Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The carp has drowned  (Read 1362 times)

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
The carp has drowned
« on: March 15, 2010, 02:49:23 pm »

Wait...what?

And this was while I was looking for a demon that buried an elf alive

Any more awesome moments?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The carp has drowned
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 02:55:22 pm »

It drowned out of water.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 04:06:49 pm »

Or it got an injured body part necessary to breathing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 04:09:41 pm »

Drowning is a relative term.
We breathe air, a gaseous compound of innumerable elements and materials, in order to survive.
Water in the lungs kills us.

Fish "breathe" water, so to speak, in order to survive.
Air in the gills kills them.

Both of those are termed as drowning.

Thus, your drowned carp was either not in water or its gills were not functioning.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 05:30:13 pm »

This happens a lot when you adventure into deserts and the water dries up from the heat. (Your adventurer entering the area activated the fluid/temperature in the region which has been static since it was generated.)

YOU KILLED THAT CARP!

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 06:17:31 pm »

Actually, not really.  You see, it is Armok that controls whether objects or certain properties exist.  And he gets bored.  Alot.

So, whenever you create yet another naked sand-throwing death machine to frolick through the desert wastes, His attention is focused upon you, and your location.

It is around then when he does a double take at seeing the brook of flowing water, or the frozen glacier, in the improper setting, and causes it to dry up/melt.  This frequently results in the death of something.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 06:30:18 pm »

We breathe air, a gaseous compound of innumerable elements and materials, in order to survive.

Thus, your drowned carp was either not in water or its gills were not functioning.
The gills of a fish actually take oxygen in from the water. Technically, air is in the water, the gills just separate it from the water.
Fish can't breathe out of the water because their bodies are fit to take air from the water.

So I'm basically agreeing and this post is nothing more than trying to add science to whatever law-defying dimension DF takes place in.
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 03:20:16 am »

The gills of a fish actually take oxygen in from the water. Technically, air is in the water, the gills just separate it from the water.
Fish can't breathe out of the water because their bodies are fit to take air from the water.

So I'm basically agreeing and this post is nothing more than trying to add science to whatever law-defying dimension DF takes place in.

Likewise, technically our lungs can also breathe the air in the water, it's just that there isn't enough oxygen to support our respiration. So if the water had more oxygen, we'd actually be able to survive for a while in it.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 11:28:28 am »

No, the reason fish die out of water is because air isn't dense enough, and their gills collapse on themselves. Other than that, it is actually possible for them to breathe air, if it could inflate their gills enough.
Another interesting fact is that if you hold a fish by the tail and keep it from swimming forward, it'll suffocate(in RL. You might be able to mod the tail in as a "throat" though).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 12:13:01 pm »

Another interesting fact is that if you hold a fish by the tail and keep it from swimming forward, it'll suffocate(in RL. You might be able to mod the tail in as a "throat" though).
Depends on the fish.  Most ray-finned fish can pump water through their gills just fine without moving.  It's mostly just sharks that need to keep swimming forward to breath, and even then not all need to.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.