Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: global disasters  (Read 2868 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
global disasters
« on: March 16, 2010, 02:02:32 pm »

Global disasters should be part of world generation and normal game play.  Floods (global and local), volcano’s, earthquakes, meteors, ext.
   Just imagine it, your liaison has arrived,  “I must speak to you of  a matter of absolute urgency”

“thank you for seeing me in private, reports of a massive flood have been reported, the Civ:race city/village/fortress:name has already been consumed by the riseing/surging tide (rate of flood)”
Then you have to race to seal your fortress up and survive out the flood.  During and after the flood you should get survivors and the displaced to tend to, you also need to encase your self in something that can withstand the pressure.

Earthquakes could be beneficial (ie reveal part of the mountain or cause a chasm to form). And harmful (happens right in the middle of your fortress)  (retrofit with supports)
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: global disasters
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 02:10:39 pm »

Floods (global and local), volcano’s, earthquakes, meteors, ext.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 02:58:23 pm »

I must say, disappointing as it sounds, I don't think this would work. DF is already very random and sometimes straight-out crazy, but this would not do good. This could result in many angry players and savescums, nobody wants their fortress to be flooded or ripped apart for no obvious reason!
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 03:30:31 pm »

I suggested something like that, but I did'nt talk about floods and earthquakes, but about meteors and global frosting(Ice age)

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 03:31:54 pm »

Now climate changes sound more like it :3 would go extremely fast though
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 03:35:02 pm »

The problem with flooding is that players can start fortresses in low-altitude areas.  If your fort is in such an area, there's a chance that the flooding will swallow up your fortress without warning - which sounds a lot like the instant loss scenario of the old 2D days, only you don't know when or if it will happen until it already has.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 05:11:27 pm »

The problem with flooding is that players can start fortresses in low-altitude areas.  If your fort is in such an area, there's a chance that the flooding will swallow up your fortress without warning - which sounds a lot like the instant loss scenario of the old 2D days, only you don't know when or if it will happen until it already has.
instant loss scenario?

you make some great points on the idea, though the ice age mechanic would work out great, maybe you it would get so cold that you would have to pump magma or burn things to keep warm
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 06:15:54 pm »

I think there should at least be random seasons of very hot and very cold weather.  Maybe I simply haven't played the game enough, but it seems like the only variations I get are very minor throughout the year.  I haven't found a place that has dry grass and empty pools in the summer and frozen water and snow in the winter.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 07:10:38 pm »

instant loss scenario?
In the old 2D version of DF, the moment you mined out adamantine, it would start a countdown towards the endgame - at the end of which, you would automatically lose without a fight.  Mining out more adamantine made the timer go down faster.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 07:32:14 pm »

Oh come on, when you dig a hole of anything it's bound to filled with something! I personally approve.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 09:42:23 pm »

Hmm... just churning out a .0001% chance for a given disaster to happen each season doesn't seem like it would be a good idea.  Chances are that you'll be doing something else with a fortress when one hits, and it will completely ruin your fortress.  Or that you'll prepare for it and it will never come.

Now, what I would be much more interested in seeing is if they were tied to things more within your control.  Pissing off a god, or using/misusing a specific artifact, or being named as public enemy number one by all the elven nations so that they band together in a ritual to create an earthquake (that you'd be able to march out and interrupt, if you had enough spies/whatever) on your location is a lot more interesting IMO.  But it will require other renovations to the game first.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 11:24:28 am »

Urist McNoble has mandated the construction of a wooden ark
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 12:45:58 pm »

Urist McNoble has mandated the construction of a wooden ark

Would it be inappropriote to joke about Urist McJesus being hammered for failing to meet a mandate?

... to a cross?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Atanamis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 12:55:49 pm »

I really think global anything needs to wait until we have more interaction with the rest of the map than we do now. Long term we'll be sending out caravans, owning adjacent towns, etc. As that expansion happens, it makes more sense to look at large scale issues. I would imagine that devastation of a fort by such disasters would be rare, and that they could be easily disabled in the raw files for those who hate the idea.

Currently listed as a "Long-Term Arc":
TERRAIN/WEATHER/SWIMMING/FLYING/BOATS: Boats of some kind might go in early to make different regions more accessible, but you won't be able to be a pirate or an undersea civ for quite a while. Rivers freeze with daily temperatures instead of seasonal temperatures. Realize river and ocean squares when you visit them (forcing town layouts to adapt). Realize interesting canyons and so on in such areas. Track hurricanes and other major storm/disasters, in-game and during world gen. Thunderstorms with lightning strikes (with corresponding lighting effects) and hail. Levels of rainfall. Eating snow, making snowballs and picking up hail during and after hail storms. Tornados with wind flows that push items, projectiles and creatures. Proper eclipse modeling. Tides, deep oceans and pearl-diving, etc. More intricate interplay between cliff faces, inner rivers and outer rivers, using Z coord and waterfalls.

Former Threads (for additional ideas):
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=3827.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24435.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5083.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=4046.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=48893.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5135.0
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:00:44 pm by Atanamis »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 01:54:00 pm »

in world gen even small events can make some fun.
i.e. in 31 December 406 the rhine froze,mixed groups of barbarians crossed, four year later rome was sacked.

yes rome had other problems but it was the push that set the ball roleing.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: [1] 2 3