Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: The Jasper of Infinity  (Read 7070 times)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Jasper of Infinity
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2010, 08:16:55 pm »

well, either way, there isn't really infinite surface area and theres no point in arguing about it, so let's just drop it here.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2010, 10:43:11 pm »

well, either way, there isn't really infinite surface area and theres no point in arguing about it, so let's just drop it here.
Not that you know of.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 07:37:55 am »

Not that you know of.
ok, I'm confused is that comment supposed to say that there is a point in arguing about it, or that there is infinite surface area? Or something else entirely?

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2010, 08:39:27 am »

Not that you know of.
ok, I'm confused is that comment supposed to say that there is a point in arguing about it, or that there is infinite surface area? Or something else entirely?
Parallel universes with a given infinite time. Anythings possible.

(Unless I'm incredibly wrong?)
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2010, 08:53:10 am »

Not that you know of.

If you're talking about there being a point to arguing it, then yes. If you're talking about the infinite surface area, not really. There are mathematical limitations, as I described earlier with my post describing recursive functions. With a fractal it's the same thing in 3d. You can have up to many times the initial surface area, depending on the size and placement of the recursions, but it will still be a finite value. So unless the fundamental laws of math are changed then no. Theoretically, I suppose they could be though. I wonder how different things would be if 1 + 1  equaled 3?

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2010, 09:21:51 am »

Not that you know of.

If you're talking about there being a point to arguing it, then yes. If you're talking about the infinite surface area, not really. There are mathematical limitations, as I described earlier with my post describing recursive functions. With a fractal it's the same thing in 3d. You can have up to many times the initial surface area, depending on the size and placement of the recursions, but it will still be a finite value. So unless the fundamental laws of math are changed then no. Theoretically, I suppose they could be though. I wonder how different things would be if 1 + 1  equaled 3?
3D? what if we went into another dimension?
There is some world where 1 + 1 does equal 3...I just cannot imagine how though, but it's possible.
But I guess infinite cannot be applied here - since nothing is really constantly going up and up.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 09:23:59 am by Dabi »

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2010, 09:56:13 am »

Well, I suppose we could go into the 4th dimension, which is time. We could just add the surface areas together from one second to the next, and then we'd have a growing surface area until time ends, but given the laws of entropy, the universe will eventually end and it would be a very large number, but not infinite. Besides which, we have yet to invent time travel so for all terms and purposes it would still be the small finite amount of a 3d rendition.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2010, 10:11:22 am »

Well, I suppose we could go into the 4th dimension, which is time. We could just add the surface areas together from one second to the next, and then we'd have a growing surface area until time ends, but given the laws of entropy, the universe will eventually end and it would be a very large number, but not infinite. Besides which, we have yet to invent time travel so for all terms and purposes it would still be the small finite amount of a 3d rendition.
Time travel has been proven. But it's been said that you can only go back and with the machine you can only go back. So if someone creates it today - we can only go back to today. Not future.
But even after 4th dimension, just keep going and going was what I meant.

(tired..time to sleep its affecting my memory.)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 10:13:18 am by Dabi »

Fictionpuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2010, 04:34:46 pm »

Time travel has been proven.
[Citation Needed]

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2010, 04:41:13 pm »

1.4 + 1.4 = 2.8
Round off the values, you get
1 + 1 = 3
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2010, 05:39:06 pm »

on the subject of time travel:
http://xkcd.com/716/
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2010, 06:30:33 pm »

I believe that practical time travel is an impossibility.  What I mean by practical is that you can travel significant distances in time and space (unless time is somewhat anchored to mass, in which case, traveling back in time but not space doesn't mean you end up in the cold vacuum* of interstellar space).

My reasoning is thus: Historical events of note are not overrun with tourists, and there are lotteries where nobody wins.

If something can be done, it can be done again, and since time extends for a very, very long time, if practical time travel was possible, we'd be overrun.

*note: vacuum isn't cold.  It isn't anything which is the point of being a vacuum

----------------------

Now, to get back on the topic of infinite recursion:  I hope you're not trying to get the universe to take a Core Dump.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2010, 05:35:58 am »

Time travel has been proven.
[Citation Needed]
I guess I should have said theory(Mainly because I've watched a few documentaries on the subject and I cannot prove if each thing said is true/false)
Well, It's a bit of information to pull off my head. But from what I remember: A paradox would be created that if you were to travel back in time...but thats a theory, noone knows what would happen.

Edit: one of the links to a documentary i've watched on this subject: http://www.documentary-log.com/d276-the-worlds-first-time-machine/
(Note: I don't believe everything I hear.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 05:38:31 am by Dabi »

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2010, 05:49:02 am »

Quote from: zwei link=topic=51210.msg1094039#msg1094039
In related news, Achilles can never out-run turtle.

Why are people still posting in this thread? It was already won.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 06:12:12 am by shadow_archmagi »
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2010, 06:16:53 am »

Actually, considering that the jasper in question is engraved with itself, the infinite regression formed would result in the item's mass asymptoting to zero. I think.

Of course, I also think Urist McGemCarvingEscher has actually created dilithium, and that Urist McScotty needs to reverse the polarity in a preemptive measure to fix the Enterprise magma turbines before the klingons Clowns can TECHNOBABBLETECHNOBABBLETECH!
TECHNOBABBLETECHNOBABBLETECH!
BABBLETECH!
Thanks, now I'm picturing a raving Battlemech staggering through the suburbs with a tank of ethanol.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9