Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2021151 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12225 on: May 27, 2016, 03:05:17 pm »

Crush. Kill. Destroy. Swag.

Spoiler: screenshot (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I have since made a gimmick out of literally beating enemies over the head with proof of their own mortality, via wielding the corpse of a local noble. I plan to make my third target the nearby town, in the hopes of upgrading my corpse club from a lady to a law-giver.

I lodged a corpse. In someone's skull.

Perhaps after I upgrade my bludgeon, I'll go hunting the goblins and maybe see if I can score a demonic waifu of my own...or rather, kill one and beat people to death with its corpse.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 07:29:10 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #12226 on: May 29, 2016, 10:42:45 am »

I should preface this by saying that I'm playing with a custom race that amounts to human pokemon (I tried actual pokemon, but quadrupeds fell flat on their face so I decided to scrap that).

Most recently, I accidentally stumbled across a Bronze Colossus long before I was in any shape to fight one. I had 3 companions (glitch) and no way to tell them to flee (as far as I knew), and I wasn't going to abandon them, so me with my iron/bronze mixed armor, almost no levels beyond what I started with (granted, that was max Strength, Lv15 dodging, and Lv10 hammer), and a +bronze warhammer+ and short sword, started fighting a bronze colossus, alongside a lasher with a wooden whip (Jirdo), a marksman that couldn't didn't know how to use their crossbow for some weird reason (Tikbo), and a wrestler turned pickaxe miner that had dominated everything beforehand with a ☼Iron Pick☼ and probably had more kills than me (Emmun).
I quickly realized that everyone's everything was just bouncing off (which was to be expected). I turned to my hammer, which had been somewhat neglected in favor of the sword, and took a swing.

Progress. It was here that I committed. I would kill this bronze colossus or die trying.
What followed was 2 hours of me dodging blow after blow when he attacked me as my allies were slowly mauled, me hammering away as much as I could.

Emmun was the first to fall, despite her durability. Tikbo's foot was pulped not long after, as well as Jirdo's, before Jirdo got sent flying. At the 2 hour mark, Emmun was still the only casualty, but only just. Then the giant finally landed a blow on me and shredded my foot. Following this was another 2 hours of dodging somehow, while the colossus tried to beat on us with a wool glove.

I was the last to die, over 4 hours in, having left him pockmarked with dents everywhere.

My current goal is to build up a new adventurer party and take the colossus down. This is easier said than done, because the civilization I picked had been ravaged by goblin sieges, leaving only a hamlet and 4 camps. Luckily, that gave me a gargantuan selection of armor along with a fair few weapons to choose from, even after the first adventurer took all they could.
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12227 on: May 29, 2016, 11:11:15 am »

Huehuehue. If you're able to dent it, it can be killed. Focus exclusively on the head, upper body, or lower body and eventually it'll pulp. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #12228 on: May 29, 2016, 02:42:44 pm »

Meanwhile, I'm thinking of making a narrative modded community adventure thread, with voting processes for different actions and those types of things - we haven't had one of those in a while.

Right now, I'm setting up a thing in the world I plan to use for that - a tiny shack out in the wilderness, nearby a waterfall, where a trio of cannibalistic serial killers is supposed to dwell. Gonna have to go out into the nearby villages and drag peoples bodies to the shack and "decorate" the house with them.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12229 on: May 29, 2016, 06:25:54 pm »

At last, my target is in sight. I will whup this motherfucker and beat people to death with its corpse.

EDIT:

After a prolonged back-and-forth where I managed to do almost nothing to it, I managed to grab it by the head, gouge its eyes out, then stave its head in with my old weapon. The lady's corpse has earned 190 notable kills, and 46 other kills. But now, I have a new weapon.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 06:58:12 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12230 on: May 29, 2016, 08:01:28 pm »

I found a fun new trick while I was playing around with minecarts earlier in a region of badlands full of bandit camps.

The Hammer of the Gods.

So much fun.

I did have to practice at it a bit before I got the hang of it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I got better though.

So now you better stop, and rebuild all your ruins, cause peace and love can't win the day, in spite of all your losing.

Though, this one elite bowelf was acting eerily intelligent.

Every time I came around for a pass they'd beeline for a cactus, then linger a square away, so my approach angles get cut dramatically, meaning I couldn't manage more than clipping them until the 10th time around.

Though there's a downside, all the stray carts flying off into the desert tended to end up slamming into various critters, and that made them histfigs apparently...

Nearly 1600 pages of rumors... fuck.

So I went for a bash at an elf library before retiring to clear the list so it doesn't take 30 seconds or more just to tell someone about the roc and bandits I killed.

It was terribly laggy there so I unloaded a minecart full of minecarts into the crowd, then rode across and started flinging them around the scholar melee when I noticed that despite standing on the little ceiling layer of the library tree I still got the option to ride a minecart.

I hoped against hope that I would still be that high, and just scooting around magically on the cart, but then I noticed how it zooped me down onto the cart and got an idea, which the carts I had previously scattered into the crowd turned into a scene from an action movie!

Hopping from cart to cart, kicking the old one away into a fresh chunk of scholars biting each other to death, and scooting off to the next before leaving the whole hyperliterate moshpit a lot more moshed. :D

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12231 on: May 29, 2016, 08:09:03 pm »

So can you muck about in minecarts if you obtain one or mod in a way to make one, or did you use DFHack sorcery? owo
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12232 on: May 29, 2016, 08:35:32 pm »

I'm gonna guess a reaction to produce minecarts for free.

I always had bad luck with them so i tend to avoid minecarts now, after giving more than one adventurer a lobotomy when intersecting a wall.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12233 on: May 29, 2016, 08:39:07 pm »

Oh, and they are DEFINITELY not safe. Despite being extremely careful, fully armored, megabuffed, and way more durable than an ordinary dorf I still ended up with a mangled lung at one point, mushed guts, smashed open arms and legs, and this is just from the carts whacking into me. Wouldn't survive slamming into a tree or wall very well.

But yeah, don't think dfhack is updated, I just changed the carpenter reaction from making a spear or whatever to making a minecart. I was using candy because I was trying to cast obsidian structures and magma is damn heavy, but then I saw how fun bouncing them off these bandits was so I switched it to spit out steel instead of whichever log I fed it. (Just left the green glass furniture from the hyperdecay bug cause it's pretty.) Though some of them were found in various tombs and whatnot, the iron one I was riding up at the top is why I whipped up the steel ones.

Oh, I actually started playing with them today because I was trying to fill a river flood plain and it was slow with just the normal water pressure so I screwed around setting up a watergun.

I found a little river junction/shallow waterfall with a paved highway right beside it.

So I needed magma to shut off the subsurface flow to make the upper dam matter, and so the bottom floor would be below the water level.

Then I walled off the part of the highway that would get flooded and ended up putting a vaulted roof over it because the spot just craps lumber left and right.

Though I figured that I would need to do my usual routine to get magma: head to a volcano, swim down inside (I'm way beyond fireproof, a dorf is just a dwarf shaped version of my steelbone flying deity-posing dragons without firebreath, ultimately), find a candy cane and use that as a surface to drop the cart on, letting it get filled, and repeating til I get down under 1.0 speed or so.

Apparently Toady noticed you could fill a minecart with lava the same way you can with water, so, bleh.

BUT!

If you happen to have some rock flooring or rock walls and deconstruct them (which works fine, thankfully) you're left with a unit of magma. If you quickly pick it up before it cools/disappears/whatever happens, you can put it into a minecart, and when you dump out a minecart it makes a pool which can then be used to refill that minecart up to 833 units of magma, which goes to show that minecarts are so awesome they defeated math!

I set up a cistern and used it to seal up my dams.

Then when I got everything set up in the flood plain I removed part of the eastern dam to begin filling it.

It took a while though so at first I thought to try out a bucket chain method, filling the minecarts and dumping them on the low side, but that is tedious.

Sitting inside a cup with 2 tiles of 7/7, keeping it refilled with minecart magic and slamming another minecart into the wall to shoot the water where I wanted it to be? Much less tedious.

Unfortunately if you shoot too many shots in a short period of time like this and keep on using the minecart magic to refill the water it inevitably segfaults the game. So I tried to lengthen the barrel to space them out.

It worked but the carts piled up a little bit since it wasn't long enough, and when I started to lengthen it, it wound up looking like some sort of buck rogers ray gun, so I went with it.

Sadly running it at full tilt conspired with the water movement already taking place to cripple my framerate in camp.

That was annoying so I went and set up a wall and refilling cup by a bandit camp (you can see it in the "practice" gif) which was a lot of fun and surprising effective, I ended up going over there to finish off the last three or four when I got the idea to ride the cart at them, and then launching the carts while riding so I could pretend I'm a GOU Abominator from the Culture.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:43:09 pm by Max™ »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12234 on: May 29, 2016, 08:40:23 pm »

But yeah, don't think dfhack is updated, I just changed the carpenter reaction from making a spear or whatever to making a minecart. I was using candy because I was trying to cast obsidian structures and magma is damn heavy, but then I saw how fun bouncing them off these bandits was so I switched it to spit out steel instead of whichever log I fed it. (Just left the green glass furniture from the hyperdecay bug cause it's pretty.) Though some of them were found in various tombs and whatnot, the iron one I was riding up at the top is why I whipped up the steel ones.

Oooh I really need to fuck with riding minecarts sometime.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12235 on: May 29, 2016, 08:50:55 pm »

I highly recommend the fleet thing at least once, it is awesome. Set yourself up with several carts in your pack, then cross past a bandit camp or similar target rich environment. The faster you are the better, btw, but even at normal caps of 3.2~4.0 or so you can get a good ramp up on the carts as you deploy them/before you get too far away.

Do be careful, if you're trying to roleplay it in a more constrained fashion you'll probably be using wooden carts so that won't be as brutal, I didn't even notice the candy ones bouncing off of me, which forced a harsh change in tactics when I started laying down volleys of heavy ass steel carts and ran into one.

*POW*
|
\
-\
--\
---|
---|
---|
---|
--/
-/
*thud*
|
| *slide*
|
| *tumble*
|
| *really?*
|
*kshhh... done*

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12236 on: May 29, 2016, 09:08:00 pm »

Meanwhile, I'm having glorious fun pulping the surviving goblins and trolls with the corpse of their master. 15034 gammas of pain.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12237 on: May 29, 2016, 09:18:46 pm »

Yeah, that's always fun too. I did that in a town the other day, walked up to see two saltwater crocodile men coming out of a building with battle taking place inside.

Ok, why are they running?

Walk in, what's worse than a giant zombie dingo in your living room?

Another one chewing on a cave dragon.

Pulped the dragon, punted the doggies away, grabbed the dragon corpse and brained the one that lived, plus the two crocs outside, and a few various beasties just because it was amusing.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12238 on: May 29, 2016, 09:23:02 pm »

Also, I got titled at some point: The Persuasive Reigns.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12239 on: May 29, 2016, 09:26:43 pm »

I had a kickass sounding one earlier that I either lost from the watergun segfaults or one from all the random animals out in the bandit camp minecart massacre. The Moral Virgin of Somethinging... but when I got the kill back I ended up as Festive Punchbabies the Tattooed Nations of Rock.
Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 1104