Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 847 848 [849] 850 851 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2022753 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12720 on: July 19, 2016, 03:37:51 pm »

I CAN'T KILL THIS BRONZE COLOSSUS. IT REFUSES TO BE SLAIN.

Three times I've fought with it, him never able to hit me or pierce my 3 shields, and I never able to actually do any damage. Jumping Spider bro must be victorious!

Last time I had one to deal with, I was a kobold. Get some iron bolts, wield the whole damn stack, remove kebab colossus.

Also. How read that I'd read this comment while listening to a Megalovania remix. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12721 on: July 20, 2016, 04:05:15 pm »

I hit a dwarf in the lower body with a live slug until he exploded into gore. >. >

The slug was unharmed.

I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12722 on: July 20, 2016, 06:24:51 pm »

Because physics.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12723 on: July 20, 2016, 07:28:52 pm »

I slew the Colossus. Using a bronze scourge that I liberated from my dead lasher friend.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12724 on: July 21, 2016, 12:12:24 am »

Kamuk's scouted the 3 bandit camps in the area. Only one was run by a weapon master (who he avoided), the other two had leaders of a much lower stature. Aside from the two lower end bosses, Kamuk's mostly been occupied with the bandit patrols issuing from each camp. It was all good work as his Shield User skill advanced deep into the territory between Professional (level 9) and Accomplished (lvl 10). His masterwork apple wood shield eventually developed signs of wear after these encounters.

Back in town, Kamuk heads toward the keep. The leather of choice in these parts is longfin mako shark. It's nice to see that most shops have stock. The shop Kamuk visits is run by a human pikeman.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's just kind of nifty. A fellow of dual trade.

The lag near the keep is low for once. The keep itself is populated with the usual denizens of varying name.

Of course, the true destination of this visit is below the 1st level of the keep. Plenty of goblin bandits here.
The first 4-6 he works with the iron pick. Miner does train up toughness which has been lagging due to the fact that Kamuk only wears leather leggings, leather helm and leather armor, so Armor skill, which also trains toughness during every combat move, has advanced very slowly.

Kamuk plays marksdwarf agains the other the other goblins. His better agility and his level 10 marksdwarf skill allow him to work through the delay after firing a bit faster. You can play a no cheese ranged game only when your character has a high enough range weapon/archery skill to lessen the firing delay, and when using the precaution of a shield (also with a very high skill stat). Narratively/roleplay-wise only the crossbow makes sense with a shield.

Crossbow fire is to ground them and perhaps get them to drop their weapons, before Kamuk switches to iron pick melee. Occasionally there's the odd archer's duel.

All good work to get in as by the time Kamuk encounters their leader, a goblin priestess pikemaster, he's reached level 11 in both Shield User and Marksdwarf.
She's encased in masterwork armor.

The combat sequence Kamuk's been using for most of the run is a countergrabber's  game. He waits to see the opponent's attack and then manually blocks to draw the opponent into recovery, so as to set up the grab attack. Here this sequence is most useful as his level 10 wrestling skill can use the advantage of recovery's debuff/nerfed defensive roll on what's likely to be the opponent's level 11 Dodger skill. Once the opponent has been grabbed, Kamuk either uses the take down (faster) or the throw (can stun). Once the opponent has been grounded, he strikes the foot or leg with whatever weapon, keeping them there:
1. Wait for attack.
2. Block to draw into recovery to set up grab.
(Apparently I never saved the block shot showing her recovery stage -_-)
3. Grab then takedown. Kamuk opts for the faster choice first. He'd go for the longer tick count of a throw if he felt he needed the stun effect. But that would be the case if he was undershooting and fighting from lower stats, as opposed to here where both he and the pikemaster are on equal footing:
4. Leg/foot shot. EDIT: Just a little interesting point to flesh out. The leg/foot attack here should be done when you see the opponent standing up. This costs a tick. My character only uses quick attack which normally costs 4 ticks (2 to prepare and 2 for recovery). The stand up drops the tick cost to 3, which means the only attacks that can come through are their quick attack, grab attack, wild attack (all three are 2 to prepare), standard attack which is 3 to prepare. It's also better to throw to stun if the opponent is a shield user to prep for the leg/foot shot as their dodge/block/parry will be debuffed.
The final exchange is a good one. Normally if you're essentially min-maxing a fight you'd never auto-block or counter an attack with one of your own when you can apply a manual block to get the very best defensive roll, just out of safety and efficiency, and to get the opponent into recovery prior to launching your attack. But to give her her due, Kamuk opts to stand and trade. He responds to her incoming attack with an attack of his own:

Later during the last clean up fight, the masterwork apple wood shield comes to its end. It breaks without being struck. I guess the tick count meter for its life just ran out:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 05:26:57 am by peasant cretin »

SenorMeltyface

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12725 on: July 21, 2016, 12:25:27 am »

So I walked in on this:

A bunch of dwarven poets beating the snot out of one elven bard, whilst all the goblin poets run away. Maybe the elf had some really inflammatory opinions about cannibalism? I think the name of the site is kind of fitting too.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12726 on: July 21, 2016, 04:30:39 am »

There was a monster cave nearby, and I was hoping to find a semi-megabeast inside, or just run in terror from a dragon or hydra. What I found was even more odd. There was a bandit sitting in the cave, and there were dragon eggs sitting about. I asked him about the local area, and he pointed me to the cave I was standing in, saying he didn't know the way or anyone who could bring me there. As I exited the cave, he became hostile and killed me with a lucky dagger to the lungs.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12727 on: July 21, 2016, 08:48:43 am »

So I walked in on this:

A bunch of dwarven poets beating the snot out of one elven bard, whilst all the goblin poets run away. Maybe the elf had some really inflammatory opinions about cannibalism? I think the name of the site is kind of fitting too.
Bards in worldgen will move to study in places where people don't necessarily like them, leading to scenes like this when you show up. I've seen mead halls where several hundred bards are busy murdering each other.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12728 on: July 21, 2016, 09:56:56 am »

There was a monster cave nearby, and I was hoping to find a semi-megabeast inside, or just run in terror from a dragon or hydra. What I found was even more odd. There was a bandit sitting in the cave, and there were dragon eggs sitting about. I asked him about the local area, and he pointed me to the cave I was standing in, saying he didn't know the way or anyone who could bring me there. As I exited the cave, he became hostile and killed me with a lucky dagger to the lungs.
Sounds like you stumbled upon an exotic pet smuggling operation.

I don't know nuthin'! The only thing here is this cave. Which I've never heard of. And neither have you! *stab*
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 10:07:21 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12729 on: July 21, 2016, 10:56:49 am »

Dragon eggs???!!! could you give me the save?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #12730 on: July 21, 2016, 03:41:39 pm »

Well uhh, I'm doing a test-run for one of my new modded races, and along with my companions I fought 3 goblin bandits who were raiding a hamlet.

I killed one, my companion killed another, and the last one gave me vibes of...that one incident.

He jumped down a waterfall that was nearby rather than fight me.

He started drowning, before the water froze over and he was encased in ice.

I...don't know how to feel about this.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12731 on: July 21, 2016, 03:48:35 pm »

Sure, I'll upload it for you later today, when my internet's done being on a slowdown.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12732 on: July 21, 2016, 04:07:56 pm »

Sure, I'll upload it for you later today, when my internet's done being on a slowdown.
would you mind PMing it to me? this is one of the more active threads, and I'm afraid I might lose the location of the dragon egg save, if you don't PM it to me
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12733 on: July 22, 2016, 12:17:46 am »

What if you found a weredragon?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12734 on: July 22, 2016, 12:30:33 am »

What if you found a weredragon?
Werebeasts don't use clothes or weapons. It's against the unspoken rules.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 847 848 [849] 850 851 ... 1104