Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 851 852 [853] 854 855 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2022740 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12780 on: July 27, 2016, 09:20:16 pm »

That was a bit more than just a good battle.
http://www.truimagz.com/host/rumrusher/folder1/maximum-fun.png
made this before the description but sums up the next step in DF FUN.
"why build in hell when you can build in the magma Sea."
Glorious, that sums it up surprisingly well, though now I'm dealing with the girl scout infestation.

I put walls up to stopper the waterfalls so the tube would fill all the way, and discovered that dropping 632 urist logs into magma is exciting!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then I went up top and checked what was going on, there's been an asterisk at the northwest corner of my camp for months now, I'm guessing this is what goblin girl scouts do for summer camp?

Course, after getting their attention they started hassling me wanting me to buy some goblin mints or treboils.

They got the whole crew out on my porch.

Course, that many scouts trying to make a sale, things get a little dangerous if they get clumsy.

I tried to explain politely that they should go try somewhere else, or perhaps just go home, but I couldn't get my point across.

I guessed I just had to make more of an effort to express my POINT clearly.

Finally I decided to see how they liked having me follow them around being annoying.
The results have been... inconclusive, seems the way they play campground games leaves them rather unconcerned with me biting guts out and smashing skulls, ah well.

In brighter news, I found an elf using the divine wood template for armor and it worked great, deflected the super dense/metallic properties blood thorn bolt with a super light/metallic properties feather wood breastplate!

Also, what exactly are you looking to do with the cabinet? Have the magma pour over the side?

Wouldn't it be easier to make a cup and put the magma in, then deconstruct the bottom?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12781 on: July 27, 2016, 11:36:28 pm »

Things like this are why I handicap myself. It's easy to excel as One Slash Man, it's hard to excel as a human. I almost never become a vampire/necromancer/husk any more. Sometimes I'll do no armor runs. I'll use inferior weapons. I'll autoattack instead of using Kisat Dur. Being extremely good at Adventure Mode isn't about how many megabeasts you can kill, how fast you can run, or what kind of camp you can build - it's about finding that perfect balance between player power and enemy power. There are many ways to adjust that balance, but once you find it, you'll get stories like that one.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12782 on: July 28, 2016, 01:00:15 am »

I made a little camp in a swamp to retire in while I get a fort ready to accept all these books I lifted from the libraries of the world.

After only a couple days work an army of carp man soldiers moved in. They seem to like it here. Much more so than the nearby forest retreat they say they reclaimed for their people. I recruited a half dozen of them, and that sped up the work significantly. Then I asked everyone but my original companion to stay behind while I scouted the volcanoes nearby.

At one volcano, the game crashed upon trying to load the local area. The last save was from just after settling the camp. Damnit!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12783 on: July 28, 2016, 01:32:10 am »

After the usual I went back the the  elven lands and got myself a new pet companion, a male elf swordsmen. He was of course equipped with a wooden sword which is no good, we hunt some goblins and get him some kills, he collapsed in a emotional breakdown or something every time though, oh well he'll get used to it if he lives long enough, didn't find any weapons but got some armor.

I thought it would be a good idea to get him a divine metal sword and went down to the nearest vault...the angels are wearing armor, its not a full set just a helm, gauntlets and low boots. I can wear them, all of my yes! I don't know how good the metal is but I know it's definitely better then my iron armor, I get some armor for myself and my elf and get him a sword and shield as well, I decide to also get rid of my old clothes and put on the divine clothes as well. I'll probably have to get him some other bits of armor to protect the rest of him and get him some training.

edit: He's gotten a few more kills and he's getting braver, I held a sufficiently injured goblin in place and let the elf run away and come back a few times before he finished the job himself, if he lives long enough to become deadly it will be good to have him around, he's even got a scar, I got a new scar as well, much fun.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:54:32 am by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

VoxelMush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12784 on: July 28, 2016, 05:57:25 am »

I fight a demon master.

EDIT:

I like your character's name. xD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12785 on: July 28, 2016, 08:25:00 am »

Things like this are why I handicap myself. It's easy to excel as One Slash Man, it's hard to excel as a human. I almost never become a vampire/necromancer/husk any more. Sometimes I'll do no armor runs. I'll use inferior weapons. I'll autoattack instead of using Kisat Dur. Being extremely good at Adventure Mode isn't about how many megabeasts you can kill, how fast you can run, or what kind of camp you can build - it's about finding that perfect balance between player power and enemy power. There are many ways to adjust that balance, but once you find it, you'll get stories like that one.
Eh, it's about having adventures. I've been having more interesting adventures playing the "can I get a neat camp built before this magma falls down" minigame than I do handicapping myself. Though I do wish those damn girlscouts would take the hint... but I did set the site in the "courtyard" of a square made of dark pits and a dark fortress, so I guess I asked for it.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12786 on: July 28, 2016, 10:25:19 am »

Eh, it's about having adventures. I've been having more interesting adventures playing the "can I get a neat camp built before this magma falls down" minigame than I do handicapping myself. Though I do wish those damn girlscouts would take the hint... but I did set the site in the "courtyard" of a square made of dark pits and a dark fortress, so I guess I asked for it.
I think this story was more Max constantly having frame rate issues due to massive armies trying to figure out who build a camp in their backyard.

though this kinda got me thinking I wonder if constructions can emit heat and can one make a super heated floor that anyone steps on it catches on fire... or melts?
or make a floor that causes Freeze damage?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12787 on: July 28, 2016, 10:43:04 am »

I don't know if there really is a "being good at Adv Mode," but I do think it's for the best when everyone does the thing they're enthusiastic about. And that's all pretty subjective.

It's sort of like reading this thread. I really like reading other posters' adventures as it tells me what they like doing. If they closely detailed how they did it, maybe in the future any of us could also do it and what not. Sometimes an enthusiasm is contagious.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12788 on: July 28, 2016, 11:52:34 am »

I think this story was more Max constantly having frame rate issues due to massive armies trying to figure out who build a camp in their backyard.

though this kinda got me thinking I wonder if constructions can emit heat and can one make a super heated floor that anyone steps on it catches on fire... or melts?
or make a floor that causes Freeze damage?
The framerate wasn't actually bad, and now I gotta test out the constructions thing.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12789 on: July 28, 2016, 12:11:41 pm »

so if you continue playing a character who has the mood melancholy you gonna need to watch for edges as they will just instantly flop over them.
learn this the hard way.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12790 on: July 28, 2016, 12:22:17 pm »

What did you make me do?

Constructions don't set things on fire, sadly, the logs I dropped around the area should, but didn't, I was super disappointed at first... and then bloodsplosions started going off everywhere.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12791 on: July 28, 2016, 12:58:24 pm »

What did you make me do?

Constructions don't set things on fire, sadly, the logs I dropped around the area should, but didn't, I was super disappointed at first... and then bloodsplosions started going off everywhere.
fun fact Cabinets can hold infinite stuff if you build them. so you could build a cabinet then stuff that with loads of magma, for loads of fun it might be possible to build a trap door that contains a pocket that holds magma

so this basically rides on the "oh yeah hope the AI dumb enough to use the door holding back magma."
the cabinet is made of wood so the magma will burn through and become 7/7 units of Lava( possible in vanilla by finding a minecart then dismantling one of the roads to produce a magma unit for refilling the minecart to get lava) and since you can build the cabinet just about anywhere with stuff in it you can place this in spots.
the doors have to be made of a magma safe material to prevent burning the door ruining the trap.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12792 on: July 28, 2016, 02:06:58 pm »

Nice, my experiments with the superhot bolts led to a bug report in which I had to use the phrase "bursts of boiling blood" or variations of it like a dozen times.

Shooting someone with a bolt hot enough to boil their blood causes YOU to get hit with the bursts of boiling blood UNLESS you throw something at them first, then it switches randomly.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12793 on: July 28, 2016, 02:54:59 pm »

I like your character's name. xD
Thanks. Whenever I make a character, I hit 'random' until I get a last name that I like or I think of a good one I haven't used before. Flame Candleroared was a random name.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12794 on: July 28, 2016, 03:23:21 pm »

Returned to Kamuk's coastal camp, Paddledwellings, to do a little ranging in the area. Get to know it.

From this location Kamuk began alternating between fast and slow travel ranging/exploring, with tracking on and checking for strongest odor.

If fast travel reveals tracks/odor worth chasing, Kamuk would drop into slow travel, just to work the slow travel tracking method. It can be a bit hit or miss as you end up at times having to come back out into fast travel to pick up the trail again. The tracks leading to Oshotrul the giant leopard required alternating between slow travel tracking:

…and then the fast travel method. Fast travel has that interesting "tell" where all sites trigger a zoom in. So it's worth switching between the two.

If you're in the middle of nowhere and notice the zoom-in, it's time to work that area line by line.

This is  generally the method  my characters have used to come across unknown sites like shrines, lairs and vaults. It's a little more fun than populating the map via directions/spread rumor or in the case of vaults, a 3rd party utility. Of course, YMMV.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 03:24:52 pm by peasant cretin »
Pages: 1 ... 851 852 [853] 854 855 ... 1104