Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 866 867 [868] 869 870 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2016831 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13005 on: September 03, 2016, 12:15:23 am »

I think Random Dragon was the one who mentioned being able to breathe fire up/down z-levels, and I tested and said that was false, mea culpa.

You can breathe up or down if you target the tiles directly adjacent, including right below or above you.

@Max, it wasn't Random_Dragon, even though thematically that would have made the most sense since you know.

But it was you! Here's your post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159281.msg7087693#msg7087693

Anyhow, maybe someone should suggest that? Dragonfire being able to spread in 3D.

I mean right now in vanilla, you just cork it with your shield from 1 z-lvl up, which is not as good:

2222222@22222
11111FFFFFD11111

2 = z-lvl2
1= z-lvl1
F=fire
D=dragon

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13006 on: September 03, 2016, 12:44:18 am »

philli46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13007 on: September 03, 2016, 04:45:23 pm »

My most recent adventurer was a very successful human vampire. For 5 months he traveled, hunting other vampires and other terrors of the night. He only drank the blood of animals, and harmed no innocent human. He ended wars and united the lands under the banner of his lord. His final mission was to slay a dark creature (I can't remember exactly what it was called, but it was humanoid and scaly.). He accomplished that easy enough, however the beasts final blow caved in his breastplate, making it useless. (It was a bronze breastplate, no access to dwarves or steel on the map.) Exploring further into the beasts layer, I soon discovered that the dark creature had had a child. This child managed to break my adventurers spine, paralyzing him from the waist down. (Lack of a breastplate caused this.) I won by biting the things throat out, then dragged my sorry adventurer back to his home lord, crawled into the basement and retired. (On my way home I tore through 2 packs of wolves and a pack of dingos with nothing but my lower left molars. The dark beast had knocked the rest of em out...)

Codyrex123

• Bay Watcher
  • The Core shall be ours!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13008 on: September 03, 2016, 09:10:57 pm »

I just killed a diety in Dark ages 2: War and Mythos... Which made me a legend, the diety didn't even fight back, eventually it fainted and I just walked into it till I was reaching over-exerted, I then left it alone to talk to some lady, during that time it bled out and died.. Can someone tell me if I just broke the game or if that was suppose to be possible XD

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13009 on: September 04, 2016, 11:38:32 am »

I just killed a diety in Dark ages 2: War and Mythos... Which made me a legend, the diety didn't even fight back, eventually it fainted and I just walked into it till I was reaching over-exerted, I then left it alone to talk to some lady, during that time it bled out and died.. Can someone tell me if I just broke the game or if that was suppose to be possible XD
your playing a mod so chances are that diety had some syndromes that probably made it slow and tired. the mod loves casting debuffs on everything so anything is possible.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13010 on: September 05, 2016, 12:09:00 am »

Decided to retire Kamuk, let him go off and become a hunter, as ambusher was his highest profession-qualifying stat.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All his traits were pure dense knucklehead traits, except for anger. If you make it so your character never gets angry, you'll never lose control over them in combat. If you're playing as carefully as you can, the only time your character might get hit in the head harmlessly is at the beginning, which is kind of when you don't want him/her relegated to only wild attacks because they've become enraged.

The initial reason for making a knucklehead was I thought back in Dec/Jan that this was the way to make a character not care about anything anymore, less to become a sociopath than to nix the tendency DF characters have to complain. Even the most extreme stoic will be annoyed at bad weather, same food/booze, etc.

A thing I did notice about traits is they're all framed from the perspective of moderate normalcy. No trait of whatever degree is viewed in isolation, as in it is what it is. I guess the conclusion I came to in regard to rolling a character is you'll always have a touchy weirdo no matter what you do.

Grouse, grouse, grumble on...

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13011 on: September 05, 2016, 04:03:34 pm »

Now that I'm out and about again, the hunt continues. Purged every last bandit to be found. I was even kind enough to save their leader for last.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13012 on: September 05, 2016, 05:06:51 pm »

Playing with personalities recently, I've found what settings control which needs and how to have a character that has no needs.

A couple of the value and personality trait combinations control the same need, I think, but in general
values:          String:                              to remove:
Family               "be with family"                     -neutral -
friendship          "be with friends"                    -neutral -
eloquence          "Hear Eloquence"                   -neutral -
tradition            "Uphold tradition"                   -neutral -
artwork             "Admire art"                          -neutral -
introspection      "self-examination"                 -neutral -
harmony            "cause trouble"                     -neutral +
merriment          "make merry"                        -neutral -
craftsmanship     "craft object"                       -neutral -
martial prowess   "martial training"                   -neutral -
skill                   "practice skill"                      -neutral -
hard work           "stay occupied"                   -neutral -
leisure time         "take it easy"                      -neutral -
romance             "make romance"                   -neutral -
nature               "see animal","wander"            -neutral -
knowledge          "learn something"                 -neutral -

So all "value" values around neutral will remove the needs associated with them, and the only one that crops up from having a negative value is "cause trouble" if you dislike harmony

personality:        string:                               to remove:

greedy                              "acquire object"            - < neutral
intemperate             "drink alcohol","eat good meal"   - < neutral
avoids fights/likes brawls      "fight"                         - < neutral
harmony/discord                 "cause trouble"             - < neutral
quarreler/flatterer               "argue"                        - > neutral
austere/extravagant            "be extravagant"          - < neutral
incurious/curious                 "learn something"          - < neutral
altruistic                            "help somebody"           - < neutral
loner/gregarious                  "socialize"                   - < neutral
leisurely/frenetic                 "stay occupied"            - < neutral
excitement seeking              "excitement"                - < neutral
inclined to abstract             "abstract thinking"        - < neutral
inclined to create art           "be creative"               - < neutral

So you want these traits below neutral. Values at neutral will cause the trait to appear. The exception being quarreler/flatterer which needs to be towards the flatterer side to remove the desire to argue.

Anything that isn't listed doesn't appear to have an affect on your needs, so it can be whatever you want it to be. Maybe I missed some, though. This way you can get rid of needs that are impossible to fulfill like "eat good meal" and "make romance" and stick to easy thing like "make merry" (dance/perform music it seems) and "socialize" (talk to someone)

Also, I just started a coyote woman adventurer and immediately got into a fight with an ettin in a nearby abandoned fort. I killed him by slowly slashing away while backpedaling until he bled to death. The locals are impressed.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 05:34:28 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13013 on: September 05, 2016, 05:37:07 pm »

The best combo of needs I've found is: make merry, admire artwork, excitement, hear eloquence, practice tradition. If you luck out you can recite a single line poem and meet all of them at once, tossing in being a regular or more devoted follower of a deity lets you hit that one by literally saying hi to god while you're at it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13014 on: September 05, 2016, 05:53:40 pm »

Nonsense. Easiest need to keep fulfilled is the need to fight. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Codyrex123

• Bay Watcher
  • The Core shall be ours!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13015 on: September 05, 2016, 06:15:33 pm »

I tend to keep my needs for fight/brawling, and the need to say hi to god (I'm pretty sure that solves introspection, but I'm not sure...) all other needs I tend to find the way to remove them, and I always have power at max, cause I want all my characters to want to rule the world! :D

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13016 on: September 05, 2016, 09:05:12 pm »

Well, I found my crutch-hobbling comrade, now happily settled in the town I've become famed as a beast-slayer in. Trying to get any info on the lair my boss is sending me after. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

raeborga

• Bay Watcher
  • [STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13017 on: September 06, 2016, 01:14:48 am »

I popped a megabeast titan(?) composed of steam in a bubble.
You better believe I brag about that past violent act.

Then I climbed a tree to tell the elf that sent me (who was still terrified of this thing...).
He joined me and then ~fell asleep~ on top of me.
I wasn't able to stand up/move/climb/jump so I just slept until morning.
Now he doesn't want to move and quite frankly I'm tired of this nonsense.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #13018 on: September 06, 2016, 10:15:25 am »

I accidently made the world without having the entities have weapons or armor. I created a fort named Swordlocked. I waited until I got a cool artifact sword,  which was named Istbarlegon, Rosywanders. then I tried attacking the nest of ogres. It didn't work. They counter-attacked sucessfully, so I abandoned the fort. I made an adventurer in the dwarven fort of Wheeledsacks to try and retrieve the sword. I ventured towards the ruins, crossing a few rivers. then an asterisk moved towards me on the travel map. I tried to outrun it, but it caught with me and it turned out to be a dark troll. I managed to escape, because it attacked a passing stork. Then a little later I heard the dreaded cackle of the bogeyman. I ran around, occasionally stopping stopping to try and fight a lone bogeyman, but they were too strong for my charecter, so I was unable to kill any of them, so I kept running. suddenly, the cackling stopped. I  don't what caused them to stop attacking, but my charecter survived the bogeymen.
Then I went onward until I stumbled onto a Vault. I had never seen a vault before, so I curiously entered the Vault. I went up some stairs, and through a door, and saw a Warring Servant. It was a eyeless humanoid. I tried to fight it fairly, but it knocked me into a pit, where I broke my foot. I went upstairs, where I found the warring servant, and threw it down the same pit, where almost every body part was broken. I quickly took out my knife, and ended it's life with a stroke. Then I found and defeated several Warriors of Peachwill.I didn't want to press my luck, so I got out of there and ventured forth towards Swordlocked, and Rosywanders. I got there with little incident(there were some buzzards, who tore my hair, wrecking my hairstyle. well for the crime of Messing Up Heroic Hair, they were each fined 1 life). I had a little trouble finding Rosywanders. After I found it, I discovered some goblins at the edge. I charged them, screaming "It was raining on me. I feel so dejected.". seems I understated the the amount of goblins at the place as 'some'. there were at least eleven goblins, and many more trolls, ogres, and beak dogs. I killed all the goblins I could find, but I had trouble with the ogres and trolls, as they were unexpectedly armored in cloaks. I managed to escape with my life, and more 17 kills, though. I was heading back to the vault, when I discovered a nigh troll. I wasn't sure if I was ready for it, when I ran behind a ogre. the ogre totally ignored me, and punched the night troll! becoming a little bolder, I joined forces with the ogre against the night troll. As I was finishing off the night troll, I accidently attacked the ogre, igniting his anger, but I quickly killed them both with two quick slashes of my sword. by this point, my charecter had scars on pretty much every scar-able body part, except his neck and upper body, and his nose was broken(the ogre that comitted the crime refused to pay for a Heroic Nosejob, so I broke his limbs). I traveled through the vault killing all the angels in site. I was doing a pretty good job, slicing all my foes with rosywander, when suddenly a Warrior of Peachwill Master Swordsman showed up. I tried valiantly against him, but he parried all my blows, and when i tried to disarm him, he cut off my hand, then he split my skull.

Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13019 on: September 06, 2016, 11:06:39 am »

Nonsense. Easiest need to keep fulfilled is the need to fight. o3o
Unless you're lurking on the edge of a cavern-volcano tube to avoid travel map encounters and specifically want to avoid the risk of spawning new populations of wildlife in your campsite due to the population explosion bug.
Pages: 1 ... 866 867 [868] 869 870 ... 1103