Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 873 874 [875] 876 877 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2016823 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13110 on: October 03, 2016, 05:53:35 pm »

so starting to wonder if the ability to unlock talking and giving clothes and items to zombies worth the potential chance the game straight up crashes.
also I probably should test what causes the crash seems like it goes away if you save and load but I'm not so sure.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13111 on: October 04, 2016, 09:11:15 am »

I just cut down a tree by a lake, and a bunch of hippos fell out! :D

Ah, the elusive tree-hippo. A rare sight indeed!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #13112 on: October 04, 2016, 04:50:44 pm »

Well, I just had one of the coolest fights in a while.

I wandered around a town, eventually coming across an asterisk.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It turned out to be a zombie gorecyclops - for whatever reason the game spawned us on a rooftop as well.
Me and my companion mostly just slashed at it ineffectively, until eventually the gorecyclops punched my companion's head into mush - I took her long sword incase it was any better than my sabre.
I continued for a while before eventually dropping off the rooftop along with the undead giant.
The fighting continued in the streets down below - some of the citizens got caught in the fighting. The priest is still alive but some leatherworker died.
I eventually managed to cleave it's head asunder, but it took a while - still, it was a pretty good fight. I probably wouldn't have survived if not for the fact that I'm a sorcerer at this point and don't get tired.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13113 on: October 04, 2016, 06:25:36 pm »

That's awesome. Nothing beats a good hard fight.

Also, I just noticed the thing in your sig about the Planes of Portent. The name is awfully similar to my own Land of Omen, the DF world I'm running a D&Desque campaign in.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #13114 on: October 04, 2016, 06:50:19 pm »

That's awesome. Nothing beats a good hard fight.

Also, I just noticed the thing in your sig about the Planes of Portent. The name is awfully similar to my own Land of Omen, the DF world I'm running a D&Desque campaign in.
I'll probably have to do a sequel sometime once I do a few more modpack updates - truth be told I sorta lost motivation doing the story since I was trying to make updates too quickly.

Also, as the same adventurer I cleared out several bandit camps, full of other high elves, ogres, troggs and saberon. I took them out with two gorloc companions - one was missing an eye from some world-gen fight, the other was completely unharmed. Oddly enough, neither died or suffered crippling injuries even though we fought through a camp of 3 troggs and 8 saberon, and also a camp of around 19 ogres; I let both of them retire. I eventually retired myself after defeating some trogg bandits harassing a hamlet - I haven't seen the ruffians being led by their own overlord before, though, which was neat even though all he used was a regular slicing knife.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13115 on: October 04, 2016, 07:24:55 pm »

Aside from an unfortunate encounter with a giant toad, this run has had little violence.
Imush converted a room at Boardbeak's tavern into a miscellaneous workshop. He spent a day riving date palm and tower-cap logs so as to make the components for a shield, and a bow.

He's beginning to become unfocused as he has an intense need to think abstractly.
In dropping needs down to 4, I gambled on the idea of boosting one to the highest with the hope that he'd come across a library in his first two fortresses. No such luck. Imush will need to head up 5N, 2W in terms of quest map tiles, to the fortress Oceanink to see if they have a library.

Once again a trade depot (Boardbeak) has scuttled itself. I thought it was perhaps that bug Goblincookie once mentioned, but it may also be due to incursions by reptile men/women. I'm likely wrong about this, but it could also be the non-civ dwarfs who seems to be invading.
None of these soldiers have beards. In the past, trade depots that self destructed often had a beardless army to contend with as well. All supposition.

Still smoothing out the reactions. Might dump this world in a bit as I'm getting to that place where there's just enough that needs to be altered to warrant a regen.

Beesarewatchingyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13116 on: October 04, 2016, 08:02:11 pm »

My new adventurer has one purpose in life: to document every weird syndrome in the world. I'll be gathering evil rain, forgotten beast blood,  spooky dust and other materials. Then with the help of a goblet and some very trusting elves, I'm going to do science. End goal is setting up a museum of some kind.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:02:12 pm by Beesarewatchingyou »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13117 on: October 04, 2016, 08:17:58 pm »

My new adventure has one purpose in life: to document every weird syndrome in the world. I'll be gathering evil rain, forgotten beast blood,  spooky dust and other materials. Then with the help of a goblet and some very trusting elves, I'm going to do science. End goal is setting up a museum of some kind.

Build the museum in fort mode! Then bring your adventurer there and retire as curator.

That way you can collect live specimens and everything.

Urist's Fantastical House of Natural Wonders.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Beesarewatchingyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13118 on: October 04, 2016, 10:28:43 pm »

My new adventure has one purpose in life: to document every weird syndrome in the world. I'll be gathering evil rain, forgotten beast blood,  spooky dust and other materials. Then with the help of a goblet and some very trusting elves, I'm going to do science. End goal is setting up a museum of some kind.

Build the museum in fort mode! Then bring your adventurer there and retire as curator.

That way you can collect live specimens and everything.

Urist's Fantastical House of Natural Wonders.

Good idea. :) Could make it into some kind of spooky carnival-themed fort. Every year or so I could unretire the adventurer and search for gruesome stuff to put in the House of Horrors.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:32:52 pm by Beesarewatchingyou »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13119 on: October 05, 2016, 02:24:14 am »

I think you can place items on tables in adventure mode so putting stuff on display is doable in camps.
"body swapping and YOU!"

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #13120 on: October 05, 2016, 10:31:56 am »

I think you can place items on tables in adventure mode so putting stuff on display is doable in camps.
you can also put stuff in "display" cabinets, and then build the cabinet.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13121 on: October 06, 2016, 10:39:44 pm »

Okay some how this dang willow tree branches are thick enough that being under it counted as being inside and ended the cackling as soon as the game jump me out of fast travel.
took 1 step and poof cackling is over
so I guess it's true then Some trees do provide Shade against bogeymen.
my luck just when you want one the game takes it away.

edit: okay found a forest resort library in this modded game and scour the place to find the autobiography book.
now i got access to writing books about my character... who more likely written a book about how they written an autobiography and did nothing newsworthy.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 10:33:01 am by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13122 on: October 08, 2016, 07:02:06 pm »

My adventurer went back to the goblin pits to rescue a lost companion only to discover that he had been killed just a few hours before.  She kind of lost it and did the whole Anakin Skywalker thing.  Since her goal is to bring peace to the world (not balance to the force!), she decided to become a travelling bard, give performances to Lords and Ladies and avoid conflict if possible.

I discovered a couple of things.  First, I think that bragging about your violent deeds seems to be fixed.  I bragged about a few things and was careful never to spread rumours about those things.  I noticed my companions talking about them and fairly quickly my reputation preceded me.  When I showed up to a town and asked about myself, many times they already knew about that act.  This is great because it saves a lot of time scrolling through the rumour list.

I also noticed that when you notice a robbery, you can report it using the rumour list.  I never realised that before.  I'm going to keep a closer eye on it in the future.

As for performing, I've had terrible trouble increasing my speaking skill.  Stories seems to improve it almost imperceptibly.  After hundreds of stories, it had grown only about 10% the way through novice (starting at novice!).  When I started to mix poetry into the mix, I got a lot more success.

In order to learn new stories, the way to do it is to ask people about the current, ruler, surrounding area and the structure that you are in.  This seems to top you up with stories about the area.  You can ask more than once and will often get different information.  After that, you can tell stories about anything that you've asked about.

I discovered that people have preferences for types of poems.  Possibly it's related to the "Likes to hear the sound of the Pregnant Willows" that you see in fortress mode.  The interesting thing is that if a poetic form has riddles and the listener likes riddles, they will say so.  If they like sombre poems, then they will hate light hearted poems and will also say so.

I started trying to select poems, songs, dances and stories that would appeal to the lord/lady I was performing for.  I looked at their reaction and then tried to divine what they would like to hear/see next.  Not only did this make performances a *lot* more fun, but it seems that my speaking skill improved *much* more quickly.

I don't have any real evidence yet, but I suspect that pleasing your audience is an important part of improving skill.  Must experiment some more...

Dickson of the Trinity

• Bay Watcher
  • As you like that.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13123 on: October 10, 2016, 10:26:54 am »

I made my first adventurer (who didn't get stuck in a 3x3 fired clay square with 13 NPCs), a speardwarf peasant and battled a couple horses and camels to death (the buggers dodged good 'till I stabbed their legs).
Then I picked up a world's worth of yellow sand and threw it to myself to get from Dabbling to Legendary Archer and Thrower.
But no-one traded for currency at the outpost 500 miles away from civilisation, so Urist Mineplays suffered a !!fun!! dehydration and hunger process due to that and well-traveled people dissapearing on thin air.
Wish I could do a 256d. That would be awesome.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13124 on: October 10, 2016, 06:33:41 pm »

I made my first adventurer (who didn't get stuck in a 3x3 fired clay square with 13 NPCs), a speardwarf peasant and battled a couple horses and camels to death (the buggers dodged good 'till I stabbed their legs).
Then I picked up a world's worth of yellow sand and threw it to myself to get from Dabbling to Legendary Archer and Thrower.
But no-one traded for currency at the outpost 500 miles away from civilisation, so Urist Mineplays suffered a !!fun!! dehydration and hunger process due to that and well-traveled people dissapearing on thin air.
shame about the dehydration, usually you could build a carpenter workshop and make a barrel for liquid storage. then have a cabinet for meat, all those horse corpses could be butchered for meat and if there any blood pools could be scooped into the barrel.

so far in my adventures ukzoz decided to go into book writing and write an autobiography of her adventures.

going to be awhile til she write a chapter that isn't  "I made a book about me writing a book which is about me writing a book..."
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: 1 ... 873 874 [875] 876 877 ... 1103