Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 902 903 [904] 905 906 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1995203 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13545 on: January 15, 2017, 06:27:38 pm »

I genned a new 1050 year large world after streamlining a few things. Before I genned this world, I kind of thought about mikekchar's mention of genning it with a hidden history, but not being able to determine the type of beast in a ruined fortress was enough for me to leave as is. Don't have to actually look into legends beyond checking ruined forts. Right? It's sort of like only using "ask about surroundings" and little else. The other stuff is available, but you just don't look at it. Maybe I'm wrong on that. Someone's who done both could shed more light.

So, I rolled a new Num Muddyboots. Same sort of peasant dwarf as before, but this time I specifically looked for "large" in the description (which took about 15 min).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It seems at the extreme, that a broad or tall character can be sized-large, however they might not get all the benefits of being the sort of large that's *both* broad and tall. The old Num was broad enough to be large, but not large enough to one-hand a great axe.

Num started off near the southpole in taiga biome, yet his hilllock Doorbear had artichokes and spinach growing.
He collects and stacks 40 spinach leaves and 40 artichoke hearts before leaving to roam around a little. On the road slightly out of the hilllock's zoom-in, there's fire clay in the area, so Num can later make an earthenware jug to hold water.
He starts to get an early set of tools going, and has to climb 1 z-level up any tree to pull branches.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13546 on: January 16, 2017, 12:29:16 am »

On the road slightly out of the hilllock's zoom-in, there's fire clay in the area, so Num can later make an earthenware jug to hold water.

I assume DFHack sorcery is involved, since powders can't be cited in reactions by default. D:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13547 on: January 16, 2017, 05:11:48 am »

Surely you could just let the reaction grab anything NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE and use the rest of the stuff normally?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13548 on: January 16, 2017, 06:24:26 am »

so went back to playing advmode and rolled up an elf who has a desperate need to argue.
kinda realize bandits killing kids totally doesn't  spark the rest of the town to fightback. also some how someone with the resurrection curse was nearby and kept bringing back the dead so I had to banish them.
Got fame for the quest and now thinkin about dumping this elf in the keep and finding a troll to roam around a bit.
I really need to play around with multi attack Timed actions and bodyswapping more as it leads to more control with noncombat options like getting 2 people to perform while in the middle of killing each other.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13549 on: January 16, 2017, 06:34:00 am »

On the road slightly out of the hilllock's zoom-in, there's fire clay in the area, so Num can later make an earthenware jug to hold water.

I assume DFHack sorcery is involved, since powders can't be cited in reactions by default. D:

Surely you could just let the reaction grab anything NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE and use the rest of the stuff normally?

I haven't used DFHack since playing 34.11.

So clay uses BOULDER but that's only recognized by fort mode. For Adventure Mode I used REAGENT:A:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE as clay is no different than loam, peat and whatnot.

Here's my full raw.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13550 on: January 16, 2017, 10:16:50 am »

Trolls were killing me with wrestling as I tried to take an underequipped, unallied, and underskilled axewoman on a rescue mission though a dark tower.

Then I dodged to one of the many NE that were suddenly available. The one I chose took me 30 feet away and into a different part of the tunnels below the tower.

Edit: I bled to death immediately after.

I blame those damn hearthpeople for not coming with me, despite the fact that onlyy I ever got anything done.
One wheel short of a wagon

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13551 on: January 16, 2017, 12:23:19 pm »

On the travel map:
(click thumbnail to expand)

Num Muddyboots heads to the Good hills to have a look at the flora. He chops down a feather tree as he's thinking of making a featherwood shield, but he'll also swing west to the forest by the mountains and see what sort of trees they have. He heads back laden with gingko tree logs.

Back at Doorbears it's time to collect 20 gneiss rocks to make 20 gneiss blocks. 10 blocks for a wood-burning furnace (powered by firewood) for both making bars of refined coal and for ash, and then 10 for the kiln so he can make bake and then glaze that jug. Num makes 2 stoneware jugs, 2 mugs, a large pot and then a cauldron from the fire clay and glazes.

The waterway in the hillock to the west doesn't ever seem to freeze, but there's a fort just a short walk north of Doorbears. Why waste effort monitoring freeze time if the fort has access to cavern level one, underground water and more opportunity for drowning while swimming?

Num fast travels a short distance underground until he sees a world map water tile. Once there, like Future Boy Conan or Goku, he packs all his clothing into his backpack, and then swims back and forth between 3 slow travel map water tiles until he reaches level 3's competent swimmer. There are a few rodent folk milling about but he manages to ignore them.
Now at competent, he expands the distance to 7 water tiles until he hits level 6's talented swimmer where even the most extreme stat penalties (stat levels dropped by half via stun/nausea/etc.) won't matter. Once at talented swimmer, it's now perfectly safe o begin swimming underneath the rock block pathway and near tree roots. He does the drowning while swimming routine until he hits Great Swimmer and his toughness moves from above average to superior, and endurance moves from average to superior.
In the last few runs since August, I've generally had most characters swim to legendary to hit teal blue superdwarven toughness and max out endurance at superior, but being lime green is kinda nice.

To me, one of the best starts for a dwarf has to be grabbing a carp and biting it to death for a first fight/hunt, given carp's DF history, but here Num does something similar given the underground critter's dwarfiness and spies a group of elk bird. He singles out the big male. Spear leg to ground, bite head to render KO (never gets old), engage in the paleolithic dwarven barbarism of finishing with a large stone knife, followed with his best Cameron Hanes impression by backpack the corpse to the surface.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13552 on: January 16, 2017, 01:19:39 pm »

So clay uses BOULDER but that's only recognized by fort mode. For Adventure Mode I used REAGENT:A:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE as clay is no different than loam, peat and whatnot.

No, let's not do this bullshit again. Liquids and powders don't work in reactions unless you're using SOME utility to cheat around that bug.

I recall trying that, still didn't work.

EDIT: To demonstrate, one of you two is doing SOMETHING sorcerous here.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:CRAFT_SAND_HELM_ADV]
[NAME:heresy tester]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[REAGENT:stuff:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:HELM:ITEM_HELM_HELM:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:stuff:NONE]

Spoiler: screenshot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: screenshot (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:37:57 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13553 on: January 16, 2017, 01:37:02 pm »

No, let's not do this bullshit again. Liquids and powders don't work in reactions unless you're using SOME utility to cheat around that bug.

I'm unaware of any bug and haven't had this conversation before as I'm pretty new to modding in the overall sense.

FYI, I don't use any third party utility. Mostly out of laziness and not wanting to learn how (I know, that sounds great).

Just take the raw I'm posting below (which just removes the kiln, the tool and the coal), and add it to a new copy of DF.
Gen a new world. It should work presuming that the soil type you're using adheres to the requirement -> HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:FIRED_MAT

I don't know how you've structured your arguments/tokens for your reagents/products. That may be why there have been issues on your end? Not trying to cast aspersions.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:39:14 pm by peasant cretin »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13554 on: January 16, 2017, 01:41:42 pm »

Augh. Edited my earlier post. I showed show for the literal bare minimum that should take ANYTHING, and it fucking doesn't take powders or liquids.

Closest issue is one for not being able to use liquid/powders that are contained: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6202

What version are you using?

EDIT: And I've ALREADY tested reactions giving FIRED_MAT and other material reaction product fuckery to sand and clay. It doesn't work, at least in .43.05's 32-bit version. And HAS NOT worked in all older versions I've tried it in.

EDIT 2: Okay, this is weird. The reaction you gave me DOES work on clay. I need to test my earlier "use literally anything" reaction on clay though, it might be that sand is wonky but clay isn't.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:51:15 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13555 on: January 16, 2017, 01:50:39 pm »

I'm using 43.05.

Sand reactions kinda can't be GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT as far as I can tell or be a take anything as reagent. They can't be "circuit" reactions were the product comes from the reaction. They seem to be "closed" reactions where the product specifies its own conditions irrespective of reagent arguments. That's my general understanding.

So the sand line on my glasswork reactions is:
(REAGENT:sand:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:NONE:NONE)(IS_SAND_MATERIAL)
(PRODUCT:100:1:BOX:MATERIAL_NAME:GLASS_CLEAR:NONE:NONE)

As you can see, the product has nothing to do with the reagent.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13556 on: January 16, 2017, 01:52:06 pm »

As I've just discovered. This is odd. It's also literally the first time I got powder to work in a reaction.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13557 on: January 16, 2017, 03:53:30 pm »

You can use [nobbc][/nobbc] tags btw, I had to use them recursively to explain them.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13558 on: January 16, 2017, 04:29:11 pm »

I've gotten dulled down on adventure mode. I like it, there just isn't enough of what I wanna do with it yet. I'm not deleting Thaguk Notchhopped, but I'm probably going back to fort mode for a while tonight.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13559 on: January 16, 2017, 04:58:15 pm »

That is odd. I could use this, however...small problem. Seems I can't get this to take the whole handful of powder.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 902 903 [904] 905 906 ... 1103