Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 919 920 [921] 922 923 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2019725 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13800 on: February 28, 2017, 02:57:45 am »

The way that punt kinda kicks you outside yourself is pretty neat as is, just increase the amount it shoots you upwards!

I'm also feeling stupid for not playing with creature variations and the new *start here, strip all this, change these to those, go to here, apply these tags, go back to start* tricks. All the shit I did getting castes set up and in place and tweaked right without their stuff ending up contaminating the normal castes... pointless now, easier to put in a mechanism to switch to an alternate creature and have it take the original castes and have their properties handled by creature variations.

BWAHAHAHAHAOH GOD OW FUCK WHY DIDN'T I INSTALL AIRBAGS

Code: (telekinesis.lua) [Select]
function punt(itemSource,itemTarget)

local curpos
if df.global.ui_advmode.menu==1 then
curpos=df.global.cursor
else
print ("No cursor located!  You would have slammed into the ground and exploded.")
return
end

local count=0
 local l = df.global.world.proj_list
 local lastlist=l
 l=l.next
 while l do
  count=count+1
  if l.next==nil then
   lastlist=l
  end
  l = l.next
 end

resultx = curpos.x - itemSource.pos.x
resulty = curpos.y - itemSource.pos.y
resultz = curpos.z - itemSource.pos.z

newlist = df.proj_list_link:new()
 lastlist.next=newlist
 newlist.prev=lastlist
 proj = df.proj_itemst:new()
 newlist.item=proj
 proj.link=newlist
 proj.id=df.global.proj_next_id
 df.global.proj_next_id=df.global.proj_next_id+1
 proj.item=itemSource
 proj.origin_pos.x=itemSource.pos.x
 proj.origin_pos.y=itemSource.pos.y
 proj.origin_pos.z=itemSource.pos.z
 proj.target_pos.x=curpos.x
 proj.target_pos.y=curpos.y
 proj.target_pos.z=curpos.z
 proj.prev_pos.x=itemSource.pos.x
 proj.prev_pos.y=itemSource.pos.y
 proj.prev_pos.z=itemSource.pos.z
 proj.cur_pos.x=itemSource.pos.x
 proj.cur_pos.y=itemSource.pos.y
 proj.cur_pos.z=itemSource.pos.z
 proj.flags.no_impact_destroy=true
 proj.flags.piercing=true
 proj.flags.high_flying=true
 proj.flags.parabolic=true
 proj.flags.no_collide=false
 proj.flags.unk9=true
 proj.speed_x=resultx*10000
 proj.speed_y=resulty*10000
 proj.speed_z=resultz*17500
if not itemSource.general_refs==nil then
unitSource = df.global.world.units.active[0]
if itemSource.general_refs[0].unit_id==unitSource.id then
local unitoccupancy = dfhack.maps.ensureTileBlock(unitSource.pos).occupancy[unitSource.pos.x%16][unitSource.pos.y%16]
if unitSource.flags1.projectile==true then
if proj.link.next.item.unit==unitSource then
local uprj = proj.link.next.item
uprj.speed_x=proj.speed_x
uprj.speed_y=proj.speed_y
uprj.speed_z=proj.speed_z
uprj.flags.safe_landing=true
proj.flags.safe_landing=true
unitSource.flags1.on_ground=false
elseif not unitSource.flags1.on_ground then
unitoccupancy.unit = false
unitoccupancy.unit_grounded = false
end
end
end
end
end
 function getxyz() -- this will return pointers x,y and z coordinates.
local x=df.global.cursor.x
local y=df.global.cursor.y
local z=df.global.cursor.z
return x,y,z -- return the coords
end
function getItemAtKPos(x,y,z) -- gets the item index @ x,y,z coord
local vector=df.global.world.items.all -- load all items
local kickpos=df.global.world.units.active[0].pos
for i = 0, #vector-1 do -- look into all items offsets
local curpos=vector[i].pos --get its coordinates
local cx=curpos.x
local cy=curpos.y
local cz=curpos.z
if cx==kickpos.x and cy==kickpos.y and cz==kickpos.z then --compare them
return vector[i] --return index
end
end
return nil

end

function getItemAtPos(x,y,z) -- gets the item index @ x,y,z coord
local curpos=vector[i].pos --get its coordinates
local cx=curpos.x
local cy=curpos.y
local cz=curpos.z
if cx==x and cy==y and cz==z then --compare them
end
end
return nil

end

itemSource=getItemAtKPos()
itemTarget = curpos

punt(itemSource,itemTarget)
Should I rename this one to punt or cartomancy or zawarudo or something?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:36:23 am by Max™ »

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13801 on: February 28, 2017, 10:33:11 am »

I started in a mead hall where I was greeted by no less than 25 bards. I Inquired the lady about local troubles, and she told me there was an insurrection. When I asked how to get there, she told me it was right here. Suddenly, every bard in the room takes out their books, bone knifes, and carving knifes, and start battling the guards. The first strike went to an elf bard, who bashed a lady consort so hard that they began running away, leaving a trail of blood. All of a sudden, the room was full of people. There was blood, vomit, and severed body parts everywhere. I charged into combat, eager for fun.

I quickly took out to foes with a precise blow to the head with my iron battle axe, then killed two more after several blows to the upper body. As I was chasing one elf poet, one of the guards pushed me to the ground as he tried to do that as well. I tried standing up, but the elf saw his opportunity. He stabbed me in the leg with his knife, and then with the help of his buddy chopped off my axe arm. I was dodging and blocking every blow, but unfortunately, I was bleeding.

I'm now "faint" (I think I know what that means) and bleeding, however I managed to strike down many foes. If I can get away, I could have a huge kill list. Now, I'm pretty sure the game will let me fast travel there. I'll be trying to get out of there next time I play.
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13802 on: February 28, 2017, 12:56:20 pm »

Were you killing the rebels or the loyalists In this case? And did the insurrection really start in the tavern? Did a guard wlk through the door? I've never gotten to witness an insurrection, and in any site that's been conquered nobody fled and everybody seemed cool with it. I have the lamest luck with these things...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13803 on: February 28, 2017, 06:10:35 pm »

Num Muddyboots wanders east to The Coincidental Forest of Quests. It's there that he finds gabbro rock with that nice solid density of 2920. He makes a few large knives from gabbro (to trade?) and a "masterwork" quality sharp gabbro rock (novelty item). Num's overheard a story about a forest titan that settled here and he's curious as to what heterogenous assemblage he might find.

On his way to human held lands, Num's been using a combination of slow and fast travel in order to either find clues to the location or happen upon the forest titan shrine and as a result, there are those fast travel encounters with wild critters that would have been avoidable in a pure slow travel trek. Just realized recently that every time your character moves 1 world map tile, the game rolls to check whether it should trigger an encounter a critter with the large predator tag.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Num's unwilling to canvas The Coincidental Forest of Quests 1 world map tile at a time; he never does find the shrine. He does hit 20 non-sentient kills. Because he was given a civ position, I won't be able to retire him and read his thoughts to check for "doesn't care about anything anymore." The only way to check is to have him slay a sentient, and then look for the presence or absence of horror in the "express emotions" menu. Guess I'll never know.

Removed from the bucket list: see waterfall.
Actually Num may have to revisit a waterfall after experiencing whatever negative emotion(s) that will come with first sentient death. Booze can't wash everything away.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 06:16:15 pm by peasant cretin »

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13804 on: February 28, 2017, 06:22:39 pm »

The insurrection was in the mead hall, and I fought against the attackers. Also, at another conquered site, I actually found someone who had been murdered, right then and there, hidden in one of the back rooms behind a pillar. Also, it was pure luck that I spawned in during the battle.
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13805 on: February 28, 2017, 09:14:55 pm »

Coming up empty in The Coincidental Forest of Quests, Num decides to abandon the search for the forest titan, retrace his steps and head back to the mountain range The Walls of Copper, where mountain titan Aro Hailwaves the Plain Sea and cyclops Wur Judgeyear the Ivy of Yore had been sighted.

Mountain titan shrines are like roc nests, in that they'll be adjacent 1 world map tile to the mountain range. You could just fast travel around a range and you'll eventually trigger the zoom-in which is what Num does, though he doesn't need to travel far from hillock Rainylabor. First he runs into the cave of Wur Judgeyear the Ivy of Yore:
And then there's another zoom in:
Instead of just bumbling around in fast travel to reveal the nature of the site, he drops into slow travel and moves one tile at a time waiting for the announcement:

He slowly moves NE, first seeing the corpse of a dead dwarf marking the beginning of the shrine, moving one tile at a time, spanning east to west, to reveal the titan's vision field:
Aro Hailwaves the Plain Sea is 1-zlevel down hidden in a little pocket:
If Aro is a webber, Num'll resume his journey to human held lands to collect around 200 arrows, but if not Num'll choose to melee.

Deadly spittle is a missile like a bolt or an arrow. It doesn't spread and occupy space like fire, web, dust, or vapor. Stat-wise Aro has a level 6 fighter/archer/biter/striker. Spittle, while governed by that Talented Archer skill, is pretty much random like a shower of arrows. Despite having only level 4 (skilled) dodger, anecdotally, big roll modifiers like level 11 (grandmaster) fighter plus the buff from a 10 need Focused! should be enough to swing the defensive rolls his way, so he'll rely on passive dodger and skip the boost from active manual dodger:
Num starts off by zapping Aro's legs with the spear to cause grounding.
After grounding Num did want to use a bite to the head to cause unconsciousness, but as it unfolded, copper spear ended up getting most of the best work.

So I guess copper spear'll be Num's main hunting weapon from here on out as it earned its place. Thematically, it's nice that the starting weapon of a recruit ends up being the day to day workhorse weapon. It's without the overstatement of a weapon with a quality modifier or of the best material. In many ways copper is like Ajax, son of Telamon from the Richmond Lattimore translation.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:19:22 pm by peasant cretin »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13806 on: February 28, 2017, 09:22:49 pm »

*Gets quest to kill giant jaguar* *Kills it* *Tells the mayor* *Gets a carving knife to the ribs*
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13807 on: February 28, 2017, 10:22:10 pm »

*Gets quest to kill giant jaguar* *Kills it* *Tells the mayor* *Gets a carving knife to the ribs*
Fucking peta weirdo I bet.

I uh, am not sure why I didn't try riding a cart and switching characters before hopping on with another rider before... I mean, given that one of us ended up dead, I guess that might be part of the reason, but it was kinda awesome!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13808 on: March 01, 2017, 02:32:09 am »

Walked into one of my old forts, which happened to have a gladiator-like arena making up the barracks. Walked in, learned apparently I'm an enemy of them? A few dwarves attacked me on site after spitting at me, mediumly trained exceptionally armed dwarves, they were hard to beat, had to strangle them so they'd pass out instead of die. After that, a pair of hunters started shooting at me, I smacked aside all their bolts before knocking them out with a punch to the face each. Sat in the middle of the arena, deciding whether I wanted to go further into the fort or walk out... Still sitting there, actually.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

YHVH

• Bay Watcher
  • Batshit Insane God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13809 on: March 01, 2017, 12:02:51 pm »

Started a new character, exposed a vampire, and everyone is still doing their daily tasks like nothing unusual was around. Blast these useless citizens, they won't even attack the monster that is feeding on them.
So, now I have a moat filled with magma AND patrolled by ghosts. It is quite nice actually.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13810 on: March 01, 2017, 01:18:03 pm »

so learn a good lesson about the difference between using projectiles to move a cart and using the cart speed itself to move.
in that one can move about in the air, the other can not and is locked in place, also will throw your adventurer out if you use it ontop of the projectile method.

okay so uhh discovered you could cancel sleep and stay in the travel menu,
sadly kinda discover this while swapping the current adventurer id so I ended up jumping bodies.

Started a new character, exposed a vampire, and everyone is still doing their daily tasks like nothing unusual was around. Blast these useless citizens, they won't even attack the monster that is feeding on them.
well ever wonder if the vampire is even feeding on them or just other folks or even bandits? also more often the human ethics need to find a reason to attack someone, and outing someone seems to either place them in neutral catagory, there also the bit where all peasants are fresh cloned npcs made to fill out a town and has lil to no recollection of one actions outside of the basic knowledge rumor mill told by other more historical beings.
also going by how anyone could accidentally defile a temple to a god and get cursed, being a vampire is probably seen in a less harshed light than being a werebeast,
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13811 on: March 01, 2017, 03:21:02 pm »

Got work that there was a cyclops in the area... No problem, I can probably take him, just need some good luck throwing knives at him before he reaches me. So I walk into his lair, all armed up and with a backpack full of knives. Threw one, then two, then three, all the way up to six knives at him. He got one stuck in his upper right arm, two bonked off pathetically with their hilts, and the other three cut through fat and muscle. Off to a good start! But then I learned this cyclopses name is Saitama... He punched me in the chest, behind chain mail and a breastplate and a robe... My heart was crushed...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13812 on: March 01, 2017, 08:00:51 pm »

so learn a good lesson about the difference between using projectiles to move a cart and using the cart speed itself to move.
in that one can move about in the air, the other can not and is locked in place, also will throw your adventurer out if you use it ontop of the projectile method.

okay so uhh discovered you could cancel sleep and stay in the travel menu,
sadly kinda discover this while swapping the current adventurer id so I ended up jumping bodies.
DUDE, I took the idea you were tinkering with in the commented out punt lines and got them working where the cart will ollie you and shit:
The way that punt kinda kicks you outside yourself is pretty neat as is, just increase the amount it shoots you upwards!

I'm also feeling stupid for not playing with creature variations and the new *start here, strip all this, change these to those, go to here, apply these tags, go back to start* tricks. All the shit I did getting castes set up and in place and tweaked right without their stuff ending up contaminating the normal castes... pointless now, easier to put in a mechanism to switch to an alternate creature and have it take the original castes and have their properties handled by creature variations.

BWAHAHAHAHAOH GOD OW FUCK WHY DIDN'T I INSTALL AIRBAGS
Code: (ollie.lua) [Select]
function punt(itemSource,itemTarget)
local curpos
if df.global.ui_advmode.menu==1 then
curpos=df.global.cursor
else
print ("No cursor located!  You would have slammed into the ground and exploded.")
return
end

local count=0
local l = df.global.world.proj_list
local lastlist=l
l=l.next
while l do
count=count+1
if l.next==nil then
lastlist=l
  end
l = l.next
end

resultx = curpos.x - itemSource.pos.x
resulty = curpos.y - itemSource.pos.y
resultz = curpos.z - itemSource.pos.z

newlist = df.proj_list_link:new()
lastlist.next=newlist
newlist.prev=lastlist
proj = df.proj_itemst:new()
newlist.item=proj
proj.link=newlist
proj.id=df.global.proj_next_id
df.global.proj_next_id=df.global.proj_next_id+1
proj.item=itemSource
proj.origin_pos.x=itemSource.pos.x
proj.origin_pos.y=itemSource.pos.y
proj.origin_pos.z=itemSource.pos.z
proj.target_pos.x=curpos.x
proj.target_pos.y=curpos.y
proj.target_pos.z=curpos.z
proj.prev_pos.x=itemSource.pos.x
proj.prev_pos.y=itemSource.pos.y
proj.prev_pos.z=itemSource.pos.z
proj.cur_pos.x=itemSource.pos.x
proj.cur_pos.y=itemSource.pos.y
proj.cur_pos.z=itemSource.pos.z
proj.flags.no_impact_destroy=true
proj.flags.piercing=true
proj.flags.high_flying=true
proj.flags.parabolic=true
proj.flags.no_collide=false
proj.flags.unk9=true
proj.speed_x=resultx*10000
proj.speed_y=resulty*10000
proj.speed_z=resultz*17500
if not itemSource.general_refs==nil then
if itemSource.general_refs[0].unit_id==unitSource.id then
if unitSource.flags1.projectile==true then
if proj.link.next.item.unit==unitSource then
local ollie = proj.link.next.item
ollie.speed_x=proj.speed_x
ollie.speed_y=proj.speed_y
ollie.speed_z=proj.speed_z
ollie.flags.safe_landing=true
unitSource.flags1.on_ground=false
elseif not unitSource.flags1.on_ground then
unitoccupancy.unit = false
unitoccupancy.unit_grounded = false
unitoccupancy.item = false
end
end
end
end
end
function getItemAtKPos(cx,cy,cz) -- gets the item index @ x,y,z coord
local kickpos=unitSource.pos
local cpos=vector[i].pos --get its coordinates
local cx=cpos.x
local cy=cpos.y
local cz=cpos.z
if cx==kickpos.x and cy==kickpos.y and cz==kickpos.z then --compare them
unitoccupancy.item = false
end
end
return nil
end
unitSource = df.global.world.units.active[0]
unitoccupancy = dfhack.maps.ensureTileBlock(unitSource.pos).occupancy[unitSource.pos.x%16][unitSource.pos.y%16]
itemSource=getItemAtKPos()
itemTarget = curpos

punt(itemSource,itemTarget)
Actually ended up cleaning the item occupancy issue that was causing and got it working properly with flinging you if you're on a cart, or flinging the item underneath you if there is one, I think it's a good balance, you can actually still shoot items if you ride over them in a cart apparently.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:55:20 pm by Max™ »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13813 on: March 01, 2017, 08:57:40 pm »

As the cave Defectshadow, home to cyclops Wur Judgeyear the Ivy of Yore, keeps popping up in conversation, this became the natural choice for next up.
In vanilla, cyclops have no skill levels. In this world, cyclops were given level 8 fighter and level 6 (talented) wrestler/striker/kicker/archer/dodger, but only level 3 biter. Straight stat comparisons only make sense with lvl 1 peasant versus basic lvl 1 bandit. It's a cleaner read.
Aside from having equivalent wrestler, Num doesn't hit parity with the important skill match-ups (lvl 4 dodger vs Wur's lvl 6 attack skills), but Num's fighter skill at grandmaster is 6 lvls higher and having better MELEE_COMBAT changes the rolls. 

I wish there was a way to talk a semimegabeast out of combat, but sadly there isn't.

Num spies that cyan exclamation point, an attack of opportunity to Wur's ear, so instead of stabbing the foot which is the usual first choice of action, he takes the ear shot. And to good effect as the hit is enough to cause Wur to become enraged making all his attacks 2 tick/5 tick PREPARE:RECOVER. Those 5 recovery ticks are an ocean of time.
As a cyclops' head is smaller/thinner than a titan's, Num gets a solid bite projecting enough force through all those layers, knocking Wur unconscious.

As this is the first sentient, I check the express emotions menu, and Num shows no signs of horror, so apparently he reached "doesn't care about anything anymore." The death caused great fear after experiencing great trauma.

Back at Rainylabor, misfortune occurs:
Lava consumes the silver minecart and the lead cage Num brought back from Aro Hailwaves the Plain Sea's shrine.* I should have saved it before Num shot into fast travel to see if he could preserve the corpse of Aro Hailwaves the Plain Sea (it was).

*Edits in yellow.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:24:21 pm by peasant cretin »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13814 on: March 01, 2017, 09:15:37 pm »

Wait, where did the random lava come from? Were you carrying it in a silver cart?

Also, I swear this seemed like a better idea at the time:

...after tapping short wait a couple of times
...somehow bouncing off of myselves
...then sliding across the floor
...chin first into a wall
...I'm not as sure as I was a few seconds ago, but it made a neat screenshot!
Pages: 1 ... 919 920 [921] 922 923 ... 1104