Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2015626 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13830 on: March 03, 2017, 04:28:07 pm »

Looks like the lucky streak for my new adventurer came to an end.

After reporting to his Lady how 2 gobs weaponmasters met their doom, and be spit on by half the town while doing so for killing a murderous berserked elf ( as the worldgen ignore [CRAZED] when it create factions members , but ingame it's fortunately not ignored ) , the party resumed their adventures, tasked by the lady to take out some brute thingy, just a random name for a night troll .

Out in the street a human (the town was now no more in massive civil war situation as those pesky elves and gobs were now corpses, the human won despite heavy losses) was running away.
I soon noticed why, there was a night troll rushing in, not the one i was tasked to destroy , but still an angry night troll was running at us.

We fought, the beast was ridiculously resilient considering how many times we severed important nerves and spines and how much the thing was bleeding from every dozen of holes our weapons did, it was on the ground refusing to bleed out or even die.
And that crap still managed to hurt very badly my companion, one of them was bleeding and unconscious.

Finally after a long silly time of more stabbing and slashing, that night troll finally died by bleeding. For reason of probably incredible luck the night troll never targetted me.

I was going to fast travel in the hope it would stop one of my party member bleeding, but 2 more night troll appeared on screen running at us.
I had the funny idea to try to defend my wounded ally, while the whole town just ran away and no soldier or fellow heartperson even tried to come to help, those bastards.

Anyways, this time luck wasn't on my side, the 2 night trolls ignored my living ally and ignored the unconscious one and ran straight to me.
Was badly hurt despite trying to dodge things and as before despite i managed to damage/sever nerves and make the damned things bleeding, they were simply not slowing down or dying.
One of them finally targetted my living ally and killed him nearly as fast.

I was then alone and wounded against two badly wounded night trolls that didn't cared about their nasty wounds.

Managed to strike one so hard that the force probably severed the 5645486th nerves and spine the monster had not yet severed and he finally fell on the ground, though still not dead as those things just don't die when you need them dead.
I thought i finally had a chance to run toward the house in which there were a few fellow heartpersons, those cowardly bastards, to at least force them to help fighting.
Unfortunately the other one got more lucky and bite on my character's head, then shook around, severing a few nerves and i guess the spine too as i was then thrown on the ground without weapons and without the ability to stand, and of course the night troll finished him a few turns after.

Oh well, time for a reroll and try to get revenge for the fallen by hunting those night trolls.
And after that, time to gently explain to fellow hearthpersons that they're supposed to help defend the place, after that maybe i'll give them back their spilled guts.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13831 on: March 03, 2017, 08:58:32 pm »

Num Muddyboots leaves hillock Wheeledattics via slow travel and heads north to scout the burrow of Bese Halelathered the Beloved Numbers the ettin, and then the shrine of Senre Flaxenforest the Pristine Valley the brush titan.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Keeping an eye on the compass (left corner of screenshots), Num speeds north.
The gray N(orth) is the furthest away from the burrow of Bese Halelathered the Beloved Numbers the ettin. As distance is closed, direction color changes from gray to olive brown to dark green to lime green and then to white once Num is pretty much on site. At white, Num drops to the ground to enhance conditions for ambusher, and begins moving one tile at a time, north toward the downward slope (an inverted triangle) that will be the entrance to the burrow.

Tile by tile approach is useful because it is unknown how the lair has been configured, as this governs direction of view for its inhabitant. If the view is toward your character, the inhabitant's vision field could pop up if they're near the mouth of the burrow.
Checking the z-level view (to the right in the above screenshot) tells Num a few things. There's likely more than one ettin. And most importantly, their view is north and Num's coming up in their blind spot.

Num lingers just above them as they go about their day to day life.
As a player, I don't see ettins as a scourge or evil. There's not enough context to go on aside from general preconceptions that there are good guys and there are bad guys. Monsters are bad guys. Louis-Ferdinand Céline's Bardamu satirically once said, "You  no - good  swine!  We're  at  war!  Those  stinkers  in  Country  No.  2!  We're  going  to  board  them  and  cut  their livers out! Let's go! Let's go! We've got everything we need on board! All together now! Let's hear you  shout  so  the  deck  trembles: 'Long  live  Country  No.  1!'  So  you'll  be  heard  for  miles  around.  The  man  that  shouts the loudest will get a medal and a lollipop! Let's go! And if there's anybody that doesn't want to be  killed on the sea, he can go and get killed on land, it's even quicker !”. So, it's the generic RPG way. Now when looking at how semimegabeasts/night trolls interact among themselves, they seem no different than how dwarves interact. They seem to be like any other group of NPCs. Legends shows that Bese has killed 43 (mostly) dwarves and goblins, has 3 sons and 1 daughter, yet is vague about the where and whens.
The character (Num) doesn't know much of anything when it comes to Bese's acts of violence. He wouldn't know about the 43 kills. He's only heard a fearsome such and such lives here. Num has no reason to strip the life from any of them. With that, he moves on to the shrine of Senre Flaxenforest the Pristine Valley the brush titan.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13832 on: March 03, 2017, 09:30:33 pm »

with new character, after hiring 2 allies , i finally found the Night Troll that the Lady appointed my new character to destroy with the same mission.

Arriving on the site, no night troll, asking one of the companions, apparently the ugly thing was roaming around or underground.
I decided to patrol around the site to check if the monster was still nearby.

It took some time but we found the * on the world map and it happened to be exactly that night troll.
Fight happened, unfortunately this time the night troll decided to only target my character after we managed to hit him hard enough so it would lie on the ground, and the damned thing decided to bite me and every turns despite being stabbed/slashed and bleeding heavily, it would shake and gore parts of my character.

In the end after too many rounds of that treatment, the thing finally died, and my character was still bleeding heavily and started to get pale.
I thought that was going to be the end as there's no way in current version to help a bleeding creature, but with luck the bleeding ceased, so i could finally fast travel to heal.

Back to the castle, after reporting the deed.

My character was finally done with the night trolls, as there's been several that had been already killed with all my characters from that place but the price on his body had been noticable

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13833 on: March 04, 2017, 02:44:24 am »

After the scout of the ettins' burrow, there was the shrine  of Senre Flaxenforest the Pristine Valley the brush titan. Similarly, as distance was closed, direction color changing from gray to olive brown to dark green to lime green and then finally to white, the weather grew worse reducing maximum vision range from 25 tiles to 21.
NPC AIs become active/aggressive at 20 if your character is standing, so Num went prone to enhance conditions for ambusher dropping AI aggression to the 10 mark giving him more room to err.

Crawling northward, one tile at a time, making sure the compass stayed on N, Num waited to see either the shrine floor (a + sign), a corpse, a bodypart, item/loot, a column or even the titan itself. A goblin corpse is the first to come into line of vision.
Each tile north was accompanied by tile movement east and west, always making sure the furthermost tile at end range line of vision opened up and revealed the shrine, until Senre Flaxenforest's red EXTRAVISION field appeared.
Senre was a webber and Num had neither the weapon skill and weapon for melee, nor the number of arrows required to shell it from a distance, so he slow travels onward to fortress Clobbergirders.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13834 on: March 04, 2017, 12:20:38 pm »

Exploring in the ruins of an old fort like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbqD_qNPYJI
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13835 on: March 04, 2017, 12:57:00 pm »

So I was trying to reconstruct a cleaned up bodyswap script and got it sorta working but while I was figuring out the best way to check for and remove any duplicated units I uh...

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #13836 on: March 04, 2017, 01:27:54 pm »

Wh-what?

I'm less wondering how you actually did it and more confused at how it would look like.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13837 on: March 04, 2017, 06:59:13 pm »

It uh, got weirder when I ghosted myself and healed to keep punching and chewing on myself, think I was even talking shit about myself too.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #13838 on: March 04, 2017, 09:57:51 pm »

What tileset are you using?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13839 on: March 04, 2017, 10:24:35 pm »

Fortress Clobbergirders involved the usual queries about the surrounding area. So chat then depature.
Two quest menu tiles west across one tile of mountain was the fortress Flydoors. Num slow traveled the range, but instead of watching the compass color change for Ω, he checked fast travel to see if he was there yet. Flydoors was surrounded by goblin towers.
As can be seen, it's very early in the day. Num decides to offload 10 hours for sleep.

Using shift + (W) Num checks the weather. Clear skies won't change visibility for stealth. Using shift + (S) to toggle the Stealth pop-up window, he checks other Visual Stealth Factors.
For skulking around Flydoors, he's not going to have the benefit of vegetation, diminished visibility, and no obstacles as he'll be in the open once inside the fort, but he'll have low light plus the tiny profile from being prone.
Even with legendary ambusher, it's helpful to stack beneficial conditions during a scout.

After having had a look, Num's unsure if the goblins will be hostile, so he stands up and goes to pick up the two books he's spied. 2 speargoblins turn aggressive, so Num jumps backwards to kite them out.
Num checks the 1st speargoblin inventory for weapon hand, then description for size or strength modifiers. Num might have skipped grappling if this speargoblin was large and muscular. Bone breaking is the preferred disarm for shield users as opposed to bite which could be shield blocked, and/or deflected in the case of an armor user.
Following the disarms, Num works in a bit of grab jump to spread the two out and then switches to sprint once the reinforcements take up arms.
He escapes without having to cause any fatalities.

Num slow travels away for a bit and returns once it's clear everyone is asleep. It's then that he collects both books and comes into possession of 37 silver arrows in a giant crow quiver.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:28:46 pm by peasant cretin »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13840 on: March 04, 2017, 10:25:00 pm »

What tileset are you using?
Ah, I've been calling that VectorCurses+1 since it's mostly the curses vector set dePlatino made, I just added my ground shading/the walls I worked on forever from my vorpal sets after realizing that I couldn't go back from the pretty tiles he made... talented bastard.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13841 on: March 05, 2017, 02:22:04 pm »

okay had a hunch on this fly stuff and notice I could just opt out the making a new projectile when I want to steer and just edit the existing one I guess due to being in the air those old projectiles don't go away unlike being on the ground.
though while this works, it not targeted to the minecart and just the first projectile, so ... any thing thrown while flying will take over control and completely mess with steering and could be fine tuned

so well that's 2 things off my Adv to do list,
boats and planes.
so yeah if you know how to fly then you can fly on a speeding minecart.

edit: and now for something funny
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 02:42:51 pm by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13842 on: March 06, 2017, 12:45:07 am »

Yeah, I looked at a couple of different scripts to see the order I did which was causing the accidental doubling stuff and got that repaired, though I kept a copy of the script which was doing it and I'll see if I can get a za warudo stand script going.

Not sure why I felt I needed to add in a new unit entry to transfer through, I think I was trying to account for jumping into animals and wanted to set it up so I could insert the right references and shit when I lost track of what I was doing and ended up with the whole "oh shit why are there so many of me" problem.

In that last gif, are you playing around with a copyself on top of you, or is that a mounted unit?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13843 on: March 06, 2017, 01:55:39 am »

Yeah, I looked at a couple of different scripts to see the order I did which was causing the accidental doubling stuff and got that repaired, though I kept a copy of the script which was doing it and I'll see if I can get a za warudo stand script going.

Not sure why I felt I needed to add in a new unit entry to transfer through, I think I was trying to account for jumping into animals and wanted to set it up so I could insert the right references and shit when I lost track of what I was doing and ended up with the whole "oh shit why are there so many of me" problem.

In that last gif, are you playing around with a copyself on top of you, or is that a mounted unit?
mounted unit as if I slammed a duped clone adventurer both of them will die than just 1, also kinda scratching my head on why would you remake the script warmist made by scratch... and ended up remaking my dupe adventurer script?
like did dfhack community by removing dfusion completely killed bodyswap and now folks have to remake it forever?
oh crud I remember wonder if someone ported over reincarnate as that one was a fun for jumping into the body of your killer and giving folks a basic lua script to remake bodyswap and stuffing souls into people.

so in minecart news, started flying over an ocean crash from hitting the ceiling then made a full recovery from flying from the bottom of the ocean to the sky then landed on a hamlet road.

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13844 on: March 06, 2017, 07:22:13 am »

There isn't a bodyswap natively atm, and using dfusion for it was annoying, plus it didn't make use of stuff like various gui tricks with getSelectedUnit and such so I went in with a general idea of what all I need to change to flip adventurers on and off so I tried to make one and trim it down, but I figured that my first try of assigning the different active pointers to each other ended up deleting one of them the first time, and I know how to add a new entry, so so I simply swapped the old adventurer into the new dummy before moving the new one into place, which left copies, but I know how to get rid of those so I started getting that set up and forgot what I was doing.

I thought I had a check to warn me when the unit didn't have a nemesis, but it didn't fire so I tried to make it fire a couple times and said fuck it, let's be a cat, took over a cat, go to travel, POW! top left corner of the map bug, weeee!
Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 1103