Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 922 923 [924] 925 926 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2014980 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13845 on: March 06, 2017, 08:11:57 am »

My fine drunk companion and I set up a camp within spitting distance of the local Tower. Seemed like a good spot. We named it AnguishShield. A fine rng choice that surely depicts well our sturdy wooden walls as they fend off the living dead.

While building, a bunch of warriors turned up insisting on being lead to a glorious death. How could I turn them down?

A bit later, I noticed an axedwarf hanging out.
"Hi!" I said cheerfully, "come join us in glorious death?"
"Ha!" He replied, "Such enthusiasm from one such as yourself."

Hmph. "So what's your job then?" No doubt a hearthsdwarf for some important lord.

Or not.

"I wander AnguishShield." he explained cryptically.

Ok...

Just to check, I asked him again.

"I have wandered AnguishShield for 13 years of my life".

We've stumbled into the twilight zone...

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13846 on: March 06, 2017, 05:42:26 pm »

well then just discovered a vampire, by accident.
I guess when attempting to seize control over other nobles titles through bodyswap brainwashing them into giving up their jobs you could bump into one who sees folks through walls and has the red thirst.

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #13847 on: March 08, 2017, 05:34:01 am »

I really, really love how dynamically things happen in this game.

I was in the underground dungeon of a keep, killing off an undead criminal gang. I eventually had a slow spell cast on me by a skeleton mage and lost both of my companions - I decided to retreat to the surface at that point and recruit some more allies.

For some backstory, even though this is a Draenei town, the elder (mayor equivalent) was a devilkin (renamed vanilla DF goblin). Plenty of fel elves and the like were also in the keep alongside other mercenaries.

When I got back from the dungeon, this is what I saw.

Nearly everyone in the keep had been killed - the only person remaining was a draenei swordsman with a bruised arm and missing nose, whom I decided to recruit. When we walked outside, I saw the elder again - my companion immediately charged at him and killed him with several stabs of a rapier.
Taking a look at the rapier, he had four kills to his name. I'm not sure what exactly happened here - after I'm done for good with the undead group, I'm gonna check legends. It seems like an actual sort of insurrection.

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13848 on: March 08, 2017, 03:56:02 pm »

The most fun fights in dwarf fortress are the ones where you nearly get curbed by some generic Axeman as a peasant, only to turn around, beat the other dude to death, then brag about it to some warriors to recruit them.
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13849 on: March 08, 2017, 04:12:13 pm »

I finally came back to an adventurer I hadn't played in several months, and after hearing my companion talk about how her sister was kidnapped years ago oh so many times I decided, you know what, we're going to find her, and with the magic of legends viewer I learned she was in a dark fortress known as Webbedsins. I remember Webbedsins as being the place where I had that a lemon colored moose demon bound to me, good times. After walking into the dark fortress and into the main tower what do I see? The first prisoner I find, hanging about with a beak dog, is my companions sister, I almost accidentally killed her to, which would of been very awkward. Either way it is good.

I'm tempted to keep my companions sister with me and have her follow us around, but I know she would probably end up dying horribly, so I'll just take her home.

edit: I suppose while I'm here I might as well free some other prisoners, sure they'll probably all die when the settlement they're in is attack by goblins, but at least they get to know freedom for some time.

edit: Ok, I forgot about this problem, seems some of the children turned on each other, the bastards.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 06:44:15 pm by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13850 on: March 08, 2017, 05:01:04 pm »

The development of that was great. "I'll go save this kid... hell, I'll save all of them... oh fuck they're stabbing each other."

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #13851 on: March 08, 2017, 05:18:41 pm »

Had some brutal moments when a wild group of pygmies attacked me as I was travelling to an evil savanna. Gave me an opportunity to train throwing and misc. object using.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13852 on: March 08, 2017, 06:11:31 pm »

He died...retch'dly.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13853 on: March 08, 2017, 06:14:52 pm »

today marks the day when I can finally say yes you can recreate Zangief's moves in DF.
and spinning piledrive Bears....and sharks to one hearts content.

so this script just Mounts you to who ever your attacking, and this ties in well with my modifications on jump so you could ride who ever you thrown so you can get a passenger view of them slamming into a wall. also the best bit is the launch won't effect you... well I mean if the person isn't dead several zlevels in air causing you to fall,
and the mounting mechanic seem to be reworked from before as now you can as a rider move off your mount, and not permanently attached to them

for those wanting to use this modified mount script for any reason.
put this in the gui folder in dfhack for it to work.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"body swapping and YOU!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13854 on: March 08, 2017, 11:33:23 pm »

Well, that is interesting, and by interesting I mean "what the fuck why are there a dozen copies of my dead self over there, and why am I about to climb on top of the whole clonepile, screw it, hi-ho silvers, away!" type interesting.
Sometimes things I do with your scripts turn out strange, but this was weirder than you usual, well done!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13855 on: March 09, 2017, 02:04:54 am »

Using this dfhackery, could you mount yourself and then piledrive yourself into a wall?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13856 on: March 09, 2017, 03:38:02 pm »

I changed my mind and decided to keep my companions sister with us, I'll have to be careful with her as she is barely skilled and weak, but she could be a good addition to the team. Unfortunately my companion has got in increasingly worse shape over time, heavily scarred, lost an ear and some teeth, lost a toe, lost the ability to use an arm, and now recently after being bitten by a giant dingo she can no longer use one of her legs and is now prone. I didn't want my long time companion to be stuck in such a state so I took my companion and her sister on a grand adventure over to the west in the hopes of finding a crutch for her, it wasn't until I found a crutch that I realized oh yeah, elves don't like products made of wood. So no crutch for her.

Later I had my companion stay somewhere while I helped train her sister a bit by weakening creatures and letting her finish them off, and while in the keep of a a town in control of the goblins a group of elves come into the keep, and what is the identity of one of these elves? The mother of my companion and her sister. This is unexpected, I travel from the eastern part of the world to the western side and while messing around in the keep we just stumble upon her mother! I let those two do their little "Mother!" "child!" thing and then I recruited the mother to join her daughters and I on our adventures.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 03:40:06 pm by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13857 on: March 09, 2017, 03:49:42 pm »

Using this dfhackery, could you mount yourself and then piledrive yourself into a wall
Not quite, I tried, but even when I duped myself I couldn't make the other me a mount, so you just end up bashing yourself into a wall normally.

I did decide to go ahead and replace the "throw someone else" lines I got from Rumrusher with their "ride them" trick because it's more fun and the throwing someone else bit isn't about launching you really, plus it's way overpowered, even for me, being able to just explode someone against a wall or grind them back and forth against the ground is neat but I have more fun going along for the ride!
Code: (launch.lua) [Select]
-- Launch unit to cursor location
-- Based on propel.lua by Roses, molested by Rumrusher and I until this happened, sorry.
--[====[

launch
======
Activate with a cursor on screen and you will go there rapidly. Attack
something first to ride them there.

]====]
function launch(unitSource,unitTarget,unitRider)
  local curpos
  if df.global.ui_advmode.menu == df.ui_advmode_menu.Look then
    curpos = df.global.cursor
  else
    qerror("No [l] cursor located!  You would have slammed into the ground and exploded.")
  end

local count=0
  local l = df.global.world.proj_list
  local lastlist=l
  l=l.next
  while l do
    count=count+1
    if l.next==nil then
      lastlist=l
    end
    l = l.next
  end

resultx = curpos.x - unitSource.pos.x
  resulty = curpos.y - unitSource.pos.y
  resultz = curpos.z - unitSource.pos.z

newlist = df.proj_list_link:new()
  lastlist.next=newlist
  newlist.prev=lastlist
  proj = df.proj_unitst:new()
  newlist.item=proj
  proj.link=newlist
  proj.id=df.global.proj_next_id
  df.global.proj_next_id=df.global.proj_next_id+1
  proj.unit=unitSource
  proj.origin_pos.x=unitSource.pos.x
  proj.origin_pos.y=unitSource.pos.y
  proj.origin_pos.z=unitSource.pos.z
  proj.target_pos.x=curpos.x
  proj.target_pos.y=curpos.y
  proj.target_pos.z=curpos.z
  proj.prev_pos.x=unitSource.pos.x
  proj.prev_pos.y=unitSource.pos.y
  proj.prev_pos.z=unitSource.pos.z
  proj.cur_pos.x=unitSource.pos.x
  proj.cur_pos.y=unitSource.pos.y
  proj.cur_pos.z=unitSource.pos.z
  proj.flags.no_impact_destroy=true
  proj.flags.piercing=true
  proj.flags.high_flying=true --this probably doesn't do anything, let me know if you figure out what it is
  proj.flags.parabolic=true
  proj.flags.no_collide=true
  proj.flags.unk9=true
  proj.speed_x=resultx*10000
  proj.speed_y=resulty*10000
  proj.speed_z=resultz*15000 --higher z speed makes it easier to reach a target safely
  if df.global.world.units.active[0].job.hunt_target==nil then
    proj.flags.safe_landing=true
  elseif df.global.world.units.active[0].job.hunt_target then
    proj.flags.safe_landing=false
  end
  unitoccupancy = dfhack.maps.ensureTileBlock(unitSource.pos).occupancy[unitSource.pos.x%16][unitSource.pos.y%16]
  if not unitSource.flags1.on_ground then
    unitoccupancy.unit = false
  else
    unitoccupancy.unit_grounded = false
  end
  unitSource.flags1.projectile=true
  unitSource.flags1.on_ground=false
end

unitTarget = curpos
if df.global.world.units.active[0].job.hunt_target==nil then
  unitSource = df.global.world.units.active[0]
else
  unitRider = df.global.world.units.active[0]
  unitSource = df.global.world.units.active[0].job.hunt_target
  unitSource.general_refs:insert("#",{new=df.general_ref_unit_riderst,unit_id=unitRider.id})
  unitRider.relationship_ids.RiderMount=unitSource.id
  unitRider.flags1.rider=true
  unitSource.flags1.ridden=true
  require("utils").insert_sorted(df.global.world.units.other.ANY_RIDER,unitRider,"id")
end

launch(unitSource,unitTarget,unitRider)
I mean, it is still completely ridiculous and super dangerous for your victim:
It's just more interesting than simply telekinetically chucking them away.

I'll probably try to roll the "toss them" into the ollie script since you can't ride someone and a cart as far as I can see (maybe if you swap over and have them ride then do the launchride but eh) without it getting overly fiddly so I'm pretty happy with this.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:30:45 am by Max™ »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13858 on: March 09, 2017, 04:12:12 pm »

oh well so I had wrote up a reply but the forum downtime ate it luckly saved it for later.
so here it is:
Using this dfhackery, could you mount yourself and then piledrive yourself into a wall?
uhh I say if the units are separate entities that don't share damage then yes.
otherwise it would be like using the jump/launch script on your adventurer.

so far realizing with this on it looking less like a piledrive and more of a body surf them into paste.

oh and do note try not to throw them in the direction you are, as this would lead to you getting knock out and slammed across landscape.
or beware of knocking 2 people as while you're body surfing on one the other could come careening into you.

oh and if you don't succeed in killing them they probably get a free hit on you if you attempt another relaunch.
hmm note to self see if I can chaos dunk

edit: seeing max post about the evolution of jump going insanely bonkers made me realize, man you could in the cackling go launching bogies body to body and surf them til the sun comes up, and that a thrown bogey can survive the end of the cackling if they were in the middle of being a projectile.

like it's not about being able to super murder folks more so being able to superleap out of a town and fast travel.
hmm I even notice you could steer the bodies a bit like mid-flight still counts you as in combat with them so you get the option to say change direction if the body lands in a tree but I seen often doing that causes the game to knock me straight off the body.
(oh the massive explosion was just me activating corpse explosion to simulate the MASSIVE EXPLOSION of what would happen if a chaos dunk really hit.) the main' dunk' script basically an attack someone to mount, that works with jump far unless you attack someone then jump them script.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:36:15 pm by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13859 on: March 10, 2017, 01:30:24 am »

Lord that is just absurdly fun.

Also learned: there is no way to finagle getting a unit on a minecart as a mount by just trying to combine the ollie/launchride setup, and minecarts definitely benefit from being able to stop on a dime, but I think switching launch like that wouldn't be worth it, especially since you can just use your disposable mount as a harsh landing buffer.

Also since I got a script bodyswap setup (really didn't know the advtools one was still in, but that plugin does a lot of things which I don't wanna deal with when I can just hop over and assume direct control) I had the idea of aiming myself and a mount on a big launch and then swapping to someone else to watch.

Weeeee!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:32:31 am by Max™ »
Pages: 1 ... 922 923 [924] 925 926 ... 1103