Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2020560 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14025 on: April 26, 2017, 08:48:03 pm »

Hmm, that might be an interesting reaction for making meat with no tools, yeah.

And as for raising...yeah, might need to do that. Which would be kinda eh, annoying. It'd be nice if there was an option for truly permanent syndromes that can be applied to corpses.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14026 on: April 27, 2017, 01:09:37 am »

Basically, I tried to see if I could do a version of Max's hack, except targeting corpses.
You're gonna need to raise and then have them die immediately.

I tried to use this:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:EXTRACT_MEAT_ADV]
[NAME:extract meat]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[REAGENT:A:1:CORPSE:NONE:NONE:NONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:3:MEAT:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:DODGING]
As a workaround, I kept it because wild animals can't butcher targets without carrying weapons around, and while I did give the predator body plans [GRASP] tags on the back teeth it's silly for a giant lion to roam around using a sword instead of their teeth and claws, but being able to "tear a hunk of meat" out of your kills worked for me.

Very tempted to play as a random animal now.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

Back at Spiregems, the trade depot appears to be reconstructing itself. During insurrection they always implode into one tile holding the majority of the offered items, however now without any ownership tags. The first image involves the tile that holds all the items without ownership. The second involves the recently spawned $ownership$ items scattered along the periphery. Don't quite remember if this is part of a bug.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bim exits Spiregems, ignoring the human army that's gathered westward and crutchwalks south over the mountain range heading for Metwars where he masters a useful (agility stat gains!) yet useless skill (never going to need a crutch).
He reaches the human town of Metwars---the southernmost town in this world. He also makes his first kill as he's running out of food: a wild boar.
Bim leaves a few things in the first abandoned house he finds; many of the structures on the outskirts of town are uninhabited.

Having become drowsy, Bim goes to sleep, but this is awoken by an unknown NPC. Could be an animal recruit, a bandit, or some sort of night creature. He's stunned and waits out the effect. No reason to engage at debuffed half-strength (proficient dodger/observer would drop to competent/adequate vs. a potential lvl 6). It's better to pass time to create distance, letting whatever wander off, so the encounter can be held on the best terms.
Turns out to be a spouse of a winged troll and with a name like Fidale, a former elf—useful checking spouse names against the language files.

It's straightforward. Easy enough to ground with a scratch, and since it's only a spouse (also elf/dwarf/gobbo sized), easy enough to outgrip/out-muscle with an average size dwarf's high strength.
Interestingly enough, Bim only has the reaction of fear after experiencing trauma. It's odd since he's only seen the deaths of 7 non sentients and 1 dwarf. Also the lessening of degree. Usually with a character that's reached "doesn't care about anything anymore" you'd get great fear after experiencing great trauma. I suspect Bim had a shift right after watching the performance as that's the last time the adjective great appears in the express emotions menu. Probably didn't get enough out of the booze since the euphoria is just standard, and thereafter every other experience is just standard. All conjecture of course.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14027 on: April 28, 2017, 09:38:57 am »

my cardinal man just survived getting his heart torn out by raven person who was destroying a village

EDIT Got bored of that character so i started a new one introducing DRIB the stoic cardinal man

While everyone was panicking about the nearby helephant Drib was just sitting at home with his leather crafts.
he decided that he would kill the helephant so he did and while trained soldiers were pooping there pants drib with a
bronze spear and no armor just killed it easily.

Some even say he was sent by Sitsu Heavenwisp to save the world but who knows at this point?

EDIT2 Didn't want to do a double post so i have killed a helephant and made some jewlery but my idiotic meatshields shit their pants and start running
around and nearly get themselves killed. In the end mummy always has to save their asses. After killing the helephant i found a brush titan saved my
dunb babies AGAIN and killed the titan. after that one of his adult diapershiters got killed by a crocodile. Now he makes bone crafts and drinks
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 01:56:02 pm by UselessMcMiner »
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14028 on: April 28, 2017, 02:34:58 pm »

o rly?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14029 on: April 29, 2017, 12:13:15 pm »

So I finally laid waste to a criminal organization my lord had sent me to drive off in the neighboring town - or at least I think I did. I killed a few recruits scattered around the city and tried spreading word of their existence in the town while simultaneously investigating every person I met's perofession since it was currently ruled by another group. Eventually my quest was completed, so however it happened, it happened. However my lord just sent me on a similar quest to another hamlet in a similar situation - underground criminal organization vying for control must be driven out. This time one of the first people I ran into in the street is a crossbowman, and he refuses to tell me either his profession or why he is traveling. According to people around town though, he is a poet "according to some" and I have verified that he recently read a poem someplace in town and people were very pleased with it. However, I tracked him to the main castle and most people there know him as a rumored poet, and the lady doesn't know him at all. Suspicious at all? Is there a particular reason certain npc's will refuse to tell you things?

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14030 on: April 30, 2017, 08:45:05 am »

So, I was visiting a fortress, I left, then I came back to pick up some alcohol, and then this happened:

Apparently the fortress got attacked by a bunch of underground creature recruits ? (There even were snakes in there...) Didn't know this could happen.

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14031 on: April 30, 2017, 09:08:30 am »

This has gotta be some sort of glitch: I'm looking for a criminal organization in the sewers of this city and I came across these two guys with the exact same name.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14032 on: April 30, 2017, 09:37:58 am »

This has gotta be some sort of glitch: I'm looking for a criminal organization in the sewers of this city and I came across these two guys with the exact same name.

They both are described as having high cheekbones to, so the game might have genned identical twins, which is quite awesome.

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14033 on: April 30, 2017, 09:54:10 am »

They both are described as having high cheekbones to, so the game might have genned identical twins, which is quite awesome.
Welp, they're both identically dead as of now. They wouldn't give me a name of whatever they were the leader of (likely because it doesn't have one), and I'm too fickle to leave small bands of unidentified brigands in the dungeons of the town I'm attempting to save right now.

Update: after overhearing several olmpeople bragging about attacking me while roaming the streets, I eventually realized the olmpeople were in the sewers and had probably tried shooting blowdarts at me through grates as I passed over them. I led my three companions down below and well - it turned out to be a bit of a meat grinder. Dozens of darts were hitting me left and right, making my character rather nauseous even though I'm not sure any of them actually broke the skin (rhinomen have rather thick hides and are often no more than bruised by arrows) - the nausea may have just been from my repeatedly bruised guts. My companions on the other hand? While I was around the corner de-limbing olmpeople left and right with every swing, I eventually went to check on my companions to find them still fighting with the olms, but also strangely with one another - and then eventually with myself. I defended myself against one of them, knocking him over by lopping off his leg and ending him by stepping on his head, and then promptly made my exit as somehow during this chaos my quest had randomly completed itself. I left what was remaining of my companions to fight eachother to the death and eventually be overcome by masses of olm people. So I have a couple questions: one is can olm people form named groups? (trying to determine if my actions had anything to do with my quest completion) and two is are there poisons that make people lose their minds? I actually ctrl + alt +deleted the first time my companion attacked me just to double-check and it happened again so it wasn't a fluke.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 02:25:29 pm by gnome »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14034 on: April 30, 2017, 07:01:31 pm »

I rerolled Bim Fieldpebble into a large 1050 island world with the new reactions in play. Decided to somewhat optimize him for an observer/dodger/endurance build with focus/intuition/kinesthetic/willpower/endurance all at above average.
Optimization isn't really necessary, but eh, why not? Less about affecting the rolls, and more about stupid character conceits.

In warm biome, at hillock Complexaxe, Bim began less artificially(?) than last time, and more soundly for a Bim Fieldpebble.
He had 17 knapping attempts followed by 17 throws, so he did indeed sling pebbles to start. He only swam to the minimum of Talented Swimmer, so stun's 50% debuff wouldn't cause drowning. Since he was going to cap at talented, Bim did begin swimming beneath his hillock's placid stream upon hitting adequate swimmer, just to squeeze a bit more out of the exercise.

I also gambled by rolling Bim as a swordsdwarf, hoping for steel.
He ended up with a silver short sword -_- which he promptly traded away (along with 87 prickle berries) at fortress Rainedcities for an iron short sword, an iron javelin, and 5 cashew apples/avocados/durians.

Since this is a hidden history world, every conversation fills it up. Bim lingers at the depot, conversing with both broker, Mistem Ringstand, and her husband, chief medical dwarf Reg Boardabbeys. They're quite the power couple, though not in that Nabakovian or Kouji Seo sense.

The Spicy Bread, Rainedcities' tavern, is poorly staffed.
Only insanity can come from this.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:05:11 pm by peasant cretin »

Violent Pudding

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14035 on: May 01, 2017, 02:08:41 am »

Created a brown recluse man (it's been a long time since I last played - creature-men weren't even an option last time) with a talent for strings.
His name is Amblik Manyfingers the [something...Wonderful...Enchanted...Talented...I forget] Musical Spider.
The idea is to (try) to lead a non-murderous existence but I mean...Eight arms, eight swords...

Currently creating a tileset to play with though because none of the up-to-date ones are to my liking.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 02:14:10 am by Violent Pudding »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14036 on: May 01, 2017, 03:57:53 am »

Created a brown recluse man (it's been a long time since I last played - creature-men weren't even an option last time) with a talent for strings.
His name is Amblik Manyfingers the [something...Wonderful...Enchanted...Talented...I forget] Musical Spider.
The idea is to (try) to lead a non-murderous existence but I mean...Eight arms, eight swords...

Currently creating a tileset to play with though because none of the up-to-date ones are to my liking.
have fun hang around bars often to learn new musical styles and a good lesson to take playing spiders is "Don't punch the critters that go bump in the night and they don't go punching you this excludes the Night trolls though", also don't put any points into swimming They can't swim.
have fun bar hopping.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14037 on: May 01, 2017, 08:38:54 am »

All player controlled adventurers are empty sinks. Yet with AIs, it's cardboard cutout in terms of bot hivemeind knowledge. Bim Fieldpebble converses with hillock Complexaxe's sheriff, Rith Castlesold. It's as if Bim appeared out of thin air and knows nothing about his own home and surroundings. If Bim retired and became AI run, his mind would suddenly fill up. Like Rith, AI Bim would be a fount of knowledge.

Rith is suggested as a potential guide to faraway places, yet sheriff is DUTY_BOUND, which means physically, he won't be leading anyone anywhere.
But he does knows the directions to every location in the "Ask for directions" menu, so he is indeed a credible guide. During the extended spam of "Ask about surrounding area with Rith Castlesold" Bim is given the location of the vault Lashcradled, which was created by the mammoth brute Aslot Fogtwilight the Seed of Shadows.

A look into the text file region1-01050-01-01-world_sites_and_pops.txt reveals two things:
Code: [Select]
134: Mengarban, "Lashcradled", vault
Owner: The Tan Fellowship,
25 Chaotic Warriors
50 Chaotic Helpers
1 Destroyer of Robek

108: Ozudmuso, "Ruthlesswild", dark fortress
Owner: The Somber Devil, goblins
Parent Civ: The Witch of Strife, goblins
lady: Ngokang Stealyell, goblin
1842 goblins
1 mammoth brute
623 trolls
623 beak dogs

So apparently Aslot Fogtwilight the Seed of Shadows is alive and well. If brute type has been any past indicator, maybe the level 4 quarduped Chaotic Helper, level 6 bipedal Chaotic Warrior, and the level 11 bipedal Destroyer of Robek will be meaty and tanky—which is ultimately better for farming XP gain than say angels made out of easily sheared particulate.

Bim hasn't fought anything yet as he's just gotten started. He'll probably head to Lashcradled around level 6-7 shield/dodge. While I don't care for the gear (always hoping to be surprised) or the slab (demons should be free), a respawning XP farm of potential quality isn't something to be missed. But who knows? Bim's first gaol is to find books. He's getting unfocused.

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14038 on: May 01, 2017, 10:50:13 am »

Just got attacked by a pack of dingos after returning from werewolf form - which normally would be a good thing because I play as a Rhinoman, so naturally my physical fighting skills and natural defenses leave me less threatened in my pre-change form - but due to their numbers causing overexertion (something that wouldn't have happened during were-form) most of my attacks were barely splitting fatty tissue, whereas normally every attack cleaves something off of my enemy. And I had no companions because they all turned on me when I changed of course. After slaying the last one from a prone position my character refused to get up for a few moments due to being entirely exhausted from the battle.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:55:25 am by gnome »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14039 on: May 01, 2017, 03:38:47 pm »

After slaying the last one from a prone position my character refused to get up for a few moments due to being entirely exhausted from the battle.

Sounds like someone went without coffee this morning.
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 1104