Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 950 951 [952] 953 954 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2014345 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14265 on: June 29, 2017, 06:46:41 pm »

At the first hillock of the dwarven civ I asked about the area and learned the location of many lairs. Sounded like I had my work cut out for me, and some great stories to tell when I reached the capitol. After a night of slaying sasquatch I consulted regional history for stories of who settled here. More sasquatch, giant dingo and dingo folk, black bears...nothing a few able-bodied dwarves couldn't handle.

Fuck all this petty shit. I'm not stopping for anything less than a megabeast in residence.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14266 on: June 29, 2017, 10:32:47 pm »

After a conversation with a human forester, Feb journeys to The Strong Forest in search of sloth bears.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Feb's just working on adding to the non-sentient kill count, hit 20 and then hopefully he'll be indifferent to horror. He never does find any sloth bears, but he does track a yeti after a prolonged interaction with a carp. He's avoiding any semi-megabeasts at this point because in this world, they all have level 6 stats as opposed to vanilla's level zero. In vanilla, a peasant can kill a giant/cyclops/ettin. Here, most naturally, giants/cyclopses/ettins kill peasants. It's a proper ordering of the food chain.

What's interesting here is the "Other kills" (which means kills of little significance) were relatively brief affairs.
The yak and the carp were both used to move certain combat stats to the next tier upwards. Perhaps it was the duration which gave them significance? A few runs ago, I also recall that one character reached "doesn't really care about anything anymore" after 5 notable non-sentient kills and had roughly the same personality facets as Feb. All those critters too, became notables.

In keeping with the goal of using the express emotions menu to track events, Feb had begun with a block of somewhat generalist skills and after the required book reading, ends with a block of fairly combat specific skills now learnt.
As can be seen, he's unfortunately following Edgar Nye's "a mile wide, inch deep", but he's technically just a level 3 at this moment.
He'll eventually buckle down somewhat and pick an area of focus.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14267 on: June 30, 2017, 04:50:35 am »

well had fun using this summon every single army into one spot script, in combination with this travel script to allow me to move anywhere which seems to not progress time and some how doesn't trigger the ambush that would happen if I moved normally.

got around to seeing 1 fight of a Sasquatch vs a yeti vs a troll wrestler before the game crashed after being followed by 4 groups.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14268 on: June 30, 2017, 07:10:21 am »

At a river crossing, Feb Forestpebble notices a magenta M in the tracking window. He's in luck; it's a bull moose. Teddy Roosevelt would be proud. Of all the types of critters for leather armor, moose, yak, muskox or reindeer are somehow preferred versus anything else. They convey the idea of the wilds without being gratuitous, as would a predatory creature leather like lion, wolf or bear whose nod to strength is on the nose.

While it seems more merciful to make the kill as quickly as possible, non-historical creatures killed in this fashion are relegated to the list of "other kills." Prolonged combats confer the status of being notable on non-historical creatures and a bull moose should be notable; it's not a crab or an albatross.
In this process, Feb manages to take spear/axe/striker/kicker/biter/misc obj user from novice to adequate.

Leather armor is made, but the RNG makes this third attempt at leatherwork, a masterpiece. It's unfortunate there's no skill minimum to produce quality.
I was tempted to have Feb put it through a repair process to strip the quality modifiers, but it seems the RNG gods wished to unsettled the ascetic mind of Feb Forestpebble. He's only a minor stoic in terms of DF's belief system, which references a contemporary misuse/repurposing of the term. But like a true Stoic, in regard to the real world philosophy, he won't handwring over what he cannot control.
So he wears this armor. Feb knows it's time to become uncomfortable.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:15:50 am by peasant cretin »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14269 on: June 30, 2017, 01:44:05 pm »

Leather armor is made, but the RNG makes this third attempt at leatherwork, a masterpiece.
[..]
So he wears this armor. Feb knows it's time to become uncomfortable.
The life of an adventurer is all suffering.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14270 on: June 30, 2017, 02:42:33 pm »

Yeah, in my case it's a suffering for the foes and pleasure for the adventurer and good grief, no, no I don't mean carnal pleasure! I am talking about the dark side of the force kind of satisfaction upon landing a killing hit, that element of short satisfaction one would get as a Khornate Berzerker without butcher's nails for example after wiping clean a battlefield and rend the ground full of blood and brutally hacked off or stomped body parts or all of the above after the chainaxes can get a short break along with its bloodthirsty user to roar again at full speed with brutality and hatred.

Point being that it is a suffering in one way or another indeed. Speaking of chainaxes I have Gorefather and Gorechild modded into the game for a long while now but haven't yet used them in adventure mode as I tend to stick with the first or the second type of a weapon I find or make or spawn with. Basic overpowered values on the chainaxes plus it helps to know which axe is meant for the main hand to keep track of things in case one gets lodged into something or someone.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:44:39 pm by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #14271 on: June 30, 2017, 02:45:22 pm »

From the game log:
Code: [Select]
You: Greetings.  My name is Lumal Savagespider the Quick Steel of Amusement.  I have nothing for you.
The overlord Uzhu Uzhorostrad: Ah, hello.  I'm Uzhu Maligntrouble.  Don't travel alone at night, or the bogeyman will get you.
You: A bandit gang calling itself The Robust Plagues, led by Uzhu Maligntrouble, has been harassing people over in Malignedmorass.
The overlord Uzhu Uzhorostrad: It is terrifying.
You: Can you tell me where I can find Uzhu Maligntrouble?
The overlord Uzhu Uzhorostrad: That's me.  I'm right here.
You: You look like a mighty warrior indeed.
The overlord Uzhu Uzhorostrad: I am overlord.  I was a trader for one hundred eighty-seven of the years of my life.
You: One should always respect the law.
The overlord Uzhu Uzhorostrad: So true, so true.
You slash the overlord Uzhu Uzhorostrad in the head with your steel long sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The trader Uzhu Uzhorostrad has been struck down.

If only I'd gotten "Society flourishes when law breakers are punished." instead of "One should always respect the law.", the exchange would've been perfect.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14272 on: June 30, 2017, 02:56:14 pm »

What's wrong with masterwork armor?
Also, it's funny how the overlord seemed to agree that he should be punished right until you decapitated him.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14273 on: June 30, 2017, 06:41:52 pm »

If you aren't a stoic you have nothing to complain about. If you are a stoic, you can't permit yourself to complain, so you pretend you have nothing to complain about.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14274 on: June 30, 2017, 07:03:45 pm »

If you aren't a stoic you have nothing to complain about. If you are a stoic, you can't permit yourself to complain, so you pretend you have nothing to complain about.

My character is cleaves to an extreme austerity, so wearing items with quality modifiers will give him a bad thought.

Leather armor is worthless defensively.

One could also argue (at least I would) that due to force transfer to joints which Toady implemented in DF 43.05, all armor is worthless and it's far better and more interesting to learn how to play a "no hit game" where everything is blocked, dodged, or parried. I got that idea from something Broseph Stalin once wrote on I believe page 3 of Kisat Dur, and from one of Uzu Bash's adventure mode posts. Both those guys have a wealth of knowledge, so I assumed they had done it and that it was worth trying. Contrary to what many may believe, it is very doable, but you have to tediously micro-manage every combat.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14275 on: June 30, 2017, 07:57:20 pm »

One could also argue (at least I would) that due to force transfer to joints which Toady implemented in DF 43.05, all armor is worthless and it's far better and more interesting to learn how to play a "no hit game" where everything is blocked, dodged, or parried. I got that idea from something Broseph Stalin once wrote on I believe page 3 of Kisat Dur, and from one of Uzu Bash's adventure mode posts. Both those guys have a wealth of knowledge, so I assumed they had done it and that it was worth trying. Contrary to what many may believe, it is very doable, but you have to tediously micro-manage every combat.

Ah yes, my favorite strategy in any game. I call it, "Don't get stabbed you moron". I'm not very good at it :P

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14276 on: June 30, 2017, 08:26:09 pm »

The way I've seen all my exterior layers, cloaks and hoods, wear down so much quicker than anything else, I'm pretty certain that they are absorbing unreported damage that's reduced by armor use skill but still accumulates. It's not useless, it definitely makes a difference. "Don't take a direct hit" is still very good strategy, but you're taking hits all the time, and mitigating the impact of them with skill, with spatial and kinesthetic sense, and with the natural properties of the materials you're wearing.

Raziel1641

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14277 on: June 30, 2017, 08:53:18 pm »

Happened just now. Made a new world, made a new adventurer, asked for a quest from my lord... fulfilled the quest.
Ouch.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14278 on: June 30, 2017, 09:07:04 pm »

Ah yes, my favorite strategy in any game. I call it, "Don't get stabbed you moron". I'm not very good at it :P

Getting face-stabbed is a time honored tradition. Good fun.

The way I've seen all my exterior layers, cloaks and hoods, wear down so much quicker than anything else, I'm pretty certain that they are absorbing unreported damage that's reduced by armor use skill but still accumulates. It's not useless, it definitely makes a difference. "Don't take a direct hit" is still very good strategy, but you're taking hits all the time, and mitigating the impact of them with skill, with spatial and kinesthetic sense, and with the natural properties of the materials you're wearing.

Along with force transfer to joints with all the wildly overpowered torsion damage (tap a leg, throw out the weaponmaster's back), Toady also did a material fix for 43.05, making material types matter. Now each shot landed causes faster decay.

While armor was too strong before, now it's just not very good at all. I happened to luck out and run those no hit experiments in June 2016, so I managed to avoid the nastiness of what 43.05 ended up delivering.

I used to count very much on hobo layering and their life-saving properties.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14279 on: June 30, 2017, 11:50:42 pm »

Made a script to teleport you to the cursor since why not right?

Already have launch and such working on the same cursor-oriented paradigm I so love.

'Huh, what happens if you flashstep up in the air and launch somewhere?'

'Ha, that's hilarious.''

'...wonder if I can flashstep up in the air, launch somewhere, and then flashstep back to the ground?'
*thwack into a house*

That was awkward.
Pages: 1 ... 950 951 [952] 953 954 ... 1103