Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 951 952 [953] 954 955 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2022129 times)

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14280 on: July 01, 2017, 05:05:16 am »

Oh dear, videos of npcs glitching out in games by suddenly flying into the air almost straight up somewhere came to my mind. Love those moments because of the hysterical value it has on me.

Other than that I had to reboot my character in a new genned world due wrong choices with personality data, forgetting to add my zfat body tissue layer somehow in the raw folder from my modding backup folder months back and in overall the draenei civ was in a boring place where everything else is in either direction too far away.

Not that big of a deal really, at the beginning it was hard to keep up with modding DF but nowadays almost majority of it is pretty much a piece of cake or at least easier to work with. Even though modding DF may seem easy it still manages to have a quite a steep learning curve just like the game itself. No idea which one is steeper, modding the game or just playing the game, or both. Heh.

Anyhow hoping to run into more ambushes and whatnot hostile horrors this time around. Switched my character's species from Ischrotaur to Ischraayad aka wingless super succubus with more similarities to a Draenei, hence no wings and ability to fly by using her mind/magic spell to hover around if necessary instead. Calling the new character a succubus though is a bit of a overstatement as this new one has a lot more neutral worldviews on a lot of things and she'd rather use brutal force and intimidation to show she means serious business, wanton bloodbaths may happen due to her extreme single mindedness, disdaining advice and being more stubborn than a bull. Basically my only choice of playstyle I excel at roleplaying since Neverwinter Nights and Diablo 2 as a barbarian.

EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Good grief, that's gotta be a wood burning record.. literally the third NPC I talked with who is a Broken vindicator aka lord of the civ technically who I needed to talk with anyway. I'm trying to picture how much forests have the Draenei cut down to burn for over four centuries, heh. Orcs are far away behind from Draenei in that regard in my game it seems.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 06:58:23 am by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14281 on: July 01, 2017, 07:57:44 am »

Good grief, that's gotta be a wood burning record.. literally the third NPC I talked with who is a Broken vindicator aka lord of the civ technically who I needed to talk with anyway. I'm trying to picture how much forests have the Draenei cut down to burn for over four centuries, heh. Orcs are far away behind from Draenei in that regard in my game it seems.

I'm pretty sure he is the enemy of elves everywhere. 400 years? Geez. I wonder why he gave it up?

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14282 on: July 01, 2017, 08:11:47 am »

I'm pretty sure he is the enemy of elves everywhere. 400 years? Geez. I wonder why he gave it up?

Pre-generated madness that strikes again, heh, gotta love those. I play usually in 5 year old recorded time of the world, well.. worlds which this current one is, helps keep the lag away and loading smooth and quick. As for the third npc, what I meant by that wording was that the third one who I talked with was the first NPC telling me of a lot more bizarre length of wood burning career and pretty much contradicting what Draenei as a species stand for in some way, that or they too in the game hate elves. Didn't make me laugh that much but rather did make me go: Woah! Hold on, wait what!? :o 400 years just feels like enough time to burn all of the trees in the world down in the game

Moments like that in DF, priceless one way or the other.

EDIT: Well, well. Got to a green dragon's lair and simulated what's ahead before end-tasking the game. It appears the new overpowered value boost I added to my metals and my creatures are not only very deadly to foes but somehow my ischronite drolth which is for chopping and thrusting aka a slash weapon, can turn into a blunt weapon. Knocked the green dragon out and unconscious due the force of the character and the material of the weapon that sent quite a potent blow across the areas I hit.

My Ischraayad doesn't have the relsize additions going on like with Ischrotaur data, so all body relsizes are default with imagination added for lower legs to have an extra joints and a limb between shin and ankle of the legs. That aside, makes sense for that broad bladed one-edged two-handed weapon of mine to do this amount of brutality finally. One cut has the potential to wreck some other nearby area of a foe and I like how it seems to be actually working. For me the changes in 43.05 are still new to me.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 10:14:28 am by Droggarth »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14283 on: July 01, 2017, 02:02:22 pm »

I completely lost it with my trader/spearelf. I can forgive missing a megabeast kill to a companion, but at the end of tedious hours of slow travel, I reached the top of a peak first, while he was off harassing kea for cheap exp with everyone else, yet his was the name in history! While I was still fuming over that, I noticed that he was missing his spear. The divine metal spear that I had my leg bashed up multiple times in obtaining.

After beating him to death with my bare hands, I lit him a pyre and spoke a brief eulogy:

Now my dancer is only nude under her armor. I wouldn't blame her or the axegirl for accusing me of murder, and though they haven't yet, I imagine they're a bit uneasy around me. The dancer hasn't shown it; she still shares all her emotions and views with the same frequency, and still agrees with me every time I offer an alternative perspective. Now that I've tuned her ideologies to my liking I simply use the opportunity to practice my flattery on her. The axegirl is still quite firm on her worldview -- perhaps she's less easily impressed with me because she'd known me since before I was a celebrity -- so she's good for invigorating debate.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 02:06:48 pm by Uzu Bash »

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14284 on: July 01, 2017, 02:35:56 pm »

..at the end of tedious hours of slow travel, I reached the top of a peak first, while he was off harassing kea for cheap exp with everyone else, yet his was the name in history!

Oh damn, that is just arse, I mean I can relate like when I decided to put the ruling zone in the building mode in a more accessible place the first time around only to get a companion turned lord/lady of the bandits from a far away nearby bandit camp and he/she just did not move from that place ever, ended up killing that once-a-companion npc because I couldn't even go into build mode due to site being claimed.. after that nasty business and zeroing the source of the ruling area and bringing it on top of my wooden fort-esque half-tower, ever since that I've left that zone a last one and make sure it's a harder for almost anyone to get into due to it requiring either jumping or flying between a tile or more, thinking about it now I should make it even harder by adding a fortification in front of the door.
Mainly talking about the various iterations of my half-fort, half-tower building I've built and it's planned future iteration.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 02:44:35 pm by Droggarth »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14285 on: July 01, 2017, 02:51:28 pm »

Ahh, oops:

Maybe I overreacted. Also:
So the dancer got the rap for that. Maybe she really wanted that armor on her body. I'm afraid it won't make the rain less uncomfortable.

All the same I think a cooldown retirement is in order, and permit my companions opportunity to make their own choices about what to do next. When I reach Wallheal, I will voraciously gobble the entire library and take a few weeks of retirement to immerse myself in the culture.  I hope to learn the secret of making minecarts! Will they have braies, I wonder?

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14286 on: July 01, 2017, 02:56:31 pm »

Woah, what a switcheroo!

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14287 on: July 01, 2017, 03:32:51 pm »

My Ischraayad doesn't have the relsize additions going on like with Ischrotaur data, so all body relsizes are default with imagination added for lower legs to have an extra joints and a limb between shin and ankle of the legs. That aside, makes sense for that broad bladed one-edged two-handed weapon of mine to do this amount of brutality finally. One cut has the potential to wreck some other nearby area of a foe and I like how it seems to be actually working. For me the changes in 43.05 are still new to me.

Yeah, more joints = more opportunity to get injured.

I completely lost it with my trader/spearelf. I can forgive missing a megabeast kill to a companion, but at the end of tedious hours of slow travel, I reached the top of a peak first, while he was off harassing kea for cheap exp with everyone else, yet his was the name in history! While I was still fuming over that, I noticed that he was missing his spear. The divine metal spear that I had my leg bashed up multiple times in obtaining.

After beating him to death with my bare hands, I lit him a pyre and spoke a brief eulogy...

Kinda surprised you didn't arrange for a accident. You've potentially become the overbearing boss whose saving grace is that you lead from the front.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14288 on: July 01, 2017, 05:11:40 pm »

Yeah, more joints = more opportunity to get injured.

Yeah, basically the main reason I haven't added the 4th joint to permanent use, my own mod creatures are insanely hard to damage so the 4th limb doesn't matter. It does matter for Draenei, Tauren and other such beastly figures though. Currently even my Ischrotaur and other Ischro-something sentients don't have the 4th leg limb in case of RNG or the game or both pulling off a backfire effect of sorts in some new way so I'm rather playing it safe.

Speaking of limbs, just had some more simulated fun with the green dragon to see how quickly I can chop body parts off of it with my character and her drolth, if I hadn't bothered to punch the beast in the neck I'd have gotten a chance to behead it just between or during the last tick before it bled to death, eh it's a second simulation so not that big of a deal, still the result is wonderful gruesome horror sight, one can have a look at this mess I painted the lair's cave walls with:
Talk about overkill of an overkill. I can literally just take quick attacks like that and manage to cut so many off which makes me wanna test a drolth made out of adamantine later on.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 05:23:58 pm by Droggarth »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14289 on: July 01, 2017, 07:41:14 pm »

Ahh, oops:

Wait, what? You can do that?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14290 on: July 01, 2017, 08:23:51 pm »

Ahh, oops:

Yeah, I've climbed peaks since vers 34.x, but I've never seen companions share the credit. All volcanoes are considered peaks too, so you can climb to the highest point to make history. I settled a fortress on one after my adventurer had climbed it, and it became a common subject for engravings and statues and crafts.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14291 on: July 02, 2017, 10:25:42 am »

Ahh, oops:

Yeah, I've climbed peaks since vers 34.x, but I've never seen companions share the credit. All volcanoes are considered peaks too, so you can climb to the highest point to make history. I settled a fortress on one after my adventurer had climbed it, and it became a common subject for engravings and statues and crafts.

That's awesome! Man. Every time I think I've learned everything in this game.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14292 on: July 02, 2017, 02:12:57 pm »

After visiting two ruins and clearing two dragons, I've finally reached Wallheals. I'm in the Strategic Bastion stubbornly holding over my capacity in books, almost 1k in all, and slowly reading through them all. This is just the contents from 1 table of the library, and it's taking so long that I've had to eat/drink/sleep in this library. But my Student skill is raising quicker than ever. I assume my reading rate will improve with Reading skill, but I won't know until I get back up over 0.099 speed.

I didn't know what I was committing to by vowing to read everything. After I empty my arms of these, I'm going to bind the quires I have and take my 2 week retirement. Hopefully my adventurer will automatically store them here, and that I won't lose all knowledge in those 2 weeks.

How should I do this? Join the fortress guard and possibly get a steel set of armor, offer my troupe's performance to the Baron, or just retire in the library and hope to become a resident of it?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14293 on: July 02, 2017, 05:50:48 pm »

There's no guarantee for material type re:armor. IIRC the way to increase the chance of armor is to retire nude. Upon unretiring the game will repopulate your inventory base on the civ's gear types. As to where you'll retire, dunno if applying to Fort guard will override your previous civ obligations, particularly if you inherited a civ position or claimed one. Always had mixed results with this.

Correction/Edit: To override your previous civ obligations, you'd need to join the fortress guard. If you simply retire in the library, I'd wager you'll unretire at your last camp/lordship/last place of service.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:59:50 pm by peasant cretin »

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14294 on: July 02, 2017, 06:14:02 pm »

@Uzu Bash

Heh, sounds kinda like me with fetching severed body parts while gathering parts from trees too after a battle to collect skulls and hearts.
Have had my inventory stretched a couple of pages because of all the body parts I'm hauling to a specific corpse pile and still end up with about a page or two of some creatures' skulls, brains and hearts.

Hmm, whenever I retire an adventurer is usually because of me wanting a second adventurer be a lover companion to my main one or have a second or a third character only show dancing, poetry and music forms from a civ. The place of temporary retirement has been usually in a seat-of-power zone and it seems to work the best for me if that zone is in my own site on top of a last covered and secured room in my half-fort half-tower outpost-esque looking building.

Basically I'd either join as a hearthperson or in my own built structure but in your case, guard or performer seem the most interesting choices with the hopefully-a-resident being more fitting for a character interested in books and knowledge who'd rather uncover the locations of demonic slabs and ancient texts.

Ah yeah, retiring bare nude is one of my mandatory things to do in case of temporary retirement to store one's gear away to prevent the gear getting messed up with random decorations.
Pages: 1 ... 951 952 [953] 954 955 ... 1104