Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 953 954 [955] 956 957 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2019328 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14310 on: July 10, 2017, 07:28:14 am »

After moose, Bim ambush/crutchwalks to ruined fortress Guildtouch and its library. With the crutch, he's at a 0.03xx run speed and this makes for somewhat frequent eating and drinking. His diet is water, uncooked moose muscle/organ meat, and raw leaf and root vegetables: leeks, cabbages, muck roots, asparagus, and plump helmets. This makes for good gut bio-diversity. The encumbrance problem for dietary variety at above average strength is the numbers have to be under 5 units per type of plant/plant growth carried. Without the crutch, his walking speed is well below 1.000 on account of the 31 iron bolts and the food. That's fine for a fully supplied slow travel transport trek where no hunting is needed.

The mountains surrounding the fortress are populated with groups of kea, solitary weasels, wombats, and peregrine falcons; the mountainous forests below with the addition of moose. Interspersed with the reading on wind patterns, animals/foraging/migration, rainfall/rivers, and grains of sand (the notation of very large numbers), is the mastering of tracking, ambusher, and crutch-walker. It's the combination of these three which bring a starting agility/kinesthetic sense of above average to high. Dwarven spatial sense, whose average is everyone else's above average, makes the leap 2 tiers to high. Toughness and endurance started at above average and tiered up to high after swimming from adequate to talented while drowning near tree roots in cavern level one. It seems crutch-walker tiered endurance 2 tiers to superdwarven.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When the moose meat is depleted, Bim will opt for shooting smaller game. The moose hunt's dual purpose was for leather as well as for food. He needed to construct a shield. Hunting is infrequent with larger game.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 07:30:19 am by peasant cretin »

Murdath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14311 on: July 10, 2017, 10:54:58 am »

I wanted to train my sword skills so I visited a nearby necromancer tower for its nearly infinite supply of enemies, but after clearing all the way to the door of the tower one of the necromancers raised the skin of the corpses i had butchered thinking I was done with them. So now I'm wondering How do you kill skin? Here are some of my lamest attempts.
I think I should go back to my hut and get something blunt or come back luring a dragon and have it bath them on fire.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14312 on: July 10, 2017, 11:26:10 am »

Blunt weapons are good for breaking bones and rupturing internal organs, but that's boneless and only has 1 layer. You have to hack it to pieces. Try targeting -- if you're autoattacking you aren't making any attempt, lame or otherwise.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14313 on: July 11, 2017, 07:26:28 am »

A day's travel east of fortress Guildtouch is hillock Veiledfences. The sheriff of Veiledfences passes on information about giant bears roaming the surrounding area, some of who have earned a name.

Bim brings walking speed up to 0.9xx for the bear hunt, dropping 13 units of moose meat and leaving 20 of 31 iron bolts in the civic mound. At 1.2xx jogging speed, he slow travels west of Veiledfences, with odor and tracking active, in the direction of a lair. Bim periscopes up out of slow travel mode into fast travel on occasion to check for any nearby asterisk. Surely enough, north of The Sewer of Salves is an asterisk. This asterisk meanders toward Veiledfences in zigzag fashion, but eventually the distance is closed. The tracks lead to a giant black bear recruit.
Bim approaches prone, in vegetation when possible, and orthogonal to trees when possible, for a rating of fantastic visual stealth. It's good weather and daylight, so it won't get any better that that.

It takes 4 bolts to ground the giant black bear. There isn't any reason to continue showering it with missiles. The previous moose suffocated/fell to missile fire because no shot caused grounding, prior to the left/right lung damage. Bim switches to copper spear and moose leather shield. While the first order is grounding by whatever method, the second is debuff by causing nausea.
Bim enters this fight with zero fighter/wrestler/weapon skill, so he's equal to the bear on this plane of comparison: his dabbling offense versus the bear's dabbling defense.
Defensively with novice shield, dodger and observer, he holds a one level advantage and can afford auto-defense. Unlike the sentient NPC who can improve skills when a combat runs long, this bear will not change in anyway from start to finish.

While the goal is to kill as quickly as possible (headshot, major artery rupture, suffocation, cumulative wound bleed out), instead of waiting one tick for the menu to refresh with potentially better targeting (weapon use only on normal strike/easy/easier—fairly solid/square/very square) and occasionally manually blocking incoming attacks, Bim will use that tick to wrestle and latch on grabs. Grabbing will yield not only XP for fighter/wrestler/observer, but will also prevent the bear from dodging away.
Any entry in the combat report equals some type of XP gain. In the second image linked above, Bim gets XP for spear/fighter/observer for the cyan colored entry, and for the two magenta colored entries, XP for wrestler/fighter/observer. Wrestler as a skill advances so quickly because you get XP for both the grab and for the grip break (with larger, stronger than you critters). When the fight ends due to a throat shot (major artery rupture) Bim's managed to take fighter/wrestler from dabbling to adequate and gained some XP for spear.
As can be seen, despite superdwarven endurance, a grappling heavy combat causes tiredness. When fighting something that's been properly debuffed (nausea, stunning, in pain), you could be reckless enough to push into over-exertion as that can cap off willpower nicely.

Fluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14314 on: July 11, 2017, 11:04:04 am »

I'm walking near glacier with a dwarven drunk.
This drunk is tough fruit, he never agree with my values, i spend whole day spaming press the argument and nothing, and he also constantly states HIS values. Not only that, we got ambushed by a bear and what he do? He actually had a bronze pick and he just one shot poor furry bastard in the head. Suspicious.
Sorry for my bad english

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14315 on: July 11, 2017, 03:48:08 pm »

I'm walking near glacier with a dwarven drunk.
This drunk is tough fruit, he never agree with my values, i spend whole day spaming press the argument and nothing, and he also constantly states HIS values. Not only that, we got ambushed by a bear and what he do? He actually had a bronze pick and he just one shot poor furry bastard in the head. Suspicious.
Picks are actually incredibly powerful so that's no surprise to be perfectly honest. They're also great for throwing if you can get your hands on one.

I genned a new world since I got done with some modding work and wanted to live test it. Started as a fel imp in a forsaken town, and uhh, already weird stuff going on.

I walked towards a blip south of the town - for some reason it was a few prisoners - several taunka and ogres - standing next to a shark troll recruit. None were hostile but it's still definitely out of the ordinary.

EDIT: Nevermind, crash.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:51:43 pm by ZM5 »

Slozgo Luzma

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP Emeg Orglebeamed, the Domination of Castles
    • View Profile
« Reply #14316 on: July 11, 2017, 10:07:38 pm »

I've been testing out an addon that I'm making for adding sphere-specific demigod castes that can be added to any civilized creature. After I poked around in legends and then cycled through random starting locations and gods for a while, I eventually started the adventure of the human fire demigod Gocta Jamasilan in a small hamlet called Bellytemples, of the Grizzly Confederation. Gocta seeks the ancient obsidian slab of the great goblin Pyromancer Ngokang, onetime war leader of the Grizzly Confederation and devotee of Sted, the god of fire and the sun, who is probably Gocta's father. The slab was stored in Bellytemple.

Gocta covers his emerald-green turban and robes with some finely-crafted nautilis-leather armor engraved with sterling silver depictions of maize (awesome), and protects his legs and arms with  a pair of plain iron high-boots, some zinc-ring-bedecked, llama-bone-spiked, kaniwa-in-fine-pewter-decorated bronze greaves, and a pair of bronze gauntlets. Additionally, he picks up a fair bronze shield and grabs a greatsword-wielding human swordsman named Dostngosp, a grizzly bear man mercenary swordsman (how appropriate) named Ngumost, and an over-weight human crossbowman named Nako.

He politely asks his liege-lord, the great Utes Eskutsmob, how he might serve as his faithful hearthsperson, and is asked to slay a bronze colossus.  Shelving that notion until he weilds greater power, Utes goes in hunt of Ashblazes, Ngokang's lost slab, which should be somewhere in the village.

It isn't.

He checked every home in the populated part, every corner, bag, and inventory of both the lord's hall, The Goldenrod Urns, and the village. Perhaps it was lost in the two weeks since my adventurer began questing?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14317 on: July 12, 2017, 02:29:42 am »

This vault I'm in is a stark contrast from the previous; the only similarity I can see is a lot of flat land with a big black shaft piercing into it. This dark tower casts its shadow upon the horizon because it's so sunshiny all around it. I made my new home a region tile away, on a temperate grassland under clear skies, with just enough trees to provide for a simple cabin and a bounty of edibles and boozeables. Even the axegirl lightened up here, and started to enjoy singing along to my bortu, performing on her own and sharing her feelings with me more freely. Keeping the booze flowing may have helped. Between excursions to the vault, I transcribed and performed in the variable quality compositions and choreography I attempted from the forms I'd learned.

The vault contents were also quite different. Instead of affable dwarf-sized creatures that would talk to their pets about their lifestyle while staring at walls, there were roughly human-sized beings -- their gear fit me! -- of ash whose only name was Murderous Angel. This vault had the axes that were missing from the previous -- something for axegirl this time -- and the only other weapons were hammers and maces, which are slightly better than wooden when made with divine metal. I improved quite a lot in unarmed fighting and bortu bashing because they were so vulnerable to it. Disarming was as easy as striking the shoulder. If I wanted to end a fight quickly, a kick to the torso was enough to make it explode. They died in pools of ash, useful for making soap out of their pet Minions of Death.

Fluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14318 on: July 12, 2017, 08:04:30 pm »

The reputation is screwy. I chopped 96 goblins in their little towers, wanted to become enemy of goblin civ. There was witnesses and everything, shout bragging, catch one and started to spread rumors about killing goblins and letting him run away, nothing.
Not a single mention, not in legends mode, not in legend viewer. The only thing that changes is their population.
I was kinda suspicious that it isn't working properly, since people know me only in the city i spread rumors about killing night trolls.
But not a single mention is really sad.
Anyway, 908 more to go.
Sorry for my bad english

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14319 on: July 12, 2017, 10:28:46 pm »

I had an adventurer who was wandering around a dark pit, killed the lord and also happened to kill the master (the old clown in charge having been killed by an Ettin earlier in history).  I'd walk up to people and greet them.  They would great me cordially enough.  Then I would bring up the killing of the master/lord and all of a sudden the goblin I was talking to would get a blue ! and they would run away (becoming instantly hostile). 

When I looked at my reputation with legends browser, it only showed me as being a killer.  However, when I was seen killing a relative of a dwarf in a dwarven fortress, my reputation was that of murderer.  I *think* that goblins just don't care about murder and so you can never get a murderer reputation with them -- only killer.  As they are dedicated to evil, you fit right in.

In another thread, there was a conversation about how to become an enemy of a civ and it seems like it isn't really possible any more without being a beast.  I think we're going to have to wait until the justice arc to get mobs chasing around after you (although I have had individual NPCs hunt me before).

Armies on the march seem to know to attack me too, but I don't know how they decide.  Civs I'm friendly to will not attack me, but civs I'm not friendly to will always attack me (as soon as they figure out who I am).  However, like I said, I can't see anything in any of the tools I have that appears to distinguish one from the other (I don't use DFHack, though).

Fluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14320 on: July 12, 2017, 11:25:28 pm »

In another thread, there was a conversation about how to become an enemy of a civ and it seems like it isn't really possible any more without being a beast.
And i guess you mean dragon or doggy and not dragonman and doggyman? Kinda bummer, atleast humans like me somewhat.
Sorry for my bad english

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14321 on: July 12, 2017, 11:48:10 pm »

Well just the other day I actually saved a group of people in a town from being robbed - murdered the robbers naturally - an like within minutes the entire town was spitting on me. Not sure what the deal was there, I think maybe someone had some relatives who became bandits? So like maybe they would've been happy with me driving them off instead of killing them. So in that moment, I did feel like the enemy of an entire town all of a sudden. I think it's possible, but I'm not sure it's bug-free. And another time I was at a village under attack and there was like a mob of people running back and forth out in the streets - I'm not sure who was doing what, so I kind of just mosey'd past them without any harm coming to me. I think that aggressors have a tendency to stalk you for awhile and sometimes try to surround you before attacking but they don't seem interested enough to follow you very far, and if they are already doing something they don't express much interest at all.

Odd occurrence the other day: was stopped ("ambushed") by two or three goblins out in the wilderness - who stopped me in my tracks to argue with me about the value of family. I guess they didn't like what I had to say about it (wasn't one of my chosen values) because shortly afterward they were trying to kill me, though that may have been the intent all along I'm sure. Still, it felt like an excerpt from Monty Python's The Holy Grail - like I was being made to answer a riddle to progress any further.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:50:57 pm by gnome »

Fluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14322 on: July 12, 2017, 11:56:22 pm »

Ambushers are kinda silly too, there was a gang of goblins running around fighting with humans (war i guess) and night trolls, and they do ambush me, constantly. Even after i kill all but one, he still tried to chase me on the map, with all his bones broken and no weapons.
He try to crawl away immediately after see me on actual local map.
Not only that, their group was not connected to goblin civ in any way.
Sorry for my bad english

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14323 on: July 13, 2017, 12:54:43 am »

so basically you need to become a werebeast to gain enemy eyes on civs, mostly I guess is due to folks have an auto hate for beasts being dangerous animals, and ethics coming to play.
that said different bandit groups will fight other bandit groups, and will murder each other for reasons of being a bandit.

the process I'm probably trying to recreate so I can watch 2 armies fight each other.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14324 on: July 13, 2017, 02:36:08 am »

I'm approximately in my sub-basement, though haven't dug the stairs yet, and I'm looking at a whole lot of tracks that Legendary Tracker I can't identify.

EDIT: Misplaced my companions and had to abandon the Blinkmarked project. I had brought them with me to the vault to play music while I converted their walls to rock block and loaded them onto a minecart.  Then I let myself in through the new side door, slid down the wall, cleared the chamber at the bottom, and began probing for a way into the cavern layer. I channeled in the direction of my site, and was over the border when I broke through. Apparently navigating the area for a good place to let an aquifer flow was enough to unload their map, but when I never found them there or at my site after I reached surface again.

And due to confusing aquifers' fluid dynamics with water pumps, I'm now dumping an unlimited amount of water into the cavern, and this ground fps to untenable rates. So I hastily packed my keepsakes and Dead Doom feasts, left my finished works on the library shelves, and hit the road. Two more titans, a hydra and minotaur before I reach Longhouse for someone to socialize and argue with.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:16:21 am by Uzu Bash »
Pages: 1 ... 953 954 [955] 956 957 ... 1104