Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 954 955 [956] 957 958 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1994610 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14325 on: July 13, 2017, 06:10:09 pm »

Because this was a bear with a name, Bim doesn't butcher Jailbooks the giant black bear—instead, he allows the corpse to return to the wilds. He ambush/crutch-walks the return journey to Veiledfences to collect the 20 iron bolts and the 13 units of moose meat he left behind.

Bim departs for fortress Dikeeyes (6 quest map tiles W, 5N of Veiledfences) where he hopes to find cloth. Currently he's clothed in 2 pig tail shirts, a llama wool dress, 2 pairs of pig tail hosen (just a variant of leggings to distinguish them from the leather armor level 1 item), pig tail cap, hood and cloak. While Wim Hof would argue the benefits of embracing the cold, this biome ranges from cold to freezing. Maybe if Bim was an unkempt dwarven outsider, he'd have enough hair/beard to go without.

He mills off into the wilds at 0.408 jogging while still trying to squeeze out attribute gains from crutch-walking. It takes Bim two days of travel to reach fortress Dikeeyes. It was said Dikeyes was nearly a days travel NW from Veiledfences. When NPCs inform you of the time and distance from one location to another, my guess is it's based on 1.000 walking speed for slow travel. Further experiments required.

Cavern level one of fortress Dikeeyes is blood strewn. A muscular dwarf peasant ended the life of a troglodyte for the murder of a stray dog and a muscular drake. Bim checks to see if the drake can be butchered. More often than not drakes are too small. But because this one's muscular, it can be. Bim puts the drake's 2r corpse into his quiver. He'll break down it later on. This is a treat as it's not often that a dwarf gets the chance to eat duck.

At the warehouse level Bim crafts new pig tail clothing, then strips the quality modifiers from: 1 loin cloth, 2 robes, 1 coat, 1 headscarf. Most of his old clothing has seen the first stage of wear. He discards these in one of the unoccupied rooms at The Fragrances of Sweetness, Dikeeyes' tavern. He'll keep 3 of the exterior-most items, but doesn't repair them (xcapx, xhoodx, or xcloakx). Those items will fray into a destined nothingness. They'll live out their full life cycle.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also in that balance between RP resource management and what the game decides, Bim waits until the day's end before eating and heading to sleep, aping Ori Hofmekler's body recompositioning Warrior Diet. This 2nd 3rd stage of hunger requires 3 units of food to satisfy. He's managed to drop bodyfat %. No longer stout, Bim's short and broad with very little fat.
Hopefully he can maintain this bodyfat %, maybe even hit "short, broad build overall but is somewhat skinny", once he graduates to high/superior strength. I'll have to monitor this. You can only roll a character as "short, broad build overall but is somewhat skinny" if their disease resistance is high, which might as well mean they start highly leptin/insulin sensitive.

From the :
Code: [Select]
has a short, broad body stacked thick with muscles and lard
is stout, muscular and fat
has a short body that is broad yet with few traces of muscle or fat
has a short broad body but is kind of weak and skinny at the same time
is stout and incredibly muscular
is stout and very muscular
has a stout muscular body
has a short broad body but is very frail
has a short broad body with little in the way of muscles
has a short broad body with ill-defined muscles
is short, broad and morbidly obese
has a short broad body with a lot of fat on it
is short, broad and fat
has a short, broad frame with almost no fat on it
has a short, broad body with very little fat
has a short, broad build overall but is somewhat skinny
is stout
What this tells us is Toady's usage of stout veers more toward modern usage than the archaic.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 06:57:48 pm by peasant cretin »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14326 on: July 15, 2017, 02:29:49 am »

I returned to the Longhouse and a familiar face, Lady Musicgerbils was present and patrolling the place as if she were still a scout. I caught up on dozens of stories since last I'd seen her, offered to be her hearthguy in case anything should happen to her, and set about finishing up construction left behind. The first floor is now complete; a larch front porch with plum wood eaves to serve as Main Hall, an obsidian block central Tavern floor ringed with hazelnut (great acoustics for tapdancing, unforgiving on the knees,) and an almond wood chieftain's chamber. I didn't like the way the tides were creeping in, so I dug a ditch along the raised basalt foundation to retain it, with ginko wood grates to cross it to the workshop area beneath the house. I wanted to reach population before next full moon but had decided to bide a few weeks on the chance my lost companions were trying to catch up, so I had nothing better to do with my time than composing and writing new works in between additional home improvements.

One evening while I was transcribing a composition for my bortu, I was interrupted by unfamiliar bootsteps on the larch porch. Those goblins finally worked up the nerve (or pathfinding competence) to come to me. They could have snuck up the hatch from the workshops, but the three-door wide entrance was too inviting for a group of invaders. To shorten the story, there were seven total and I managed to keep all blood off my floors, though I still had to pick up the garbage. I went to search for the lady in the dark, but wasn't able to locate her until the morning; her body forty deep off the steep shores of the beach. It turns out she had drowned before the raiders ever arrived. I retrieved her body and crafted her a masterwork native gold coffin on my first effort, which I ensconced in a smoothed obsidian shrine in an upper mine layer. The engraving beneath it wasn't a masterpiece, but it was fittingly the emblem of my new civilization, coffins.

I don't know how much longer I care to stay; the floodlight at night is broadening and more goblins have disturbed my scribing. They're not here to pull up a ginko wood chair and enjoy the plum wine. Perhaps they object to me killing yet another one of their masters. I'll believe I'll give the next one time to settle in and give the fortress a farewell present before moving on to my city. I have a new expedition in the planning.

EDIT: o4fk sake...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:50:53 am by Uzu Bash »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14327 on: July 15, 2017, 10:54:02 am »

Decided to do a quick test for some of my new modded cavern creatures.
After a long tim wandering and battling monsters in the caverns I eventually got to the deepest layer - by that time my shield-arm was already disabled and I had taken several other injuries, so my adventurer wasn't in top shape.

I died after managing to cut off some of their limbs - even without innate combat skills they seem difficult enough for a potential third-layer creature. Only 2 of them as well. I wonder if it'd be possible for me to settle a fortress somewhere in that area and potentially come across those two - one of them would still have the broadsword stuck in its lower body.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14328 on: July 15, 2017, 12:49:32 pm »

2W, 1N of the shrine of mountain titan Isa Fingerhearts the Amethyst Wax, worldly agent of Etur, god of mountains, caverns and earth, is the ruined hillock Goldenscales.
After making the pilgrimage to the shrine to pay respects to the mountain king (a giant tick with vision cone & poison spittle), this ardent(?) worshipper of Etur pilfers a steel pick under the cover of darkness and leaves Isa Fingerhearts to his/her solitary vigil and meals of future dwarves.
Bim can now mine rock blocks, make a pot, and eat simple cooked food. Hillock Goldenscales happens to be in an area that's rich in rock salt pebbles, and it's here that Bim does a bit of salt mining, filling one rock salt jar with coarse ground salt, and the other with fermented fish sauce (essentially Roman garum) made from cave lobster + salt.
Bim never knew if was going to be worth saving the 5 cave lobster he started with.

Structuring a single meal at the end of the day after crutch-walking at jogging speed is interesting. Bim needs to drink water throughout the day to prevent the thirsty status effect from cropping up at day's end so he can eat the maximum food units (4) before sleep. The reasoning to eat 4 units of food if your character only eats once a day before sleep is to prolong entering into the third stage of hunger for as long as possible, typically just before first stage drowsiness hits. This third stage of hunger debuffs skill levels similar to being tired. The only way to prevent end of day third stage hunger is to have an eating window where your character will eat twice at day's end, causing your character to wake up without entering into the first stage of hunger after 8 hours of sleep. But when slow traveling, a sense of minimalism where your character pares down meal frequency to 4 units at day's end, seems to work wonders metabolically.

Bim bodyfat% has dropped yet again. So far change has been "stout" -> "has a short, broad body with very little fat" -> "has a short, broad frame with almost no fat on it". In RL terms we could consider this state a 9-10% BF.
Not sure if a final recompositioning reaching "has a short, broad build overall but is somewhat skinny" would be a useful. The interesting thing when you look at the string dump is there's no mention of being "short, broad" with a strength modifier, of which there's always one when a character's description has a size descriptor. I'd guess the missing entries could be "has a short, broad […] but is muscular/very muscular/incredibly muscular". It'd be more interesting if there wasn't any modifier at all. But that wouldn't be consistent with the game's pairing of size descriptors with strength modifiers.

Circumnavigating his civs mountain range "The Constructive Tower" would bring him in contact with the evil hills to the north, and avoiding these hills would call for a circuitous route. Instead, Bim prepares to make the NW trek from hillock Goldenscales across the mountains into elf lands. He efficiently spears two carp in a nearby river and manages to improve spear and shield.
Crutch-walker/ambusher appears to have no end to its yields as he now pairs superdwarven agility with superdwarven endurance. Perhaps once in elf lands, spatial and kinesthetic will rollover from superior to superdwarven as well. While I've had characters work crutch-walker/ambusher before, they stopped using the crutch once the skill hit legendary.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14329 on: July 15, 2017, 10:34:21 pm »

Law giver: "Lobstersky the Glacial Pine is in the Sandaled Plain. Seek this place if you hunt Kyono the hill titan".

Me: "Can you tell me the way to Lobstersky the Glacial Pine?"

Law giver: "The freak bride of shadow Aye Embracedlover is well traveled and would probably have that information".

Me: "Yeeahh...anyone else?"

Law giver: "The ogress spouse of the shadow Senama Skylock is well-traveled and would probably have that information."

It's gonna be one of those days...

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14330 on: July 15, 2017, 11:48:17 pm »

Law giver: "Lobstersky the Glacial Pine is in the Sandaled Plain. Seek this place if you hunt Kyono the hill titan".

Me: "Can you tell me the way to Lobstersky the Glacial Pine?"

Law giver: "The freak bride of shadow Aye Embracedlover is well traveled and would probably have that information".

Me: "Yeeahh...anyone else?"

Law giver: "The ogress spouse of the shadow Senama Skylock is well-traveled and would probably have that information."

It's gonna be one of those days...

I didn't know that they would say that.

Presumably the game doesn't fully register that the well traveled individuals are now night trolls? Maybe?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #14331 on: July 16, 2017, 01:32:21 am »

I does sound kinda story-hook-ish to seek out a night creature for directions. Could see a threetoe story where that happens.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #14332 on: July 16, 2017, 03:12:40 am »

Well, that was... horribly annoying. Playing warcraft mod as ethereal lasher. Walked in town, toppled statue, become blessed warrior  :P (Big buff to physical attributes + ability to generate MASSIVE cloud of dust that throw everyone including you away and sometimes even in the air). Travelled to paladin tower, killed a bunch of paladins that tried to ambush me, in tower just grabbed both slabs(necromantic and paladin's), get truly overpowered from all the buffs(you lash troll necromancer in the head with your iron whip, and body part is crushed! Upper spine smashed into a body!) retired in nearby town.
   Decided to test, if dwarves in fortress mode can read slabs and started fortress nearby. Played for a while, retire. Unretired adventurer - both slabs and whip still in inventory. Travelled to fortress... Remember kids - NEVER retire adventurer with slabs still in inventory in your fortress. They both totally disappeared from the game. Even in legends mode they are named as "unknown artifact" and they string   is totally black and empty.
I have another "necro" tower nearby, but dammit.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14333 on: July 16, 2017, 03:25:08 am »

That's a first - I never heard of that glitch before (though the few times I retired adventurers in forts I made sure to dump their stuff onto the ground).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14334 on: July 16, 2017, 04:01:02 am »

I does sound kinda story-hook-ish to seek out a night creature for directions. Could see a threetoe story where that happens.
I asked him about the freak and ogress and he was adamant that they were 'dangerous animals', so I guess he was just messing with me...

Legends Mode says both are resident in this town, and have been for quite a while so maybe people just got used to them. Or something. :)

Mind you, this town's your typically buggy pirate cove with it's fast-travel routes out into the ocean, so you'd expect the occasional weirdness.
There's 468 resident giant sperm whales hanging about somewhere too.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:36:02 am by Shonai_Dweller »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14335 on: July 16, 2017, 05:04:34 am »

Had a massive battle in the catacombs beneath a town's temple (appropriately called the Wicked Temple), as a new race I was working on before.

The bandits were lead by a valkyrie spearwoman, and aside from the beastfolk native to the town, they included quite a bit of other races that are normally found in the wild - mostly hill ettins and mountain giants.

Both of my companions died in the ensuing fight, though I was capable of raising dead bodies as liquified flesh monsters, so it was no big loss, especially combined with the supplies of corpses in the catacombs (most of them died also in the fight, though they did enough damage for it to have been worth it).
One fighter in particular gave me a lot of trouble, a mountain giantess swordswoman. Pretty terrifying to fight a completely armored giant of stone, especially if they also have a khorium machete and a shield. She did eventually go down after I crippled her limbs and broke her armor, but it did take quite a while.

I eventually went after some of the survivors (a pump operator also wandered down into the catacombs for some reason) and had a bit of a surprise - apparently someone had woken up the mummy.

It wasn't hostile to me since I didn't qualify as a living creature - however it did go after the pump operator. Figured I'd do another good deed for the day, so I saved the pump operator from the mummy's attack.

I eventually got attacked by a large group of soldiers in the middle of the city, but the game crashed after I nearly killed all of them. Shame.

EDIT: Thankfully since I had a save not too far away from when I crashed, I decided to give it another go. Things went more or less the same this time, though the pump operator didn't show up - instead the zombies raised by the mummy started trying to exit the catacombs. Also it appears the soldiers had found me earlier, as a crossbowman is shooting at me from a floor above - definitely not as many as last time however. Managed to take them out, gonna retire this adventurer now though.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:46:47 am by ZM5 »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14336 on: July 16, 2017, 11:05:42 am »

...yup.

Cept this time I did it with advfort trickery, also, Obok frightens me.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14337 on: July 16, 2017, 12:08:24 pm »

Bim's counterclockwise circumnavigation of the mountain range, The Constructed Tower, would mean retracing the eastern edge twice and making the same mountain crossing into elf lands. He'll clean up the path by traveling clockwise and visit elf held lands at the end, just before leaving for the equator. He'll try to fulfill his dream of seeing the great natural places of the world. I'm only aware of two types of locations: waterfalls and mountain peaks. He'll head SE over the mountain range, toward ruined fortress Guildtouch 1SE of the peak. He'll make the ascent and eat the drake/duck he's been saving. It looks like a trek of two or three days.

In preparation, before the low mountains, Bim begins dropping the weight of the things he carries. There's what he can/can't do without. He discards into a campfire, the two pig tail robes each weighing 8r, and a pair of pig tail hosen weighing 4r. He spins a spool of giant cave spider silk thread into cloth, and follows an interesting defense for arrows by replacing all inner layers with GCS items: tunic, coat, hosen, headscarf.
His jogging speed under ambusher is 0.424 (with or without the crutch) due to the burden of 7r in vegetables, 6r in cheese, 33r in meat/offal, 13r in books, 2r in sewing kits items, and 31r in iron bolts (27), all kept in separate bags:
Also packed are miscellanea: petrified wood mug weighing 2r, gabbro jug with 16 units of water weighing 9r, the empty gabbro pot weighing 5r, the two salt-filled jars weighing 1r a piece. Then there are the weapons he carries: iron crossbow, steel pick, copper spear, large copper knife, and 3 wood bows (bayberry, apple, larch). A dwarf's life is heavy and moving it from one location to the next with only above average strength is like a farmer's odyssey.

The mountain trek is rote and mindless, but once Bim's about to cross onto the peak tile ^ on the quest map, he begins moving with more deliberation as I guess it might be like walking into a site with only a blip of notice.
Bim has little sense of his bearings as he's been slowly wandering around in the snow and fog at 1 tile view range, looking for upward slopes, but the helpful game tells him twice:
Bim reaches the summit of The Limp Blade of Quakes before night fall. He mills about for a bit until it's dark and eats the end of day meal: 1 unit leek, 2 units duck meat, and 1 unit of alpaca cheese.
With more forethought, he would have brought dwarven wine.

There aren't announcements with waterfalls, but they produce a thought that logs in the express emotions menu. While there's an announcement upon reaching the peak, there's no thought assigned. It only exists if you tell the tale.
Of course, when it's yours, you tell no one. Maybe it's like the secret you whisper into the hole of a tree before sealing the hole with mud? Memories are often false. Bim won't mention this and perhaps in time he won't even remember that it was snowing and a heavy blanket of fog covered everything.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14338 on: July 16, 2017, 08:49:57 pm »

I reached the city quickly enough that I could get to the next city, which is larger and I hadn't visited during full moon, in time for another rising. This would take take me across my own former city. While in population again I learned from the wise that my axegirl was certainly at the vault, whereas before even psychics didn't know whether she was on the earth or under it. Since her only home is my former city and she is still hearthfolk to my former companion ruling it, that would be the ideal place to wait should she decide it's time to move on.

Before going there, I recruited an interesting looking crossbowman and a swordsdwarf wearing and wielding steel. On closer look, the swordsdwarf was someone I'd known all my life; so where was he the many times I'd frequented this tavern before? And the crossbowman looked decrepit and wasn't any fitter than he looked. Perhaps he's very good at not dying; let's see how that works out for him in my company.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14339 on: July 17, 2017, 05:54:31 am »

Kinda wish I could write stories too that others would like also but RL demands my relaxation in games. So I'm stuck playing jack-of-all-trades characters only in every game.

I mean I lack the sense of competition and challenge, I'm not motivated to do any sport-esque stuff. In DF I'm more motivated about having a muscular adventuress wielding her ischronite drolth-sword, ripping and tearing a bloody path and or fields of bloody horror show and I get a dark/evil and yet good satisfaction when I can make a short work of anything that is usually extremely hard with inferior character and gear. I spend more time afterward organizing butchered or yet to be butchered body parts of a large beast for example.

And of course I'm gonna win a battle by now in DF with modding and cheating knowledge, failure in-game is just not an option for me, loss of my character I've invested in making and then getting killed at some point, day or week later is unacceptable, main reason I recently switched my character from a draenei to a super half-succubus/half-draenei aka Ischraayad once again. For my my own sanity's sake, I'm better off that way when considering RL.

I don't mean to sound like my old/previous angry self here by any stretch of imagination as I've been in a stable and in a much chill/calmer state for months now to this day. Just stating my motives/values/thoughts in case of needed clarification.

EDIT: Other than that, adventure-wise I decided to switch my gear's material back to ischronite (and ischronitium for the whip) before the next major beast pest control activity. Was testing the drolth-sword with adamantine properties (and whip with platinum material) on a few more slug-slow undead.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:17:54 am by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky
Pages: 1 ... 954 955 [956] 957 958 ... 1103