Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 956 957 [958] 959 960 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2019395 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14355 on: July 22, 2017, 05:39:58 pm »

Legendary dancer, still not good enough to become a performer for a lord at his mead hall... Dammit.
What ya gotta do is you gotta tell your lord about your previous dancings using the rumour thing.
After you've danced for the lord and he agrees that you're pretty good, offload the site then go talk to the lord again. His rumour updating seems to get 'stuck' sometimes.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14356 on: July 23, 2017, 05:40:13 am »

I have set off on my next expedition to visit a demon master, and along the way two libraries and two vaults.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first leg of my trip, already underway, is a partial retread of my first expedition. I never intended to return to the ruined library, but the path around the frozen ocean brings me near enough that it isn't too far a detour. It's a known source of adamantine I can replace my lost possessions with and the home of my missing dancer. And on the way are evil lands to train my companions in and good lands to get a new featherwood bed.

From there is a small but developed human nation with highly populous cities and tombs. I don't know how they get coffins past that necromancer tower sitting right on the road to the pyramids. Other than those and the vault, the area is scattered with semi-mega lairs that I'll probably include in the tour. The vault has the same population as the last one, angels of ash and pets who make fine backpacks, but I hope to see a better variety of weapons this time. The demon who's name is secured within lives in fairer lands than I'll be touring this trip, though not too far to the south.

And finally the realm of The Rare Seduction, where the boiling demon Wulema is enthroned.  "A gigantic mongoose twisted into humanoid form composed of steam. It has a bloated body." I'm not terribly menaced by the description, but I haven't faced demon master (this version) yet, so I shouldn't make any assumptions about the difficulty. I have her name in case of emergency, but I suspect I'll find more challenging opponents through her gate downstairs.

And the vault just beyond will be a bit of an anticlimax; more Murderous Angels guarding an empty chamber, because the demon who made this pact only exists in history. Her skeleton was part of a colossus' trove, and the lady consort's crossbow is made of her parts.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 05:41:44 am by Uzu Bash »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14357 on: July 23, 2017, 06:22:03 am »

I was going through legends mode and saw this incredibly formidable siege.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14358 on: July 24, 2017, 12:46:56 am »

Finally made it out of the cursed undead mountains, had to keep killing them and saving and reloading the game. Something about that Maiden of Virtue or the roaming undead creatures made my game crash a lot when trying to travel to the Maiden of Virtue's shrine so I resorted to careful travel progression to there.

Didn't know the beast was actually a mechanical human female until I started hacking and chopping at it with my drolth-sword, even its skull makes my travel speed drop so I only took its heart/energy core.

No idea what's up with the corpses roaming on the mountains though as the "beast" I was sent to get rid off had no necromancer abilities other than being more nude and probably much smaller than my Ischraayad, easy to tell away if the opponent is smaller or bigger is to test if I can chop off facial and head features and if those attacks end up being head chops instead then I know I'm dealing with a physically smaller foe usually.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14359 on: July 25, 2017, 11:15:33 am »

My current adventurer, a siren swordswoman called Zhavada Witchwind the Revered Lake of Snakes, is doing pretty well - I just got out of a Mogu towns dungeon after killing around 18 bandits. One of my companions died unfortunately - took a hammer to the head.

For some reason a bunch of citizens was grouped up in the clan kings throne room. I have no idea why. Complaints maybe?

I was heading off to the lair of the duchess of flies, Shal Ashspittle the Cancer of Pulps, when this happened.
Ambushed by...stray animals? They all were hostile but ran off almost immediately.
However, what I didn't notice was a stoneborn axeman hiding in the middle of them - caught me by surprise and managed to sever the nerves in one of my legs, rendering it useless. A bowman was hiding in the animal cluster as well - he wasn't much of a threat to me, but one of my companions, Zalak, engaged him. During the battle, the bowman bit him in the neck and started shaking him around, tearing his nervous tissue apart. While I managed to kill the bowman, Zalak suffocated to death.
I retired at my hometown of Pastlegends, figuring that there isnt much glory in dying when I can't even walk. Wouldn't be able to put up much of a fight.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14360 on: July 25, 2017, 04:55:16 pm »

Finding the dancer back was easier than expected; she was back in my party as soon as I neared the fortress. The lag was much worse than I expected, probably due to the addition of cats and livestock that never sleep, so even at night it was far worse than I was willing to do strand extraction from. I learned that you can build a camp underground and even under mountains, so I transported all the raw I knocked out of the ground by minecart to a base far enough from the fortress's orbit. We made strands, we made merry, we fought antfolk and I reforged two of my divine weapons into masterwork battle axes.

Back on the surface I encountered a non-hostile queen ant, told her a few stories and convinced her to come along. Unfortunately she and the axegirl held a grudge, and as soon as I left them to solo a colossus to train these axes, axegirl dismembered her to bits. This was after the effort of getting her a name from goblin raiding and taking her to climb a peak with us. Oh well, she goes into the shrine trove for archaeologists to puzzle over while reconstructing the colossus that I had dismembered to bits.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14361 on: July 25, 2017, 06:14:13 pm »

Prior to the end of his first day in town, Bim explores Chancehail's ruined temple, following simple (if somewhat overly cautious) anti-mummy rules per z-level: check for blue/yellow exclamation points which signify life, if none, possible danger ahead; if room/balcony is a crypt (has slabs and coffins), turn back; if traps are present, turn back. Bim's not capable of fighting any weaponmaster without using side/back positional advantage, so he remains prone while milling around to reach a Best Possible visual stealth rating. He also relies on legendary+ ambusher's ability to cause failed visual rolls and remain undetected.

Turns out, there are only kobolds in the ruined temple. Kobolds have a low light vision rating that rivals a dwarf's (10k), but they fail their visual rolls. None go No Quarter. Bim moves about unnoticed until he switches to upright exploration. There is some dodging away from a kobold swordsman. Bim refrains from contact as any creatures who wear clothing smaller than a dwarf are damage prone.

On the second day, after the full moon, Bim explores the dungeons below Chancehail's keep. The dungeons below the keep are, at first, only filled with goblin life. It's the same as the temple until Bim sneaks into a room with multiples and the overlapping vision arcs that cover the floor.
A macegoblin makes a successful visual roll and sees Bim, who stands upright and dodges away. He exits the room onto a 1 z-level balcony, is followed by a goblin lasher and the macegoblin. He kites them along until there's a wall, 1 tile behind the lasher. Bim doesn't attempt a disarm, just a grab jump directional throw to stun. Both Bim and the now prone lasher end on the same tile, orthogonal to the wall. Bim leaps off the balcony, sidesteps into another corridor, and accesses a stairwell that eventually leads to a treasure room occupied by two humans.
Quality mavens will rarely find items of high craftsdwarfship here, but there are items with potentially interesting decoration.

While it seems Bim's taking his cues from the D&D Ranger's Handbook for explorers (he could be), he's really just filling out the hidden history world. The reason to view any item with decoration is archeological, as some decorations involve images, and some images might describe an event or suggest the existence of a creature. Seeing an image also inserts it into the known record (maybe just being in the room suffices/a certain tile distance of the item, rather than view description?).
Bim prefers coloring in the world through observation rather than conversation. These items mostly tell Bim about The Kingdom of Day's lawgivers and the recent vampire ascensions. Chancehail is ruled by The Creed of Spray, so none of this is useful at this time.

Bim heads northwest to complete his search for yarn. All he's wearing now is a XXrope reed hoodXX and a XXrope reed cloakXX. Maybe when they fall off he'll be affected by the shame of being uncovered. He's the extreme of shameless, but the game's ignored personality facets before. Sometimes there's just oddness. If you didn't want a character to complain about the weather, level their ambusher to, or start them at novice. Even if your non-ambushing character's a stoic, the rain will bother them.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14362 on: July 26, 2017, 01:27:40 am »

I lost the old man because he was so transfixed with the experience of crab slaying that he couldn't keep the fuck up while I'm crossing a frozen ocean at night. So much for immortality. But if he's exempt from breathing and hypothermia there's still a chance that a century later he shall resurface with mighty bizarre stand ability.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14363 on: July 27, 2017, 01:55:46 pm »

After crossing the three tiles of ocean I had to take a break from the character. It was a short one, but I learned a lot to share about playing a peregrine falcon man.

Peregrine falcon's max speed is 87 mph, which translates to over 5.0 sprint rate. At average strength and agility Jog rate was about 2.64, which is maintained even at surface level, with a much lower stam cost than the same rate 1 zlvl above surface.

I could crawl in the air to reduce profile, but flew at crawl speeds. Switching from crawl to fly even on the ground preserved speed %, so it was possible to switch between stealth flight and rapid bursts of speed. Enemies were unable to detect me when I stealth flew over their heads or backward from their cone of vision. Even vampires detect life wouldn't target me.

I could train crutch walking with no penalty to speed, at ground and in the air, though the stam cost still applied.  I could train climbing by jumping, and though I was unable to switch to flight from a fall, my mass was so low that 8 zlvl drops did no damage, and impacts from higher falls were absorbed by rope reed and kenaf.

I also learned that if a serpent man's venom gets in your blood, you're fucked even if you win. Size doesn't delay, yet I had long enough to kill it and had forgotten about it before it took effect. Drinking his vampire blood failed to cure.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14364 on: July 27, 2017, 10:38:39 pm »

However, what I didn't notice was a stoneborn axeman hiding in the middle of them
Mowgli found an axe and decided to use it to avenge his animal friends.
I retired at my hometown of Pastlegends, figuring that there isnt much glory in dying when I can't even walk. Wouldn't be able to put up much of a fight.
You shouldn't have given up so quickly. You could've traveled to a mead hall and picked up a crutch -- after you've gained enough Crutch Walking skill you even would be able to walk faster with the crutch than if you had never lost a leg at all.

Anyway, my adventurer recently stormed the capital of the local gobbo civ, specifically the slade tower. I rescued 25 children (though one has a mangled heart) and killed innumerable goblins, trolls, and beak dogs. I lost my companion though. I attacked a goblin and decided to back away once it started running away faster than I could chase it, but my companion continued to pursue. I later found his mangled carcass in a hallway filled to the brim with blood and goblin bodies. I took it to later burn or maybe even entomb it.

Edit: Umm...the children seem to have started attacking each other. It's not everybody-attacking-everybody, just occassionally one of the children somehow stops being my companion and gets attacked by everybody else. This may have been because I told one child that I was starting an insurrection, and then that child told everybody else, so now those who support my claim are fighting those who don't.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:14:42 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14365 on: July 28, 2017, 08:29:39 pm »

I also learned that if a serpent man's venom gets in your blood, you're fucked even if you win. Size doesn't delay, yet I had long enough to kill it and had forgotten about it before it took effect. Drinking his vampire blood failed to cure.
Fast travel?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14366 on: July 28, 2017, 10:26:01 pm »

Fast travel?
Can't fast travel if you can't breathe. The only thing that would've saved me was transformation to a creature that didn't need to breathe.

I had just gotten over the castle wall and was descending to perch somewhere to travel from when I just plummeted to the ground. I tried drinking the blood in my backpack, and I poured it on the ground to make a pool and was drinking that so rapidly that I got nausea from it. Instead of contracting vampirism I suffocated to death in a pool of bloody vomit and a pool of vomitous blood.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:30:50 pm by Uzu Bash »

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14367 on: July 28, 2017, 10:44:33 pm »

Edit: Umm...the children seem to have started attacking each other. It's not everybody-attacking-everybody, just occassionally one of the children somehow stops being my companion and gets attacked by everybody else. This may have been because I told one child that I was starting an insurrection, and then that child told everybody else, so now those who support my claim are fighting those who don't.

Dwarven daycare at it again.

My adventurer is scouting out a location for a future fortress and leaving plenty of meat, leather, and bones for the future pioneers. She almost got ripped apart by pteranodons and currently needs a crutch and is carrying her own severed thumb. She's also a writer but unfortunately that event isn't considered noteworthy enough to write a book about it to donate to the future library. Maybe I can 'encourage' another pteranodon to earn itself a name so I can kill and write something at least vaguely topical about this important part of the future fortresses pre-history. And then decide what to do with this thumb.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14368 on: July 29, 2017, 12:53:15 am »

I reached a keep right at midnight of Sandstone 10, hardly any time to prepare for the full moon. I got directions to local attractions, parked my party, greeted the tiny row of lairs barricading an outskirt of the city, and set up a base in the middle of it, next to a werecat lady's lair. Weremoose were the toughest of this lot, accomplished wrestlers with horns and hooves and 100 times my mass.

I decided to initiate my axegirl into the primal nightlife of the werecat, right after missing the best opportunity to do it, which was the second night. So I did it in daylight; snuck onto the keep from the rear, dismantled the rock block roof over her head and whispered down to her. She was ready to follow, so I led her over a region tile away before stopping to tell her the story of my moment.

My plan worked better than expected, as she achieved Axe Lord very soon after combat began. I fought defensively until she dropped from exertion, with significant physical improvement for both of us. Then I peeled off her torso coverings, sank teeth into her bare chest, and told her the story of her moment.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14369 on: July 29, 2017, 01:20:24 am »

In each town, Bim's does the same things: view temple carvings, investigate dungeons/catacombs, sift through found/discarded items, and talk to the outcasts at each town's periphery. All the towns in this area, like Chancehail, belong to the civ, The Kingdom of Day. Neither Chancehails, Minesprings or Flungbraids are the true seat of power. Bim will know he's found the capital when its keep contains the civ's vampire law-giver Ado Grottohugs.
The only towns remaining are Faintbabies # to the NW or Rayguard * to the NE.
While roaming the peninsula, first southward to sneak into one of the various bandit camps in the area, then later northward on his way to the town of Faintbabies, Bim encounters wolf packs three times.

In the first instance, Bim plays non-lethal king of the hill. He aims to cause morale failure through bruising damage, cumulative pain damage, or exhaustion. Mechanically, this is to use low grade blunt force to drive them off. With each landed blow a morale failure could occur causing flight. True to description, wolves are territorial, and after driving the first two away, another engages/returns while Bim mills about their claim. Narratively, this is to tier up a few skills for the express emotions menu. Kicker, misc obj. user, sword and knife all tier to novice via light blows to the legs, as all other bodyparts could suffer catastrophic damage despite using blunt quick attacks at 1/2 the momentum of a standard attack.
Dodger ends up at over the halfway mark between competent/skilled.

Now with dodger up, Bim can switch over to playing archer-ranger which is what he does against the next two packs. In order to archer-ranger with surety and without huge advantage (no shield while firing a bow at under 20 tiles or the Legolas point-blank method), you kinda need to know how to cause attacker roll-to-hit failure (combat message is The <attacker> misses you!).
Competent dodger (w/much help from superdwarven spatial/kinesthetic sense), versus a wolf's dabbling biter/striker, is more than enough to trigger roll-to-hit failure.

While wolves are territorial, they will leave their claim to attack you. It's unknown what L+? ambusher level Bim's reached, but it's enough to cause failed visual rolls to the extent that he needs to pass into the red of a creature's vision arc to register, even in the open with no significant visual stealth factors in play. In this way Bim only engages the 2 hostile wolves from the second pack, and 3 from the third. Wolves who remained neutral were left alone.
The glut of misses doesn't give as much dodger XP as jump/roll away would. but it's enough to tier armor user to novice. Each miss = Dodger/Fighter/Observer/Armor User XP.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:26:15 am by peasant cretin »
Pages: 1 ... 956 957 [958] 959 960 ... 1104