Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 957 958 [959] 960 961 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2015091 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14370 on: July 29, 2017, 02:00:39 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
in which i geld and kill people with a barrel
What are those red asterisks? Are you able to sense them because you're a vampire? I'm more motivated than ever to find a temple...

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14371 on: July 29, 2017, 02:36:59 pm »

Yeah, if you're a vampire you sense most creatures through walls (in the raws its any creature with [CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON])

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #14372 on: July 29, 2017, 03:31:33 pm »

I'm currently following a lone goblin swordsman with my two companions. I lost my left hand to her earlier, and would have been injured worse if I hadn't suddenly remembered that peregrine men can fly. She slashed my leg while I was taking off, though.

I wonder if she's a scout of some sort for an invasion? I found a formerly human-occupied mead hall nearby that was empty except for Zom Evilstrap, goblin crossbowman, whom my companions proceed to dice fairly quickly. And I've heard some rumors from villagers concerning armies on the march...

If my biological shields companions take care of this gobbo, I'm going to find a crutch.
EDIT: We managed to outrun her, and once she fainted from pain I lashed her in the head, driving the skull through the brain.
Not only that, but my companions now call me a "protector of the defenseless," which is odd because (a) the civilization was annoyed that I'd attacked the earlier goblin crossbowman, and (b) ... a Dwarf Fortress player being a defender of the weak? That's new.

And the next person I talked to greeted me by saying "thank you for all you do."
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 03:47:06 pm by Eschar »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14373 on: July 30, 2017, 05:43:21 pm »

I made camp in a bend on a major trade route that had turned diagonal to avoid the necromancer's tower that was in visual range. I set up a makeshift sheltered tavern and a trade depot and got myself and company refreshed before investigating the tower.

If I believed in curses, then I have composed for a cursed form. Every time I have created an example of this form, I become crashprone, so I was saving in baby steps, but every time I brought my companions with me I crashed either during the fight or while regrouping. Every attempt on this tower was a different experience annulled by application failure. And the zombies' indifference to me was so unexpected that I had already plunged through them to cut down a necromancer in the lobby and was hacking my way back out before I realized that they weren't hostile.

Eventually I left my companions aside and ventured into the tower alone. The zombies poured out of it in the direction of my companions and then stalled, unsure of what to do with them or me. So I let myself in, and had some stern words with the few beastfolk necromancers who were hostile to me. The other necros must not have approved of them either, as they made no attempt to revive their bodies. But after browsing their library of self-absorbed ravings and the fruitless waste they'd made of their extended life, I decided they must be wiped from the face of the World of Prophecies. My principles had been deeply wounded in my studies, and for that someone must pay!

I found the corners of the area that would contain them, dug a two-wide channel around it and removed ramps, built a single support across it, then mined out the entire square area beneath the tower.
Then I removed the support:

The demolition buffed me into the air several times and coated me with white sand, sandy clay and chalk before I regained consciousness. But I woke up to a sight that filled me with a satisfaction so profound that even the gods strive to achieve it:

Where there was tower, now there was heavy smoke from flickering flames and the dust of pulverized masonry mixed with stray bricks. I amused myself for awhile by kicking the few undead that remained into the fire, then regathered my companions and return to camp. I'll look at it again in daylight, but I know I won't find any of these:

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14374 on: July 30, 2017, 08:53:32 pm »

I decided to create a peasant adventurer instead of my usual demigod. I recruited some companions, traveled around a bit...
And was dismembered by a pack of giant hyenas in my sleep.
Jeez.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14375 on: July 30, 2017, 09:35:45 pm »

I made camp in a bend on a major trade route that had turned diagonal to avoid the necromancer's tower that was in visual range. I set up a makeshift sheltered tavern and a trade depot and got myself and company refreshed before investigating the tower.

If I believed in curses, then I have composed for a cursed form. Every time I have created an example of this form, I become crashprone, so I was saving in baby steps, but every time I brought my companions with me I crashed either during the fight or while regrouping. Every attempt on this tower was a different experience annulled by application failure. And the zombies' indifference to me was so unexpected that I had already plunged through them to cut down a necromancer in the lobby and was hacking my way back out before I realized that they weren't hostile.

Eventually I left my companions aside and ventured into the tower alone. The zombies poured out of it in the direction of my companions and then stalled, unsure of what to do with them or me. So I let myself in, and had some stern words with the few beastfolk necromancers who were hostile to me. The other necros must not have approved of them either, as they made no attempt to revive their bodies. But after browsing their library of self-absorbed ravings and the fruitless waste they'd made of their extended life, I decided they must be wiped from the face of the World of Prophecies. My principles had been deeply wounded in my studies, and for that someone must pay!

I found the corners of the area that would contain them, dug a two-wide channel around it and removed ramps, built a single support across it, then mined out the entire square area beneath the tower.

The demolition buffed me into the air several times and coated me with white sand, sandy clay and chalk before I regained consciousness. But I woke up to a sight that filled me with a satisfaction so profound that even the gods strive to achieve it:

Where there was tower, now there was heavy smoke from flickering flames and the dust of pulverized masonry mixed with stray bricks. I amused myself for awhile by kicking the few undead that remained into the fire, then regathered my companions and return to camp. I'll look at it again in daylight, but I know I won't find any of these:

That's freaking awesome. Well done!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14376 on: July 31, 2017, 09:02:54 am »

I came back to the tower to train fighting without the complication of re-reanimating corpses. The tower structure was there with a lobby full of zombies, but all furniture was destroyed, even the doors and hatches had been blown off. After heavy fighting with the undead I found my companions so mired in the consequences of their stupidity that only the ones who survived my race to the border would be able to travel with me.

Unfortunately none of them came with me. I returned again, confirmed the body of the dancer and destroyed her killer. Axegirl and the swordsdwarf were MIA, and only their teeth and the axegirl's hand could be recovered, along with dropped weapons and shields. It could be a week before they resurface, and I'll still be in the area until next full moon. If they have taken terminal spinal damage I may lose them both, but if I wait for axegirl's transformation then I can be certain she'll recover. I don't intend to spread the curse to the dwarf, but it may be necessary to save his life.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14377 on: August 01, 2017, 12:15:38 am »

What mod enables adventure mode digging?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14378 on: August 01, 2017, 02:34:24 am »

What mod enables adventure mode digging?
AdvFort. Comes with DFHack.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:37:19 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14379 on: August 01, 2017, 08:06:57 pm »

I wanted to proceed briskly to the vault in order to have a base of operations prepared, but first I detoured along the row of hamlets in search of a vampire who had been winning spear and axe throwing championships in the capitol for over 110 years. She had recently taken refuge in a new hamlet and settled into the profession of bone doctor. While telling her the stories of monster slaying and mountain climbing, she claimed to be unfit to brave danger with me. So I convinced her of the value of knowledge and nature and the worthlessness of peace and tranquility, then she became excited to pursue a life of adventure and excitement! She has solid physical fitness, typical mercenary combat abilities and Great Thrower, though I've never seen an NPC throw anything. I finally gave her a masterwork bronze pick I found in a mummy's tomb, as she doesn't need previous skill to leverage her (un)natural attributes with it and it would make a devastating missile if she ever did throw it.

Regarding the tombs, I've concluded that werebeasts are no longer at risk of the mummy's wrath. Twice out of three tombs my vampire companion awoke it and it immediately sheated its weapon and wandered about disoriented. It didn't respond to any of our greetings or say anything, and didn't animate any dead. The third time I made certain to awake it myself, and saw the same behavior. When I attacked it myself, then it animated corpses and its own severed arm, but still didn't inflict the curse.

EDIT: Two things I learned. A tavern in a ruined city only has one empty floor accessible, and you can't ask about 'structure'.  After the site has government the tavern floor will be furnished except for barrels and chests, and staircase up will appear along with fully furnished rooms.

And this is what happens when you collide with a tree at high velocity.

The payload was ejected in a parabola with roughly 25 degree spread, so some of the blocks hung in several zlvls of branches while the rest scattered on the snow. I believe I'll make my workshop where most of it landed, right after I cut down that fucking tree.

EDIT: Because once wasn't enough:
That time I woke up resting on a bough, unable to use arms and legs or to travel from the obstructions. I could take a nap, which is the first step in making a plan.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:18:15 am by Uzu Bash »

Murderkill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14380 on: August 02, 2017, 10:22:00 pm »

So, I was aimlessly exploring the wild when I found a fortress. Decided to go inside. There was quite a few rabbits, but no dwarves. Explored it a bit more and found only one live dwarf, the mayor. He was talking to the rabbits.

The obvious choice was to put him out of his misery.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 10:24:04 pm by Murderkill »
I name all my adventurers Daven.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14381 on: August 02, 2017, 11:16:01 pm »

Maybe the fort was visited by an evil wizard who turned everyone into rabbits?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14382 on: August 03, 2017, 12:09:13 am »

Bim mills about the town Faintbabies and finds an entrance to the sewer. The sewer system leads to a crypt. Usually a crypt = turn back, but there's so much bandit activity, it's safe enough. The real tells are pairing crypts with traps and piles of higher quality loot. Then it's really time to go, unless you don't mind being cursed. These catacombs are beneath a small, intact, but inactive temple: The Sanctum of Coasts.
There's no priest holding vigil; instead it's a friendly elf swordsmaster.

Day's end, under a steady rain, Bim eats the first cooked food of the adventure: boiled meat. Makes sense since there's water everywhere. Rangers generally don't sleep indoors; Bim spends the night under a tree. It's still raining at daybreak and Bim starts the morning by making bone stock in a goblin merchant's living quarters.
Since the recipe requires salt, which is a powder, this wasn't something he could do outside in the rain, as powders wash away.

By the time of the artifact release, I doubt Bim will have melee'd enough to make the shift from high strength to superior, triggering a description change, but my guess is as of now, so long as he only eats 4 units of food at day's end, he'll always be at the lowest bodyfat (he has a short, broad frame with almost no fat on it) and may not be able to tier up to superior.
That would be interesting if this was so, as it'd be fairly consistent with how strength gain works in RL. While there are genetic strength freaks (100lb woman w/single rep 463 squat), there's a strength cap if you don't eat.

Bim's top sprint at high strength, super(dwarven) agility is 3.2. He'd likely hit 3.3xx just before superior strength would tier to superdwarven and then sprint would drop probably to 3.1 once strength caps. I doubt this is the case, but this too would be interesting: if you made the choice to hit super(racial) strength, your dodge might not receive the benefit it tends to receive off of super(racial) agility/spatial/kinesthetic. That would definitely give variety to managing different builds.

So yeah, if not enough food is holding Bim back from tier-ing up, then this will be the model for future runs.

Unhacker

• Bay Watcher
  • The Laziest bastard on the Internet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14383 on: August 03, 2017, 07:50:53 am »

I'm currently trying to find some bandits in a hamlet. Only problem being that the area of the map I'm in seems to have two climates:

1. Fucking freezing so all your water freezes and the river freezes as well

2. Temperate for some reason, so the water is no longer frozen, drink up while you can, bitch.

Whenever I find the hamlet, I'm confused if this is a bandit hamlet or just a friendly one. Welp, not going to be friendly for much longer.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14384 on: August 03, 2017, 03:16:18 pm »

Whenever I find the hamlet, I'm confused if this is a bandit hamlet or just a friendly one. Welp, not going to be friendly for much longer.
It must be friendly when a bunch of friendly guys with weapons welcome you and gather around you to chat.
Pages: 1 ... 957 958 [959] 960 961 ... 1103