Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 960 961 [962] 963 964 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2019700 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14415 on: August 09, 2017, 08:33:39 pm »

"Victory, war, death, and murder" is a pretty ideal set of spheres for setting up vaults, huh.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14416 on: August 09, 2017, 08:37:40 pm »

Gets punched in the face by a giant. Bruises the fat. Jumps off a 2 z ledge onto the grass below. Chest explodes in gore.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14417 on: August 09, 2017, 09:31:15 pm »

Gets punched in the face by a giant. Bruises the fat. Jumps off a 2 z ledge onto the grass below. Chest explodes in gore.

Welcome to Dwarf Freaking Fortress my friend.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14418 on: August 09, 2017, 09:36:30 pm »

"Victory, war, death, and murder" is a pretty ideal set of spheres for setting up vaults, huh.
I agree, but they're doing it wrong. The angels are made of ash and most of them carry hammers and maces. Divine metal hammers and maces.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #14419 on: August 09, 2017, 09:41:20 pm »

Sounds like a good excuse to go do a bunch of easy dungeons, if you ask me.

Hmm. If angels are generated per-god, does that mean that the game generates angels even for gods that didn't make vaults?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14420 on: August 09, 2017, 11:14:49 pm »

Sounds like a good excuse to go do a bunch of easy dungeons, if you ask me.

Hmm. If angels are generated per-god, does that mean that the game generates angels even for gods that didn't make vaults?
No, only 4 flavors have been generated in this world's data, and my previous worlds have had more. 5 Murderous Angel vaults, 2 Miserable Enforcer vaults (actually quite nice guys,) then Messengers of Depravity and Enforcers of Zekrim, which I could swear I've seen in another world.

EDIT: Made two discoveries while chasing dingos off my roof with crossbow and bolts made of their bones (can't you take a hint that you're not welcome?!) First was that when shooting from a sprint, I could shoot at my sprinting pace, and maintain that pace while shooting. I could reach top speed and right after firing a few rapid bolts, continue running and shoot some more.

The second was that a chimney with a grate over it makes a great garbage disposal. You can take what you want from butchered bodies and dismantle the grate to instantly immolate the rest. With advfort you can link a lever to the grate and -- Voila! --wet dog scented potpourri!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:42:27 am by Uzu Bash »

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14421 on: August 10, 2017, 02:53:35 pm »

I have been working on a custom race, a more advanced version of fox people that are capable of building civilizations. While testing, I have found it amusing to generate worlds and examine their histories. Sometimes I find an opportunity for a quest. I then write down a summary of the situation and a narrative where I come in. The first time I wanted to try a self-assigned quest, which was to assassinate the vampire king who has excluded himself from future vampire purges, ended in the discovery of a bug that caused fox people to become slowed down extremely quickly with even the smallest amount of equipment - while at normal speed in the Arena, starting out with the most basic clothing in adventure mode already drops your speed down to 0.700. After fixing that, a world reset was required, because applying the fix on the existing world somehow made the fox person even slower!

Anyway, here's my current two quests I have found, copied directly from my notes:

• Thebil Ekastilon Nikot Ducim, a female troll, has been killing fox people and eating their livestock for a long time. It's high time for someone to put a stop to it. She lives in Cruelhells. Unfortunately, the scholars has no record on where it was, so we'll have to ask around!
  • For a change, a foxen civ, war party led by Abe Applesequal, has been dominating an elven civ for a long time rather than the other way around. Maybe an elf is tired of this.

I'm going to do those and post the results ASAP.

Edit: Both of these couldn't be done because the continent where they take place is not accessible from any settlement bigger than a hamlet, and you can't start an armed adventurer from a hamlet. :/
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 04:42:23 am by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14422 on: August 11, 2017, 02:13:23 am »

A lot has happened with my character. I started exploring a dungeon. First thing I did was trade the mound of hippo bone crafts I made earlier for a dwarf''s armor. I later  started killing off the dungeon inhabitants, luring them one-by-one into rarely-visited rooms and stabbing them from behind.

I then spotted the warlord. Very luckily, on my first shot I made him drop his weapon, a silver great axe. The battle moved over to an adjacent room; I managed to chop one of his feet off. Then, one-by-one, warriors start coming into the room, seeing me fight the warlord, and starting to attack me. What's funny is I can always seriously incapacitate them in some way, but I can't actually kill any of them. So now I have this horde of disabled criminals following me around.

P.S. One of the warriors I actually was able to kill was the guy from whom I bought my armor, so I got all my crafts back for future trade.
EDIT: I killed 'em all and stole their money. Also, I jump everywhere now. Even on Sprint my guy moves at 0.1/0.1 due to having around fifteen pouches full of money, a full set of armor, a LOT of weapons, my newly returned set of hippo bone crafts, and my companion's dead body. Jumping speed apparently does not depend on how much I'm carrying, and doesn't appear to tire me.
EDIT: I leveled up to High in Toughness, Endurance, and Spatial/Kinesthetic Sense. I also got decent weapon skills. I got a severed sensory nerve in my left hand, but I think it only stops me from feeling pain -- it doesn't stop me from moving my hand. Regardless, I can't use my left hand right now because its muscle is cut apart.

The scene of the fighting:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:46:59 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14423 on: August 11, 2017, 07:09:16 am »

Found a vault. Went inside. The guys are made of bronze. Nope nope nope!
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14424 on: August 11, 2017, 08:12:14 am »

Axegirl's retrieval didn't go so well; apparently wereforms and zombies are mutually hostile, and in the 16 tile sprint to the border she took a beating that cost her a hand (or paw.) After all the effort I went through to craft her a masterwork left gauntlet. I managed to part with the dwarf peaceably, mostly. I asked him to leave the party, threw him in the direction he should flee, and he made a sensible departure before axegirl could catch up with him.

I got her equipped (minus a gauntlet) to go werehunting, let her do most of the work so her attributes could develop, and inspected the night's variety of werecreatures. Though my mass increase is relatively small, I seem to have gotten the high end of stat benefit compared to most of them, including axegirl. There were two who started superhuman and could go double, a werecavy (roughly my size) and a werezebra (over 100k!) They were good enough wrestlers to negate my armor, but as per usual were crippled by their AI.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14425 on: August 11, 2017, 08:30:14 am »

I actually got a weaponmaster to join me, problem is he was a leapordman... He kept lagging behind us, 2-3 map tiles away at usual. Got into a wee battle with a camp of bandits, all my companions died, I was barely holding out parrying and deflecting the four guys that were left. Things were looking bad, I was getting close to the point where I could pass out from exhaustion, when suddenly- corner of the screen in comes my leapordman companion. He had two new kills to his name, just boars, but nothing seemed wrong. He slowly walked over to save me, and just as I passed out, he massacred my opponents. I actually woke up after being disabled in combat, though I did have a lot of cuts and bruises on my face. We celebrated at the meadhall, wherein I took his pouch and gave him twenty units of beet wine before fast travelling so as to not kill him. We also took a bunch of barrels of wine too, it's kind of hard to move without dropping them and the massive chest of coins we have from the bandit camp. Oddly enough some of the coins are from a civ that died in year 19, this is year 503.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14426 on: August 11, 2017, 11:34:09 am »

Working on my foxen race, I decided to test their combat abilities by sneaking into a tomb. They are remarkably light-stepped, the place was filled with weapon traps but none of them was triggered, even if stood right on top of them.

The first attempt went very well -- so well, that I decided to sneak into the second tomb right next to it, which went horrible. I then realized I didn't save after I did the first tomb, so I had to try again.

After several tries, I noticed that the mummy had used her tail attacks on me and it was quite effective. So on the next try I tried to disarm her by using my tail attack on the hand that she was holding her weapon with, and it sailed off in an arc.

I might have to tweak their tails a bit.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14427 on: August 11, 2017, 11:40:37 am »

Working on my foxen race, I decided to test their combat abilities by sneaking into a tomb. They are remarkably light-stepped, the place was filled with weapon traps but none of them was triggered, even if stood right on top of them.

The first attempt went very well -- so well, that I decided to sneak into the second tomb right next to it, which went horrible. I then realized I didn't save after I did the first tomb, so I had to try again.

After several tries, I noticed that the mummy had used her tail attacks on me and it was quite effective. So on the next try I tried to disarm her by using my tail attack on the hand that she was holding her weapon with, and it sailed off in an arc.

I might have to tweak their tails a bit.

So why do they have tails sharp enough to sever limbs? Just gonna say it, that doesn't sound too normal...

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14428 on: August 11, 2017, 11:47:41 am »

So why do they have tails sharp enough to sever limbs? Just gonna say it, that doesn't sound too normal...
I just used the pre-existing tail attack that is present, but AFAIK unused, in vanilla DF. I guess Toady doesn't test stuff that doesn't come up in vanilla gameplay very much.

Update: After disarming (literally) the mummy with my tail (which will soon be impossible), I have successfully defeated the mummy! I will now go and see what curse I received.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:41:27 pm by latias1290 »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14429 on: August 11, 2017, 02:47:26 pm »

You can modify the attack to make it have a larger contact area, preventing the frequent severing of limbs (if you want). Or make it not an edge attack, if that's the case.

I'm all for OP creature modding, though. Go for it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 960 961 [962] 963 964 ... 1104