Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 962 963 [964] 965 966 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1994739 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14445 on: August 22, 2017, 08:51:36 am »

Wandering around an Elf site, I stopped at the foot of a hill to chat with some friendly goblin woodworkers and hunters. It was a pleasant situation when suddenly..."the broad hunter is caught in a burst of loamy sand!". Yes, a DF adventurer landslide appeared to be happening.

Somewhat surprised, after the loamy sand had ceased knocking over the poor goblins, I climbed the hill to see what was going on.

There on the ground, next to a tree lay a single bloody Elf. Apparently even elves fall from trees. And this one fell with enough force to send a blast of loamy sand down the mountainside. How amusing!

But wait...did he fall? Or was he pushed?

Peering up the tree I spied an Elf hunter.
"Greetings!", said I.
"Watch out for the bogeyman" intoned the hunter in reply.
"How are you feeling right now?" I asked suspiciously.
"We will be successful" exclaimed the hunter.
Aha, an insurrection! As I suspected, the poor bloody chap at the bottom of the tree had been forcibly thrown.
"Who rules these lands?" I demanded of the possible rebel.
"The Scorching Coasts. It's for the best" said he.
OK perhaps the rebel is the one lying in a heap under the tree. Let's find out what's really going on.
"Does anyone else still have a stake in these lands?" I asked.
The Elf hunter paused, thought a while, and replied, "There are no fewer than 33 other groups vying for control".

Oh this is going to be Fun. :)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14446 on: August 22, 2017, 10:32:08 am »

Wandering around an Elf site, I stopped at the foot of a hill to chat with some friendly goblin woodworkers and hunters. It was a pleasant situation when suddenly..."the broad hunter is caught in a burst of loamy sand!". Yes, a DF adventurer landslide appeared to be happening.

Somewhat surprised, after the loamy sand had ceased knocking over the poor goblins, I climbed the hill to see what was going on.

There on the ground, next to a tree lay a single bloody Elf. Apparently even elves fall from trees. And this one fell with enough force to send a blast of loamy sand down the mountainside. How amusing!

But wait...did he fall? Or was he pushed?

Peering up the tree I spied an Elf hunter.
"Greetings!", said I.
"Watch out for the bogeyman" intoned the hunter in reply.
"How are you feeling right now?" I asked suspiciously.
"We will be successful" exclaimed the hunter.
Aha, an insurrection! As I suspected, the poor bloody chap at the bottom of the tree had been forcibly thrown.
"Who rules these lands?" I demanded of the possible rebel.
"The Scorching Coasts. It's for the best" said he.
OK perhaps the rebel is the one lying in a heap under the tree. Let's find out what's really going on.
"Does anyone else still have a stake in these lands?" I asked.
The Elf hunter paused, thought a while, and replied, "There are no fewer than 33 other groups vying for control".

Oh this is going to be Fun. :)

33 groups vying for control? 33 freaking groups? That's a full scale elven civil war right there.

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14447 on: August 22, 2017, 02:02:13 pm »

First time in adventure mode.

I search a kidnapped human in a dark pit, attack some goblin bowman, 5 minutes searching the controls because i can't stand up and move faster, I had lost grasp and stand when other bowman shoot 3 copper arrows that perfore my leather armor.
Sneaking and crawling out of the Dark pit, a little drowning in the river because only 1 leg work, and finally return to the human city. The door is closed so I pick the lock.

The Human Mummy told my that "0" isn't the symbol of Human city, is the symbol of Tomb; and proced to write this lesson in my skull with is bone carving knife.
I have been Stucked Down.
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ň    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻˛
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14448 on: August 22, 2017, 06:24:51 pm »

First time in adventure mode.

I search a kidnapped human in a dark pit, attack some goblin bowman, 5 minutes searching the controls because i can't stand up and move faster, I had lost grasp and stand when other bowman shoot 3 copper arrows that perfore my leather armor.
Sneaking and crawling out of the Dark pit, a little drowning in the river because only 1 leg work, and finally return to the human city. The door is closed so I pick the lock.

The Human Mummy told my that "0" isn't the symbol of Human city, is the symbol of Tomb; and proced to write this lesson in my skull with is bone carving knife.
I have been Stucked Down.

That was a solidly good tale. I tend to think of suffering a mummy's curse as a suitable later game event, as by then you can cut through the throng. It also adds some randomness at a time when the randomness has been mostly removed. Death by mummy is a worthy death. It's an explorer's death.

//////////////////////////////////////

A few days after his encounter with Lomifo and well northward into the heart of the Kingdom of Day, Bim once again reaches a latitude band with bayberry trees. I'd been planning to have Bim make a masterwork bayberry wood bow once he mastered archery, but back then he was traveling in an area that only had fruit trees.

Quality for item crafted is RNG determined, often irrespective of skill level due to buffs from well-met needs. In unmodded vanilla DF, there are only end stage products for crafting. Specific to this mod is that there are both end stage products and intermediate stage products. Narratively/simulation-wise it seems sensible that you'd gain skill for a product made at any stage. Here, bow making involves crafting a bow stave, 2 side nocks, and a bow string. These items are then assembled into the end stage product.

If you only want one instance of a crafted masterwork, there's a way to plan ahead. Bim only crafts after sleep and he's done this from the start of the run. This way he's under the status effect of stunned, which debuffs all skills by 50%. I was prepared to have Bim spend the day sleeping 1 hour at a time while making bows, but he managed to make a masterwork bayberry wood bow in two attempts.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Luck of the draw.

At day's end, Bim arrives at a minotaur's labyrinth. While I don't want Bim filling a monster bucket list, minotaurs—given their dietary preference for sapients—are creatures that ought to be slain.
The vanilla DF minotaur is largely a level 6 monster, aside from its level 8 melee.
Before descent, Bim eats his 4 units of food and sleeps 8 hours. Bim's on an eating/sleep cycle where he reaches a level of hunger that debuffs and becomes drowsy at/around sunset. When he awakens he leads an alligator into the depths hoping to feed the minotaur a last meal.

The minotaur is the first pain-feeling creature of significant size, and while there are many ways to slay a beast, Bim structures this around the goal of cumulative pain damage. This would be the least random of methods given his skill set and weapons.

Most solid starts are bottom upwards. Grounding is the first combat goal, not just to remove enemy charge attack, but because everyone wants the double momentum versus a prone target. The foot is the smallest and thinnest lower body part, allowing a character to achieve the most penetration damage to fat, muscle and bone.

Cumulative pain is bottom upwards. Damage to spine or nerves will render everything below that point pain-free. Once nerves are damaged, move upwards: foot -> lower leg -> upper leg -> hand -> lower arm -> upper arm -> lower body -> upper body -> head, until the creature gives in to pain, bleeds out, etc.

In sacrifice to the RNG God, Bim starts with a bone fracturing javelin toss for good pain damage, then switches to a more generically named scimitar/shield.
After a grounding stab to the right foot (quick attack + SE dodge away)…
…the remainder of the fight (3 grabs/3 quick attacks) is Bim using a landed grab attack to negate minotaur dodge, and the following round, again stabbing the minotaur's right foot.
Due to grounding, each quick attack stab has the same momentum as a standard attack.
Sometimes the RNG God asks for damage volume over damage intensity. Here just targeting the same part until damage reaches a critical mass works out.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 06:30:45 pm by peasant cretin »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14449 on: August 22, 2017, 06:56:45 pm »

Ha, first time I noticed this. Conversation with the local babysnatcher:
"You look like a mighty warrior indeed."
"For fourteen of my years, I have been rescuing lost children and bringing them back to Larvastroked."

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14450 on: August 22, 2017, 07:41:37 pm »

Ha, first time I noticed this. Conversation with the local babysnatcher:
"You look like a mighty warrior indeed."
"For fourteen of my years, I have been rescuing lost children and bringing them back to Larvastroked."

Dwarven CPS confirmed.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14451 on: August 23, 2017, 04:13:10 pm »

After all this time, I figured out a use for a demon companion. Earlier I'd actually cancelled her control, expecting to kill her when she attacked, but she didn't; not me or anyone else. In fact she just milled about the tavern like any guest. She regretted not being able to join me voluntarily because her duty was there. So I called her by name and took her along anyway.

Because I couldn't get into her hell, I located a tube beneath a dwarf fortress and to breach it easier. The way down was frought with the peril of dumb mistakes, and I had to offload the map quickly a few times, setting me back completely. And because my flying companion couldn't just fly over water, I had to dig and construct a path for her to fly over. Eventually I got impatient with accommodating her and just went down myself. And as I was constructing a raw adamantine staircase to slade, I saw this:

I could really use a flying companion to intervene against webbers.

EDIT: There are no park rangers in hell, so you may start campfires at your own discretion. Please use this awesome power responsibly.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 04:32:40 pm by Uzu Bash »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14452 on: August 24, 2017, 04:03:58 am »

I realized most of my problems with adventure mode nowadays come from short world generation. I've generated a much older world and found so much cool stuff, including
.A wrestling oriented bandit camp so huge that it counts as a spawn spot for humans
.Generations and families of night creatures
.Lords engaging in secret warfare against their goblin occupiers
.And many, many quirks I believed were taken out of the game.

Most recently, I was tasked by my lord with clearing out a bandit camp. When I got there, it was empty, and on my way back, I found some people scattered about. They would not talk or move, and their clothes were absolutely destroyed. Eventually, if I spent too long next to them, they would attack. I wonder what is wrong with them. The trail of tracking the bandits is full of dead bodies. I'm wondering if they are their dead bodies.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 04:12:13 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14453 on: August 24, 2017, 07:35:12 am »

I did poke around a bit more on my own, but didn't see the demon webspinners, or feel like going back by the time I reached my companions. While there I got a notable kill on a chatty brine ghost (made of salt, vulnerable to kicks to the body,) and a more reticent pangolin brute (lumbering meat tank, beware the deadly spitting that never hits.) Telling stories about this got me reputation as a common killer.

But they're the same way about demon masters, you kill one and say, "Hey everyone, I vanquished the demonic tyrant of hordes of homicidal maniacs, the very epitome of evil!" they'll just say, "So you ended the days of The Terrible Disemboweler. Are you proud of yourself? Because no one else is!"
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 07:37:14 am by Uzu Bash »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14454 on: August 24, 2017, 06:52:40 pm »

But they're the same way about demon masters, you kill one and say, "Hey everyone, I vanquished the demonic tyrant of hordes of homicidal maniacs, the very epitome of evil!" they'll just say, "So you ended the days of The Terrible Disemboweler. Are you proud of yourself? Because no one else is!"
You don't do it for the fame, you do it for the glory! The challenge of defeating (arguably) the toughest fight in vanilla DF! Brag about it on the forums, not in the game!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14455 on: August 24, 2017, 08:56:26 pm »

I'll probably find tougher demon masters, but this one is made of steam, with all the weaknesses of lower-than-flesh density. She's very difficult to hit, but one solid blunt strike is enough to finish her. She's massive, but such low density that her unarmed attacks get deflected by clothing.

Her body temperature is twice what it would take to denature proteins, and she heats up everything in her inventory to that temperature, but she doesn't cook the flesh off everyone she touches because heatdam threshold is based on combustion point, not on what an organism can actually survive.

EDIT: Bit of !SCIENCE!, when I first noticed I had lost speed (from 1.805 to 1.801,) my stored fat was around 430k, and it probably started upper-mid 300k. Typical ranges for characters would be from mid 300k to high 400k. So I started offloading the map every time I ate or drank alcohol, and because I could sustain a run in non-combat situations, I started doing that all the time. Most combats are settled before exhaustion becomes significant.

Around 270k fat, my Jog rate exceeded my starting rate (to 1.808) and top sprint increased to 4.0. Now around 180k fat my Jog rate is 1.814, but I lately checked my size.
Before and after:

I don't know how significant a loss that is, but I've probably overshot a happy medium. But I'll continue for the sake of !SCIENCE! Total loss of stored fat won't kill you, you'd still have to be days into starvation to die from it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 02:45:05 pm by Uzu Bash »

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14456 on: August 27, 2017, 04:08:12 am »

I went across the world to kill an elven vampire for my lady.

When I finally got to sloshvault, the city, where he supposedly lives, this is what I faced

Oh, aside of the army of cats in the streets, they also have goblins living under the castle.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14457 on: August 27, 2017, 06:46:20 pm »

I've lost track of time before, but never at the worst possible time.

I was performing a dance I composed for the court when me and axebitch transformed. And nobody reacted. The music didn't stop, and we kept on dancing in circles while I tried to snatch up my gear from the pile it dropped in with each pass. It was a very long piece, but not long enough to get everything. The music stopped and I quickly grabbed and equipped everything else as Tis and everyone still awake in the court went free-for-all. This was one of those dual-axe occasions, so I brandished them and took heads quicker than I could count them.

After cutting a circle of bodies around Tis, I raced out to find who had fled, and tracked the bard I had just been dancing with, on top of the walls along with a marksdwarf I met in the pub. I  counted their heads, jumped down to the courtyard and back inside, where Tis had washed the castle floor with blood and continued downstairs. We finished off the rest (sorry kids, you know it's past your bedtime anyway,) finished getting both of us suited up, and led the way back up the wall, jumped to the other side, and fast traveled.

That's good news, I guess, that we weren't automatically named enemies of the civ, and I believe we left no surviving witnesses. It's a shame really, because I was there waiting for the new ruler so I could depose him and get the lady re-instated. I had faint hope this would bring the alcohol back to the taverns, but I also thought she had been doing a great job in charge. Unfortunately, she was collateral damage.

ViolentBeetle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14458 on: August 28, 2017, 02:15:09 pm »

Technically, it's not going on anymore.

For the first time, probably, I've lost a fort to werebeasts. Usually it ends on its own because they die faster than they bite, but this time I haven't discovered even copper before I reached cavers and was low on coal. In the end I was left with helpless expedition leader and a bitten legendary marksdwarf. That guy seems like he'll go far in life.

UPD: Oh well, wrong topic
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 03:19:50 pm by ViolentBeetle »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14459 on: August 29, 2017, 12:06:33 pm »

well slowly enjoying the corrosion mod but notice the zombies aren't zombinging folks fast so I added on to their infecting bite that converts any they bitten to gain an interaction that release spores into a corpse and fully transforms the corpse into another infected.

which lead to disastrous results of body parts getting a 1 free heal then trying and failing to come back to life when their just a foot.
currently after testing out 3 flying zombie adventurers I go into this mess up world as a human outsider. Which ended up with starting out near a night troll lair, spending about 8 minutes of sparring with them and now playing the game as mr. and mrs eyeless gray warty freaks that club infected with ladles and forks. kinda surprised my adventurer ended up hitting legendary from just bump sparring  when I started  the game with not setting any skill points
so she just a legendary misc. object user and a fighter shame it doesn't help kill the undead any faster and I just gave them a free necromancer to boot.
spending the off time of murdering infected by grinding up their bones to make bone mill and try to turn their body parts into gear before one of those fungal infected walks by the hut and reanimates Everything near the kitchen.

in Non zombie news, I played a mosquitowoman in hopes of building a floating sky fort for fort mode. and ended up punching a hole into the sky.
so now I'm just building a giant floor above the skybox with walk ways and railings that could collapse at any time.

in unlocked advfort cheatery I discovered what happens if you remove the limitations on detailing floors and walls, the floors one will create a standable floating Floor, and the wall one will allow you to detail any tile from air to trees to non wall tiles.
just don't build anything else next to the floating platforms or it will collapse once the game checks if the recent built thing has supports.

which if done in a forest you get smooth chert tiles covering the tops of trees.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 962 963 [964] 965 966 ... 1103