Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 964 965 [966] 967 968 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2015226 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14475 on: September 06, 2017, 07:55:26 pm »

This biome is dotted with tea trees. Bim learns a little about tea processing. The simplest process is for white tea, which he makes to drink at Desertbolts' library. The others (green, black, fermented) he compresses into brick form.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He'll break one of the bricks down into a pile of loose tea leaves (glob, uses 50), and brew 3 units for the mountain climb.

Desertbolts' library is the redundantly named Palace of Strategy. There Bim improves his student skill to adequate and shrinks his traveling book collection from 6 down to 4 (animal foraging, wind, stars, rainfall). They're all copies which is a good deal better than carrying originals, as loss doesn't mean a piece of the world has gone missing.
Each book weighs 2r. That's a good drop in weight, as 4r is 2 units of raw meat, or 4 units of raw offal.

The news of the area has an ettin, a cyclops, and 3 giants rampaging about. Bim left the semimegas alone in the Kingdom of Day as the citizenry were free to take flight if they chose and there were plenty of random melee units to offer defense. This grouping occurs in an area enclosed by mountains, with only the guards from the one fort. Bim adds 4 of the 5 to his new masterwork lychee wood bow, but 3 of the 4 are pure artifice as Bim uses a knife to slash their throats before tagging them with final arrows. Eh.

On the other side of the mountain chain, beyond the cradled valley, is a sequence of dwarven settlements. At hillock Stancedike, Bim learns that the purple monster Os Hexlies the Plague of Thieves created the vault Bladeblockade, 6 quest map tiles north, 1 west.
He's not quite interested in clearing it, as it's not a shoot-friendly environment due to respawns/body material. Also do rangers clear vaults?

A look at world_sites_and_pops.txt shows something of interest:
Code: [Select]
1315: Äïmeiyathi, "Cherishbasins", forest retreat
Owner: The Seducer of Glumness, goblins
Parent Civ: The Musty Dread, goblins
1 dwarf
1 human
1 elf
1 purple monster
Possibly, instead of the likely melee nature of a dark fortress, Bim can run an archer-ranger's game against purple monster Os Hexlies the Plague of Thieves. If he can secure 21-25 distance, then it's a run of the mill pincushioning just like one would a web titan. Could be a fun novelty kill, but will have to think about it. Could also be the sort of thing that is so narratively unsound, it unmoors the whole run.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14476 on: September 07, 2017, 06:26:32 am »

Success on extorting a goblin lord into appointing me hearthie of The Grieving Torment. This didn't make me a civ member of The Wealthy Dungeon, nor change the locals' impression of me, but I did get the option to retire there.  I decided to pass that for now because I didn't want to lose any more time from the rest of the year, and I'd rather not spend the rest of the journey without minecart technology. My route is going to bring me back here anyway, and I'll have completed my lord's hit job on a titan by then.

I changed direction to the southern passage instead, toward a nice little human civ infested with twilight horrors and eyeless monsters, and set up base bordering a string of werelairs, so I could extend my construction into them. Until next full moon I'll give the axegirl a break and enjoy some death-defying minecart stunts. Currently testing a track that launches the cart across 4 region tiles. It had launched so high that collided with the maximum zlvl, but building a short track up there enabled it to smoothly continue on to collide with the ground instead.

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #14477 on: September 07, 2017, 10:30:55 am »

Thanks for all the answers!
I asked one of the survivors of the battle and some People in the village in front of the Castle.
Nobody had talked about an insurrection. Only normal Problems like beasts and bandits.
So i think ist more a civilwar.
I go some time away and let them choose the new Lord(and see later what happened).

The old apple revels in its authority.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #14478 on: September 08, 2017, 03:33:34 am »

I think I've learned the basics and transfer eating drinking moving picking stuff up looking at my inventory, I still don't remember how to bring up the math though, and I'm stuck wandering in the fortress I'm extremely confused about what's going on and on some level I wish I could be this fortress in legends mode.

I say this because despite being a dwarf fortress that my elf is wandering through I've only seen elves and goblins living peacefully in there, any idea how such a thing might have happened?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14479 on: September 08, 2017, 05:34:39 am »

I say this because despite being a dwarf fortress that my elf is wandering through I've only seen elves and goblins living peacefully in there, any idea how such a thing might have happened?
Big dwarven exodus. Megabeast attacked and they said, "Fuck this, I'm not defending this hellhole! The weather sucks, the food sucks, and there isn't even ore in the ground! If the gobs and elves want it, they're welcome to it!"

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #14480 on: September 08, 2017, 12:51:50 pm »

I think I've learned the basics and transfer eating drinking moving picking stuff up looking at my inventory, I still don't remember how to bring up the math though, and I'm stuck wandering in the fortress I'm extremely confused about what's going on and on some level I wish I could be this fortress in legends mode.

Dwarves got defeated by goblins, and they brought baby snatched elves with them. Maybe.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14481 on: September 08, 2017, 01:39:42 pm »

Dwarves got defeated by goblins
How dare you, sir! How dare you!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14482 on: September 08, 2017, 02:20:42 pm »

that or the goblins and elves that move to the site slowly outlived the dwarves and now populate the site.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14483 on: September 09, 2017, 08:04:58 pm »

I managed to achieve what no one thought could be done: a perfect take off and landing.

Falling damage from that height actually isn't as dangerous as it looks, but that may be due to my mass, Agility, Spa/Kin Senses and extremely high Armor Use, which raised further as I tested. I didn't take any injury that I couldn't walk off in fast travel, though my breastplate will never heal and the greaves are completely gone. Forward velocities were much greater, but the one that should have been deadliest, hitting the ceiling at 255k velocity (2.5 tiles/tick,) wasn't.

I'm still trying to figure out how to apply that to diagonal flights, but I suspect the means to do it safely could only be discovered by accident, otherwise someone would have found it by now. But I left that problem for awhile to staff my tavern with the entire performance troupe from a neighboring meadhall and a tavern keeper from the neighboring city. I managed to wedge this camp right into the middle of it all, so the neighbors are very close.
Those filthy profaners are right on my front porch!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14484 on: September 11, 2017, 07:51:31 pm »

Impressive flight, I've got one I did with a minecart across most of an ocean where I skipped and slammed into the coast with nothing but bruises due to my armor.

Ronnoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14485 on: September 11, 2017, 09:17:12 pm »

I was sent by the local lord to slay some bandits in a camp a day's travel away. I went there with my companions Medon Treejokes and Tod. When we arrived two of the four bandits were sleeping, the awake were the necromancer Busla Planepulled and a chubby crossbowman. While my companions chased off the necromancer, I tortured and then strangled the sleeping bandits. I then snuck up behind the corssbowman and attacked him. He survived and ran off, only to be intercepted by one of my companions. We killed him and looted the camp before resting. After our rest we killed the necromancer and headed home.

On our way back to report our victory, we came across a camp of seven goblins. I wasn't sure if they were hostile and tried to reason with them, but they slew me and my companions fled.

I then made another adventurer in the same hamlet; Counselghosts. I recruited an archer companion and set out to avenge my last character. Just before I left the mead hall, Medon ran in and I recruited her. On our way to the goblin camp we came across Tod but I was unable to recruit him. As we traveled we were ambushed by the seven goblins. Together Medon and I (the archer didn't do anything) fought with the goblins, each taking one on and killing them relatively quickly. I made sure to torture the lasher who had dealt the finishing blow to my previous adventurer.

The last goblin had been fairly powerful and had bruised one of Medon's lungs and many of her muscles. I came to help Medon out, but she quickly passed out with over-exertion. It took a while but I finally slew the goblin maceman and we all went back to the hamlet. We spread tales of our adventure to the lord and slept in the mead hall. At dawn we got up and went to the houses of Counselghosts to tell them of our victory. At one point I entered a house and conversed with the townsfolk like normal. Then I realized they were frequently expressing grief at the death of... Medon Treejokes! I rushed outside and sure enough as soon as she left my sight she suffocated. I then retired my adventurer so I can start fresh and avenge the handful of other adventurers who have died recently.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14486 on: September 12, 2017, 12:40:57 pm »

Impressive flight, I've got one I did with a minecart across most of an ocean where I skipped and slammed into the coast with nothing but bruises due to my armor.
Just to clarify; there were no bruises on that one, that really was a perfect landing. A bug at maximum z-lvl caused a 0 density collision which cut vel to 180k but inflicted no damage, and the ramp-to-ramp landing cradle negated falling damage. The final track was just to burn off the remaining 160k velocity, and was still going when I cut it.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14487 on: September 13, 2017, 05:08:56 am »

I managed to achieve what no one thought could be done: a perfect take off and landing.

Oh dear, that's pure gold! XD

Not sure lore-wise what witchcraft applies to minecarts in the game but if dwarves stopped looking down and into the ground to take a time to look upward towards the night sky. They'd sure build a large and powerful minecart dorf launcher and use minecarts as shuttles to the moon in hopes of setting up a new site to colonize and find new things to dig and mine.

Obviously the first tests would be hilarious like slamming into the moon or worse; Launching a minecraft at light speed and pretty much destroying the moon where it "landed" and making a bloody paste out of a poor astrodorf because of sheer speed and increased mass of a minecart or something along those lines...

...minecarts are terrifying. o_o
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 05:22:09 am by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14488 on: September 13, 2017, 05:43:43 am »

This is quite possibly one of the best, most unexpected deaths I've had in a while.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14489 on: September 13, 2017, 06:02:08 am »

Wow, that's one well played metal as heck move by that minotaur beast and it sure has a messed up poetry to it! Was about to recover from laughing at the minecart shenanigans but then read that and now my proverbial stitches need stitches. This is one of the main reasons why I like the game and play it occasionally still, pure comedy when something bizarre happens.

Not much note-worthy going on in my realm of the game other than finding resurrection spell interesting. Resurrected one of the sand trolls I killed by beheading, its limp headless, missing left lower arm and gutless open stomach mutilated body came alive and regenerated the missing parts. Now I have that npc's original head's skull in my inventory, I guess I can gift that back because it ain't my adventurer's skull and yeah, it's as fucked up as it sounds - borderline horrible, heh. Still better than whatever day to day horrors go on in Warhammer 40k universe. xD
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:31:12 am by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky
Pages: 1 ... 964 965 [966] 967 968 ... 1103