Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1995307 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14670 on: November 23, 2017, 10:34:20 pm »

I just started a new adventure in the new version and people started attacking two rangers. Weird.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #14671 on: November 24, 2017, 01:27:34 am »

Whew. This new version is nice.
I generated a world where there's a lot of intelligent wilderness creatures integrated with society including wolf men.
I decided to play a wolf woman with superior strength, agility, toughness(i think) and dumped all my skillpoints into wrestling, making me a grandmaster wrestler. I then decided to adopt the pseudonym "Death" and go around killing people. eventually I lost a hand(still killed the guy who did that) got a damaged sensory nerve(on my remaining hand, damnit) and still kept managing to kill people as an accomplished fighter. Then I decided to retire the character and go play someone less genocidal.
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14672 on: November 24, 2017, 06:11:39 am »

So I played a lion man as of late, named Kasamarin. Traveled throughout the land, claiming sites for myself with the brute force of explosive kicks and disemboweling scratches. In my journey I conquered numerous forests and fortresses. Even took down a forgotten beast locked away in the depths of a goblin pit. But overconfidence got the best of me. I was tracking down an artifact that was in possession of a goblin band, I stalked them for a while and when the opportunity came I sprint-pounced them. Took down six fully armored goblins in a matter of seconds, but they were too many. So I decided to spearhead for the one that had the artifact and make my exit. I charged him full sprint, knocked him down and snapped his spine with a good bite. The artifact was mine, however I was surrounded. In a short burst I got both my legs speared through and somehow ended up in a pond with my hands around a goblin's neck. It was a long struggle but I made it out and crawled to a nearby tavern. Living life as a disabled lion bard.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 06:15:14 am by Dbuhos »

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14673 on: November 24, 2017, 09:12:33 am »

The stuff we do when drunk...

In case you don't know, religious groups have procedurally generated titles for their leaders. In this case, it's the High Bridge.

He managed to score 11 notable kills and 13 other kills before being ambushed and struck down by a dwarf 10 years after his crime.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 09:14:22 am by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #14674 on: November 24, 2017, 02:37:52 pm »

I copied an earlier save to the new version, and found that one of the mead halls had been almost completely redesigned. All the corpses that were there before have remained, but items are scattered about - though the scatter could be from some attack and not "URDR" (Update-Related Dimensional Re-alignment,) as I plan to call this phenomenon.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 02:40:44 pm by Eschar »

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14675 on: November 24, 2017, 02:40:14 pm »

I started a new adventure in the new version.

First mission was to kill a giant I did so, but one of my companions got his upper spine bruised.

Second mission - kill a giantess in a different lair. This one attacked me and my companions with an artifact steel spear. She killed the one with bruised spine (without the spear), so after killing her, I made a figurine out of a random dwarf's bone of the companion fighting her. The spear has only been used to kill 1 thing before, by an elf 200 years ago.

The third mission was to avenge the lady's cousin, by killing the Ettin that killed him. This ettin also attacked with an artifact. An artifact horn!!!
Having slain this Ettin, I returned to the meadhall, returned her cousin's cloak and gloves to the lady and put the horn on a pedestal.

I copied an earlier save to the new version, and found that one of the mead halls had been almost completely redesigned. Interesting.

So far, in the new version, all mead halls I have seen have the same layout with a bunch of pedestals.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #14676 on: November 24, 2017, 02:44:28 pm »

Also, things can get stuck to walls. I think that's new.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14677 on: November 24, 2017, 02:45:08 pm »

I started a new adventure in the new version.

First mission was to kill a giant I did so, but one of my companions got his upper spine bruised.

Second mission - kill a giantess in a different lair. This one attacked me and my companions with an artifact steel spear. She killed the one with bruised spine (without the spear), so after killing her, I made a figurine out of a random dwarf's bone of the companion fighting her. The spear has only been used to kill 1 thing before, by an elf 200 years ago.

The third mission was to avenge the lady's cousin, by killing the Ettin that killed him. This ettin also attacked with an artifact. An artifact horn!!!
Having slain this Ettin, I returned to the meadhall, returned her cousin's cloak and gloves to the lady and put the horn on a pedestal.

I copied an earlier save to the new version, and found that one of the mead halls had been almost completely redesigned. Interesting.

So far, in the new version, all mead halls I have seen have the same layout with a bunch of pedestals.

how do you use pedestals?!?!?! I've seen then everywhere but interacting with artifacts near then or pressing g on them does nothing...what do I do?!
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #14678 on: November 24, 2017, 03:01:49 pm »

I'm standing on a hatch leading to a lair, but I can't go down! It might be because the hatch is on an upward slope. Do you know any way I could get down it?

Also, DF just crashed while my adventurer was praying. I'll have to see if this recurs.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:04:15 pm by Eschar »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14679 on: November 24, 2017, 03:05:32 pm »

Move onto the tiles adjacent to the hatch - then careful-move (alt+arrow keys) onto the hatch until it lets you move below.

On another note, it seems companions are completely borked. Unless the creature is auto-hostile (zombie, megabeast, night creature, etc.) they will NOT join you in combat if you attack something - I would guess its related to the identity issues with creatures bringing up "unknown creatures" attacking each other.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14680 on: November 24, 2017, 04:28:28 pm »

Just got a case of companions AI absolutely not caring , but it was one of the auto-hostile with a night creature and my "companions" absolutely didn't cared (and neither the night creature went after them), odd because on a previous night creature hunting, they helped.

It is as annoying to me as the allies of an AI that does not care at all when you attack one of them :/

But that's not something reserved to the new 44.01/.02 version as i had observed these problems (your companions or allies to your enemy passivity) since the df2014 release unfortunately
The AI reaction really needs improvements.

how do you use pedestals?!?!?! I've seen then everywhere but interacting with artifacts near then or pressing g on them does nothing...what do I do?!

I have not yet met a pedestal with an artifact on it, but from the empty ones i found (every meadhall has lots) pedestals are basically containers, so :
When you want to put an object on a pedestal, move in front of one and press p (the "put an item in a container" function)
When you want to take an object that is on a pedestal, go on the pedestal that has the object and just press g to get the item "contained" in it.

edit : when you need a dentist in Dwarf Fortress you can always count on a night creature

Though that's probably very painful.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 04:35:11 pm by Robsoie »

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14681 on: November 24, 2017, 04:38:06 pm »

The AI in the current version in Adventure Mode is broken, I submitted a bug report on Mantis which Toady has acknowledged though. The main gamebreaking bug is that NPCs have trouble identifying any other entity in combat. They can acknowledge the status of something as dead, but actual combat incidents are only seen as "an unknown creature has attacked an unknown creature" - which means (at least in my experience) that group hostilities are actually impossible right now. Attacking a villager in front of his family resulting in his family reacting as if two unknown entities are in combat. And it also means you can't gain fame. And everyone's opinion on events is also questionable - in the update to .02 they now view me as a participant but do not recognize the victim - unless they are the victim in which case they recognize this but their opinion on the matter is "it was inevitable". So they had it coming, basically.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 04:41:31 pm by gnome »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14682 on: November 24, 2017, 04:48:41 pm »

Hope it gets fixed in time for the next update, cause man, this makes adventure mode really unfun.

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14683 on: November 24, 2017, 04:50:51 pm »

Agreed.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14684 on: November 24, 2017, 05:14:39 pm »

Hopefully Toady will figure out how to fix that soon.

Meanwhile, as i have met a few night creatures wrestlers, i decided to give a try to Kisat Dur them.
(interestingly for this night creatures the companions were active, so no idea then what trigger them into doing what they should and what makes them passive, as it was the 2nd night creature wrestler i fought with them so why did they react differently ? worst bugs to fix are random bugs)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looks like Urist McMachoMan can still go :D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 05:16:59 pm by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 1103