Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 985 986 [987] 988 989 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2021312 times)

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14790 on: December 10, 2017, 06:41:26 am »

I'm playing a non-combat character, going around to write books on nature and be a scientist.
I took swimming as my main skill so I could explore the oceans and hopefully find some octopi, to test out their squirt ink feature.
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

blister_pack

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil biome package of hairy goodies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14791 on: December 10, 2017, 12:43:10 pm »

Demigod human warrior on his quest to bring down demon ruler of enemy goblin civ. On his first attempt he lost all companions and went out barely alive and on a crutch. Later he got cursed by a mummy in a quite stupid way. He left his companions to go and slay a nearby dragon - and he left them on the tomb ground, on top of a pyramid. For kicks. Dragon got backstabbed in the head, Bugi returns for his companions, just to discover they're now inside of the pyramid. Tried to go in and rescue them, I thought if I won't trigger anything and not go near the sarcophagus, it'll be ok. It wasn't. Managed to escape barely alive and chased by remarkably quick zombies while leaning on a crutch again. At least the mummy got decapitated.

Bugi needed meatshields more than ever now, so he went to an old retired fort to hire some axe lords. On his way his old companion, ex scholar steel clad axedwarf and a founding father of said fort lost his arm and leg to giant dingoes. Another companion, a slave of Bugis civ and a law-giver of another, going to the retired fort to see his grandchild, lost both arms to a hydra, he managed to deal the killing blow though. Both cases were similar - the curse kicked in and for some time Bugi wasn't able to do anything. Both companions were saved from blood loss with 'rest-hospitalization' (seems bit less lame then 'travel-hosptalization), the slave law giver just barely.

When we were closing on the target fort after few days of travel, we encounteted a suspicious star mark on the map, heading the same direction as us. It was a huge animal army heading for the retired fort. Later in legends I saw it consisted of 400+ leopards, 100+ giant echidnas, 50+ giant bushtits, some donkeys and few giant parakeets. And absolutely noone else. The army was generated by an elven civ, so it didn't need much imagination stretching to picture it as a some kind of beastmastet raid from the magic woods, but it's third animal-only army I seen in this particular world, one of them generating from human civ. Anyway, Bugi and his crippled companions engaged this army three or four times, but every time it pushed forward, leaving us tangled in mass of crawling jaguars and my companions hacking at some unconcious giant echidna rolled into a ball (so upper body hits only until it bleeds out). the army was quicker in the jungle than us, so it reached its destination, did the battle and ambushed us on  its way back.

The army was still huge, so it spawned somehow erratically. many leopards were airborn along with giant bushtits/parakeets. 20+ z levels aboveground for some of them. The result was hilarious. It was raining cats and dogs leopards and donkeys. They got away though, at least those that could after initial downpour.

It wasn't the end of anomalies. Attempt to tell the story of the battle that just hapened revealed a sad truth - almost all inhabitants of the retired fort were slain (by one giant bushtit), only one yak, children and one squad that was on a patrol at the moment survived. Bugi's companion became the forts hammerer when we warped out of fast travel to enter the fort.

We come in, expecting to see either nothing or a great heap of bodies (the fort was 300+ strong, counting the merchants that stayed there after retirement and children born during 14 years that passed since it was retired). And we saw... everyone was alright. Some npcs weren't responding to anything and you could walk or even jump through them, but others seemed cometely alright, apart from the fact that their death by the giant bushtit was already an established legend, I was even able to tell everyone the tale of their death (no outstanding reaction to that). Even weapons of some of them acknowledged their death in the weapon's kill list.

Nevertheless, Bugi recruited two axe lords, got some books from fort's library, retired the crippled hammerer and slave law giver in the fort and went onwards, with his face half chewed-off by curse-inflicted critical hits from jaguars.

He slew a nearby bronze collosus with the axe-ladies (both females), and recruited a group of 12 or so drunks from the dwarven civ's hillocks. That merry band got medieval on the elven asses, rampaging from forest retreat to forest retreat of the civ that sent the beast army. By the tome we reached the capital (the northernmost settlement of the civ while we were going from the south) all the drunks were either dead (3) or armed with some weapon and with skills allowing them to gain a military profession (apart from my favourite - knivesdwarf, who remained a drunk). All of them had titles by then too.

We rampaged through the capital, sadly neither druid nor any royalty spawned. The beast army spawned instead, allowing Bugi to gain 200+ leopard kills. Hos curse wasn't a big deal vs them - most of their criticals bounced off his armour, he just lost one ear and most of his teeth. But the witch king was nowhere to be seen.

I raided the capital several times, each evening retreating to nearby hills for the dinner and a good night sleep. One time we tell some stories before bedtime, when... a baby pops out.

One of the axe ladies gave birth to a daughter, in the middle of wilderness. Of course she DOESN'T carry her afterwards (though she acknowledges the birth with right emotions hitherto seen by me only in fort mode).

What remained to be done?

We built a camp at the place. The baby now crawls peacefully around the temple area.
She even has some clothes now.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 12:49:24 pm by blister_pack »

shikushiku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14792 on: December 10, 2017, 07:24:01 pm »

My attempts to plunder sites for arcane secrets have not gone well on this adventurer.

First I killed everything in a necromancer tower. I led out all the undead to kill them out of immediate site, and butchered all their corpses as insurance against being fully animated again, before heading in to take out the necromancers. Tedious work, and all my stupid companions got killed, but not that hard over all. Going through all their stupid books I finally found the slab, read it, and...nothing. Look it up apparently I can't get the secrets of life and death because I'm an immortal race, according to the Internet. Strike one.

Then I find a vault, plunder it thoroughly, but I don't get any demony goodness because apparently the demon got killed like a chump in worldgen. Well, at least I got some decent gear, better than all the lame iron stuff. And looking up the other vaults in the XML dump, the other closest one got its demon killed too, just a year before the end of worldgen. Though, if these guys go down so easily, not sure if it'd even be worth it having them around, now that I think about it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #14793 on: December 10, 2017, 11:44:39 pm »

If I understand correctly, worldgen ignores any special abilities like flame, poison lor webs, so demons tend to go down easier.  It also ignores materials, which can make them easier or harder depending on what they are made of.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14794 on: December 11, 2017, 05:22:34 am »

Worldgen only takes into account size as far I'm aware, maybe skill too - doesn't take into account materials the creatures are made out of or any weapons or armor they may carry. Its why blobs of water can potentially have massive killcounts despite easily being killed with a punch from a baby once in actual gameplay.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14795 on: December 13, 2017, 04:16:46 pm »

spent way to long screwing around in fort mode's raiding for any adventure mode discovery with dfhack
outside of switching to and from fort mode is a lot tricky and has a slight chance of crashing the game if you try to access the new world menu in fort mode.
also switching from fort mode to adventure mode once an army is already sent out will show them wandering to their destination and back in the travel menu so the game does simulate that. probably try to find a way to make an player army go from looking for artifacts to "sieging the hell out of a site" in hopes of setting up an adventurer camp with the best defense.

oh I probably should see what would happen if you fill up an playerfort army with different units.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14796 on: December 14, 2017, 02:22:56 am »

Tried a throwing based adventurer again, with a mix of picks and knives, had my ass kicked by a macedwarf with a shield... Thankfully my ally speared him before he could finish me off. Walked into a mead hall to find everyone killing each other... The hell guys?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14797 on: December 14, 2017, 08:09:11 am »

Took out a couple bandit camps. In both cases the bandits immediately attacked each other once the site was loaded. No idea why. The unknown creature bug is a pain in the arse.

I did stumble into a cave that used to be occupied by kobolds. My companion informed me that the kobolds had fled after an attack from a roc in WG. They left loads of traps behind, and my companion ended up being speared to death by one. I found a couple neat rooms; one with a bunch of 3x3 chambers surrounding a big pit with ramps and one with a pit in the middle full of kobold skeletons. Obviously the latter is probably supposed to be a graveyard, and i guess the former is their nesting chamber or something.

There was literally nothing else there besides the traps and skeletons in the pit. Not even old trinkets. Kinda disappointing. Im off to retrieve an artifact wooden spear or something my companion informed me of before he got skewered. Apparently its in a zombie dragons den. This will be !!FUN!!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14798 on: December 14, 2017, 08:33:19 am »

Yeah, I noticed those graveyards too when I did my little expedition to a snobold cave.

They have a lot of corridors, and at some point you may find their living quarters if you can call it that, since they have no furniture or anything, just small rooms. Their non-warriors wander around there. Near it there was a corridor leading to a treasure chamber with random trinkets.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #14799 on: December 14, 2017, 11:42:47 am »

Yeah, I noticed those graveyards too when I did my little expedition to a snobold cave.

They have a lot of corridors, and at some point you may find their living quarters if you can call it that, since they have no furniture or anything, just small rooms. Their non-warriors wander around there. Near it there was a corridor leading to a treasure chamber with random trinkets.
no furniture sounds about right for kobolds, the rooms could be living quarters or just places to hang out and talk to fellow kobolds
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14800 on: December 15, 2017, 09:22:38 am »

I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14801 on: December 15, 2017, 09:37:04 am »

Sigged.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14802 on: December 15, 2017, 01:53:56 pm »

Let this image speak for the insanity of kobolds.

And then I checked that Sunken-eyes kobold Wrestler, and he had no-quarter combat versus me.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14803 on: December 15, 2017, 03:01:21 pm »

Let this image speak for the insanity of kobolds.

And then I checked that Sunken-eyes kobold Wrestler, and he had no-quarter combat versus me.
He does not want to fight you, but he needs to as a guard of this cave. So he pretends to not know you.

Actually, this is related to kobold language deficiency. He can't understand your words.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14804 on: December 19, 2017, 03:27:22 am »

Took a couple companions with me on my quest for the spear of wooden-ness innthe zombie dragons cave. The last leg of the journey was a two-day trip through the frozen tundra in whiteout conditions. At one point i got ambushed by an ice imp, whose freezing breath caused me to start melting ironically. I survived because im a great wizardtm and used the reformation spell tonrestore myself. My companions were unharmed, so we continued on the trek.

When we arrived at the cave, i completely failed to find the cave entrance itself. I did find a few items scattered around, didnt immediately see the spear i came for, and the zombie dragon once i used an aura sense spell to locate it. I decided to quickly save the game, transform myself into a fire demon (the only powerful fire-immune form i had available) and go after it with axe and shield in hand. However, i failed to do any significant damage to it with the axe, and made the mistake of intentionally using my shield to catch a blow, resulting in me getting bathed in dragon fire. My shield and axe melted instantly and i was left trying to punch the dragon. Then it killed both my companions, but also incinerated their equipment. So i tried hitting it with one of their corpses. Didnt get very far before the corpse burned away to ash. She was a good friend.

So then i found the severed hand of the other one and figured why not slap this dragon around with that. Still no success. So then i ran away, and just in time for the transformation spell to run out. I then found the spear i came for sitting on the ground burning. So i turned back into a fire demon and tried hitting the dragon with the burning wooden spear. Still no luck. Eventually i just ran away, but had some fun stabbing raven people with the burning spear and setting them on fire to consol myself. But all my equipment, like my backpack and clothes, had been incinerated. I now had to hunt and kill shit i found in the tundra. I found a porcupine and ate its meat, but couldnt carry its blood without a flask. So i had to stab raven people with the spear to get them to bleed and try to lap up the blood. It didnt work very well, they dont have much blood in them and it usually didnt even pool on the ground, i guess because of the snow.

I made it back to the nearest town and stole a barrel of river spirits from the local tavern, tried unsuccessfully to argue a four year old girl into accepting the worthlessness of law and to join me on my adventures, she wasnt having any of it the wily little bugger guess im not very good at kidnapping kids, but i eventually found three new losers to accompany me to their deaths; a hammerman, maceman, and swordsman. Together we raided a nearby bandit camp and murdered everyone but a single raven woman spearman who managed to fly away before i could clip her wings. Everyone else was human. I found a backpack and some new gear there among the corpses, so now im back on track, and thats all thats happened thus far. Not sure what to do next.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 985 986 [987] 988 989 ... 1104