Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1005 1006 [1007] 1008 1009 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2021181 times)

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #15090 on: April 28, 2018, 10:08:49 pm »

Missions involving sewers and catacombs have ALWAYS been a huge pain. Don't expect that to change any time soon.

That said: You're trying really hard to be sneaky about this. But there are simpler solutions in some cases: Example. >Declare the listener a night creature! Will cause the entire surrounding village to become hostile to the vampire in question, and thusly cause noone to be offended when you promptly murder them. (Or cause them to murder them for you, if you just let the angry mob do your work for you)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15091 on: April 29, 2018, 01:00:21 am »

Sewers are horrible. Especialy if you need air and the target does not. Then they just wait in the permanently flooded area.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Slozgo Luzma

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP Emeg Orglebeamed, the Domination of Castles
    • View Profile
« Reply #15092 on: April 29, 2018, 05:35:31 am »

Haven't played for a few months,  a while ago I stuck a bunch of mod content together (Dark Ages, Adventurecraft, Fear the Night, Genesis, Spellcrafts, and some creatures, plus some of my own things) in the raws and made changes until worlds stopped crashing. I finally got a chance to try it out today after updating everything to 44.09: I created a high savagery world and made a regular human hearthperson adventurer.

Osmol served some lady in the corner of a land bordered on two sides by sea, Mountains to the East and frosty wastes to the north. She commanded him to slay a night creature that was resistant to everything but "burning" which it turns out does not mean that I can literally set it on fire, but instead need to make a weapon out of a material called "burning," which he cannot do. So he grabbed a mercenary named Stena and headed to the ruined capital of the extinct high elves to the south. Striding through the barren streets and beneath the silent crenelations of the city's keep, Osmol stood upon the throne and declared himself lord. Stena replied "I don't know anything about that". Osmol's newfound lordship was short-lived however. As he left the city he heard a sound around the corner. A master vampire! Before he could think, Osmol was bitten on the neck and became a creature of the night. Stena was quickly decapitated as Osmol fled, eventually reaching a mead hall inhabited by a couple of mercenaries. They told him many tales of the lands that lie beyond the long stretch of wild hills to the northwest: the homes of Lizard folk and Dark Elves, beset on all sides by fearsome beasts and set within the evil biome that takes up most of the known world.

Inspired, Osmol declared himself lord of that hamlet and proceeded to several nearby abandoned villages, collecting an assortment of mismatched arms and armor, including a cobalt tower shield and bronze backsword. He then strode out in the wastes, until cackling filled the forest around him. Bogeymen! Osmol had always been warned not to travel alone at night, and now he was afraid that he would learn the reason why in a very painful, visceral way. A hideous winged creature with compound eyes and a trunk swooped down out of the trees, and tried to scratch his face. Osmol swung by reflex, and the creature's face exploded into gore. Another came around the wall of burning grass that Osmol had lit, and he swatted it in the throat, flinging it into the fire. Osmol sprinted due west, and creatures crept out of the trees on all sides, but were slain whenever they got near. Osmol was deep into the wild when the sun finally rose over the eastern sky, and the cackling ceased.

It wasn't until the sun was over the eastern horizon that Osmol finally reached signs of civilization, although this too was abandoned. After declaring himself lord, Osmol wandered over to the next hamlet and met some mercenaries in an abandoned mead hall. Osmol discovered no fewer than 12 such abandoned settlements, each of which he claimed as a fief. Osmol ventured north to investigate the ruined Dark Fortress that lay in that direction, but on the was was blocked by a cave. After much searching he finally found the entrance at the base of tall column of stone. and ventured below. He ventured a short way into the caverns that he found there until he met some reptile people and was attacked by some reptiles. He made a nice scale cloak and then climbed back to the surface. And then he bumped into the Hydra as it was coming home. An epic battle ensued, in which two skulls were caved in by the cobalt shield, and five necks were severed. Osmol suffered a single broken rib and bruised body. To celebrate, Osmol butchered the body and decorated the sword and shield with Hydra fang, and created artifacts worthy of legend. Osmol proceeded to fabricate a variety of crafts from the remains, including a helm, mask, goblet, and totem from four of the skulls, armor from the bones, a crown, amulet, sword and bow from fangs, and a cloak from some of the scales. Osmol hauled the rest of the carcass to his base in Frillhells, near which he had set up a camp and had begun to build a secure hillfort. After putting his things in order (and finding somewhere to put the meat) Osmol set out to conquer the heartland.

This turned out to be straightforward, since most hamlets were abandoned. Osmol recruited 12 saurian mercenaries during the course of his "conquest", who he slowly turned into vampires one by one. While investigating the criminal gang in Demonnightmare, however, the unturned witnessed Osmol as he feasted on the blood of a sleeping criminal. The mutineers were slain or scattered to the wind to tell the tale of the horrific Osmol the master vampire. Osmol had met a friendly Saurian King who possessed an artifact bronze pike among other riches. Osmol was directed to the abandoned slade Dark Fortress to the north, to which he traveled (fighting dire wolves and wendigo along the way). Osmol explored the tower and found a gate to the underworld.

There he fought packs of devilkin, snow tetrapods, ash theropods, glass spiders and flying web spinning sheep. Once the land was safely clear, Osmol built a ramp up to the ceiling (DFHack AdvFort) and mined the tubes of adamantine from below, enough to craft himself a sword. Osmol fought with an eye of damnation and was dying of poison and necrosis, and was blind, so he regenerated as a bat and flew up to the tower, where his companions finally started to catch up to him. Trying to find somewhere to rest, Osmol flew down a deep shaft near an old Goblin/Orc burial site and travelled East until he felt safe. Upon waking up, he realized that he was completely lost. He wandered for two days until he found the body of the slade spire, and from there, a shaft that led upward. During his meandering, he met many strange and exotic creatures, and fought horrific monsters thanks to ZM5's lovely "What Lurks Below". He traveled back to hell to slay a few more beasts and collect more adamantine, claimed a few choice items from the tower's vaults, including a masterwork silver scimitar and a "grown" cobalt rapier which must have been stolen from the fae,then headed back to the King Lames.

Osmol was surprised to find that Lames had acquired an artifact slab, from which Osmol learned the secrets of fate weaving and resurrection. Osmol returned to his stronghold in Frillhells and then raided an occupied site, driving out the lady and claiming the secrets of silencing others and a saurian egg to raise. Osmol then investigated the bone-chilling horror to the north and found it to be a harmless druid with a bunch of dead ritual corpses. Osmol obtained a mortar and pestle on the way back to Frillhells and created the essence of transmutation from the Hydra's heart. Next Osmol plans to travel to a Dwarf Fortress far to the northeast and see if he can use its smelters to refine his adamantine. Perhaps he will also slay the Forgotten Beast that lurks in the halls of its neighbor, opening the way for a reclamation.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #15093 on: April 29, 2018, 08:12:56 am »

Declare the listener a night creature! Will cause the entire surrounding village to become hostile to the vampire in question, and thusly cause noone to be offended when you promptly murder them. (Or cause them to murder them for you, if you just let the angry mob do your work for you)
That's been bugged since reputation became a thing. Nobody cares if they're a vampire but they call you a murderer if you kill the vampire.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15094 on: April 29, 2018, 07:50:17 pm »

Hmmm. Could always just let your companions do it, I guess?

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15095 on: April 30, 2018, 02:28:12 am »

I've barely played adventure mode, but I was between forts so I wanted to see what I could do. So, I created a Walrus Man adventurer (literally just a Walrus with arms as far as I can tell). He wanted to see the natural wonders of the world, which sounded great. I could swim to interesting islands, like the one volcano island off in the eastern ocean, or visit the terrifying glacier that I was planning to start a fort on (since then I have started a fort on the glacier, and it really hasn't been bad at all, honestly quite lovely). I decided to go check out a quest on a land mass off to the west so I could make some money. Quickest way the quest area was across an ocean, but that's fine, I'm amphibious and a decent swimmer. I swam off, sticking near the glacier so I can haul out and melt some snow when I need to drink. Everything's going great, until I walk for a bit on the glacier (might have been frozen oceans) and become incased in ice. According to some posts from 2011, frozen oceans used to be super glitchy, with enormous ice walls appearing and disappearing, and even some kind of vanishing ice fortresses appearing and disappearing. Not sure if this is the same bug, I'll have to investigate it further

Amuil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15096 on: April 30, 2018, 10:34:18 am »

Created a new adventurer to test the more recent versions. The last version I did much with was some time ago, so these changes have made for a bewildering adjustment period. It seems a lot harder to receive and track basic quests now. The conversation system is vast, though I did figure out how to tell people how truthful I liked being so they could be upset about it.

The game puts me in an interesting situation. My current adventurer, a human named Ririli Cayaliquena, appears to be from a human civilisation entirely subsumed by elven forest retreats. Nearly all of the human physical appearance options the game offered me during creation registered as fat or obese, so it's my belief the elves are fattening up human cattle. I elected to play something slimmer, so as not to give them the opportunity.

One of the neighbouring elf civilisations in the world has been at war with the humans for one hundred and twenty two years. It's no wonder humans are a dwindling species in this universe while elves cover the entire southern hemisphere; I think I'm experiencing a steady human genocide attempt.

The world generation has always been my favourite part of this game.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 10:36:48 am by Amuil »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15097 on: April 30, 2018, 02:44:37 pm »

Hmmm. Could always just let your companions do it, I guess?
Light fires under them after boxing them in with campfires, or run them over with a minecart.

Can also dragonfall people to death if you're fast enough and avoid blame if you don't actually do the grab part before the jump.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15098 on: April 30, 2018, 04:53:33 pm »

I've barely played adventure mode, but I was between forts so I wanted to see what I could do. So, I created a Walrus Man adventurer (literally just a Walrus with arms as far as I can tell). He wanted to see the natural wonders of the world, which sounded great. I could swim to interesting islands, like the one volcano island off in the eastern ocean, or visit the terrifying glacier that I was planning to start a fort on (since then I have started a fort on the glacier, and it really hasn't been bad at all, honestly quite lovely). I decided to go check out a quest on a land mass off to the west so I could make some money. Quickest way the quest area was across an ocean, but that's fine, I'm amphibious and a decent swimmer. I swam off, sticking near the glacier so I can haul out and melt some snow when I need to drink. Everything's going great, until I walk for a bit on the glacier (might have been frozen oceans) and become incased in ice. According to some posts from 2011, frozen oceans used to be super glitchy, with enormous ice walls appearing and disappearing, and even some kind of vanishing ice fortresses appearing and disappearing. Not sure if this is the same bug, I'll have to investigate it further

This is why I never cross the ocean. I lost like 3 adventurers in a row that way because I ran out of interesting things to kill on the land mass I started on.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15099 on: April 30, 2018, 05:30:52 pm »

Theyre dangerous as shit no doubt. I recently dodged a river freezing while i was in it by two steps. The herd of hippos wasnt so lucky. Only one fled when it saw me, and then it became overcome by fear or whatever when the river froze, killing its whole family

I decided to do something different last night and played as a minotaur. First go i spawned in a tower and promptly got eaten by zombies. Second, i started in a hillock and nearly got mobbed by dwarves, so i ran into the woods. I went to an elven retreat and they freaked out too, so i just left. That night i got attacked by bogeymen while trying to build a shelter. Being a semi-megabeast is hard it turns out.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 12:40:31 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15100 on: May 01, 2018, 02:03:16 pm »

If you explore fort sites featuring volcano tubes and adjacent glaciers, be careful exiting fast travel, you can wind up right by the ice at the bottom where the glitchy row of heated tiles melt it briefly...

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15101 on: May 01, 2018, 02:12:10 pm »

I started a new adventurer on zm5's modpack. A human outsider, who joined the blood elves.
Unfortunately, on my second mission, which was driving of centaur criminals from catacombs of a city, I lost the use of both my hands.
I still finished the mission, but with nerves torn in both hands. So I decided to become a werebeast, so that I would heal. I toppled a statue and was cursed. When I went to tell the story about the mission, I found out, that I can not tell them about me strangling the centaur leader to death, but can tell them about being cursed with were-{monitor lizard}ery. I obviously did not. I told the farstrider (Ranger captain) that I drove the criminals out and he gave me a vacation. Now I travel the world, waiting for the 25th of Granite, when my hands will be fixed.

Also, those frozen oceans are terrible. Best way to cross the ocean is becoming a swimmer, waiting for summer and then swimming over.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15102 on: May 01, 2018, 03:33:42 pm »

That wont save you either. They can freeze at night in temperate regions, even during summer
Safest places to cross will almost always be hot tropical waters, which rarely if ever freeze. Or, fly, if you can.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15103 on: May 01, 2018, 04:04:20 pm »

Yeah, being a flying creature is pretty much always your safest bet if you want to cross an ocean.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15104 on: May 01, 2018, 06:47:36 pm »

I *was* swimming. The problem is whenever you have to cross an ocean for some reason it's near impossible to avoid coming across a giant iceberg sooner or later. And you can bet if you try to cross it it will suddenly vanish for a single frame while you're standing on it, thereby killing you when it reforms.
Pages: 1 ... 1005 1006 [1007] 1008 1009 ... 1104