Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1060 1061 [1062] 1063 1064 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2021686 times)

Slozgo Luzma

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP Emeg Orglebeamed, the Domination of Castles
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #15915 on: February 08, 2020, 05:48:50 pm »

Loaded up a new world, mountains in the north protecting some elves and dwarves, everyone else are goblin slaves, except for one human Civ, The Fancy Nation. They have a single hamlet and a line of forts guarding their various goblin borders. I started with a party consisting of a human demigod hearthperson swordsman riding a war grizzly bear worshipping the fort god, a human hero clerk with public speaking and persuasion skills (and a copper whip) ardently following the goddess of light, and a "Sarenecenene's Hand" (necromancy experiment on elves, humanoid with puffy black feathers and a horn) armorer and smith who happens to be good with her silver war hammer and her stoneware lute. Also brought some other pets but they got stuck in our starting fort.

Scouted around the fort, which is the most remote out of the three. Got ambushed by lots of goblin/dwarf patrols, but claimed one of our old hamlets and declared the demigod as Lord. The goblin recruits were all armed with books that they had written, and they were harmless, so we persuaded them to yield and give up all their stuff. The soldiers were thoroughly mauled by the bear.

The party ventures west to the ruins of a dwarf fortress, where one of the three great stones of necromancy is said to be kept.

The party claimed another abandoned castle and hillocks, spreading out the titles evenly. They reached the fortress, and it was clear from the watchtowers that the site was occupied by the gobbos. We were not prepared for what lay in wait for us as soon as we stepped through the door. Various goblin traders, artisans, artists, and warriors were fleeing through clouds of smoke while their bodies fed hungry pyres of flame. Camel demons belched fire in the ruins of an ancient dwarven temple, balls-deep in the butchered remains of various goblins the library beat each other to exhaustion wielding books that they had written during the lengths of their lengthy lives. The tavern was home to a spirit of fire that had turned the surrounding stone into lava while a couple of goblins thrashed madly in the liquid death.

The party scuttled away behind a watch tower as flaming goblins fled for the hills, followed by a belch of fire that started a brush fire in front of the gate.

After waiting for the smoke and goblins to clear out, we sneaked around the fire and inside the fortress, sneaking towards the central stair case.

Unnoticed, we descended to the treasure room and hunted for the slab. We found some fine arms and gemstones, in addition to sacred goblin-skull totems, but no slab was to be found. Along the way, we collected dice and earned a week of luck and a polar bear pet before tempting fate- both humans were transformed into blood-sucking creatures of the night. It then became clear that we were looking in the entirely wrong fortress: the one that we wanted was on the other side of the mountain. We sneaked back through the milling groups of brawling goblins until a camel demon noticed us and got stuck in an "identify yourself!" loop. The human demigod took on the identity of a goblin-sounding civilization, which turned out to be at war with them, as the demon then aggro'd. The party booked it and managed to avoid engaging the demon, aided by their vampiric stamina, and the heroic sacrifice of the divine polar bear and a stalwart adopted kitten.

The party took a detour to some hillocks occupied by goblins - we conversed with the administrator, the clerk convinced her that violence is immoral, and then we claimed the site. Unfortunately the bear decided to ignore the yielding administrator and just maul her instead. We rescued some fleeing prisoners who were passing through and happily accepted them into the ranks of our vampiric coven.

The party spied a necromancer's tower in the midst of the cursed lands south of the western mountains, and marched through the blighted canyons until they reached its outskirts. Unsure of the strength of the enemy, the entire company waited at a camp to the south while the demigod ventured in alone. He sensed warm blood inside many of the barrows and pyramids surrounding the tower, and ventured in to investigate. Assorted feathered horse-snakes, meat-clumps, feathered-man-spiders and fog-belching...things peered back at him with disinterest, resuming whatever tasks occupied their idle existences as  slaves to the master of the tower. Inside, the demigod encountered more of the same, in addition to babbling ghoul-children of incredible age, playing make-believe in their own worlds while utterly ignoring the presence of the intruder.

He explored the tower, reading the various books and scrolls that lay around on diverse subjects, many of which contained titillating titles relating to death and resurrection... but no fantastic secrets were found beyond the sad circumstances of the perversion of various childrens' lives and the disturbance of the rests of a myriad deceased persons.

Eventually, he entered a room containing a skink woman necromancer, clearly the mistress of the tower and perpetrator of all these sad abominations. Addressing her, she called him out as an intruder and threatened his life, drawing her knife and then... fleeing.

He pursued her through winding tunnels, up and down stairways, and through galleries filled with leering, apathetic creatures and babbling ghoul children.

She made it outside and to the top if a small pyramid before he managed to lunge and sever one of her feet. She scrambled through the toxic fog of one of her creations, dodging a few blows before one went through her head.

And it was over. The monsters gazed blankly at their mistress' corpse.

The demigod returned to hunt for books in the tower and found none that were of particular use. He claimed the tower.

Rejoining the party, the adventurers finally addressed the prisoners , asked their names and the locations of their families and homes. Several were fellow countrymen while others came from goblin bastions from faraway lands. Breaking camp, the group traveled far, far north through the warped and cursed wilderness before coming across the great expanse of swamps that surrounded the great rivers that divide the center of the world. Here they ventured for leagues without meeting a single soul, before finally they reached the embattled north, where the subjugated forests and hamlets of elves and humans lay surrounded by goblin-infested pits and fortresses. Further north still, they finally reached the tiny patch of corruption where lay the abandoned tower of the world's greatest necromancer, a parakeet man of particularly perverse tastes, and the party hammerer's creator. Nothing of value besides four old books were found inside.

The party finally ventured south along the mountain's shadow, claiming several razed and abandoned castles that lay amid the fens which goblins had long forgotten about. Eventually, they reached the fortress where the secrets of life and death were said to be kept.

A sight similar to before awaited them. The entire company descended the central staircase while stealthily stepping past goblins. And hurrying along when the demons asked for their papers. They eventually found the gabbro slab on which the slab was enscribed, and the two humans drank deep of the immortal writings. The night creature, it turns out, was not privy to these secrets, being already immortal and imbued with a necromancer's power.

All this while, the party, companions, and pets had ignored a camel demon's repeated requests for identification, and a lot of things happened at once. The demigod and the other two ended up separated, with the clerk and hammerer stuck behind a door with a spirit of fire standing in pools of melted zinc furniture. The companions and bear's zombies were being repeately pulped by the camel demon while being resurrected and dueling with various goblins. The demigod was in the middle of an insurrection between three goblin factions. The end result was that the three adventurers managed to get around the two demons, fight their way through several goblin factions in addition to the two groups of resurrected corpses which were hostile to each other and all living things... it was very tortuous, and bodies kept flying down the staircases and knocking everyone else back down. The final hurdle came while fighting a group of goblins at the very top of the stairs and escaping through the door, past all of the angry demons, goblins, and zombies.

The party fled far, far away, minus a few limbs and other body parts, in addition to most of their possessions, which melted or caught fire.

The prisoner rescue missions were written off...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15916 on: February 09, 2020, 02:17:44 pm »

My adventurer was encased in ice while swimming. Sounds like i've just moved from a temperate tile to a colder tile and the whole river instantly froze.

Suffice to say, that may be !!FUN!! but not fun in the first sense.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15917 on: February 10, 2020, 06:57:39 pm »

Had a fun romp as an outsider with my giant cheetah mount. Ate many birds, snuck into a bandit fort and assassinated their master. (nobody wants to call me a protector of the weak though)

Then I figured I'd sneak into a tower and steal the secrets. So I got into a fight with a dozen or so zombies and eventually smacked them all to death. Walk into the tower and

Convex-nose bridge human cheese maker lost butcher: Identify yourself!
You: Greetings.  My name is Strolu Fatebound.
The convex-nose bridge human cheese maker lost butcher draws the iron boning knife with her Left hand.
The convex-nose bridge human cheese maker lost butcher clenches a fist!
You feel frozen!
You fall over.
You are completely paralyzed!
The convex-nose bridge human cheese maker lost butcher stabs you in the head with her iron boning knife, tearing the muscle, chipping the skull and bruising the brain through the x+llama wool hood+x!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
You have been stunned!
You have been struck down.
The convex-nose bridge human cheese maker lost butcher straps the iron boning knife to her Upper body.

So yeah, one of their powers could be to instantly paralyze you. No talking next time.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #15918 on: February 10, 2020, 11:42:21 pm »

Had a fun romp as an outsider with my giant cheetah mount. Ate many birds, snuck into a bandit fort and assassinated their master. (nobody wants to call me a protector of the weak though)

Then I figured I'd sneak into a tower and steal the secrets. So I got into a fight with a dozen or so zombies and eventually smacked them all to death. Walk into the tower and

Convex-nose bridge human cheese maker lost butcher: Identify yourself!
You: Greetings.  My name is Strolu Fatebound.
The convex-nose bridge human cheese maker lost butcher draws the iron boning knife with her Left hand.
The convex-nose bridge human cheese maker lost butcher clenches a fist!
You feel frozen!
You fall over.
You are completely paralyzed!
The convex-nose bridge human cheese maker lost butcher stabs you in the head with her iron boning knife, tearing the muscle, chipping the skull and bruising the brain through the x+llama wool hood+x!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
You have been stunned!
You have been struck down.
The convex-nose bridge human cheese maker lost butcher straps the iron boning knife to her Upper body.

So yeah, one of their powers could be to instantly paralyze you. No talking next time.

Cooooooool.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #15919 on: February 11, 2020, 02:28:23 pm »

So I made  new guy and went out and murdered a bandit camp, then I went to a elf hamet to report my kills but everyone was all "it was inevitable" so i murdered everyone

And then I decided i should go brag about my elf genocide so I told some dwarf about it

And then he replied"It was inevitable"

A few moments later my inventory recieved a stack of dwarf meat

sometimes they will say "itw as inevitable" but then when you ask them about yourself afterwards they will praise you for protecting the defenseless so dont assume "it was inevitable" just means they dont care, its just a fall back reaction in case he has no utterances for it.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #15920 on: February 11, 2020, 02:51:07 pm »

In fact, they have a separate utterance for if they don't care, namely 'I don't care one way or the other'.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15921 on: February 11, 2020, 08:14:36 pm »

from what I remember checking it. when they say that it's mostly mean they have no history on the mess or the folks that died or knowledge of the creature type.
you kinda have to teach them who and what you murdered. it's a process that some historical figures would probably know a bit more vs the few that don't.
if say a historical figure can't give you directions to the event they told you then they legit have no clue and not worth messing with them unless you want to retell the rumor back to them to ingrain it into their digital noggins

but yeah the folks you brag about probably were inhabitants that just got their historical figures.

also when you ask about yourself to them, after greeting them you end up adding your character historical data to their memory letting them remember who or what you did or are.

the way npcs react to violent attack events requires them to know the person, or know the victim and if they have any emotional relationship towards those two.
npcs would probably react to events of disasters and folks raiding sites if they know the site which given once they have a historical figure they tend to check the site they are living in and the locals related to it and the civ before forming an opinion.

so with that, those elves probably didn't know there was a bandit camp thus they didn't know who the bandits you murdered or probably care since the elves now recently gain historical figure having minds didn't learn about the chaos those bandits committed.

but like untrustedlife said the game does track if you murder good just on a personal level you did do a murder, and a killing. it just that with way the npcs are currently wired in dialog they need to learn of the folks you killed first before knowing the person you killed is dead.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15922 on: February 12, 2020, 03:12:44 pm »

Lucky lucky me!

Edit: Not so lucky me. Slew a bandit, raised it as a "bleak corpse"... quickly realized that raising a creature that was hostile to you as an intelligent undead doesn't break the hostility. Seeing as I was playing an unarmed peasant at the time, the ensuing abomination soon punched me into the ground.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 03:39:46 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15923 on: February 12, 2020, 06:21:29 pm »

Lucky lucky me!

Edit: Not so lucky me. Slew a bandit, raised it as a "bleak corpse"... quickly realized that raising a creature that was hostile to you as an intelligent undead doesn't break the hostility. Seeing as I was playing an unarmed peasant at the time, the ensuing abomination soon punched me into the ground.  ::)
oh I see you also got hit with the necromancer's first use of resurrection.

yeah that spell is pretty much best used for baptizing other adventurers and saving companions or peers you like from death.
or reeking havoc by resurrecting someone who got killed to attack their killer.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15924 on: February 13, 2020, 03:13:19 am »

Got a world that was totally conquered by necromancers, so I had to check it out.

I created a wizard and went searching around, and just went straight for the tower at the heart of it all. I got in just fine, found a bunch of slabs with several different secrets. In the meantime, there had been some corrupted corpses going on a rampage because of necromancers not identifying themselves. Then instead of leaving like I should have, I decided to check out one more room, and ended up getting tossed around the room and attacked with weapons by said corrupt corpses. There were no corrupt corpses in the room. But somehow they were stabbing and chopping me with invisible weapons I couldnt block or dodge even though they were primarily glancing away. Eventually I realized my only option, because I was unable to act due to being tossed around like a pinball and failed attempts to actually hurt me, was to retire. Unretiring crashes the game, and presumably so would walking in with another adventurer. Not sure what else I can do in this world.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15925 on: February 13, 2020, 05:30:04 am »

In a necro tower, I also had trouble with invisible creatures flinging me and grappling me. I could not even try to break their grip, as I could not target them to do so.

Edit: But in my case, they managed to kill me by destroying my head through skidding along the ground.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 05:31:57 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15926 on: February 13, 2020, 07:28:58 am »

Yeah basically figured from dismounting an sneaking mount that folks in adventure mode now sneak around like they do in fort mode when they lie in wait for an ambush.
which uhh probably going to lead to a lot of deaths until someone figures out the right skill to bypass this.

Finally hitting the point where I probably should explore the world I'm constantly generating so here's Kamca an Elf experiment that resulted in a half bogeyman goblin hybrid that set off to explore the world and write a bunch of written works on it.

though honestly hoping this set up lead into a fun story.
"body swapping and YOU!"

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15927 on: February 13, 2020, 05:17:15 pm »

I'm currently running a world in which a tomb is just two tiles away from a volcano (as soon as I saw this I had to do this...)
My freshly generated peasant visited said tomb (after visiting a dwarven fortress and picking up a pick), spent a day clearing the dead corpses into a hole he had dug outside the building (you have to love DFhack and adv fort), searched the treasure room for some books a holy something something in a nearby town wants to be retrieved and finally met the mummy on the way out. Taking my running shoes I began my travel to the precious volcano and my new friend followed me eagerly, not as fast as myself but waiting patiently until he almost could reach me did the trick - I seemed to be a delicious carrot to this donkey.

Some time later we happily reached the volcano, I danced around the stinking carcass, who once was a mayor of a flee-ridden hamlet which was destroyed nearly a century ago, and jump-kicked him into the huge hole full of magma. Mummy as he was/is, the magma didn't bother him too much (besides the melting of everything which could be melted) and he eagerly tried to climb out of the crater. I gave him kudos for his tries, gathered some small rocks and began to train my throwing skill.

After crushing all his limbs (it did take a while in which he managed to climb five tiles upwards - I applauded him for this by flattering him and telling him a story about how he attacked me nearly half a day ago - petting the ego of a mummy is important) he stopped trying to climb. Now he is just laying in his hot bath while I bid him farewell and took off. After all, a holy something something is awaiting some books and librarians can become really mad if pending books are overdue for a long time.

If he won't thank me in a fashion I prefer, I will take a stroll with him.
I know a nice little place where he can meet a mayor...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 05:23:09 pm by SaD-82 »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15928 on: February 13, 2020, 07:42:10 pm »

Started my first adventure mode in 47.02.  Made a small world, 125 years, seemed to be interesting with all the races still surviving.  So, of course, I made Joxer.   Now, so far Joxer is alive, but he somehow started as a human in a Elf civilization.  I hate wooden weapons.  Maybe I wasn't paying attention when I picked WHERE I was starting.  Also, the landscape in the southern region of the world, where I started out, seems to be mostly snow covered forests with massive dark pits in between, ruined towns full of experiments (who seem friendly), and one abandoned Dwarf Fortress that I happened to find - it had three shrine set up between the surface and the main quarters of the Fortress.  I got to roll twice - one shrine had no die.  All were of different deities.  Otherwise there seems to be Elf Retreats here and there.  I need to find some Human towns - I have some items I could trade for a real weapon.  If I head towards the eastern coast I am sure there are a few Human settlements there.  Luckily I started out with some apples, killed a fat albatross for some meat, and took some cheese I found on the floor in the Fortress.  Nobody was there but I was told by the game that I had failed to pay for them.  Or maybe the game meant the goblet I had picked up in the tavern.  Sadly the barrels were empty!

Oh, and I have a War Grizzly Bear mount. 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15929 on: February 14, 2020, 10:11:53 am »

Got indirectly killed by one of those necromancer experiments. They didn't seem to take a lot of damage and they just cut a foot and an arm off my adventurer.

Well I escaped (by crawling, being faster than those undead even without a foot. They seem quite slow, if powerful too) and tried to retire, and then I got ganged up by dingoes, and while I killed or crippled half of the pack, they got me with exhaustion and once I was unconscious, well, that was over.

Should probably have kited it with rocks, but IDK if rocks would even do much. I didn't train Throwing/Archer a lot on that particular adventurer.
Pages: 1 ... 1060 1061 [1062] 1063 1064 ... 1104