Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1065 1066 [1067] 1068 1069 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1995010 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #15990 on: March 09, 2020, 04:06:00 am »

Tomb is a site type. Don't think they actually get built inside other types (could be wrong). Did Legends actually say The Vile Tombs was a tomb? Sounds more like a catacomb or a dungeon.

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15991 on: March 09, 2020, 11:19:24 am »

Tomb is both a Site type and a Structure type. In this case, there are actually 5 different Tomb Structures within this Dark Fortress Site. None of which I've been able to find so far.

According to the DF Wiki, Tomb Sites are those pyramid things you can find above ground, whereas Tomb Structures are usually found in human towns. Or rather, underneath human towns, connected to catacombs which themselves are "accessible by traversing below temples". I've never done a lot of dinkin' around underneath human towns, so I'm still figuring out the best way to go about searching.

It's unfortunate that they'll be underground, because I stumbled across a glitch/exploit that allows me to Travel within the dark fortress, which really sped up the surface sweep to search for structures. I actually found the temple, but there weren't any stairs or passages leading to underground catacombs that I could see. There was however, a horde of goblins walking down a winding, narrow path leading down to an artificial pool. I took the opportunity to jump into the crowds, causing them to dodge to the side and fall into the water. Unfortunately, that makes it harder to accurately gauge my impact on the local population, since drowning deaths won't be attributed to my adventurer.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #15992 on: March 09, 2020, 01:40:45 pm »

IIRC a lot of the stuff in dark pits/fortresses is abstracted and doesn't actually appear in gameplay - i.e legends will say a tavern got built in a dark pit/fortress site but you wont actually find any of those. Could be the case that the tombs are abstracted too (or maybe the "tombs" are those circular rooms with corpses and holes leading to the underground).

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15993 on: March 09, 2020, 11:46:47 pm »

Maybe... The thing is, I know for a fact that the temples and taverns in this dark fortress aren't abstracted; I've been in them. My adventurer even learned a couple new songs by watching performances in one of them. So I feel like the other structures should be there. It's just a matter of figuring out how and where they fit in among the other set pieces.

This whole thing might be a moot point now anyway. I found an artifact silver flail while searching the site's main tower, and based on my experiences wielding a normal iron greataxe against the local goblins, I suspect that even an artifact iron axe will be regularly stopped by mere silk and leather clothing. Though I am curious to see how it would fare against large-scale, fleshy targets. Megabeasts and such. And I do still want that artifact breastplate...

Hmm... what to do...

I might hit up some monasteries and do some divination. For once, the cryptic messages might actually come in handy.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15994 on: March 10, 2020, 08:05:27 am »

Hmm, yeah, you're right, tombs are structures too.

Oh, and I've just found a tomb which was constructed inside a tomb.  :o

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15995 on: March 10, 2020, 09:33:54 am »

Hmm, yeah, you're right, tombs are structures too.

Oh, and I've just found a tomb which was constructed inside a tomb.  :o
tombceotion, the tomb of tombs

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #15996 on: March 10, 2020, 02:54:07 pm »

Let me introduce to you all Katslet Oilflames the Dimpled Talon of Man, necromancer necromancer necromancer necromancer necromancer necromancer necromancer death corpse.

Yeah, that's seven different brands of necromancy, and a suffocating interaction he got from becoming a death corpse. He originally started his adventure with his brother Zulur Oilflames, but during a desperate fight with a horde of zombies, they choked each other to death and brought each other back as revenants. After that, though, they went their separate ways. (I couldn't swap back to Zulur and they were stuck at No Quarter.) Katslet eventually took down several necromancer towers, but they weren't without cost.

Katslet's armor was reduced to scrap metal during a battle with one tower of fellow revenants, except for his steel helm and chain mail, which saved his life many times. He took many wounds that would have spelled death for a mortal, but were mere flesh wounds for a mighty undead. He lost his foot in a battle against another legendary axelord revenant who carried not one, but two slabs of necromancy, in addition to a host of other treasures.

Katslet claimed many treasures from his enemies, but he couldn't keep them all. Despite his strength, he only kept what he could wear - mostly jewelry and assorted armor, storing the rest away in keeps and temples. His most prized possessions were his bismuth bronze battle axe and steel shield, both artifacts claimed from the commander of a horde of undead that had conquered half the world.

But now, battered and beaten, Katslet missed the simple things. Life had not carried the same spice since he had died. Having learned every kind of magic he could, and with no husking dust anywhere in the world, Katslet decided to retire.

Perhaps someone else might be able to take up the mantle of the Ultimate Undead...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 02:56:30 pm by TheFlame52 »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15997 on: March 10, 2020, 03:38:38 pm »

Heh, the knife in his head is a nice touch. I approve.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15998 on: March 10, 2020, 04:20:15 pm »

I love leaving weapons in me. That knife got stuck in my head by a zombie just after I got brought back from the dead, and I had a spear in my foot from the battle with the commander necromancer before I lost that foot to the axelord.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15999 on: March 10, 2020, 04:45:50 pm »

I love leaving weapons in me. That knife got stuck in my head by a zombie just after I got brought back from the dead, and I had a spear in my foot from the battle with the commander necromancer before I lost that foot to the axelord.
not to mention keeping them in prevents bleeding, though being an undead you wouldn’t need to worry about that anyways

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16000 on: March 11, 2020, 04:38:26 pm »

Let me introduce to you all Katslet Oilflames the Dimpled Talon of Man, necromancer necromancer necromancer necromancer necromancer necromancer necromancer death corpse.

Reminds me of my vampire necromancer corrupted thrall peregrine falcon woman adventurer from before the villains update. Sounds like a blast!

As for my current adventurer, I just wrestled a werefox into submission and am subjecting it to the most unspeakable torment I could think of: performing godawful, tone deaf, a capella renditions of goblin folk tunes while it struggles in vain to break my grip on its foot. I also smashed out all its teeth and picked up a handful of them. I'm curious to see if using them as an improvised weapon can spread the curse independent of the werebeast itself. My guess is probably not, but it's worth testing.

Regarding my search for the tombs beneath a goblin dark fortress, I took a break from that to go explore the catacombs and tombs beneath a human town. The catacombs were accessible via the temple as expected. However, I noticed that the temples in the human town didn't use the same set pieces as the temples you find in monasteries and such. They were longer and thinner and, more importantly, had doors leading directly to the catacombs. The temple back at the dark fortress used the same set piece layout as monasteries, which doesn't include doors connecting to underground areas. It's possible that the catacombs are present in the dark fortress, but they're inaccessible because the site generated an incompatible temple layout. I'll have to head back and have another look.

Once I'm done messing with the werefox, of course.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16001 on: March 11, 2020, 07:57:35 pm »

What species are you that a werebeast can't break your grip on it? Or are werefoxes really that weak?

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16002 on: March 11, 2020, 08:13:37 pm »

What species are you that a werebeast can't break your grip on it? Or are werefoxes really that weak?

I'm a Fist of Poetleaf, a dwarf-sized necromancer experiment. I've also trained up all my physical stats to superhuman (or rather, superfist of Poetleaf) levels. Now, I can't be sure about this since I have no idea how to check size values on werebeasts, but I'm guessing that a werefox must be relatively small. iirc stature has a bigger impact on wrestling success than strength.

Funnily enough, by the time I got bored and let it go, the thing had trained itself up to an elite wrestler just from trying to wriggle out of my grasp.

Also, I noticed that one of its legs was rotted, so I think I finally know what my stinger venom does!

Edit: It looks like blinded creatures might auto-fail wrestling rolls, or at least take severe penalties, so the fact that I stung out both of its eyes might have been the deciding factor.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 09:24:39 am by Vicious_Unicycle »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16003 on: March 15, 2020, 05:29:06 am »

A new adventurer, first in a while. Now, let's see how does this go? Ah, yes:

-Greetings hearthguy (one-eyed humanoid thing, like me), what troubles?
- Armies, bandits, criminals, skulking filth, bone chilling horror, beasts and brewing trouble with the neighbours.
- Er...Ok. Missing treasure?
- Dolomite figurine, no idea where it is.
- Will keep that in mind. How about the beasts?
- Savemile is in the haunted hill. Seek this place if you hunt Bushik Planesjudges the Asuiiihibari's Fist Prisoner.

Prisoner? That's a first. Prisoner of whom I wonder? I bet he's not even in his lair any more.  ::)

I sense a great story emerging from the chaos. If only I were disciplined enough to keep notes. Ah well, I won't survive long enough to worry about it anyway, probably.  :)

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16004 on: March 15, 2020, 08:29:38 am »

I've been messing around with the reputation system lately. Mostly I just go around to large crowds of people and start telling the story of the time I killed a giant or, more recently, the time I killed a bronze colossus (did you know stingers can dent bronze, even sever colossus limbs if you rack up enough hits? I didn't. Love this adventurer!), occasionally mixed in with some bandit slaying. This method has gotten me listed in many groups as simultaneously a "legendary hero" and a "feared killer".

At one point, I encountered an elf bard on the road. I decided to test whether bards can spread your reputation, so I brought up the incident with the bronze colossus. Out of curiosity, I asked the bard's opinion of me. But instead of saying "You are brave. You are also a killer" like other people who've listened to me performing the story, he said "You are brave. You are also a legendary hunter."

The next time I checked my reputation, I noticed that a bunch of groups now considered me a "legendary hero" and a "legendary hunter", with many of them not considering me a killer at all.

So, it looks like traveling bards might be an effective way to spread your reputation.
Pages: 1 ... 1065 1066 [1067] 1068 1069 ... 1103