Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1067 1068 [1069] 1070 1071 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1994991 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #16020 on: April 01, 2020, 02:21:30 pm »

How big are demons anyway? This thing hits like a freight train! When it isn't slapping folks with a gold bracelet, of course. The force from its punches are enough to send limbs sailing off in an arc!

Demons are 10000000 cubic centimeters, which is about twice the size of an elephant.

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16021 on: April 02, 2020, 10:25:41 pm »

So after losing 6 hours of work [cumulative] to a couple crashes [I now save more often] I decided to retire my poor, overburdened [they're smaller than when I last played, or rather, size makes more difference now] Brown Recluse Woman Axeman in some random fort [that was apparently under attack or something because I was holding move and punched a goblin in the nose] I decided to go back to basics and made a dwarf. Only this time I decided I wanted to be a dwarf with the universal lightsaber, a pick.

I should mention my world has a lot of friendly goblins in this world for some reason, we'll get to that. I started in an entire fort filled with friendly goblin and human monks with this next character.

In comes Logem Athelezar the muscular Dwarf MASTER Miner with his Steel Pick "Mikstal As" The Ownership of Caves! I don't remember how to check the translation of his name, sorry.

So after stuffing myself under as much bronze [and free steel] armor as I could, I grabbed a companion, left the fort that was overflowing with monks, and decided to head off to a necromancer tower for some training.

Along the way I, of course, practiced crutch walking, swimming, wrestling birds and small fish, and never left sneaking mode. It's amazing how much you can get done with some travel.

After arriving there I encountered some incredibly friendly Intelligent Undead or Night Fists or something [in this world, they're small birds with antennae] made by some necromancers. They all attacked the Failures and some horse sized ocotpod that the necromancer apparently shat out as soon as I approached. I found a couple of them in the fort that were friendly, but this was unexpected. After fighting Agavuz's Creature [horse sized octopus  with hooves] I had a nice chat with them, stole their stuff, and carried on. The night creatures at this Necro tower constantly spewed "Boiling Extract" that didn't really do anything [yet] but it was spooky so I went to the other necro tower across the street. My world has a LOT of necromancers for some reason.

There, I encountered wandering hordes of zombified Night Fists! They didn't stand a chance against me, but my companion, who refused to wield the silver mace I gave her after her weapon got knocked out of her hand one time, didn't fare so well. She got pretty mangled but kept fighting for a long time, and recovered at least once. However, fighting zombies with Horns on the ground with nothing but your bare hands and some copper armor doesn't end well.

After her untimely death, I decided it was time to really put Multi-Attack to good use [Thank you "Empty Fist" tutorial guide] and drew my greatest treasure that I found in one of the necro towers [that were full of grubs and fat snake Experiments that were very friendly] a *steel Pick* that I named "Bengencatten" ScarletChannels!

And in one move I basically decapitated two zombies with a steel pick. I know, it's not much, but it makes me feel amazing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, are necromancers supposed to be friendly? None of them care that I'm there and give me news and instructions. The zombies are still hostile though
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 12:17:11 am by Shalderave »
When the adventurer is told there is no more need for them, when there are no more targets to kill, why do they act surprised when our "hero" turns towards them and says "No"?

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16022 on: April 03, 2020, 02:34:27 pm »

Demons are 10000000 cubic centimeters, which is about twice the size of an elephant.

Yeah, that'd do it. You know, I was looking at this demon's description (a muscular, yet fat and bloated, humanoid lizard with downy yellow feathers), and now I can't stop picturing him as a combination of King K. Rool and Big Bird. Makes for a surreal mental image when he's rending people limb from limb.

So, are necromancers supposed to be friendly? None of them care that I'm there and give me news and instructions. The zombies are still hostile though

Yeah pretty much. Necromancers aren't mindless monsters like werebeasts or indiscriminate killers like night trolls. They're just regular folks, only with macabre powers, lofty ambitions, and a willingness to do horrible, horrible things.

Unrelated, my second adventurer somehow lost a foot while I was busy controlling the other half of the party. A healing effect from divination dice caused her foot to regrow... but not her ankle. She's somehow missing her ankle but not her foot. I guess it's just sort of... floating there?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16023 on: April 03, 2020, 05:23:28 pm »

Unrelated, my second adventurer somehow lost a foot while I was busy controlling the other half of the party. A healing effect from divination dice caused her foot to regrow... but not her ankle. She's somehow missing her ankle but not her foot. I guess it's just sort of... floating there?

I'm imagining them spotting an enemy a couple feet away and being like

Telekinetic foot slap! *thwack*
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Morning_Oak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16024 on: April 07, 2020, 06:31:07 am »

Finally playing the new update thanks to the starter pack (thanks Peridexiserrant!). I'm also using the Adventurecraft mod along with a couple of small mods of my own. I started a hammerdwarf and started exploring the area around my starting hillocks. Found a few lions, my war dog & I made short work of them. I was able to get some bone staves carved up & some thread/leather for later use and carried on. I soon found an abandoned necromancer tower surrounded by strange zigguaruat-like structures. In each of the structures I found some books, varous bits of human armor, a few weapons & ammo stacks, and several large gemstones. One of my modded additions to the game are called Shard Hammers, essentially a warhammer made of large gems instead of metal and a stave (from the adventurecraft mod). I crafted myself a black zircon shard hammer and decided my dwarf was going to be dualweilding hammers from here on out, so I ditched my shield (bad idea). After quickly reading the books I picked up, I unintentionally learned the secrets of life & death, which should make things interesting later on. As soon as I left the strange tower, I noticed there was something running around just to the North East. I quickly chased it down and saw it was a Starved Horror returning to its layer. As soon as I discovered what I was tracking, it sprung and attacked, dodging almost every hit I attempted. Things took an even worse turn when I took a swing with my shard hammer and the bastard CAUGHT the hammer and yanked it out of my hands. Now I was desperately defending against my own weapon with only a silver warhammer, all while trying to avoid his deadly claws. After about 10 minutes of combat I was able to get a solid shot at his head and put the monster down. I reclaimed my tower and hurried over to the nearest town to recover.

Love this game.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16025 on: April 10, 2020, 03:22:47 am »

A weird adventure, this one.

Onmo Shebigite is a newly minted hearthperson. Equipped in a suit of iron, with a bow, shield and a halberd, he asked his lord for assignments.

His lord told him, to slay an ettin, who supposedly was at a dwarven fortress.
After hunting for food, Onmo arrived at the fortress, but asking locals about the ettin revealed that he was at hillocks on the other side of the mountains.

Onmo crossed the mountains and arrived at the hillocks. There, he saw the ettin, in priestly clothing, being beaten down by dwarves. Onmo shot a few arrows into the ettin, but the dwarves were the ones who should be credited with the kill.

Ettin dead, Onmo returned to his lord to report on it. His lord commended his loyalty and told him to hunt another ettin at another fortress. Onmo went to the fortress. On his way, he stopped at the first fortress to confirm the ettin's location. Sure enough, the ettin was at the target fortress.

Onmo then arrived at the with ettin and found it deserted, with trading post and it's items untouched, but no dwarves. Onmo will now have to delve deep into a dwarven fortress to find and slay an ettin that has taken residence there. But seeing the untended pile of weapons in the trading post, he at least armed himself with more weapons.

Update:
Onmo has thoroughly searched the fortress. It took him a day. Yet he found no creatures, be they living or dead. When he was leaving he met an axedwarf outside though. Later he asked about the ettin again in a hillock, and they told him it's in the fortress he just explored.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 04:27:49 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #16026 on: April 10, 2020, 01:47:15 pm »

Hey, I know you can become multiple types of necromancer, but if you do, can you turn someone into multiple types of zombie, thus making it stronger each time?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16027 on: April 10, 2020, 03:54:59 pm »

Hey, I know you can become multiple types of necromancer, but if you do, can you turn someone into multiple types of zombie, thus making it stronger each time?
hmmmmmmm
If you mean as sentient undead, it's very hard to kill one and leave a body that can be raised as a sentient undead a second time. If you mean as an ordinary zombie, I think this requires some science. I'm not sure whether animation interactions get cleared when the creature dies. I suspect they don't, and you can kill a zombie hand or something six times and raise it different ways until it becomes unstoppable.

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16028 on: April 10, 2020, 10:40:00 pm »

hmmmmmmm
If you mean as sentient undead, it's very hard to kill one and leave a body that can be raised as a sentient undead a second time. If you mean as an ordinary zombie, I think this requires some science. I'm not sure whether animation interactions get cleared when the creature dies. I suspect they don't, and you can kill a zombie hand or something six times and raise it different ways until it becomes unstoppable.

Ice. I did a lot of thinking to figure out the best way to kill and raise my adventurer multiple times, and what I settled on is that getting encased in ice kills you no matter what, yet doesn't damage the body. It's kind of a pain in the butt, but it works. You do have to pick up the body and take it somewhere else first though. For some reason, the game doesn't like reanimating a freshly-thawed corpse.

Based on my own experience, you definitely can become multiple types of sentient undead simultaneously. You retain all your previous powers when resurrected a second time. I don't know how to check the numbers to confirm this, but based on the fact that after the second reanimation, my heavy kicks were able to send goblins and elves flying several tiles (punches too, albeit far less consistently), I suspect the strength bonuses stack.

Unfortunately, it might be a bit buggy. My adventurer just sort of vanished while I was using tactics mode. The tile where he was standing still causes people to lie down when they enter it, but I can't switch to control him or interact in any way. The game still thinks I have a 2-character party, but the first slot is empty.

As for reanimating NPCs, decapitated corpses can be killed by a stiff breeze. So if you're sticking to dumb undead, that's pretty easy. Granted, it may not be worth it if you want something tough. It gets trickier with intelligent undead. They can't talk, so getting them to follow you requires some finagling. And you have to make sure they're not hostile to you when they die, or they'll remain hostile upon reanimation. And, again, since they can't talk, you can't ask for a cease to hostilities.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16029 on: April 11, 2020, 12:48:53 am »

My adventurer just sort of vanished while I was using tactics mode. The tile where he was standing still causes people to lie down when they enter it, but I can't switch to control him or interact in any way. The game still thinks I have a 2-character party, but the first slot is empty.

interesting... i wonder if that's the same thing as when undead npc's hide and become invisible?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16030 on: April 11, 2020, 12:57:31 am »

My adventurer just sort of vanished while I was using tactics mode. The tile where he was standing still causes people to lie down when they enter it, but I can't switch to control him or interact in any way. The game still thinks I have a 2-character party, but the first slot is empty.

interesting... i wonder if that's the same thing as when undead npc's hide and become invisible?
Please upload a save to DFFD and add a comment with a link to the bug report if you can.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16031 on: April 11, 2020, 04:17:06 am »

Onmo has decided to wait for Lek the Tenebrous Controllers, the ettin. He erected a house near Feralarmors, then started looting Feralarmors, the abandoned fortress.
That is when Lek appeared. But Onmo was not afraid. On his trusted black stallion Fathbesmar, he rode into battle against her. Fathbesmar was afraid though, which gave Onmo an advantage. He could shoot arrows into Lek, while Fathbesmar carried him away. This was made even better by the fact that Onmo's first shot pierced Lek's knee, making her unable to walk.

Eventualy, Fathbesmar found courage and charged the crippled ettin. That is when Onmo pulled out his melee weapons and battled Lek directly.
Together Onmo and Fathbesmar tore Lek's clothing, then flesh. Eventualy, Fathbesmar became scared again, but it was too late for Lek and she bled out.

With his quarry dead, Onmo deposited all loot from Feralarmors in his house, except for food, which he would eat eventualy, and gems, which he will brought to his lord.

Onmo's next task will be to drive skulking vermin out of Prayber. Hopefuly, it will not take him a month to find them.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16032 on: April 11, 2020, 07:37:16 am »

That is when Lek appeared. But Onmo was not afraid. On his trusted black stallion Fathbesmar, he rode into battle against her. Fathbesmar was afraid though, which gave Onmo an advantage. He could shoot arrows into Lek, while Fathbesmar carried him away. This was made even better by the fact that Onmo's first shot pierced Lek's knee, making her unable to walk.
Huh. I never thought of that.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16033 on: April 11, 2020, 07:58:47 am »

Skirmishing horse archers? Oh boy, I hope the AI never figures that tactic out...
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16034 on: April 11, 2020, 03:01:27 pm »

That was my initial thought as well, but I was under the impression that effect is a power called "Vanish", which was not a power I had access to. I'm wondering if it isn't an unforeseen side effect of freezing and thawing my adventurer. I recall reading about an issue where the game doesn't let you interact with objects that have been thawed out after being encased in ice, as opposed to mined out. Maybe the game 'forgot' that my adventurer isn't frozen anymore and did the same thing it does with objects encased in ice, i.e. makes it basically cease to exist while remembering where it used to be.

Please upload a save to DFFD and add a comment with a link to the bug report if you can.

I'm not sure that's the same bug I'm encountering here, but I can probably do that. I've actually got an earlier save with these adventurers uploaded there now. That could potentially be used to see if the bug can be replicated.
Pages: 1 ... 1067 1068 [1069] 1070 1071 ... 1103