Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1068 1069 [1070] 1071 1072 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2022245 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #16035 on: April 12, 2020, 01:55:27 am »

so on the topic of making a stronger revenant you probably should be doing this on an adventure party member and causing the adventurer party member to die from starvation each time so when you find them again you could resurrect them with newer dark gifts.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16036 on: April 12, 2020, 03:48:28 am »

Drowning and choking also don't damage the body. [IMPAIR_FUNCTION] symptiom does the same if applied to brain or lungs, but it may be difficult to apply it to someone. There is also paralysis, which can have similar results.

Choking turns people hostile though. Also note that strangulation can damage the neck. But choking someone for long enough will kill them even if you don't strangle them. (Yes, I tested that one out.)
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16037 on: April 12, 2020, 05:28:31 am »

Drowning and choking also don't damage the body. [IMPAIR_FUNCTION] symptiom does the same if applied to brain or lungs, but it may be difficult to apply it to someone. There is also paralysis, which can have similar results.

Choking turns people hostile though. Also note that strangulation can damage the neck. But choking someone for long enough will kill them even if you don't strangle them. (Yes, I tested that one out.)
well you can get past like 1 stack of turning someone undead with that but once they become a revenant they pretty much get immunity to most of that until you damage them enough to count as dead.
and the topic was trying to stack revenant powers, so having the game kill the revenant adventurer to set up a resurrection stack would be possible though a whole lot of retiring/killing which will take 2 weeks of in-between set up if you end up having more than one secret.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16038 on: April 12, 2020, 06:41:24 am »

well you can get past like 1 stack of turning someone undead with that but once they become a revenant they pretty much get immunity to most of that until you damage them enough to count as dead.
and the topic was trying to stack revenant powers, so having the game kill the revenant adventurer to set up a resurrection stack would be possible though a whole lot of retiring/killing which will take 2 weeks of in-between set up if you end up having more than one secret.
Yeah, I forgot about the part where they are already undead.
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16039 on: April 12, 2020, 10:13:03 am »

so on the topic of making a stronger revenant you probably should be doing this on an adventure party member and causing the adventurer party member to die from starvation each time so when you find them again you could resurrect them with newer dark gifts.

I'd considered the "give into starvation" option, but I wasn't sure whether that would leave an intact corpse or just a skeleton. I tested to see whether you can raise skeletons as intelligent undead, and seems that you cannot. I decided not to risk it.

But if your adventurer's flesh doesn't rot off their bones in the two week waiting period, then yeah that'd be the most straightforward approach.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16040 on: April 12, 2020, 10:56:38 am »

I'd considered the "give into starvation" option, but I wasn't sure whether that would leave an intact corpse or just a skeleton. I tested to see whether you can raise skeletons as intelligent undead, and seems that you cannot. I decided not to risk it.

But if your adventurer's flesh doesn't rot off their bones in the two week waiting period, then yeah that'd be the most straightforward approach.

I just tested this after reading it. It works. One adventurer gave in to starvation, the next one found his corpse.

Edit:
Onmo and Fathbesmar just had their first truly dangerous encounter.
Tasked with driving some bandits out of a hillocks, Onmo and Fathbesmar traveled there.

Onmo entered the civic mound on foot and was surprised, as the bandit captain, who was a goblin hacked at his foot with a silver halberd. The halberd could not penetrate Onmo's iron boots, but did sprain his ankle.

The bandit captain then opened the door and Fathbesmar, seeing Onmo injured attacked the captain. This gave Onmo enough time to pull his crutch out of his bag and pick himself up for further combat.
Together Onmo and Fathbesmar beat the captain unconscious, then Onmo cut his head off. As they were about to leave, however, another goblin attacked them. They managed to kill him too, but Fathbesmar took serious beating in his hooves.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 05:26:19 am by Mathel »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #16041 on: April 13, 2020, 10:34:35 am »

Made a new character, and took a quest from my lord to kill a night troll spouse living a "short walk" away from the mead hall. In my experience they often live alone and their family members (converted or not) make new lairs.

But not in this case. The lair contained a small family of them: the troll himself, his spouse, and a child. The troll and the child rushed me while the spouse stayed inside. I got downed by the child (either the AI got smarter or he lucked out to take me down via wrestling), he smashed my tail and broke one of my legs and arms, however I beheaded him soon after with the axe in my remaining arm. The troll, meanwhile, broke my *other* leg, while I chopped off one arm and one leg from him, he tore apart the muscle on my other arm. Having no biting skill, I thought I was screwed. However he bled to death from his injuries. I picked up the body parts as trophies and fast-traveled away, with my quest technically unfulfilled (in no way was I in shape to kill the spouse). However, even after I healed due to fast-travel, my arms were so scarred that I couldn't hold weapons. I was still able to stand up. I RPed it as my character making makeshift splints to still be able to sort-of walk. Will scars heal/become less severe eventually (after retiring maybe)? or will I have to retire this character (or use bites/kicks to fight ;))?
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16042 on: April 13, 2020, 11:23:59 am »

I have no idea about scars.

About AI, perhaps it got better.

In other news, Fathbesmar is now the best companion I ever had in DF:Adventure.
He lets me ride him and with his horse speed and stamina, we have 4.7 speed for whole combat.
He has a propensity to charge creatures smaller than him and run from things bigger than him, which is good for attacking humanoids and shooting monsters.
Several of our kills are already attributable to him, as he was the one who struck the killing blow, and once he ripped a person's hand off.

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16043 on: April 13, 2020, 02:16:09 pm »

I just tested this after reading it. It works. One adventurer gave in to starvation, the next one found his corpse.

Huh. Good to know. That will make things much easier the next time I pull this kind of nonsense.

Will scars heal/become less severe eventually (after retiring maybe)? or will I have to retire this character (or use bites/kicks to fight ;))?

Scars alone shouldn't prevent limbs from functioning. You may want to consult the health screen. If there are muscles or tendons that are still torn, then those will heal before long. If you suffered damage to motor nerves, then that will never heal without some shenanigans.

Certain divination dice may grant healing, which could fix you right up. Some of them can curse you to spend a week (ostensibly) in the form of an animal, which I know firsthand can at least heal function loss in the lower spine when you change back. Not sure about motor nerves though.

That's assuming, of course, that you can even use divination dice without functional hands. You might actually be able to, I don't remember. If not, then the only other healing option would be to become a werebeast. Or you could become a zombie. It wouldn't heal you, but they can retain usage of their limbs no matter how cut up they get.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #16044 on: April 13, 2020, 02:55:00 pm »

So, I was gathering screens for the wiki, and turns out an insurrection happened at the keep. My adventurer had just been minted a hearthperson, and started out as a doctor, the insurrection has led to her being the head doctor of the town now... Apparently she was also briefly sewer administrator, which sounds like a much easier job, given the town has no sewers.

I was gonna do a RPey adventurer run where I would go to this one fortress to read all the medical topic books, I just didn't think this adventurer would be the one I did it with... (Doctor is one of the nicer jobs to start with as it gives free reading and writing skill on top of basic medical skills).
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #16045 on: April 14, 2020, 01:25:56 am »

Huh. Good to know. That will make things much easier the next time I pull this kind of nonsense.

Will scars heal/become less severe eventually (after retiring maybe)? or will I have to retire this character (or use bites/kicks to fight ;))?

Scars alone shouldn't prevent limbs from functioning. You may want to consult the health screen. If there are muscles or tendons that are still torn, then those will heal before long. If you suffered damage to motor nerves, then that will never heal without some shenanigans.

Certain divination dice may grant healing, which could fix you right up. Some of them can curse you to spend a week (ostensibly) in the form of an animal, which I know firsthand can at least heal function loss in the lower spine when you change back. Not sure about motor nerves though.

That's assuming, of course, that you can even use divination dice without functional hands. You might actually be able to, I don't remember. If not, then the only other healing option would be to become a werebeast. Or you could become a zombie. It wouldn't heal you, but they can retain usage of their limbs no matter how cut up they get.
Well, I don't know what happened but now I can actually use my hands. Maybe they didn't fully heal after fast-travel somehow? It's weird.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16046 on: April 14, 2020, 08:51:45 am »

Wandering around in an area with lots of undead animals.
It is close to a tower and the area is evil.

I'm accompanied with 3 companions. During previous adventures they all gained names and experience.'
Undead wolves, badgers an eagles: they all perish within seconds facing this group. I have to sprint to get some part of the fun.

Then we decided to do some undead kestrel pong. While in normal combats the body parts fly all over the place, kestrels seem to be too light to get a good shot at their limbs. They just get thrown all over the pace and refuse to die.

After we all were getting exhausted from running after the undead bird I decided it was enough. I put away my weapons,used wrestling to grab it by the head and pinched.

Time to Z

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16047 on: April 16, 2020, 12:41:39 pm »

So, I managed to get my super-zombie experiment adventurer, Ustuth, back. And let me tell you, it was a process.

I couldn't get Thob, his vampire/multi-necromancer/death cultist partner-in-crime, to retire no matter where I went. So I had her give in to starvation (Thanks to Rumrusher and Mathel for the tip/testing!) after hiking all the way back to a camp I set up earlier to ensure all their artifacts were at least scattered in a place I could find them. This was without using the "Travel" option, mind you. Traveling made the game crash. By the time I reached the camp, she'd become a Legendary+5 Crutch Walker.

Then I started up a new dwarf adventurer, Endok, and added Ustuth to the party. I turned Endok into a vampire (Ustuth still had a mug of cursed blood in his inventory)  so we wouldn't need to stop for food or water and traveled over to the camp where Thob's corpse would be. A camp which was overrun with my god, so many animals!. I had Endok read a book Thob had written containing the secrets of life and death (the very secrets originally passed down by Thob's own deity, no less) and raised Thob as a Fetid Hunter.

But Thob was no longer in the party, and can't respond to conversations anymore. And on top of that, when I saved, the game crashed. Which caused Thob to vanish just like Ustuth did (meaning my guess about the bug being caused by getting encased in ice was incorrect). So I had Endok give in to starvation and started an adventure with Thob and Ustuth.

If I'm gonna have to deal with the vanishing adventurer bug every time I resurrect a party member, then I may have to keep Endok around so he and Thob can alternate who gets to starve and who gets to resurrect. Which is a hell of a workaround.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 12:43:16 pm by Vicious_Unicycle »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #16048 on: April 21, 2020, 11:33:40 am »

Two important life lessons were learned today:

1. If you dismount from a horse, be careful where you dismount, I dismounted into a well.
2. If you dismount into a well, don't panic, you can climb up and out of the well before your adventurer drowns.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16049 on: April 26, 2020, 01:25:32 am »

Rolled up a tiger woman hero for fun and testing. I've killed a dozen or so people who were all definitely bandits, but I'm not even recognized as a protector of the defenseless, and instead as an unhinged murderer. My full title is "Krol Eastbow the Fortunate Drinker of Partners. I did get blessed with good luck, and then granted a giant tiger pet! I named him "Sunstroke." He has devoured many, and become quite muscular. His full title has become "'Sunstroke' Apesdrinks the Untrustworhy." I have enough skill in judging intent to tell that he is constantly grouchy, often afraid because of trauma from combat. He always becomes positive and feels more and more confident as I flatter him, but doesnt seem to get my jokes.

Anyway, after slaughtering everyone in the one bandit-controlled settlement, we encountered a named giant cheetah in the woods, which I turned into fancy decorations for my gear. When we reached the capitol of the vutchnell empire, Evenclaw, I managed to get a couple dudes so drunk they died and stole their artifacts; a nice crystal spear and a silver flail. I then murdered a few more bandits, confessed to my murders again, apparently, and continued south to the dwarven fortress of Armorcudgel and found a couple slabs; one granted me the powers of the vampire hunter, the other the powers of the storm mage.

We also found a lair, containing a named giant dingo. I promptly chopped off his lower body with my steel short sword, and turned his teeth into a pair of daggers decorated with his bones. People liked the beast killings. They consider me a skilled hunter now. And a skilled storyteller. Not sure what I really want to do next.

Gotta say I'm so glad you can buy armor when creating your character now, or my tigerwoman here would be restricted to the leather and bone armor I can craft.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1068 1069 [1070] 1071 1072 ... 1104