Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1070 1071 [1072] 1073 1074 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2022574 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #16065 on: May 02, 2020, 11:41:10 am »

Genned a 395 yr medium region.

So, rolled an outsider peasant dwarf: illiterate archer Fikuk Gullychannels the Muddy Toes. Narratively, like every sturdy idiot from various fairy tales, he's tall and strong.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mechanically, I selected a tall build description, so Fikuk would be north of 47500 in size; he'll be able to one-hand weapons with the requirement [TWO_HANDED:47500] without suffering a to-hit-penalty. Sometimes the "thin/short build/average-in-size" dwarf character will end up multigrasping anything 47500 and up. Since behavior and insight into character thoughts and feelings aren't well-reflected yet, I murderhobo'd some of them to end range automaton (no anxiety/stress/fear, etc). While it's preferable to play a nuanced character, I'd rather run an insensible goon rather than a handwringer who will fret and kvetch over the minor inconveniences of the Armok-governed world. Lesser of two evils.

Starting strength at High makes a character much less reliant on weapon material type, weight and contact area in regard to damage, and in relation to encumbrance for slow travel gameplay, a strong character can carry more. It's also the slowest body stat to advance even if a character is engaged in perpetual warfare.
Fikuk's starting sprint speed is 2.881, which is in the better range (high 2.88+-mid 2.9) for dwarf with high strength and above-average agility.

He spawns in a hamlet where he finds sheep wool yarn and rope reeds to make two pairs of pants and two shirts; inner layer wool, outer layer rope reed (makes simulation sense). While collecting some tree branches for this clothesmaking, I misjudge Fikuk's z-level and have him jump 3 levels down to the ground where he suffers a variety of bruising damage, and unintentionally gains a bit of armor user XP.
By the time he slow travel jogs to the town 1 world map tile SW, I check his description and it seems he's healing nicely. His pancreas has improved from mangled beyond recognition to bruised.

He had 20 equipment points left over after buying IMO the bare minimum archer setup (large dagger-weight 2Γ, maple bow-weight <1Γ and copper axe-weight 7Γ)….
and while every peasant might like a dog as a pet, RNG determines what type of dog. In town he hopes to find a large dog, with the word large in its description.
Large size, not based on being fat, but skeletal build might be the most useful for NPCs. Like the real world, wrestling is about size. And for a critter whose main attack is bite with [CAN_LATCH], the NPC definitely wants the sizing modifier to either break grips or maintain them.

While looking for a dog, Fikuk picks up a short sword weighing 2Γ. And with that, he has his fighting gear for this run (bow/sword/dagger). He might include a copper mace, but that weighs a hefty 8Γ which would limit other items he might want to carry, especially as this run won't include any fast travel. Unhelpful to have a walking speed under 1.000 if playing only slow travel.

The nice thing about DF Adv Mode, as opposed to the standard rogue-like hit point attrition system, is you can stick with your starting equipment and manage performance through physical strength and if desired, metal type, rather than being railroaded into gear upgrades.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16066 on: May 03, 2020, 09:06:16 am »

Can you decorate in adventure mode? No

dfhack gui/advfort will destroy the improved item. When selecting the job, it starts with selecting nonsensical items, like a steel and a gold bar. When changing the bar to the item to be improved it just vanishes after the job completes. There is no job-menu to set the type of improvement, maybe that is related. Tried craft workshop, gem workshop and metalsmith forge.

You can however make bone crafts from non-sentient enemies in vanilla dwarf fortress. Advfort will at best also allow you to decorate the walls and floors with engravings. With adfort -c cheat flag you might be able to make statues or other crafts from non-standard materials and make decorations that way out of your enemies' remains.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16067 on: May 04, 2020, 03:01:04 pm »

You can make a reaction to apply simple decorations like spikes, hanging rings, bands or wrapping with leather, but you have to generate a new world.

I like to improve my equipment with the bones/leather of creatures I kill
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16068 on: May 04, 2020, 05:51:33 pm »

You can make a reaction to apply simple decorations like spikes, hanging rings, bands or wrapping with leather, but you have to generate a new world.

I like to improve my equipment with the bones/leather of creatures I kill
yeah adv reactions where you can take any reagent and combine it with any other reagent to engrave stuff is the best.
also when you start applying 'keep artifact' tokens on the items.

so in my current adventurers I experience the first hand joy of riding a giant sperm whale pet and then riding a whaleperson in a river.
took a while and a lot of nudging to get them into the river but super happy to see this is possible.

also like technically with necromancy someone could legit get themselves an undead giant whale mount or an revenant giant whale person or Vampire giant whale person.

edit: I just now realize the whole stealth mechanic npcs have now is only player restrictive which means npcs work normally combine this with the whole player is possessing someone gives off the idea of someone hiding from Player vision but the possessed person can still see them but can't act on it. also means the only way they can fight someone sneaking about is if the player gives up control of them to possess someone else in the party.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 06:38:21 pm by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16069 on: May 05, 2020, 06:04:05 pm »

Youre telling toady about that right? So he can finally resolve that issue?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16070 on: May 06, 2020, 05:38:38 am »

Youre telling toady about that right? So he can finally resolve that issue?
about what the whale riding in the river, the stealth stuff which I was thinking 'oh yeah with the whole player possessing someone idea  kinda make it so that folks learn how to hide from the player but doesn't make them any more hidden to every one else.'
and the 'fix' was the player let someone else fight the invisible character as they are cloaked to your vision.

like the player is color blind and the units in the world discover a strait to cloak themselves to the player vision but to everyone else they just stick out like a sore thumb.

or the keep artifact product with keep reagent allowing you to copy the artifact over to a new item even though the item is completely different?

since I haven' t dip deeply into that artifact stuff to see how far I could go with it to make a write up for toady
"body swapping and YOU!"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16071 on: May 07, 2020, 09:37:23 pm »

The stealth thing.
I make Spellcrafts!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16073 on: May 09, 2020, 01:30:30 am »

Yeah, I was just hoping Rumrusher's observation that it is purely player-side would aid in resolving it, maybe.

Anyway, I found a couple neat exploits. Firstly, you can talk to pets/any tame animal(?) indefinitely to practice flattery, comedian and pacifier skills, as well as intimidation and persuasion if you include the investigate/interrogate options. It's tempting to stand there and harass your poor horse with bad jokes and backhanded compliments (well, technically only saying "you're amazing" repeatedly) indefinitely, because no matter how terrible the conversation makes them feel, they cannot terminate it like intelligent npcs can. If you have at least adequate skill it seems you can cheese even the most unfriendly npc conversations indefinitely.

If you murder the pets you bring with you when you begin your adventure, npcs will regard you as a hunter, not unhinged or a murderer or anything. I brought two sheep and brutally tore them to pieces to sew their hides into fine garments. The NPC's in the house i started in were alarmed by the combat, but think I'm "something of a hunter" instead of unhinged and insane as such actions would surely be deemed.

I also just witnessed a shrine violently deconstruct itself, statue and all. Looks like it spawned in open space next to a hill. A dog was caught in the resulting cave-in dust, but it only suffered a bruised leg. This adventure is off to a good start.
I make Spellcrafts!

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #16074 on: May 09, 2020, 06:00:20 am »

I guess the hunter part is because you killed a named animal? But geez, yes, poor sheep.

I've also used the convo with horse exploit, as well as trying to intimidate my horse and persuade my horse. So, turns out that failing intimidation check lowers the subject's fear, failing persuation check lowers the subject's trust, succeeding does the opposite. So at one point my horse distrusted and did not fear me... (because you know, it is a horse, it cannot confess) if DF was a little bit more complete, I imagine that would've seriously affected my horse-riding skills.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #16075 on: May 09, 2020, 06:34:26 am »

I guess the hunter part is because you killed a named animal? But geez, yes, poor sheep.

I've also used the convo with horse exploit, as well as trying to intimidate my horse and persuade my horse. So, turns out that failing intimidation check lowers the subject's fear, failing persuation check lowers the subject's trust, succeeding does the opposite. So at one point my horse distrusted and did not fear me... (because you know, it is a horse, it cannot confess) if DF was a little bit more complete, I imagine that would've seriously affected my horse-riding skills.
And if it was even more complete, your character wouldn't level much and would gain a reputation as the village idiot who talks to horses.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 09:28:02 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16076 on: May 09, 2020, 09:09:08 am »

Anyway, I found a couple neat exploits. Firstly, you can talk to pets/any tame animal(?) indefinitely to practice flattery, comedian and pacifier skills, as well as intimidation and persuasion if you include the investigate/interrogate options. It's tempting to stand there and harass your poor horse with bad jokes and backhanded compliments (well, technically only saying "you're amazing" repeatedly) indefinitely, because no matter how terrible the conversation makes them feel, they cannot terminate it like intelligent npcs can. If you have at least adequate skill it seems you can cheese even the most unfriendly npc conversations indefinitely.
I think this has been around in some form as early as 0.40. In Bastiongate, the dwarves with the highest social skills in the fort were the animal trainers.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16077 on: May 09, 2020, 04:06:47 pm »

Seems the last few 47.04 random medium maps I've genned have so much evil tile overflow into otherwise normal site settlement locales; only thing I changed in advanced settings was having two poles and no edge ocean requirement. Plenty of sites either have very high pop counts, or barely any. Maybe necromancers in world gen are too high? Eh, who knows…can't change that without tinkering too much.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16078 on: May 09, 2020, 08:34:34 pm »

Well, this seems a fitting end to a good adventure:

This dragon lived in a cave at the extreme northeastern corner of the world, across an evil tundra infested with undead. It was a tense fight throughout. The dragon managed to land a clawing blow on Sarek's right arm, tearing it to shreds instantly and forcing him to drop his shield - he managed to pick it back up again, but there were a few moments he was in danger of instant dragonfire incineration. But the real bad wound came when the dragon caught Sarek's right foot in his mouth and ripped it off, sending Sarek to the ground in pain and bleeding profusely. But he fought on, managing to land a crippling gut-strike that made the dragon retch, before plunging his greatsword deep into its skull.

The bleeding stopped, and he made it back to civilization with some dragon-bone bling, but I think it's time for Sarek to enjoy retirement. It's been a good run:
Not pictured: the dozens of night trolls Sarek made it his goal to eradicate, along with several vampires including a human law-giver, a dwarven king, and an elven queen (who turned out to be a human male - go figure). Oh, and all the zombies and necromancers from the coven he cleared out, dumping their blasphemous books into the magma sea. I'm just a little sad he never got to fight the zombie hydra this world also had.

Sarek's weapon of choice: a masterwork sword made of divine metal, which he forged (and decorated!) himself. He also wore armor of the same metal, which was strong but extremely light (it was, however, notably not very strong against certain blunt attacks, like horn gores from a night troll).
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16079 on: May 12, 2020, 03:28:16 am »

Picking up aquatic only pets I just notice merfolk will rush to the nearest pool of water on their own which is a detail that saves me having to drag them into the water.

that does mean spending most of my adventurers near the river side and hoping I could give them a syndrome that makes them not need to breathe.
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: 1 ... 1070 1071 [1072] 1073 1074 ... 1104