Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1101 1102 [1103] 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2021798 times)

Ashtarnaghl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #16530 on: December 14, 2023, 08:28:17 pm »

Joined the world as a demigod adventurer, loyal knight of the local elvish lord. After a couple of quests, killing a hydra, some trolls and committing a veritable genocide against local Kobold camps, I've grown to legendary adventurer status. All of a sudden, my liege directs me to drive out a group of criminals from a nearby human town, which just so happens to be one of our major trading partners - Gladevigor. So I assemble my loyal death squad police force from the best warriors I can find, and set off. Upon arriving in Gladevigor, I immediately notice a couple of things: first, the town seems to be governed by a theocratic government belonging to the region's largest religion, the Communion of Ruling. More interestingly, the communion's control over Gladevigor appears hotly contested, with citizens largely hiding in their homes from sporadic clashes on the streets. Sure enough, I've arrived in the middle of a pretty brutal insurrection by ANOTHER religious group, the Sienna Order. Me and my squad try to keep low and hunt down the criminals, but we end up getting involved in a couple street clashes against the rebels. At this point, I'm not connecting the dots, but after three days of hunting, we've killed or chased off all the remaining criminals. All of a sudden, I notice a blip on my map marking a traveling group assembled just outside the cities' walls that heads directly for the keep. Huh. Probably just another Merchant from the neighboring villages. Still, curiosity gets the better of me and I check in on the keep. Inside is a complete charnel-house: it seems the Sienna Order's rebellion got together enough strength to attack the Communion of Ruling inside their castle, infiltrating it successfully. The Communion of ruling has made a massacre of the revolutionaries, with corpses strewn across the courtyard and the last remains of the attackers being cornered and cut down all over the keep. At this point I've seen enough, so I quickly run back home to my lord and hand my report in. Afterwards, I check out legends mode, curious about the apparent civil war going on inside a city of thousands of people. I look up the specific group of criminals I was sent to hunt down - a group of outcasts who apparently were involved somehow with the Sienna order. Did I just ruthlessly slaughter a bunch of rebels fighting a theocratic dictatorship? Looks like it.  In the early spring of 114, the insurrection at Gladevigor ended with the disappearance of the rebelling population. Yikes.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16531 on: December 14, 2023, 09:46:53 pm »

Joined the world as a demigod adventurer, loyal knight of the local elvish lord. After a couple of quests, killing a hydra, some trolls and committing a veritable genocide against local Kobold camps, I've grown to legendary adventurer status. All of a sudden, my liege directs me to drive out a group of criminals from a nearby human town, which just so happens to be one of our major trading partners - Gladevigor. So I assemble my loyal death squad police force from the best warriors I can find, and set off. Upon arriving in Gladevigor, I immediately notice a couple of things: first, the town seems to be governed by a theocratic government belonging to the region's largest religion, the Communion of Ruling. More interestingly, the communion's control over Gladevigor appears hotly contested, with citizens largely hiding in their homes from sporadic clashes on the streets. Sure enough, I've arrived in the middle of a pretty brutal insurrection by ANOTHER religious group, the Sienna Order. Me and my squad try to keep low and hunt down the criminals, but we end up getting involved in a couple street clashes against the rebels. At this point, I'm not connecting the dots, but after three days of hunting, we've killed or chased off all the remaining criminals. All of a sudden, I notice a blip on my map marking a traveling group assembled just outside the cities' walls that heads directly for the keep. Huh. Probably just another Merchant from the neighboring villages. Still, curiosity gets the better of me and I check in on the keep. Inside is a complete charnel-house: it seems the Sienna Order's rebellion got together enough strength to attack the Communion of Ruling inside their castle, infiltrating it successfully. The Communion of ruling has made a massacre of the revolutionaries, with corpses strewn across the courtyard and the last remains of the attackers being cornered and cut down all over the keep. At this point I've seen enough, so I quickly run back home to my lord and hand my report in. Afterwards, I check out legends mode, curious about the apparent civil war going on inside a city of thousands of people. I look up the specific group of criminals I was sent to hunt down - a group of outcasts who apparently were involved somehow with the Sienna order. Did I just ruthlessly slaughter a bunch of rebels fighting a theocratic dictatorship? Looks like it.  In the early spring of 114, the insurrection at Gladevigor ended with the disappearance of the rebelling population. Yikes.

Damn, this makes me miss adventure mode so much. April can't get here fast enough.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 10:19:39 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Ashtarnaghl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16532 on: December 15, 2023, 12:03:54 am »

Damn, this makes me miss adventure mode so much. April can't get here fast enough.

At this point I've gotten my adventurer to be lord of Gladevigor, trying to get the Communion of Ruling out of government, but so far they keep launching insurrections and flipping site ownership back to them. So it's essentially a constant guerrilla war between my Adventurer and his followers, and wave upon wave of Holy Dominions (the basic-level priest of the Communion, all of whom have turned hostile to me since I disappeared retired their high priest, the Holy Labyrinth). Also for some reason, all sorts of OTHER rebel groups keep popping up intermittently, including large groups of Elvish, Goblin and Dwarven insurgents who keep popping up at the outskirts of town to attack my men, then disperse into the more densely urban areas without a trace. All in all, fighting has lasted throughout the spring, with intermittent clashes and murders leaving the population cowering in fear and the streets littered with bodies. Despite all of this, our forces will prevail, and we will free Gladevigor from the tyrants - no matter the cost.

Doren I

• Bay Watcher
  • The crown of Stars really makes the outfit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16533 on: January 07, 2024, 09:51:56 pm »

My adventurer found a civilized Giant by the name of Ala Goldesteemed in an old ruin. He had become a priest at some point and stopped his rampaging.  He had clothes (normally semi megabeasts don’t) and his socks alone weighed 30 urists, which he wore along side dozens of artifacts he had accumulated over the years.  He was a very friendly fellow and not at all hostile.  I tried to make him join the party but he refused because of his priestly duties.  I had no idea monsters like him could join civilization

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16534 on: January 07, 2024, 09:58:09 pm »

The bigotry knows no bounds!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16535 on: January 08, 2024, 05:34:19 am »

Honestly I'm surprised he didn't attack you. Megabeast hostility usually overrides everything else and they attack everyone/everyone attacks them
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16536 on: January 09, 2024, 11:58:29 pm »

Honestly I'm surprised he didn't attack you. Megabeast hostility usually overrides everything else and they attack everyone/everyone attacks them
so all the sapient beings in the game have potential to shift to being peaceful if they join a civ group, also giants being semi-megabeasts might not give them full 'Megabeast' properties.

them joining a church in a ruin probably could happen due to settling in a place that had a church

I'm not surprised the giant didn't attack them given they aren't considered wild.

I remember spending time talking semi-megabeasts into joining civs in my past days of playing adv mode.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16537 on: January 10, 2024, 03:22:35 am »

True, it's happened in the Museum game with demons too, actually.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16538 on: March 07, 2024, 03:37:13 pm »

I'm so close to going from Golden Age in my world to twilight!

My goal is to reach an age of Fairy tales which I've never done before or seen before because it is a world without dwarves in it!

Doubt I will achieve the final goal before steam release of adventure mode, but if I reach age of twilight that'll give me the energy to push through the rest!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16539 on: April 17, 2024, 03:32:35 pm »

Playing on the beta branch. Loaded my pre-existing world in adventure mode. It is as I expected; all my civ's "population" are actually ghouls! The necromancers I defeated were still leave their mark, I must now purge the land of the plague ghouls.

First bug report: infected ghouls still count as site population, not necromancer invaders. Not new or specific to adventure mode.

Most or all of the controls remain unchanged?? But + mouse support! Which still feels clunky.
I make Spellcrafts!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16540 on: April 17, 2024, 03:51:07 pm »

Playing on the beta branch. Loaded my pre-existing world in adventure mode. It is as I expected; all my civ's "population" are actually ghouls! The necromancers I defeated were still leave their mark, I must now purge the land of the plague ghouls.

First bug report: infected ghouls still count as site population, not necromancer invaders. Not new or specific to adventure mode.

Most or all of the controls remain unchanged?? But + mouse support! Which still feels clunky.

Yeah, just embarked with a polar bear man adventurer and I'm already noticing shortcomings. Having to switch over to mouse cursor to talk to people and examine outside objects definitely feels off to me. Oh well, guess it's a beta for a reason. Hopefully something I can get used to.

Anyway, I'm off to kill a troll which has apparently taken over a nearby monastery. Wish me luck...
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16541 on: April 17, 2024, 04:52:11 pm »

It's the same, it only looks different. Godan Metalcatches begins his adventure!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16542 on: April 17, 2024, 07:04:02 pm »

Tried out the beta because why not.

This is the tale of the Lizardman:

Jump.
Start an Elven civil war.
Refuse to elaborate.
Encased in ice while hunting a sturgeon.

I fucking love DF.

Things to know for the future:
You'll never have the points for it in vanilla, but I saw dragons as pet options in character creation.
Trade is not implemented yet, or at least not the UI for it. Same goes for crafting and butchering. Plan accordingly.
BEWARE OF LOCKED DOORS. The UI is not implemented, but you'll get thrown into a UI limbo where it tries to give you the old UI, except you can't exit it because the controls for it (bash or pick) are either not implemented or overlaps with the new controls. I was saved by a pet opening the door, I think. Either that or my button spam worked somehow.

Beta pains.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16543 on: April 17, 2024, 09:50:42 pm »

I got stuck in UI hell just now too; I tried to wrestle an eagle, passed out or something with it still attacking me. And it won't stop. And I won't die. And each step takes a second to play the attack animation. So now I'm sitting here watching pools of blood slowly accumulate around my character. It's been several minutes.

I'm locked out of all controls until this finishes.

I would suggest turns need to auto-skip animations and just process turns in the background without updating the video frame after a certain number of turns you were unable to act on, until you can act again. And maybe pause after a certain number of steps and give you the option to quit.

Its still going... And all I hear is *clunk**clunk**clunk**clunk**clunk**clunk**clunk**clunk**clunk**clunk**clunk* beating my head like a drum

[edit]

I finally bled to death, after 16(!?) real-world minutes and 5725 lines of announcements in gamelog.txt. God damn.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 10:07:23 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16544 on: April 20, 2024, 10:53:51 pm »

No trade/barter/shop menu has been painful. Can't do any treasure seeking quests properly, can't buy food (or butcher animals).

Unrelated, I was having an issue in the north where it took too long to unfreeze my water. So naturally I filled my waterskins with wine! However, I misjudged the size of my dwarf's liver and drank too much, and choked to death on my vomit.

Adventurer #2 is parked inside of a dark fortress, right by all the prisoner cells. Waiting for the day we're allowed to interact with doors and levers properly. I think the only quest we can actually do at this stage in the beta are kill quests.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.
Pages: 1 ... 1101 1102 [1103] 1104