Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2018695 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #2070 on: March 20, 2011, 05:43:28 pm »

Back in the game for a run, training up a character's sword and dodge skills by slaughtering an entire abandoned fortress worth of random animals has been helpful. I just killed a blind cave ogre with with frustration due to the fact that my sword is silver. Lesson learned: SILVER + SWORD = SEVERING-B-GONE

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: March 20, 2011, 07:16:03 pm »

As much as I hate to double post, same adventurer...

I believe if I remember from legends mode, that was the only living megabeast/titan left. What is the consensus here? Does this mean I beat the game? What happens next?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #2072 on: March 20, 2011, 07:20:41 pm »

It means THE MACEMAN JUST STOLE YOUR KILL OF THE LAST MEGABEAST ON THE PLANET. Otherwise, you're probably going to be sent on quests to kill random bandits and night beasts, maybe with the occasional semi-megabeast mixed in. You won't ever win in DF though, since there are no ending criteria other than losing. Nice job killing them all, though. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: March 20, 2011, 07:25:07 pm »

Well, I was wrong anyway. The roc that I thought had died to an elf in worldgen is apparently still alive (whew), so I'm going to tell all my companions to go away and finally kill the last megabeast.

Thankfully there are fun semimegabeasts lurking in caves.

Anyway, I know there's no win condition in DF. Eventually this character will either die or have to retire a king among brainless, spineless men.

EDIT:

welp
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:33:32 pm by freeformschooler »

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: March 21, 2011, 12:39:08 am »

welp

Maybe you could make your own megabeasts through modding? Although megabeasts wouldn't spawn, so maybe megabeast sized regularbeasts? That would make things... Interesting.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:56:33 am by Stone Wera »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: March 21, 2011, 12:52:53 am »

I posted my one and only minotaur fight somewhere in this thread. Didn't think any of us were gonna make it out alive after it splattered the brains of two of my companions on the walls in quick succession. Minotaurs can be terrifying.

recently I tried using DFmode to switch out of dwarf mode and collect my adventurer for some fun. screwed the fortress over to an extent. glad I backed it up. Turns out the journey south from the human towns is about one month long, if you don't have a clue where you're going. I killed dozens of wildlife as I often couldn't just sneak away and travel, trying to ignore them.
well if you use DFusion to select a adventurer then swap to adventure mode then save that would allow you to play adventure mode and walking to the site you once on and swap to fort mode then save would grant you access to fort mode.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: March 21, 2011, 10:55:23 am »

My Orc outsider just got his first quest.
"A beast from the wilds has been harassing our people."
Sounds fairly easy.
Blah blah blah...
"Knowing no mercy, Shotom the Black Bear stole prepared mastiff lung!"
Thought that was funny.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: March 21, 2011, 12:57:07 pm »

Mung "slate 20 182 our legendary Bronze Colossus just came back from his trip with more humans. A Doctor, what I guess are his friends from adventures of old and this young girl. She said she 13 years old and that she lives in a by herself in castle day's walk from here. Good news is that Athida the bronze went and clean up the water from the aquifer we spent a month on digging through now we have a chance to stones and metals... not that I'm against melting down bandit gear. Slate 21 182 during my inspection of goods before packing up for 'The Abandoning' I notice a strange group of eggs in the collection, metal ones... The bronze Athida is not a Male bronze. I need a Drink. Ps. Malt bandit is still a good spirit to drink I need to get that recipe from 'Miss' Athida."

So another abandoning is near and I struck not wet dirt and have a royal member in my fort. Man feels like a great start for a big fort/adventure. Also found out I left a mod in for laying eggs in my Bronze colossi now they poop bronze eggs.
"body swapping and YOU!"

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: March 21, 2011, 02:42:17 pm »

Every time I think I've killed them all, there's always another one hiding halfway across the world!  >:(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the flipside, how much is randomly generated super-duper-giantdesertscorpion meat worth?

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: March 22, 2011, 02:19:53 am »

Finally got bored of running around after endless night troll quests. Either we ran out of megabeasts, or the local leaders just hated night creatures.

So as a final test, I sent my dwarf to face what is normally the death of my adventurers: goblin ambush with too many companions. I recruited as many soldiers as I could (19), headed for a dark fortress "location", and camped there for the night. Either he would go out in a blaze of glory surrounded by green-skinned foes, or win and be retired as a peasant in a nice big city.

A wave of goblins attacked. He and his fellows won handily. And cleaned out a human bandit camp and another goblin ambush on the way home.

"Bagheera" Inkedfur the Friendly Trickery had 101 notable and 58 other kills. 14 were bogeymen. And now I like to think of him using the pick he found on his travels to set up a proper underground farm under the human town.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: March 22, 2011, 02:29:56 am »

Finally got bored of running around after endless night troll quests. Either we ran out of megabeasts, or the local leaders just hated night creatures.

So as a final test, I sent my dwarf to face what is normally the death of my adventurers: goblin ambush with too many companions. I recruited as many soldiers as I could (19), headed for a dark fortress "location", and camped there for the night. Either he would go out in a blaze of glory surrounded by green-skinned foes, or win and be retired as a peasant in a nice big city.

A wave of goblins attacked. He and his fellows won handily. And cleaned out a human bandit camp and another goblin ambush on the way home.

"Bagheera" Inkedfur the Friendly Trickery had 101 notable and 58 other kills. 14 were bogeymen. And now I like to think of him using the pick he found on his travels to set up a proper underground farm under the human town.
well you could use DFmode to add that dwarf to fort mode.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: March 25, 2011, 03:43:10 am »

My elf adventurer Alisa Variimaza has been exploring the mountain hall of Sodel Tabar (a fort I had successfully "retired" intact using DFusion+dfmode). Despite the elf-dwarf war, the dwarves were suprisingly friendly, and she was able to pick up a nice set of bronze armor (minus boots), and a nice scimitar. She hadn't killed anything yet, and thus was unable to convince any of the dwarves (or the human caravan guards) to join her on her adventures.

She decided to rest just outside the fort till morning, when she was rudely awakened by a goblin ambush party. Luckily, she was close enough to the fort that the speargoblin boss was distracted by a passing dwarven farmer, and she was able to dispatch the a macegob and crossbowgob quickly with thrown sharp rocks.

The farmer was not so lucky though, and took several crippling hits before Alisa could take down the speargob. Alisa found to her delight that her reputation had increased after downing the goblin boss, but still it was not enough for her to recruit any of the experienced soldiers around the fort.

She picked up a random assortment of copper weapons and goblin armor, and decided to try her luck in a nearby elven hamlet. There, news of her triumph over the goblin raiders had arrived, and she was able to recruit four peasants, which she immediately outfitted with the looted arms and armor.

With her new-found troops, she's decided to explore the west shore of the False Waters - a goblin encampment to the southeast looks like a good place to hone their skills.

Edit:
Days later, a few goblin kills under her belt.  Alisa's party has grown to six, four elves and two humans. After defeating an ambush by the goblins of the Warm Witch, she decides to pay a visit to a dwarven establishment called Ilirstetnin (a 1x1 nanofortress embark I built to serve as an adventurer base).

While the staff is as friendly to Alisa as the defenders of Sodel Tabar, to her horror her elven compatriots draw weapons and start to massacre the dwarven civilians. The two humans decide to join the battle on the side of the dwarves, and soon even the guests (a previous adventurer I had retired at the inn) had joined the melee. 

Result: all residents of the inn, including guests, dead. Of our party, all four elves are dead, and the two humans maimed in various limbs.

(I tried savescumming and modifying the civ numbers of everyone in the party to that of a civ friendly to the dwarves - no dice. It seems there's a hidden civilization marker not visible to Runesmith that controls hostility between races).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 06:31:41 am by Langdon »

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: March 25, 2011, 07:24:41 am »

Dear god! I just ran into mother of all bandit camps. Not being content with the usual 3-10 buggers, there were fricking 55 bandits there. They cut down my single peasant companion in no time, he died out of sight as I had to run the other way and kite the bandits in order to avoid getting swamped.

Eventually I managed to kill 47 of them, including their super-dodger leader, and most of the surviving ones were lacking misc limbs when a lucky maceman managed to chip one of my bones and down I went. In the end I was crawling around the field of blood and there seemed to be just a single bowman still attacking me, but alas my speed had gone down so much from pain that he eventually managed to get my spine and then killed me with shot in the head.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 07:34:20 am by Dwarfoloid »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: March 26, 2011, 06:49:50 am »

I made this new giant cave spider. (Raw duplication)
I started murdering the small cave spiders.
I then murdered their soldiers (Not that they could use the weapons anyway) and law-giver before promptly escaping to another town.
I'm somehow welcome there.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: March 26, 2011, 08:38:17 am »

I just got a giant bandit camp too. As soon as I realized how many are there, I ran like hell. Maybe another day.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 1103