Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2019121 times)

MADDOGmjb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #2235 on: May 05, 2011, 04:52:02 pm »

Ok, I made a forum account just to share this. This is the tale of the first encounter an axedwarf, Utred IronCraft. He was a dwarven hero, nothing crazy, but his first fight was quite remarkable. Sorry if this is long, but I enjoy the recounting.

Before doing anything else, our hero asked for a quest in the hamlet he found himself in. A skinner told Utred to head a half-day's march southwest and kill a Lasher who was the leader of a band of outlaws. Once our diminutive protagonist was on his way, he felt a feeling of unease twice, but found no foes awaiting him.

The campsite was located no more than 8 clicks (squares) away from a nearby hamlet, so Utred made sure to approach from that direction in case a hasty retreat was appropriate. Upon arriving at the bandit camp, Utred spied a crossbowman sentry. Blocking several bolts, he charged towards his opponent. However, a Spearman, Pikeman, Hammerman and a Lasher moved forward as reinforcements. Utred decided to retreat to the nearby hamlet and see if another quest would be given that had slightly better odds of success. No such luck. This small village wanted the same foe dead. Apparently, he was a scourge for many. Resigning himself to his fate, Utred decided to help the poor villagers, even in the likely scenario of his own bloody demise.

Returning to the encampment, the same Crossbowman was still on watch. Circling around to the south, Utred attempted to draw out a few of his foes at a time. The baiting tactic worked, and surely enough, a Spearman and Pikeman approached. Hefting his steel battle axe, Utred drew first blood hacking into the Spearman. Charging recklessly, he buried his blade into the Spearman's skull, shattering it and severing much connective tissue. Did the Spearman die? NO! Did he fall over? NO! He fought on like the wound had never occurred. Bouncing off of the somehow upright Spearman, Utred was charged by the Pikeman, who pierced his left hand with his silver weapon severing many nerves and causing Utred to drop his Axe from his now (permanently) useless paw. More reinforcements began rushing towards the fight. At this point, I gave Utred up for dead, but decided to keep fighting, rather than quit. Charging at his foe, they fell in a tangled mess. Bashing at both enemies with his bronze shield Utred fought on, mostly ineffectually. Blocking or scrambling away from over a dozen blows, Utred made his way to the first Spearman, who had collapsed from the pain of the first axe-blow. Mustering all of his rage, Utred smashed the lip of his shield down, caving in his skull for the last time. By this time, two Wrestlers had joined the fight. Trading a flurry of blows back and forth, the fight was deadlocked. Until Utred decided to get creative. Catching his foe off-guard, Utred bit the Pikeman that had crippled him in the arm. Ripping and tearing with his teeth, he managed to sever enough nerves to cause his enemy to drop his silver pike. "Axedwarf has entered a martial trance!" BEAST MODE FUCKING ENGAGED. Kicking his enemy in the chest and fracturing a rib, Utred bit the throat of the Pikeman and tore out an artery. Drenched in his foe's gushing blood. Whirling around to face another enemy, Utred caved in a Wrestler's skull with a well-placed strike of his shield. After ripping out the throat of the other Wrestler with his teeth, Uhtred knocked him down and dispatched him with a resounding curb-stomp.

Kill Count: 3

Coming out his martial trance, Utred stooped to pick up his Steel Battle Axe with his right hand (the same arm that was supporting his shield). Properly armed once more, Utred squared off against a female Lasher. After bashing her in the chest with his shield, he set about promptly disarming her. The first pendulum fall of his axe found her right hand, separating it from it's owner neatly. With another flash of steel, the Lasher's left leg was removed. Swinging the flat of his axe at the now prone human, her spine was smashed. After another quick strike, her guts spilled upon the plain where she quickly bled out. Getting a taste of the newfound ease with which he could dispatch his foes, Utred rushed to meet the next group of opponents, who were already rushing his position. Sidestepping a charging Hammerman, a blindingly fast blow lopped a foe's head from his shoulders. Hacking into an Axeman's hand, Utred wrenched out his death-dealer to sever his adversary's arm at the elbow. Further crippling him, the next blow severed his remaining hand. With this challenger sufficiently disarmed (haha, get it?), a Hammerman felt blows from Utred's axe in his upper and lower body and had his leg severed at the femur, which caused near-immediate death from bleeding. Slipping over the drenched ground, Utred prepares for his next assault.

Kill Count: 6

Seeing a charging group of a Lasher, two Axeman, a Hammerman and a Pikeman, Utred hefts a maul dropped from one of his previous foes. Hurling it end over end, it smashes into the Pikeman, exploding several of his ribs. In a flurry of blows, arms, legs and heads go flying, leaving tell-tale trails of crimson in their wake. Striking down his last foe, Utred is struck in the thigh with a copper bolt from behind. Ripping the offending missile from his flesh, our hero begins a mad charge into the largest group of opponents yet, in an attempt to strike down his assailant.

Kill Count: 11

Diving at his foes, Utred reminds an Axeman of why it's not a good idea to lose your head. Sending streams of crimson through the air, a Maceman has his legs cut out from underneath before his screams of pain are silenced by a shield strike to the face. A Wrestler loses an arm and a foot before the crowd parts to make way for a towering Swordsman. Unimpressed by his rival, Utred charges at the foe, severing his head from his quivering body with a single blow. Another Axeman is swiftly disembowled and yet another Wrestler falls against the endless onslaught of steel. A Lasher is swiftly decapitated while a Maceman succumbs to blood loss, probably due to a lack of legs. A Pikeman receives a crushing blow to the chest and is incapacitated, barely breathing. Finally catching the offending Crossbowman, a blow from the flat of an axe paralyzes him from the neck down. As an act of final revenge, Utred raises the very bolt that pierced his leg and jams it into the eye socket of his prone enemy. Leaving it there, the Crossbowman dies a slow death. Another Pikeman charges Utred and misses. With a single axe-strike, he is clove in two, his upper body heading west, and his lower body heading east. Two more Pikeman and a Maceman make a final assault, but are all dispatched easily, showering the field with body parts. Finding the first pikeman that made his a cripple, Utred severs his other leg and rips out his eyes before the bastard succumbs to blood loss.

Final Kill Count: 20

Exhausted from the slaughter, Utred retreat to the nearby hamlet to rest and drop his loot. Note that all of this is without even seeing the Captain he is supposed to kill. Pretty impressive for a started hero with no previous experience that was crippled at the very beginning. First time I've ever seen a character named without killing an enemy that can be reported to townspeople.

He'll be headed back in the morning to finish the job...

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: May 05, 2011, 05:08:25 pm »

Welcome to hell!

Ok, the world finished. The green land is few and far between. I found a strip inbetween volvanoey wasteland and tundra. I'll keep you filled in.
Everybody!

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2237 on: May 05, 2011, 05:18:54 pm »

I have never seen this happen before, replace fire with killed by boogey men in a fortress. I woke up because we were getting attacked or whatever, and boogey men raided the fortress and fucked all the guards up and then swarmed me.
That can happen if you're not sleeping in the keep (room with the lord/lady/whatever). You have to be in there, not just inside the walls of the fort.

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: May 05, 2011, 07:23:15 pm »

Earlier a couple minutes ago, i ended up, after stealing a guy's pants and knife and murdering all the people in the house, ran to the south.
I found a fortress...Filled with guards. Stole a shield and an axe, and died to an Axeman inside the fortress. I was a wrestler, and he cut my arms off.
and a leg. And my head eventually. ::)

Dachande

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: May 06, 2011, 04:06:42 am »

My legendary +5 axe, shield, armor, fighter and wrestler dwarf just got his ass kicked by bogey men.

Again.

SIGH

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: May 06, 2011, 02:46:09 pm »

Had to abandon a genesis fort due to over looking the bridge being destroyable luckly I found a small hamlet for all 65 members of that old civ. shame I couldn't bury the dead.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: May 06, 2011, 04:02:29 pm »

I just made a dwarf, so i was travelling, night was about to fall so i got in a castle.
This castle was abandoned, but there wasn't animals...there were human wrestlers
Is that possible?

And my dwarf just had a martial trance in a goblin camp.
I guess you know the end
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 04:13:25 pm by Darion »

Ectanoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: May 06, 2011, 04:19:32 pm »

I found a Bronze Colossus on my super-legendary swordsman. I have mostly masterwork adamantium gear and no permanent injuries, so hopefully it will go OK.

Stats/kills (the kill list was actually so huge I had to zoom it out dozens of times)

I'm gonna go play some Hidden: Source while I think on what to do. I don't want to lose a swordsman this good... he's lived through a lot of crazy stuff.

One time I was traveling on him and a cougar made me uneasy, so I knocked it out and tried re-entering Fast Travel but it said I was near a site. I just picked a direction and started running, and I did this for literally 10-15 minutes still being "near a site" until I had to cross a river. I hopped in and was immediately sucked down 20 Z-levels of a whirlpool and ended up in the equivalent of Moria, an ultra-gigantic expansive underground cavern. I'm not kidding, it was a lot like the Lord of the Rings story with Gandalf's escape. There was even a Forgotten Beast made of flames down there.

I eventually escaped at "very drowsy" (I had come in at full alertness). It was a huge relief.

Anyway, you guys have any recommendations? I have a masterwork adamantium two-handed sword, but I've never known any weapon short of a Wambler to not bounce on a Colossus. What should I do?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 04:21:50 pm by Ectanoid »

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: May 06, 2011, 04:24:30 pm »

I guess he didn't noticed who was talking to him.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: May 06, 2011, 04:37:56 pm »

Got lost in a empty fort at night, then bogeymen.

How'd you grab someone's savestate to use their fort as loot and monsters again.
Everybody!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: May 07, 2011, 10:24:26 am »

I went to a night creature lair.
I was dominating it, but then it messed me up.
Just as I thought I was gonna die, it attacks my bowman companion.
I realize that we will both die, so I desperately attacked it.
Slash.
I bisect the beast.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: May 08, 2011, 07:40:08 am »

I've got this personal vendetta going on right now in adventure mode....

So my fresh, peasant adventurer got his first quest, the townsfolk want me to kill a local bandit. We (me and three followers) ambush the camp around noon the same day. All seems to go well, we quickly kill three of the bandits, but then the bandit leader shows up, and she's quite different from what I expected: Nithros Apexdress is a frail looking 87 years old woman with greywhite hair and a hooked nose. This should be easy. All four of us charge at the elderly woman, it actually feels like cheating.
However at the last moment she produces an impossibly large battleaxe from behind her back, and grins. She then proceeds to hack limbs of my companions, in a uncanningly efficient way.
There's no other option but retreat, only me and the swordsman make it out alive, we run to the nearby castle hoping to make it before nightfall.

Just a tile away from the castle we are ambushed.
To my surprise it's miss Apexdress, and a large group of bandits, apparently they've followed us and want revenge. They quickly butcher my poor companion. I try to make a run for the nearby castle, I manage to reach the front gate after clawing my way through an axeman and a wrestler. I quickly draft a couple of soldiers but when we run outside, Apexdress is nowhere to be seen.

I decide to take a few quests away from the area as the past days have been bad for my self esteem. I complete a few small quests, get some companions and decide to go back for revenge on miss Apexdress. So me and my five companions go back to her camp, she greets us with the same grin, and starts reciting this long list with names of my old companions, with added detail on how she killed them. When she's done insulting us, she grabs her battleaxe and attacks. A few rounds of combat later, three of my companions are on the ground, screaming and missing several limbs. my own efforts do not help much, she dodges every blow. Luckily I manage to escape with just a broken leg and some nasty cuts.. someday I'll get my revenge..
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 07:42:31 am by Bralbaard »

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2247 on: May 08, 2011, 01:16:35 pm »

Do some powerleveling, kill some night creatures or something, go brag about it, get 19 companions, and then go kick her ass. Problem solved.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: May 08, 2011, 02:21:21 pm »

Braalbard, didn't you hear?

The only way fighters like that live to such an old age is because they're really good at what they do.

Anyhow, I started another human. I was given a quest to kill a bandit and I think I drowned along the way.
I haven't drowned in such a long time...

It was embarrasing, I wasn't even wearing armour or nuffink.

Everybody!

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: May 08, 2011, 08:43:19 pm »

Used DF Fusion to take over the body of a bogeyman. Helped kill my adventurer and went on traveling as a boogeyman. Couldn't fasttravel or sleep because of the others, but I could talk to them. I eventually vanished at dawn and became deceased.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 1104