Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1994970 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #6045 on: July 11, 2014, 08:50:14 pm »

First experience in DF2014 Adv mode.

I chose to start out in a human camp with my Human outsider. The goblins were quite friendly, and gave me directions to their leader on the other side of the loot-pile. I went over and struck up a conversation. I then stealthed behind him and "silently" severed his leg at the hip. He took it quite well, fell over, and died without making a sound despite not passing out.

I then started doing the same to the other 10 goblins, who all immediately began flailing about and screaming about how horrible the situation was (It was terrifying). None of them decided to do anything to stop me for about 4 kills. After that, two of them fell asleep.

Bottom line, I scored a camp full of iron armor, backpacks, clothes, quivers, arrows, and a fancy new iron scimitar.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6046 on: July 11, 2014, 09:22:15 pm »

Protip: Use Empathy as a dump stat, not Analytical Ability.
Empathy might do something now, and it's a thing you want as little of as possible.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: July 11, 2014, 09:38:21 pm »

Every human site in my world has been conquered by goblins leaving a single human civilization with around a hundred scattered members, about a hundred humans are bandits and criminals, and the remaining six hundred live in the last elven forest retreat.

So now I am playing as a human and going all Braveheart on the goblins. I just liberated my first town and threw the head of the administrator into the market.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Del1m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6048 on: July 11, 2014, 09:44:43 pm »

Made a Demigod pikeman in a 5 year pocket world for some monster hunting. Went to the local village and some drunk told my to kill a hydra that supposedly terrorises them even though he's on the complete oposite side of the map past mountains and rivers. Trip lasted 3 days just to get to the damn place, fortunatly the new jumping and climbing can make traveling alot more fun in areas you can't fast travel, such as sprinting to jump over a canyon and failing, only to grab on at the last second before you become Urist Mcgibs. I get to the place, full of confidence, and decided to stealth towards the cave just to scout it out. Hydras have full vision circles instead of cones so that's pretty dope, and makes sense. I turn of stealth mode, ready for an epic fight, and well, he never attacked back. I just shanked him in his chest a few times and spit on him while he was bleeding out. Are hydras blind or do they whimper in fear like most other enemies ? He didn't even have a ! Encounter symbol on him  :-\                 

Also figured out that you can prevent bogeymen by making a full circle of campfires before you fall asleep.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:41:54 am by Del1m »

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6049 on: July 11, 2014, 09:45:38 pm »

So, I genned up a little world and went around just talking to NPCs for a few hours. Just learning about people and taking notes is my favorite thing to do in DF.

One thing I was surprised by when I got to the capital was that everyone seemed to know that the Law-giver is actually a vampire. Legends mode said she had "aroused suspicion" after a murder, but apparently that just means everyone knows and no one wants to confront them.

When I called her out, she didn't attack me, but instead told me she hated me and spat at me in between talking to me normally.

http://puu.sh/a7vGP/97e1ea44ad.png

Apparently, even though I did this in front of the other leaders of the town, nothing happened until a short time after I retired my adventurer, when another NPC confronted Teshil and Teshil became an enemy of the civ. When I unretired, I found that the formerly crowded markets just outside the town's keep were empty just a few weeks later:

http://puu.sh/a7vuH/f3fae64ec4.png

Also, instead of telling me about the lord of the town or even the new law-giver, the locals now told me about the ruler of the local love-cult.

I didn't really "do" anything, exactly, but did confronting the vampire lead to a real economic change?
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Rosanna Foxfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6050 on: July 11, 2014, 10:02:30 pm »

Wandering around on a relatively fresh Hammerwoman.  Two buddies are apparently tough as nails and haven't shied away from the one combat we've had so far, or the billions of goblin skeletons we're finding unburied beneath a Dark Fortress.  Lots of pits to the Caverns too, climbed halfway down one and saw a bunch more goblin skeletons, not sure what the reasoning is behind all that.  But it's rather creepy.

Edit:  Is there a way to light a torch or something?  I'm almost wishing I played a dwarf down here, i can't see very far at all.

Edit 2:  I left, couldn't find anything interesting, or remotely like what I was looking for.  So I went to a dwarven fortress ruin that the Legends said had been raided by a Forgotten Beast.  I snuck through, and lost my crossbowman to the Forgotten Beast.  I snuck behind it and buried my silver hammer in it's skull about thirty times before it died, then I dragged it's corpse to a nearby dwarven fortress.  Took it up to the trade depot, and then threw it against the wall, bragging about how I killed it.

I then went back to my original mission, slaughtering a bandit camp (which consisted of only two Commanders, so I dunno what's going on there,) and doing similar things at my starting town.  Throwing the two bandit corpses against the mead hall's interior walls and shouting my success.  Dunno what I'll do next, maybe look for another ancient ruin to uncover, or use the Legends to find one of those slabs.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:04:51 am by Rosanna Foxfire »

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6051 on: July 12, 2014, 12:13:41 am »

Ladies and Gentledorfs, I would like for you to meet a very special human who has survived what can only be described as stupid bullshit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Uja "Paddledchurch" was just your regular .34.11 demi-god Lasher (hush, I know I'm a wussy. I just started. A real character anyway.) when one day he decided to go adventuring.  He went around town gathering friends (A maceman, a lasher, and a Pikeman) and some equipment (a whole buncha shit made out of sharks and hard leather. I'm wearing like four coats, two pants, two gloves, and two boots somehow. And a bitchin Hard Leather Armor. Everything is of varying quality, all good. I don't question it.) and then asked for some targets.

The townspeople told me of a goblin warlord, a vampire with EXACTLY 666 kills, and four night-creatures that are over a FUCKING MOUNTAIN that are somehow terrorizing them. Right okay, as long as I have something to do. I head towards the night creatures and discover mountains are fucking annoying to cross without quick-travel. Dumbass maceman OHK an alligator and pisses off its mate. I have to rush over and incapacitate it before Crocodile Dundee gets eaten. The entire party spends about 10 minutes real-time beating the crocodile to death. We then take a rest to let the idiot stop bleeding. Our nap is interrupted by an UNKINDNESS (that's a flock of Ravens) that try to EAT the mace-man. So I get up and half-awake bulldoze over one of the attacking Ravens. Most of them fly away, but three stay behind to fight. They get their asses torn apart, but manage to bite the maceman enough to "give into the pain." So I decide I'll COMMAND WAIT for him to wake up.

NOPE. Maceman was whisked away by the game for being unconscious during what I guess could be called a "loading screen."

Well, I continued on with my remaining piker and lasher. After a little while, it gets dark and we turn in for the night only to get ambushed by a small group of goblins. That is, 3 macemen, and a swordsman with possibly one other unit I forgot about. I get the lovely scar mentioned in the picture and the lasher gets the absolute shit beat out of him while the Pikeman cleans house. We kill everything and I get a new iron shield, and then we mope a few tiles away to rest again. After the nap, everyone's fine and we follow a mountain road.

On either side of the mountain road there are meadows with weasels, yaks, wolverines, and keas.

F.U.C.K.

My party members go completely mad and run off in every direction to kill everything they see, and I can't wait to look in legends mode to see how far they got, if I can remember their names. I keep walking thinking they'll catch up, the pikeman teleported to me once after I quick-traveled in a small forest spot. NOPE. They disappeared too, so I was alone. Luckily, I was in the mountains and didn't have to worry about boogeymen, so I made my way back to a fortress to get less retarded help.

The only problem was that night, after surrounding myself with campfires, TEN FUCKING NIGHT CREATURES SWARMED ME. Four of which were indeed the quest targets. Luckily, ol' Uja is faster than hell so I dodged a "Horned Man Child" onto one of the campfires and then sprinted for my life.

I made it back to a nearby fortress and got some more help. That's where the tale ends for now, but I expect more bullshit when I go back to the nightcreature cave, and when I go after the 666 vampire.
When the adventurer is told there is no more need for them, when there are no more targets to kill, why do they act surprised when our "hero" turns towards them and says "No"?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: July 12, 2014, 12:19:39 am »

Dwarves. Millions of them.

I think an entire dwarven army decided to jump me in this one. They all claimed to be soldiers but I couldn't find any kind of leader (side note: what does a general look like? Noble or a weapon master?) and they just surrounded me. I accidentally moved and they all put away their weapons, about to kick my ass. I immediately yield and they all start spitting on me. This is the point where I stand up and sprint for the house to the north.

I scale the wall and run across the entire building until I reach the end. As I run, I see the humans in all the houses climbing up the walls for some reason and others running for the hills. Half the army routs for no apparent reason. I decide to fight! My first victim is a speardwarf climbing up the house, whose fingers I stomped on until he blacked out and fell off the wall. I climb my way down and get into a fistfight with a hammerdwarf (while an axedwarf is hanging right above me, throwing punches) until I accidentally escalate the fight to lethal by biting the hammerdwarf.

I had dropped my copper halberd when they surrounded me earlier, so I had to think of something: I reached up, caught the bismuth bronze axe flying at my head from the dwarf on the wall, and took it to the hammerdwarf's face and chopped his head off. I then cut off the axedwarf's leg and knocked him off the wall before tearing into his chest and killing him. The speardwarf I KO'd earlier is still passed out, so I chop off his head. A macedwarf runs in and puts up a pretty solid fight - blocking a good number of my attacks - before I take off a leg, an arm, and his head. Then three swordwarves charge in with a couple other guys as backup. I turn to sprint away because I knew I would die. A hammerdwarf knocks me across the head, KO's me, and splatters my brain all over the dirt with his hammer. RIP.

I have no fucking clue what happened here but it was awesome and I love this release.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6053 on: July 12, 2014, 12:31:09 am »

Dwarves. Millions of them.

I think an entire dwarven army decided to jump me in this one. They all claimed to be soldiers but I couldn't find any kind of leader (side note: what does a general look like? Noble or a weapon master?) and they just surrounded me. I accidentally moved and they all put away their weapons, about to kick my ass. I immediately yield and they all start spitting on me. This is the point where I stand up and sprint for the house to the north.

I scale the wall and run across the entire building until I reach the end. As I run, I see the humans in all the houses climbing up the walls for some reason and others running for the hills. Half the army routs for no apparent reason. I decide to fight! My first victim is a speardwarf climbing up the house, whose fingers I stomped on until he blacked out and fell off the wall. I climb my way down and get into a fistfight with a hammerdwarf (while an axedwarf is hanging right above me, throwing punches) until I accidentally escalate the fight to lethal by biting the hammerdwarf.

I had dropped my copper halberd when they surrounded me earlier, so I had to think of something: I reached up, caught the bismuth bronze axe flying at my head from the dwarf on the wall, and took it to the hammerdwarf's face and chopped his head off. I then cut off the axedwarf's leg and knocked him off the wall before tearing into his chest and killing him. The speardwarf I KO'd earlier is still passed out, so I chop off his head. A macedwarf runs in and puts up a pretty solid fight - blocking a good number of my attacks - before I take off a leg, an arm, and his head. Then three swordwarves charge in with a couple other guys as backup. I turn to sprint away because I knew I would die. A hammerdwarf knocks me across the head, KO's me, and splatters my brain all over the dirt with his hammer. RIP.

I have no fucking clue what happened here but it was awesome and I love this release.

Ill tell you what, you lucky bastard, not a single one of those dwarves had a ranged weapon, I can tell because your story wasn't a sentence long.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6054 on: July 12, 2014, 12:33:20 am »

Ill tell you what, you lucky bastard, not a single one of those dwarves had a ranged weapon, I can tell because your story wasn't a sentence long.
There were a lot, actually. I count at least thirteen in the mass at the beginning. My salvation was their spines of jelly that made them all break and run off into the wilderness before the fight went lethal.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6055 on: July 12, 2014, 01:20:44 am »

Had an elf infestation in my world, so a friend and I started two different saves. Apparently, I got appointed as lord over the elves, and as I was wandering, I got attacked by a single swordsman (human) who managed to knock me out, blind me, break a bunch of bones, prevent me from ever standing again, and when i wake up, all i hear is him screaming "save me!"... My adventurer now is retired from adventuring after gonig blind and now sits as lord of the elves he went out to destroy
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6056 on: July 12, 2014, 01:35:39 am »

Myself and all the NPCs in the area suddenly ended up covered in dwarf blood from head to toe, as soon as I loaded in.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6057 on: July 12, 2014, 06:04:05 am »

Just got home, downloaded .02 and genned my first world on my own computer.
It has an ocean called the 'ocean of strokes' and an elvish adventurer named Mame Sunsfreckles, who had his legs smashed up by a night creature many years ago, then went on to slay a badass* dragon. I want to track this guy down and team up for some monster slaying, buddy movie-style.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*Well, it presumably wasn't fully-grown, but it had still killed a lot of people.

Well, this should be fun. Going to start in the forest retreat Mame lives at.

A suitably badass name for this character... and "Vafice Foggytails the Raptor of Drinks"? Holy shit, that sounds awesome.
* Yoink turns up the volume on Down and commences his adventure!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6058 on: July 12, 2014, 06:57:29 am »

I think i nearly killed a whole goblin site, cleared all the towers like this one :

then destroyed the main gobling fort (that had only bunch of trolls inside).

It basically shows how currently utterly broken Stealth and enemy AI can be : my character started with only Competent at Ambusher skill, and not a single goblin and troll reacted to him bringing hammer destruction on their civilization, they knew i was there (as the gobs were talking about me having attacked etc..) but they never fought back.

My character would have been Grandmaster or Legendary at the Ambusher skill it could have made sense, but "Competent" being able to do that is very broken (and i guess the problem would still happen even with no Ambusher skill).

But the good news is that most of those problems have been reported already (and are more than easy to reproduce as it happens all the time regardless of the enemy and situation) so hopefully one of the incoming bugfixed version will deal with the problem.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 07:00:21 am by Robsoie »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: July 12, 2014, 09:07:38 am »

Oh man, this adventurer is doing pretty well!
'Rofa Cyclonemysteries the Named Dawn-Crescent of Lamentation' is his full name and title. All of that was random, too. :o

Anyway, he's fought and killed a bunch of goblins, so far- the first batch of those were mostly through abusing the stealth mechanic whilst attacking a bandit camp, but when he and his two elvish companions took a nap after slaughtering and looting the group of bandits, they awoke to a rain of arrows from the trees above.

I didn't realise where my buddies were being shot from, at first- I jumped up and quickly took cover as an arrow pierced one of their throats. I ran around for a moment, looking for any goblins, and then realised they were somewhere up above, in the trees!

So ensued a pretty awesome scene where I jumped up, missed a grab and fell to the ground, grabbed a tree trunk and clambered up to stab the crack-shot goblin to death from behind. I managed to do so before they could kill both my friends, although we still lost one and I found the other had run off.
Now I'm fighting some more goblins who we encountered lurking around a forest retreat- one of them, a pikeman, was certainly a tough opponent, but I've managed to bring her down with my spear when she refused to yield.
I took a few injuries myself, though. For a moment I thought I'd lost the use of a hand. D:
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 1103