Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2018726 times)

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #6165 on: July 15, 2014, 04:36:35 pm »

40.03. Create adventurer. Walk out front door.

Spoiler: Greeted by this. (click to show/hide)

As I haven't played adventure mode before DF2014, can anyone tell me how common this is?
Damn, at first I thought those were all goblins trolls and ogres.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: July 15, 2014, 04:41:38 pm »

40.03. Create adventurer. Walk out front door.

Spoiler: Greeted by this. (click to show/hide)

As I haven't played adventure mode before DF2014, can anyone tell me how common this is?

It was quite common in DF2012, but animals were not allowed into keep/market, so They were usually encountered near cathedrals/in the outskirts.

Also, sad that it's not a goblin invasion.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: July 15, 2014, 04:46:53 pm »

I've seen that pattern at quite a few human fortresses now. (Mainly cats and geese.)

I thought that was only a thing you saw in the animal commons in towns. Now I guess it's true for meadhalls as well.

The spam and lag generated by them is really pointless though. We could do with about half of that.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:46:56 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #6168 on: July 15, 2014, 04:49:28 pm »

Wait, TONS OF GUINEAFOUL?
Wow.
If nobody sees, infinite meat.
And turkeys.

Except that the lag was so horrendous that it would have been impossible to kill and butcher one in less than an hour. I wouldn't have even been able to leave if not for fast travel.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: July 15, 2014, 05:02:26 pm »

Things go well for the mass slaughtering of the goblins. I'm nearing 2000 kills and the lag seems to be going down a wee bit.
What I find amusing is that both of my iron scimitars have a very old goblin as their first kill. one a goblin vampire born in the year 33 and a goblin elite crossbowman born in the year 50. :o
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:04:25 pm by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: July 15, 2014, 05:07:00 pm »

Well, new adventure time.
I've created a few foolhardy hero-level adventurers in the same town, collected some gear for 'em before retiring again.
Now I've made a demigod to lead them, and I'll hire them all and set off on a career of banditry.

The leader of this merry little band is named simply Sewat, "The thief". :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: July 15, 2014, 05:12:00 pm »

And turkeys.

Except that the lag was so horrendous that it would have been impossible to kill and butcher one in less than an hour. I wouldn't have even been able to leave if not for fast travel.

I think it's that bug, that should be fixed in 0.40.04 coming soon
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7154

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: July 15, 2014, 07:00:42 pm »

Playing as kobold, didn't get ambushed by bogeymen, found a vault.
Gonna super-ninja-kobold sneak and get me better gear.
A copper spear is not going to cut it.
EDIT: Died as kobold by being pushed down a deep fall. Returned as an axedwarf, and suddenly nobody is there, besides this one guy made of vomit.
Luckily, he had an axe, so I took it.
I killed it with a silver battle axe.
Also, bitter vetch leaves are edible.

Elaxter

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy you don't know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: July 15, 2014, 07:45:58 pm »

Played .34 a little bit, got crushed by something or another, quit.  I wont be playing .40 seriously until it becomes stable.
Sig
You must kill yourself before you kills you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: July 15, 2014, 08:11:32 pm »

I've found the coolest bug ever.  In the northwest corner of the world, far from civilization, is a swamp.  Littered across that swamp are shrines as old as the world, and in those shrines dwell the Titans.

Literally every titan on this (maximum size) world is in the same biome, way up at the corner of the map.  My last character traveled halfway across the world to get there and died before he reached it.  My new guy from a closer civilization made it there, killed his surviving companions (and took the dwarf's skull as a trophy, as well as a lucky gold coin from a kingdom he'll never see) and now he's taming nature by force.

The scaly green sloth pondered silently even as he slew it.  The three-eyed sauropod was similarly passive.  A great blind goat fled at his approach and he'll find it later.  The eight-legged pig and the winged slug fought for the chance to kill the human interloper, with the pig coming out on top.  Istrul killed the pig.  He is the scion of Ramkal, god of Chaos, and he will shake the pillars of the world.

He took apart a blob of amber bit by bit.  The ancients will die and man will rule.

Edit:  The scorpion god was intimidating but it went down just the same.  How many can there be?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:18:56 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: July 15, 2014, 08:20:05 pm »

I've found the coolest bug ever.  In the northwest corner of the world, far from civilization, is a swamp.  Littered across that swamp are shrines as old as the world, and in those shrines dwell the Titans.

Literally every titan on this (maximum size) world is in the same biome, way up at the corner of the map.  My last character traveled halfway across the world to get there and died before he reached it.  My new guy from a closer civilization made it there, killed his surviving companions (and took the dwarf's skull as a trophy, as well as a lucky gold coin from a kingdom he'll never see) and now he's taming nature by force.

The scaly green sloth pondered silently even as he slew it.  The three-eyed sauropod was similarly passive.  A great blind goat fled at his approach and he'll find it later.  The eight-legged pig and the winged slug fought for the chance to kill the human interloper, with the pig coming out on top.  Istrul killed the pig.  He is the scion of Ramkal, god of Chaos, and he will shake the pillars of the world.

He took apart a blob of amber bit by bit.  The ancients will die and man will rule.

Edit:  The scorpion god was intimidating but it went down just the same.  How many can there be?

Do you happen to have the save before the slaying of the Titans?
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: July 15, 2014, 08:37:17 pm »

Shortly after I killed a necromancer who ambushed me (got him by jumping behind him and literally stabbing him in the back), I got ambushed by a, uh, buck naked ringleader.

Has anybody ever been ambushed by a completely naked someone? Though she might be a werebeast.

Edit: Checked legends and theres barely anything in legends, wasn't cursed or anything. I think this is a genuine bug. She didn't even attack or anything, was just travelling along.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:46:23 pm by smjjames »

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: July 15, 2014, 08:58:33 pm »

You pick up the live fly with your left hand.
You make a spiked fly chitin ball.
You make a fly chitin breastplate.
You make a fly chitin breastplate.
You have created a masterpiece *fly chitin breastplate*!
You make a *fly chitin breastplate*.
You grab The overlord by the iron great axe from behind with your left hand!
You struggle for the iron great axe.
You gain possession of the iron great axe.
You have created a masterpiece *iron sock*!
You make a *iron sock*.
How did you do that? What mod are you using?

Just a mod I made for myself.
That was done with an adventure mode enabled reaction using "corpse piece" as a reagent, which despite the name allows you to make just about anything out of just about anything, gaining a quality modifier based on the knapping skill in this case.
Here is an example;
Code: [Select]
[OBJECT:REACTION]

[REACTION:MAKE_BREASTPLATE]
   [NAME:make a breastplate]
   [ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
   [REAGENT:corpse piece:1:CORPSEPIECE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_BREASTPLATE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:corpse piece:NONE]
   [SKILL:KNAPPING]

Sky Icewind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: July 15, 2014, 10:55:08 pm »

My hammerman and his wrestler/halberd user ally who has somehow not died yet (but loves running off after random non hostile targets then books it whenever there's a bear) are currently trying to get to a place where the water isn't frozen for most of the day.

We get thirsty as hell until noon when we can finally feast. Of course I have to take special care when crossing rivers to not lose him since they just sorta wait on the other side.

The quest for the equator continues.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: July 15, 2014, 11:06:30 pm »

After getting bored of killing goblins I decided to take a break and head back to the hamlet I rule over so that I may see how much of a dent I put in there population. I also have started a war  against emus so that they may no longer plague this world, why? cause I can.

also a nanny goat became the lady of a hamlet. :o

I didn't think about it before now but I realized that the animals/race there are images/figurines/etc may very well be extinct and this is the only way to know anything about them. :o kinda cool.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:40:31 pm by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 1104