Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2016160 times)

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #6630 on: September 01, 2014, 11:28:51 am »

Meanwhile, I discovered that if you go through a door that adjoins on water, there is no way - climbing or swimming - to get back through the door.  Consigned to the water layer, I tried wandering around, fearing I might be alone forever, but ahh, a Jabberer to keep me company.  After one round of combat, for the past 15 minutes the game has been churning away with "Unconscious" superimposed on the character name and a flashing "+" on both.  I guess it's easy to cause unconsciousness through huge amounts of adamantine, but impossible to kill through it, and the game never comes up for air.  (And unlike dorfs, the Jabberer never gets bored and gives up when it realizes that unconsciousness is instant and killing is impossible.  Maybe in a few months when infection sets in...)

qgloafhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6631 on: September 01, 2014, 12:24:59 pm »

Just discovered my first necromancer tower accidentally, and immediately got spotted by the fuckton of undead in there. I was swarmed and killed in two turns, I didn't even have the time to get proper armor and skills. I'm getting pretty frustrated by this - is there something I can edit my skills with? And if yes how? Outside of modding.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6632 on: September 01, 2014, 03:21:33 pm »

It's not much the skills that killed your character but the lack of armor
The first move to do for survivability is fetching armor items from castles/fortresses and equip the best on every parts of your character body.

And playing as human, as currently (that should hopefully change slightly for 0.40.11) only human-sized armor are available on every sites, so elves and dwarves need to hunt other short people (or trade with them) in order to put their hand on armor sized items for them, while human can just visit a place and take everything he needs.

Having good armor makes really an enormous difference in you surviving an open battle or dying in a few turns. And undead pack a very strong punch, you really don't want to wear a shirt and a loincloth when fighting them, without armor an undead punch or kick can be enough to render you unconscious, leading surely to death.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: September 01, 2014, 03:32:32 pm »

It's not much the skills that killed your character but the lack of armor
The first move to do for survivability is fetching armor items from castles/fortresses and equip the best on every parts of your character body.

And playing as human, as currently (that should hopefully change slightly for 0.40.11) only human-sized armor are available on every sites, so elves and dwarves need to hunt other short people (or trade with them) in order to put their hand on armor sized items for them, while human can just visit a place and take everything he needs.

Having good armor makes really an enormous difference in you surviving an open battle or dying in a few turns. And undead pack a very strong punch, you really don't want to wear a shirt and a loincloth when fighting them, without armor an undead punch or kick can be enough to render you unconscious, leading surely to death.

I had an adventurer get brained with a leather cloak once while fighting some peasant skeletons and he had a superior or excellent quality iron helmet. So, sometimes even wearing armor doesn't save you.

And yes it was a leather cloak, killed me like it was made of lead or something.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: September 01, 2014, 03:47:48 pm »

None ever said armor made you invulnerable, but fact is that having good armor will save your life a very lot much more than having only your starting equipment on yourself.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6635 on: September 01, 2014, 07:03:24 pm »

Just discovered my first necromancer tower accidentally, and immediately got spotted by the fuckton of undead in there. I was swarmed and killed in two turns, I didn't even have the time to get proper armor and skills. I'm getting pretty frustrated by this - is there something I can edit my skills with? And if yes how? Outside of modding.

My feeling is part of why you died is stats (in your skills and attributes), part can be equipment, part is knowing how NPCs fight, what type of NPC,  and if should you even be there (why not? Death will find us soon enough).

The short term answer to your skill/attribute issue is to powerlevel. Find small animal, have several shields equipped. Get it to attack you. Macro this. Hopefully when doing this you added no points to shield/dodge/observer during character creation as these 3, which are arguably the most important skills, will "naturally" grow during the powerleveling. Your attributes will all grow to their maximum as well. Big defensive stats will keep you alive. Big offensive stats can now be grown leisurely. Equipment is no longer an issue.

The long term answer is to learn generally what you can do, and what you are not yet strong enough to do, avoid those things, until you can. Dying helps tell you where this boundary is, but sometimes you'll just die repeatedly and learn very little. The persistence of unreflective losing is useless.

Combat is just stat comparison. There are not a large number of tactics as lone NPCs rush wildly into a fight, and groups swarm around their target(s). This is where powerleveling and savesumming become useful learning tools, not an end, a means to know where, because now you can begin to approximate what is good enough, particularly if for some reason your character has not grown progressively to meet the stat strength of your opponents. Obviously if you powerlevel a huge untouchable monster character, the only thing learned is you can't be killed. Sometimes what's useful is making an experimental character (or are all characters experiements?) who can be used fight and die against, say a necromancer's tower. But here you can also try savescum to redo the fight with slightly higher stats. However you want to do this works, but powerleveling is a faster way to see this through. Incrementally increase stats by one level up, say adequate to skilled, or skilled to proficient. Over time you learn to not powerlevel and savescum, that the average soldier is very killable at a certain low-mid range skill, that elite melee requires comparable or to be shot from a distance, undead who swarm will kill a base level (2000) legendary once they swarm.

Playing strict rogue has a very steep learning curve since what happened one adventure may not repeat in its specifics until several adventures later and by then perhaps you no longer remember why you were even there or what was done that time before. For this reason, I would try everything.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6636 on: September 02, 2014, 07:35:35 am »

I found a zombie dwarf who still covets socks
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Its adorable, the sock is old and frayed and its like a favorite childhood stuffed toy.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6637 on: September 02, 2014, 04:44:25 pm »

I found a zombie dwarf who still covets socks

Its adorable, the sock is old and frayed and its like a favorite childhood stuffed toy.

Adorable until you get beaten to death with it. Did the sock have any kills?

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6638 on: September 03, 2014, 08:04:06 am »

Today I found out that you can have your retired fortress as your starting location when playing an adventurer from the same civilisation as your fortress.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Yrrejistan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6639 on: September 03, 2014, 12:07:51 pm »

Started a new adventure as a mantis man in an Elven retreat. I could not for the life of me find any animals to eat, so I've adopted a strategy of sneaking up on elf peasants going on strolls, snatching their feet off with my forelimbs and then spearing them in the brain. I then proceed to feast on the slaughtered elf peasants and go back to the retreat to brag about it.

It is terrifying.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6640 on: September 03, 2014, 12:15:29 pm »

Well I finally found a vampire! Go me! But this bastard somehow got his iron knife into my heart after dodging a blow, then quickly slit my throat. A tough peasant just killed me... I'm covered in hydra blood... Not funny RNG... >:(
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6641 on: September 03, 2014, 02:46:53 pm »

Blast! My adventurer, Kethri Questshaken, has got irreparable nerve damage! I'll have to create a new character and try again. The necromancer filth must be purged, and my glorious necromancer kingdom founded!

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6642 on: September 04, 2014, 12:53:18 am »

Visited a forest retreat and found a couple of Elves that didn't like each other.
One of them spit at the other, and this happened..

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6643 on: September 04, 2014, 11:11:33 am »

In heading towards some minotaur lairs to find some steel armor, I visited a hillocks which had been ransacked (icon is a ruin) at some point in the past month and most of the drunks in the drinking mound are running around, coming in and out for some reason. I can understand them being skittish towards an armored and armed (weapon and shield are sheathed) adventurer in that situation, but they don't seem to have any clear reason for panicking.

Edit: I walked back outside, waited a number of turns, came back in, and they were fine.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:15:43 am by smjjames »

Zan Oltaridor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6644 on: September 04, 2014, 09:01:10 pm »

Visited a forest retreat and found a couple of Elves that didn't like each other.
One of them spit at the other, and this happened..

D-did he... survive?
This thread is why I love dwarf fortress. We start at engravings of wagons and end up using necromancy to raise them from the dead, and were-wagons.
I jumped off a ramp in a cave and exploded.
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 1103