Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2014605 times)

Capnkrunch96

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #6705 on: September 13, 2014, 05:37:26 am »

I just got the game yesterday night(I have watched a few lps of MUCH earlier versions so I do know a few things but not much and even that I cant remember that much from the lps), and I have to say my legends mode is pretty awesome. But that is besides the point. I just started my first adventure as "Kozi Agewave", and I fully expected to raid a criminal camp on my first day. I looted some Metallic armor and an iron longsword from my lord(I was a hearthperson or whatever its called) and set off. I expected to slay many beasts that first day. now It is the second day and I am alone in the wilderness, my water only drinkable and not ice for a small window of hours(I guess because its winter) and I was only able to save myself from starvation when I realized I could pick up wild spinach leaves and eat them. This stuff is brutal.

On a side note, does anyone have any tips? They would really help the "Make Kozi Agewave a successful adventurer foundation" out.

EDIT: So I just found out that this "Sole" thing in my inventory is actually fish, and not the sole of a shoe. so I did not have to eat spinach. oh well, now I know how to get food at least. also hunting boars is tough even while sneaking.

EDIT2: Also why is my mr Kozi holding his sword in his left hand and the shield in his right? is there negative effect to that?

EDIT 3 MWAHA! The first kill of many, I have slain my first great enemy, a fiersome... Tiercel Peregrine!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 06:01:59 am by Capnkrunch96 »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: September 13, 2014, 07:25:26 am »

To drink water when all in your waterskin/backpack is ice , press g , then select "Make Campfire" whatever direction you prefer.
Then press I (or shift and i )
Select the ice in your inventory
Then press a  when asked to heat the ice into water.

Now you can drink it.

You can refill your waterskin/backpack with snow (that can be heated into water when needed) by pressing I (or shift and i) and pressing a to fill the object with snow, the same as you would do next to a river to fill it with water.

Capnkrunch96

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: September 13, 2014, 07:50:33 am »

To drink water when all in your waterskin/backpack is ice , press g , then select "Make Campfire" whatever direction you prefer.
Then press I (or shift and i )
Select the ice in your inventory
Then press a  when asked to heat the ice into water.

Now you can drink it.

You can refill your waterskin/backpack with snow (that can be heated into water when needed) by pressing I (or shift and i) and pressing a to fill the object with snow, the same as you would do next to a river to fill it with water.
thanks for the tip, that is definitely going to help with water in cold places/winter.

Also on an unrelated note I have slaughtered a camp full of kobolds.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: September 14, 2014, 12:22:49 pm »

I just got the game yesterday night(I have watched a few lps of MUCH earlier versions so I do know a few things but not much and even that I cant remember that much from the lps), and I have to say my legends mode is pretty awesome. But that is besides the point. I just started my first adventure as "Kozi Agewave", and I fully expected to raid a criminal camp on my first day. I looted some Metallic armor and an iron longsword from my lord(I was a hearthperson or whatever its called) and set off. I expected to slay many beasts that first day. now It is the second day and I am alone in the wilderness, my water only drinkable and not ice for a small window of hours(I guess because its winter) and I was only able to save myself from starvation when I realized I could pick up wild spinach leaves and eat them. This stuff is brutal.

On a side note, does anyone have any tips? They would really help the "Make Kozi Agewave a successful adventurer foundation" out.

EDIT: So I just found out that this "Sole" thing in my inventory is actually fish, and not the sole of a shoe. so I did not have to eat spinach. oh well, now I know how to get food at least. also hunting boars is tough even while sneaking.

EDIT2: Also why is my mr Kozi holding his sword in his left hand and the shield in his right? is there negative effect to that?

EDIT 3 MWAHA! The first kill of many, I have slain my first great enemy, a fiersome... Tiercel Peregrine!

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventure_mode_quick_start

This guide lengthened the lifespan of my adventurers from "a day or two" to "a few days." Worth reading.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: September 14, 2014, 01:42:46 pm »

Press g and select to make a campfire. You can then melt any ice you have in your waterskin or snow that you pick up to drink using interactions (I and i).
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6710 on: September 14, 2014, 06:31:38 pm »

Sooo... Gened a pocket island with a 1050 year history, and started an adventurer. I was just wandering around, killing everyone in the catacombs and dungeons, as well as everyone with human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold jewelry (which was surprisingly common), and wandered into town... and into a battle-zone. Human villagers and Dwarvan soldiers Vs Goblins and a Night Creature. Killed a couple of gobs before engaging the night creature, doing some damage before it knocked me out. When I came to, the fighting was over and the night creature was dead. The Humans and Dwarves won. Something tells me this guy is a survivor.

Edit: Posted early somehow...  ::)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 06:43:25 pm by Paaaad »
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Capnkrunch96

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: September 14, 2014, 07:29:18 pm »

After slaughtering 8 kobolds using what I can only assume is a totally broken sneak mechanic, Kozi Agewave(forgot his title and I cant check right wnow, but it was "kozi agewave the *something* webs") traveled to the human town glimmerpointy, bearing 200-odd gold coins, 150ish silver coins and 400ish copper coins. After finding nothing to buy but food Kozi traveled to the keep and was told by the lord to kill Thram Pikulvi(I wasn't actually told his last name just his title) the human vampire. He then recruited a maceman... well macewoman(btw recruiting people is a sweet feature). Me and my companion traveled halfway across the central human empire(the striteful empires I believe) and to the town of tattooedhatchets(wut) and recruited a spearmen.

From there he asked for Thram and was told to find him at the "mead hall". Kozi Had no idea what a mead hall was. After realizing it was a building similar to that of the one where he started out in as a hearthperson, he traveled there and spent much time looking for him(half an hour in real time!). after finding thram the crossbowman I assumed it was him and accused him of being a night creature. Me and the macewoman both attacked him, however the spearmen turned out to be a traitor!(I passed it off as "evil vampire magic"but I'm pretty sure it was because the spearmen and Thram were part of the same group) in the middle of an intense battle of blocking bolts and striking him, the spearmen showed his true colors by stabbing my macewoman in the foot GoT style. then before I could react the spearmen took out the spear and jammed it through the macewomans skull.

Kozi then chopped off Thrams arm and turned to face the spearmen(though Thram occasionally fired bolts while missing an arm somehow). after an intense duel of blocking on both sides Kozi parried the spearmen and chopped off his shield arm, pushing him down then stabbing him through the skull.Then turning to face Thram he cut off his neck, and took the neck(not the head, the neck) as a trophy. then under cover of night he escaped, feeling successful. As Kozi slept he was awakened by cackling. he was then killed by boogeymen instantly. Kozi didn't actually believe those peasants, k :). Long live the next adventurer, the elf Bilalio. except wait, no he falls off a REALLY big tree and dies. oh well. LONG LIVE DOLAK ADORSORUS, HEARTHPERSON WITH AN AXE!

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: September 14, 2014, 08:05:43 pm »

Just found a night creature fighting... Another night creature. Huh.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: September 14, 2014, 09:01:02 pm »

Whelp, I'm dead. I did get 63 kills though, so that's good. No clue what was up with all the night creatures though... I killed five of the things without even leaving town!
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6714 on: September 14, 2014, 10:22:29 pm »

After slaughtering 8 kobolds using what I can only assume is a totally broken sneak mechanic
I got the same several times, i think it's due to at least 2 problems present in current version :
-AI does not react to their friends death even in their line of sight ( 8285 ).
-AI (bandit, other factions) that should be your enemy is most of the time not even hostile to you and will only react if you hit them directly (run away or fight or go unconscious/die in case your hit was too strong) ( 8239 ).

There was a problem regarding stealth a few version ago that had none reacting to you even when hitting them while you were under stealth, but at least Toady managed to correct it a couple of version ago so you can have enemies reacting to being hit.

I think that's what makes night creatures and undead encounter feeling so brutal, after the game feels "easy mode" when dealing with goblins, kobold and bandits due to those severe problems, when you meet night creatures or undead (they aren't affected by those problems), suddenly the game isn't "easy mode" anymore and feel much more serious : you need to fight (or run away) for your survival.

Just a couple of hours ago, i got my well iron-armored human destroyed by a single undead from the corpse of a goblin i killed before (in an evil region i guess with some reanimating effect), those guys are insanely strong
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:27:00 pm by Robsoie »

TsiOriol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Zombie Survival game [In working]
« Reply #6715 on: September 15, 2014, 01:07:52 am »

Wandering around a valley, killing predatory animals and bragging about it in hopes of finding a travel buddy. Though no matter how hard I try they just laugh at me for bringing up joining me on my quests, and all the good kills are about two days away over the mountains. Dang mean townspeople! ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻
Mongols: Hey guys, we are here now. We will just be over here doing our thing, and you can do whatever you all like.

Russian City-States: f you mongols

blazing glory

« Reply #6716 on: September 15, 2014, 02:35:40 am »

and I fully expected to raid a criminal camp on my first day. I looted some Metallic armor and an iron longsword from my lord(I was a hearthperson or whatever its called) and set off. I expected to slay many beasts that first day.

"Hey foul criminal bandits I'm here to bring you to justice-" *thwap* *Urist mc-stupid adventurer has been shot and killed.*

"Aha! A dragon! Surely this beast will be a true test of my skill-" *Dragon breathes fire* *Urist mc-other stupid adventurer has melted.*

"Judging from the fate of my predecessor's I guess I should train my skill on something weaker, here we go! A horse!" *kick in head* *Urist mc-slightly less stupid adventurer has been slain.*

Dwarf Fortress is brutal, your character isn't going to be fighting beasts of legend for a while, and he's going to have to fight bandits the cowardly way to avoid ballistic missiles arrows and bolts, though I haven't really played the latest Dwarf version so the bandits probably sit there and whine about how life is horrible.

And fighting quadrupeds is a good way to get kicked in the head, even the ones smaller than horses.

One of my adventurers lost function in one of his legs because a turtle bit him.

I advise you fight crabs and birds and tiny critters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6717 on: September 15, 2014, 10:12:02 am »

Fighting non-poisonous snakes also works.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: September 15, 2014, 11:38:53 am »

and I fully expected to raid a criminal camp on my first day. I looted some Metallic armor and an iron longsword from my lord(I was a hearthperson or whatever its called) and set off. I expected to slay many beasts that first day.

"Hey foul criminal bandits I'm here to bring you to justice-" *thwap* *Urist mc-stupid adventurer has been shot and killed.*

"Aha! A dragon! Surely this beast will be a true test of my skill-" *Dragon breathes fire* *Urist mc-other stupid adventurer has melted.*

"Judging from the fate of my predecessor's I guess I should train my skill on something weaker, here we go! A horse!" *kick in head* *Urist mc-slightly less stupid adventurer has been slain.*

Dwarf Fortress is brutal, your character isn't going to be fighting beasts of legend for a while, and he's going to have to fight bandits the cowardly way to avoid ballistic missiles arrows and bolts, though I haven't really played the latest Dwarf version so the bandits probably sit there and whine about how life is horrible.

And fighting quadrupeds is a good way to get kicked in the head, even the ones smaller than horses.

One of my adventurers lost function in one of his legs because a turtle bit him.

I advise you fight crabs and birds and tiny critters.
only the melee bandits will whine about how life is horrible, everyone else will fire a bolt at you. so far this pretty much great though.
oh and if they aren't attacking you immediately that's because they haven't notice you. the stealth mechanic is always on just the 'stealth' cone you put up is just a visualizer of their vision cone (and maybe a boost to stealth?).
I notice this when playing super scary monsters that aggro everyone that those who don't run are just having their faces to the wall.

there also the bit about height as well smaller creatures have a better chance at sneakin than taller ones.
though I figure knowing this won't help some players who don't want to run up to someone's face just to start a fight that might get them killed. welp time to see if being a werewolf and biting folks causes more werewolves to spawn. or modding in a natural race that creates monsters just to see how much havok that can bring.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: September 15, 2014, 08:38:12 pm »

Just when you think you're good to go, you run into an undead camel that is a master of kung fu

Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 1103