Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2023117 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #9270 on: December 10, 2015, 04:09:15 pm »

So, I generated a world, wanting to test out the new mechanics with music and all that.

Then, world gen was done in the year 258 when something caught m eye.

http://imgur.com/oIitMPh

Now I've decided that an axedwarf sounds much better.

?

You don't know that an axe is the most dwarven solution to an elf infestation? o3o

Of course, feeding them all to a dragon is the better tactic.

EDIT: Hydra guts severed: 4.

EDIT 2: 43 dead hydras later, peace comes to...Vomitpuke. Given the number of gutshots doled out to make said hydras harmless, that name turned out rather prophetic.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 05:05:06 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9271 on: December 10, 2015, 05:25:00 pm »

Does anybody feel the game is improved by an inabillity to cross rivers from the travel map? I'm travelling long distances and it's just incredibly tedious. It's not difficult because I can swim, before I could swim I could just jump across with the aid of a running start or nearby tree, and assuming I couldn't swim and couldn't jump across I'm a vampire who can flounder in the water for as long as he pleases.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9272 on: December 10, 2015, 05:30:52 pm »

Improved? I don't know.
Does it makes sense? Kinda - otherwise there would be the oddity that you could traverse a river, despite creating a char without the ability to swim.

But, somehow, I'm the wrong person to ask, as I don't use the travel map. Anymore.
I love sightseeing, I guess...

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9273 on: December 10, 2015, 05:40:27 pm »

Honestly, I would very much like if the game checked to see if you had some easy way of crossing rivers, and would let you travel past them if you did. Say, if you can fly, or have adequate swimming abilities.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9274 on: December 10, 2015, 05:55:51 pm »

Honestly, I would very much like if the game checked to see if you had some easy way of crossing rivers, and would let you travel past them if you did. Say, if you can fly, or have adequate swimming abilities.

Flying, granted.
But how should the game improve your ability to swim, if you cross the river by using the travel map.

Imagine a char who crosses dozens of rivers a hundred times (rivers, not just small brooks and creeks) - soon he should be able to swim perfectly.
Now he reaches the ocean, spots an island - and he can swim towards it without drowning.
And now imagine, that the same guy, who crosses all these waterways at the travel map, reaches the ocean and drowns - just because he couldn't train his ability.

It would be hard to simulate an increase of the ability if there is no real progress by flundering and such (besides: there would be no !FUN! by sudden carp-rushes anymore).

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9275 on: December 10, 2015, 06:04:42 pm »

Flying, granted.
But how should the game improve your ability to swim, if you cross the river by using the travel map.

Imagine a char who crosses dozens of rivers a hundred times (rivers, not just small brooks and creeks) - soon he should be able to swim perfectly.
Now he reaches the ocean, spots an island - and he can swim towards it without drowning.
And now imagine, that the same guy, who crosses all these waterways at the travel map, reaches the ocean and drowns - just because he couldn't train his ability.

It would be hard to simulate an increase of the ability if there is no real progress by flundering and such (besides: there would be no !FUN! by sudden carp-rushes anymore).

I think long distance swimming is a less common occurrence than the occasional river fording. Sure, no swimming experience from crossing is sort of inconvenient but not as inconvenient as leaving map view every couple seconds to walk a few steps, jump, swim, or flounder five for five urists before returning to map view.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9276 on: December 10, 2015, 06:29:15 pm »

Well, while I'm tearing through a nest of ettins, I'll just leave this here.

EDIT: Nice comeback, Mr. Ettin.

You: "You are a dangerous animal. You are unhinged. You perpetrated a violent attack upon me!"
Ettin: "You are a dangerous animal."

He basically replied with "No you!" I guess.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:03:10 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9277 on: December 10, 2015, 07:21:47 pm »

Does anybody feel the game is improved by an inabillity to cross rivers from the travel map? I'm travelling long distances and it's just incredibly tedious. It's not difficult because I can swim, before I could swim I could just jump across with the aid of a running start or nearby tree, and assuming I couldn't swim and couldn't jump across I'm a vampire who can flounder in the water for as long as he pleases.
That's why I make gm-editor open the adventurer position when traveling so I can hop myself across rivers.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9278 on: December 10, 2015, 07:22:12 pm »

Now that's just plain wrong.

On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9279 on: December 10, 2015, 07:50:08 pm »

Well, if he didn't want to lose them, he should have worn a codpiece.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9280 on: December 10, 2015, 07:52:05 pm »

That's why I make gm-editor open the adventurer position when traveling so I can hop myself across rivers.

it's kinda why I use GM-editor to bridge entire oceans so I can walk through them.
though it's either that or get off my butt to fix Waypoint and the travel/portal scripts so that I can warp to destinations after finishing up wandering.

though for this version of DF it's mostly figuring out how to get this DANG ADVENTURER TO BE ACCEPTED BY THIS FORT I MADE.
why is this unnecessarily harder than DFhacking it. like I know I can't just retire the person there and be done with it.
also my fort tavern doesn't seem to work in adventure mode every tavern keeper say they don't work here.

uhh word of wise don't dump loads of water from a minecart under your foot in a cold climate.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9281 on: December 10, 2015, 07:54:26 pm »

uhh word of wise don't dump loads of water from a minecart under your foot in a cold climate.

Please tell me that enough water dumped lets you create an ice block. o3o

EDIT: Muahaha.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9282 on: December 10, 2015, 08:12:35 pm »

We get it, you murder a lot of megabeasts and write on their skins.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9283 on: December 10, 2015, 08:15:26 pm »

In any other game, this would be epic.

In DF, it's routine. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9284 on: December 10, 2015, 08:24:26 pm »

Please tell me that enough water dumped lets you create an ice block. o3o

EDIT: Muahaha.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
yes it was a left over from the minecart update which allows you to fill up so much water that you create a 1/7 tile or in my case 2/7 you then could grab more and fill up a z level of the stuff.
so I return to the fort site and roll another brown recluse spider person hopefully I can get this spider apart of the fort so I can prep for the incoming goblin invasion.
also I notice if you retire a fort while merchants are there their wagons kinda scatter to weird locations.
sadly you can not dance with a wagon.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 1104