Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2020572 times)

blazing glory

Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #5700 on: April 16, 2014, 04:01:10 pm »

How'd you catch a bird?

You can pick up vermin as if they are items. Though some of them can escape from anything you put them in.

I wasted longer than I should have trying to catch a bat, since it kept flying out of my backpack.
Ah, vermin.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: April 16, 2014, 08:49:51 pm »

Started a brand new adventurer and set off to try and not die before I can even receive a title. Haven't done much of note, just running around mindlessly killing everything I'm requested to kill...

...When suddenly I notice a peculiar footnote at the end of my adventurer's title as I look at my blade's list of kills. Must've thoughtlessly lapped some blood off of myself in order to quench my thirst at some point without stopping to consider where I had gotten it from.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: April 17, 2014, 06:31:17 pm »

I've been a vampire twice and both times were accidents. I sort of like the whole 'no breathing' thing though.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #5703 on: April 17, 2014, 07:36:14 pm »

If you’ve been following Dwarf mode discussion, I generated a medium world with 402 years worth of history (or so). Having a copy of the starting save in a .zip, and given that the game will be advanced to the start of the following year anyway, and noticing that the world has many tombs whilst trying to embark a fortress, I decide to start out with a human adventurer instead to see just what I can do. Mind you, this is about the first time I’m seriously considering going somewhere in Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode, I was not expecting to do this until the new release came out. But hey, its good to get some practice beforehand!

I get a demigod adventurer with a spear, hoping to start out at a city with tombs nearby. Of course, I end up at a hamlet, and decide to travel out immediately. Close to the end of the day, I am coming up on a human fortress and town or hamlet, but there’s a river in the way. I don’t want to walk around it, so I decide to cross the river. There are two alligators in the river.

I have a silver spear, copper shield, and copper dagger, and start stabbing one of the alligators using the ‘A’ menu to select attacks. I’ve had experience with this menu from the arena, so I have a reasonable idea of what I can do.

The silver spear is very ineffective at actually killing the alligator. I try bashing with the copper shield, knocking out the alligator’s teeth, and finally resort to choking the creature until it actually bleeds to death. Taking a look at the alligator’s descriptions during the fight, damn that’s horrifying.

The second alligator goes to attack a Kea, and when I am done with the first I manage to break some major arteries in the throat, so it bleeds to death quickly. I try to butcher the corpses, a long process involving shoving the alligator corpses and teeth into my backpack and doing research on the internet. Finally, I manage to get both corpses butchered. I then cross the river.

The good news is I have no shortage of food or water now. Lets see where we can go next. This world has plenty of towers, tombs, werebeasts, and hopefully vampires as well.

Is there any place I can upload pics other than imageshack these days?

Edit: Damn, the river turns to ice moments after I finish crossing it! I need to be careful out here!
Yeah silver is rubbish for cutting weapons,and a spear is a cutting weapon,but any cutting weapon to the throat is likely to cause major bleeding.

Actually a spear is piercing, hence its ability to hit vital organs easily.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: April 18, 2014, 12:18:59 pm »

Made a new adventurer. Previous save got corrupted, he died gloriously.

Now, my current one is a dorf, obviously. But I edited raws a bit so his potential abilities, ( and thus, of every dwarf out there ) is much higher. So I can turn into a true demigod killing machine ( I started as peasant )

His name is Zon Inodekast, or Zon Gatesafety in English. ( I actually like it. )

The beginning was pretty standard. I was training my throwing and knapping at the same time ( get rocks, go to the hamlet, throw the rocks to the ground, knap them and then throw the sharp rocks again. Easy attributes, but hey ) ... but during the training, I found something weird.

There was this pond turtle that kept following me. I was like 'Wow!? I can carry him around!? How cool!' to 'I don't need him' so I begun throwing him around. But no matter what, he kept coming to me. I then understood something. Armok himself wants me to carry this pond turtle on my adventure! And I can't deny Armok's superior wisdom and knowledge! Right now, the turtle is swimming in my waterskin. ( I know he doesn't need it, but hey, it's more realistic! It's not like I need a waterskin anyway... By the way, I named him Turtley. He is my best friend. : )

So, my first quest was to kill some vampire. With my amazing throwing and my masterwork sharp conglomerate rocks I felled the beast. He killed some miner and another guy, but thanks to it I got my hands on an iron pick and iron boning knife, which are invaluable to me now.

Later on, I took a camp. During the middle of the fight, after I fractured the legs and arms of everyone who was in my sight with my might balls of rocky death, I saved. ( Just in case. And it was a wise thing I did. There were 2 archers out there! ) I noticed my adventurer has been given a title. How cool is that? I never had a titled adventurer before, so...

From now on, I am known as Zon Gatesafety, the Abysmal Ward of Eviscerators. I find it super hilarious for some reason.

Next on, I took another camp. Then I got a quest to kill a necromancer. Did so easily, as he had no zombies. ( I think none of them built a tower yet. What a shame, I wanted to go on a major zombie killing spree... but hey, I can live with it. )

Then another necromancer. He was a dwarf living in a middle of ice desert. No really, nothing. I have no idea how he lived there, but few rocks got him done. By that point, I was still a dwarf. No vampire or necromancer, cause I don't want to make my game less FUN.

I returned to a nearby hamlet, and my dorf is currently going in the direction of the capital. I'll tell you guys more once I get there.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:08:15 pm by KiBoy »
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

blazing glory

« Reply #5705 on: April 18, 2014, 07:58:44 pm »

If you’ve been following Dwarf mode discussion, I generated a medium world with 402 years worth of history (or so). Having a copy of the starting save in a .zip, and given that the game will be advanced to the start of the following year anyway, and noticing that the world has many tombs whilst trying to embark a fortress, I decide to start out with a human adventurer instead to see just what I can do. Mind you, this is about the first time I’m seriously considering going somewhere in Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode, I was not expecting to do this until the new release came out. But hey, its good to get some practice beforehand!

I get a demigod adventurer with a spear, hoping to start out at a city with tombs nearby. Of course, I end up at a hamlet, and decide to travel out immediately. Close to the end of the day, I am coming up on a human fortress and town or hamlet, but there’s a river in the way. I don’t want to walk around it, so I decide to cross the river. There are two alligators in the river.

I have a silver spear, copper shield, and copper dagger, and start stabbing one of the alligators using the ‘A’ menu to select attacks. I’ve had experience with this menu from the arena, so I have a reasonable idea of what I can do.

The silver spear is very ineffective at actually killing the alligator. I try bashing with the copper shield, knocking out the alligator’s teeth, and finally resort to choking the creature until it actually bleeds to death. Taking a look at the alligator’s descriptions during the fight, damn that’s horrifying.

The second alligator goes to attack a Kea, and when I am done with the first I manage to break some major arteries in the throat, so it bleeds to death quickly. I try to butcher the corpses, a long process involving shoving the alligator corpses and teeth into my backpack and doing research on the internet. Finally, I manage to get both corpses butchered. I then cross the river.

The good news is I have no shortage of food or water now. Lets see where we can go next. This world has plenty of towers, tombs, werebeasts, and hopefully vampires as well.

Is there any place I can upload pics other than imageshack these days?

Edit: Damn, the river turns to ice moments after I finish crossing it! I need to be careful out here!
Yeah silver is rubbish for cutting weapons,and a spear is a cutting weapon,but any cutting weapon to the throat is likely to cause major bleeding.

Actually a spear is piercing, hence its ability to hit vital organs easily.

Yeah I know,I was lazy and didn't feel like saying Edge weapon.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: April 19, 2014, 01:11:37 am »

Tried scouting a bit. Turns out my cave is in the middle of nowhere. The closest civs are elves and dwarves. Which of course means no towns.

I retired to check out the map on the embark menu to guesstimate how far the closest human town is. I'm putting it at several days away. Not sure if I should bother.

Also, it appears that some of the items I've placed around my home have taken damage for no apparent reason. I've even repaired them with DFHack, left the area for a while, then returned to check, and the items had taken damage again.

Boozebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: April 19, 2014, 12:44:21 pm »

Another modded game, I saved after I gathered my crew in my started down and went to sleep.

Right now its

Axal, a spear-wielding succubus, my character
Isi, a fire-imp hammerman
and Ngebzo a goblin crossbowman and also a former slave

I got tasked to kill a night creature, which seems easy enough. I'll play it safe and travel in a smart manner.

Edit: The idiot fire-imp threw fireballs in the crowded cave, and killed the succubus, the goblin, and the night creature. Fuckin' imps.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:53:02 pm by Boozebeard »

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: April 19, 2014, 01:16:32 pm »

Another modded game, I saved after I gathered my crew in my started down and went to sleep.

Right now its

I got tasked to kill a night creature, which seems easy enough. I'll play it safe and travel in a smart manner.

Edit: The idiot fire-imp threw fireballs in the crowded cave, and killed the succubus, the goblin, and the night creature. Fuckin' imps.

Maybe that imp wanted to make your adventurer and the other guys more hot? ;)
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: April 19, 2014, 02:08:34 pm »

Right now its

Maybe that imp wanted to make your adventurer and the other guys more hot? ;)

FRIENDS, YOU LOOK SO COLD. I SHALL HELP WARM YOU WITH MY MAGIC.

FRIENDS! WHY DO YOU SCREAM?

Boozebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: April 19, 2014, 02:12:45 pm »

I don't know his intentions, but I officially hate fire-breathing things in caves. Here's why.

I rolled a new adventurer. A human demigod swordsman, pretty basic. I started out in my hometown, where the residents cowered in fear of a local leader who was alleged to be a vampire. I recruited a swordswoman and an archer, and kicked around in houses like some sort of witch hunt looking for the guy. Upon finding him, I surrounded him with my cronies and called him out, leading to our fight where he was shot and hacked down like a cornered dog. After that, I received another task to kill some outlaws. Fair enough.

While on my travels I ran into a lair. I cautiously approached it and entered, my two original companions and an additional archer, courtesy of the lady of a local human fortress. They were caught in a lesser dragon's fire immediately and bled to death. I blocked the dragon's fire with my shield, and, through the flames, threw a knife at it, chipped its leg bone, and went for the kill. After paying my respects, I set out again, and stumbled upon what I thought to be another lair.

As I got closer, a deep succubus (a more primitive and savage variation of a succubus) ran at me with a knife, and I swatted away. I had apparently stumbled on a cavern entrance, filled with deep succubi. Apparently, there were other residents as well, as I notice a banshee corpse next one of the hostile deep succubi. I managed to stumble upon some living banshees as well. Having regional renown for slaying the dragon and the vampire they gladly joined me, and soon enough I had amassed a mob of banshees (as well as some regular succubi), clearing out the deep succubi menace in every corner of the cave. There was also a human lady inside the cavern as well, ruling with her family over the succubi and banshees. She gave me a quest to kill another one of the lesser dragons.

So, I take my ragtag band and charge towards the dragon's lair, ready to fight. Again, my companions were obliterated without any shields. I sat back and watched them charge to their deaths. Suddenly, the dragon finished off my angry mob and turned to me, getting a lucky shot on me with its claws or fire or something or other. I was on the ground bleeding, as was the dragon, I had gotten a few brutal hits on it as well. Needless to say, I dispatched it despite losing the ability to stand.

But the problem was, I was bleeding pretty badly. But I had remembered something, the vampire blood on my armor. It was crusted and dry, but still maintained its infectious properties. In a last ditch effort to dodge mortality, I threw away my humanity and licked the blood off of my armor. And slept in the lair for two days straight. Now, the bleeding has stopped, but I thirst for blood. And I can only crawl.

So this leads to my question; do vampires heal nerve damage?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: April 19, 2014, 02:21:01 pm »

[Ridiculous long and unnecessary but quite funny history]
So this leads to my question; do vampires heal nerve damage?
Nope.
In a time before time, I had a name.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: April 19, 2014, 02:58:29 pm »

Are you using my mod?

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: April 19, 2014, 03:38:56 pm »

So, my group of legendary heroes, instead of freeing peasants from dragons and other pathetic threats, hunts crabs on the surface of a frosen ocean...

EDIT: Really, I wasn't against melting of the ice... But I was totally against being placed 26 z-levels beneath sea surface in one instant!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:45:55 pm by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Boozebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: April 19, 2014, 08:02:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Are you using my mod?
I don't think there are many fire-imp civ mods. If it's the one with the fire deers, then yes.
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 1104