Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 1007

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 894250 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #6105 on: July 13, 2014, 03:51:09 am »

In my latest adventure, my Human Adventurer went to a Tavern in a Town called Stilltick, he got killed by the drunk Aztrog, i then made a new Human Adventurer and tracked him down and killed him...

But the very next day my Adventurer was shot in the neck by Aztrog's Father who was leading a Goblin attack on Stilltick... seriously!

By the way 3 days later, Stilltick was ruin full of Goblin / Human Corpses.

This kind of thing is what I want to see happening more often/sensibly. Can't wait until most of the new bugs are fixed.

Gindew

• Bay Watcher
  • kissykins.weebly.com
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6106 on: July 13, 2014, 04:10:02 am »

It happens often in the world i used in 40.01, but now it is corrupted :'(
------------Dwarf Fortress = Life ------------------
My Blog --> kissykins.weebly.com
YouTube --> youtube.com/user/redgindew
-------------------------------------------------------

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: July 13, 2014, 05:16:00 am »

I was on a long and arduous journey across most of the continent, to reach the source of attacks on these few cities(why is this place so far away?!).
I had picked up a crossbowman, who was going to be my guide to this place, and a pikeman, who wanted to be led to glory.
I'm not sure when, but I lost the crossbowman. I didn't lose the pikeman, but he proved to be entirely worthless. At the sign of ANY conflict, he would start running around, crying, shouting about how bad fighting is or something. I conversed with a couple of beastmen we came across and they complained to me that my cowardly companion had attacked them not too long ago. Also, I had one lousewoman tell me that a few minutes ago, I was attack by a lousewoman.
Anyway, just a hop skip and a jump-from-trees-to-cross-rivers away from the place where the terror lives, when I get thrown into an encounter. "Lions!" it says. The last encounter with lions I had, the lions just sort of sat there and I walked away. Instead, I figured to engage them, thinking my experience with killing a horseshoe crab, a raven, a coyote, and a rattlesnakeman would be enough.
It wasn't enough. I got the lion to critical, but unfortunately my finishing blows refuse to connect, resulting in me getting mauled to death. The lion slowly went back to its friends after the kill.
And what was my companion doing? Lying on the ground, likely in the fetal position, thumb in mouth, crying. What a coward.

I'm a little miffed because of how obnoxiously slow it is to overworld travel. Also, why are these places so far away?! Every quest I got involved a continent-wide march into the unknown.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: July 13, 2014, 09:11:58 am »

I've been trying to play a human bowman, i started by recruiting a maceman in my starting castle, took a few more arrows from bags in the castle and went to a lair that my lord pointed to.

There we quickly discovered the lair entrance , and at the same time the night creature appeared nearby (appeared to be some kind of troll ).
The thing rushed toward us and battled the maceman.

I was shooting arrows that nearly all landed. But without killing as i noticed sometime enemy can either be die or get unconscious in a single shot or they can take hundred of arrows without much problem.
I even got a couple of arrow sticking into the creature head, again without much problem for the thing that proceeded to kill the maceman.

Then despite it was full of arrow, the creature started to run after me, at the same speed i was.
I decided to press S -> Sprint in the hope to make distance, and it did, each time i got 6 tiles or ranges, i shot an arrow, then sprinted back until 6 range etc...
At some point the creature fell down from a lucky arrow, i believe the thing had at least 25 arrows wounds some from copper and some from iron arrows (i spent a whole quiver and was in the middle of another one) and several of them stuck in the body.

I thought it would be good, and shot more, then suddenly the thing just stood up again and ran after me at full speed.
This time after trying to sprint, i noticed the "Tired" mention.
And  it was a very bad time as the creature managed to get in contact.

I took my large dagger and obviously (murphy's law prove true again) missed , the creature then punched me unconscious on its first try, and while i could do nothing utterly annihilated my character.

I don't know what kind of night creature that thing was but having no problem to deal death despite being really filled with arrows, it was something really strong.
What a difference with the night creature i one-shotted with an arrow through the brain on a previous character.
« Reply #6109 on: July 13, 2014, 03:25:38 pm »

Zombies are incredibly fast in this version. They should be slow and shambling... At least they're mine.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: July 13, 2014, 04:42:09 pm »

made dwarves outsider playable. made a  monster island. meat is easy to get from the beach, and there is a glitch where my dwarf is not injured now, but is always leaving a trail of blood from a fall he healed fully from. always enough in a pool for him to drink. it is almost as if it is Armok's blessing.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: July 13, 2014, 04:52:39 pm »

My first adventurer on 0.40.03 , got words about a mountain titan at some distance (a shrine from the map description) , looked like some giant mix of firefly and i forgot what else, poisonous breath.
Unfortunately for the poor thing, it couldn't do anything due to how broken stealth is currently .
Hammer being very effective in DF2014 helped too

Looks like i'll have enough food for a long while

edit : damn boogeymen, the only thing in the game that is immune to the overpowered stealth and the only thing unaffected byt the AI overpassivity problem, they even see you beyond their line of sight.
Nearly killed one (hammer are really good in DF2014) and while at 1vs1 it's extremely hard, at 3vs1 it's just impossible to survive the encounter.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 05:05:05 pm by Robsoie »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: July 13, 2014, 05:29:17 pm »

Zombies are incredibly fast in this version. They should be slow and shambling... At least they're mine.
They're actually pretty slow. Your average human can walk at speed 1, while a human zombie walks at ~.6. The advantage zombies have is that they never tire and thus instantly break into a sprint, which pulls them at 2.1. The problem there is that a living human runs at 1.8, while the next step up - a full-blown sprint - is 3.0, which tires a person out quickly.

But, yeah, zombies are hard as hell to deal with. Now you will know why you fear the dead.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: July 13, 2014, 05:39:50 pm »

Are you sure it wasn't boogeymen ? they're using the same symbol as undead, and they're very fast too.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: July 13, 2014, 06:22:24 pm »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: July 13, 2014, 06:56:18 pm »

Started a hero hammerdwarf with the intention of stopping by my retired dwarf fortress to get some decent iron equipment and then it's on to see the towering slade spire of Menacedhog before I move on to the new version.

Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: July 13, 2014, 07:24:16 pm »

Update on previous one. I attacked and it turned out to be two mosquito women?
Weird.. maybe the game made clones?

Sig-quoting that.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: July 13, 2014, 07:31:20 pm »

Are you sure it wasn't boogeymen ? they're using the same symbol as undead, and they're very fast too.
As far as I know, bogeymen are the only night creature that uses the symbol; other kinds use differently-colored s.
Personally, I think zombies should be limited to a jog at the most; when not in dead pursuit, they should be Strolling.
Zombies aren't cross-country sprinters.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: July 13, 2014, 07:34:54 pm »

As far as I know, bogeymen are the only night creature that uses the symbol; other kinds use differently-colored s.
Personally, I think zombies should be limited to a jog at the most; when not in dead pursuit, they should be Strolling.
These zombies are more capable than most you would see in our real-life media. They have the dexterity to handle weapons, climb trees, and open doors, for one. A zombie human already "sprints" only a little faster than a living human can run. They're a credible threat, even when out of a necromancer's reach, unlike 34. Although my supposed warriors not immediately breaking and running at the sight of five zombies would be nice.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: July 13, 2014, 07:40:23 pm »

These zombies are more capable than most you would see in our real-life media. They have the dexterity to handle weapons, climb trees, and open doors, for one. A zombie human already "sprints" only a little faster than a living human can run. They're a credible threat, even when out of a necromancer's reach, unlike 34. Although my supposed warriors not immediately breaking and running at the sight of five zombies would be nice.
Good point.
Thankfully, attack speed is no longer directly related with movement speed, so a swift punch to their foot will, most likely, prevent them from sprinting (they'll still crawl at max speed, though).
In fact, punch EVERY enemy in the feet. Or stab. Or bash. Or slice.
Basically, feet are the best target. Especially with heavily-armed foes - hitting them in the foot will probably cause it to "explode in gore", which causes collapse from pain almost all the time.
It's how unarmed adventurers can curb-stomp entire camps.
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 1007