Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1994618 times)

HenAi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #6120 on: July 14, 2014, 12:42:54 pm »

Apparently staking a claim on a site qualifies you to sleep in the ruler's home.
I created a new human adventurer, laid claim to the hamlet she started out in, retired her, created a new adventurer in the same hamlet and went looking for her.
Couldn't find her in any of the normal houses, so I went over to the mead hall and there she was together with the current lord. For some reason she hated me and immediately spat at me when I tried to talk to her. A random trader, also a human, I had come across in town before finding her also hated me.
Anyway, I tried asking her to become a hearthperson, which she refused. Repeatedly stating that her claim over the site was terrific didn't help.
Then I snuck up on the lord and beheaded him. When I then went up to the retired adventurer, she accused me of being a murderer. She immediately made me a hearthperson when I now asked her, though.

Previous claims in a different world never quite worked out. After killing the lord and becoming ruler, a new ruler got appointed and replaced me as soon as I started walking around in fast travel a bit. I did get one hamlet exploding into violence, though. First, I killed the lord and a few of his replacements. Then I retired, repeatedly advanced time in the calendar (made a second adventurer for this), then went back into the hamlet and bragged about the kills, upon which some people started pulling out weapons and attacking me and some others went for my aid.
In that particular hamlet, I managed to recruit a few people as hearthpersons. They still called me a murderer and spat at me, though.

Bottomline, at the moment it's often rather hard to tell which reactions are due to site claims and which are based off of other things (like randomly murdering people) and even when it's clear, the priorities are often a bit weird.
And now I wonder whether you can mod spit to be extremely hot or otherwise potentially lethal.

Edit: I'm guessing the fact the lady hated me from the moment I talked to her was due to the fact I spawned as a regular human of the hamlet, which I guess automatically puts me on the side of the current ruler by default. It seems there's currently no option to join an ongoing insurrection. But I guess killing the lord yourself and then asking to be made a hearthperson kind of works as a stop-gap for now.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 12:45:33 pm by HenAi »

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: July 14, 2014, 01:45:23 pm »

Fun fact: Those of the "drunk" profession say "Hey... that sounds like a great idea!" when you invite them to join you.

Yeah, there were drunks in 40d who would do that, it's awesome.

Fun fact, 40.03 does not handle cities with 1 million+ inhabitants very well. So... I guess this adventure is over.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

mineforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: July 14, 2014, 02:14:46 pm »

Dark fortresses need some serious optimization.
Who's born in the fortress, die in the fortress

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: July 14, 2014, 02:42:14 pm »

I had some interesting adventure in interesting worlds. :o in the first world dwarves extinct due to forgotten beasts and wars. and humans are nearly extinct only 34 left. I set out to kill the roc so that I may end the age of the roc, after a semi-long battle the roc bit my left arm and severed the nerves. I thought I was screwed at this point but I got a lucky hit and it passed out, eventually I killed it and went back to the town to announce my victory! Then a goblin stabbed me in the head. xD

the second world was even more interesting. goblins outnumbering everyone in population about 5 to 4 kobolds left and 14 elves left.
after a few adventures attempting to deal with bandits and goblins the kobolds went extinct and only 5 elves remain. Although the number of elves did go up to 15 for a short while. :o
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

YHVH

• Bay Watcher
  • Batshit Insane God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: July 14, 2014, 02:49:35 pm »

I had some interesting adventure in interesting worlds. :o in the first world dwarves extinct due to forgotten beasts and wars. and humans are nearly extinct only 34 left. I set out to kill the roc so that I may end the age of the roc, after a semi-long battle the roc bit my left arm and severed the nerves. I thought I was screwed at this point but I got a lucky hit and it passed out, eventually I killed it and went back to the town to announce my victory! Then a goblin stabbed me in the head. xD

the second world was even more interesting. goblins outnumbering everyone in population about 5 to 4 kobolds left and 14 elves left.
after a few adventures attempting to deal with bandits and goblins the kobolds went extinct and only 5 elves remain. Although the number of elves did go up to 15 for a short while. :o
I suggest you kill all the elves, so we can use the trees as much as we want.
So, now I have a moat filled with magma AND patrolled by ghosts. It is quite nice actually.

Maverick314

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: July 14, 2014, 02:55:49 pm »

Currently am escaping from a Dark Fortress after killing its demon leader and causing the human and dwarf population (numbering about 300) there to start an insurrection against about 2000 goblins... should be fun to come back and see how that turned out...

These really need to be optimized badly, almost every cell was filled with multiple prisoners (logs indicate about 300 or so on site), and was right next to a major river, so I had that to deal with too...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: July 14, 2014, 03:09:13 pm »

Hopefully the overpopulation leading into near-unplayable lag should hopefully be fixed next version :
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7154

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: July 14, 2014, 03:12:25 pm »

Went to a labryinth to kill a minotaur that had killed 11, after yelling threats at me through the labryinth, the minotaur saw me and promptly ran in the opposite direction. I chased him down, bashed his head in with my pike, and butchered him so that I would have extra food available. Also because, why not?
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: July 14, 2014, 03:15:50 pm »

I started an insurrection/loyalty cascade in a dwarf hillock.

I jumped in and punched a militia commander in the nose (from behind, what the hell) so hard that it became a hole in his face. A farmer punched him, a fisher punched the farmer, 50 dwarves standing around screamed in horror and half of them ran away.

I went outside, where most of the fighting was and listened to the dwarves around saying "A battle? What is going on?" and of course "It was inevitable".

Suddenly, I blacked out when a metalsmith punched me in the head, and 2 minutes later I suffocated.
I'm with stupid |
                      v
« Reply #6129 on: July 14, 2014, 04:41:19 pm »

I came across a village that had been taken over by Kobolds, according to my adventurer's Lord.

I arrived at night, everyone was asleep. I saw that every home had 2 or 3 kobolds and a bunch of Dwarves. I tried to sleep to wake someone up, and asked them about the ruler. They told me it was Bolbar and knew nothing about *them.* The key word being "them."

Every Dwarf in town knew the name of the conquering army's group, but not who they were. I finally asked permission to sleep, slept and awoke to all the dwarves attacking the kobolds. I joined in and killed a few myself, and the dwarves praised me for it. So I think I may have found the root of some issues with the morale system as well as having an interesting adventure.

As I posted in the conversation thread, I tried to beat information out of one of the last remaining kobolds:

Code: [Select]
You: Let us stop this pointless fighting!
Munosh Specutsi¤ur, Spearman: Death is all around us.  This is truly horrifying.
Munosh Specutsi¤ur, Spearman: Our time in The Windy Universes is so brief...  Begone fear!
You: Tell me about the local ruler.
You strap the +iron long sword+ to your Upper body.
You strap the +iron shield+ to your Upper body.
You grab The Kobold Administrator by the throat from behind with your right hand!
You: I hate it.
You: Where are their forces?  Are there patrols or guards?
You punch The Kobold Administrator in the head from behind with your left hand, bruising the muscle, bruising the skull!
The Kobold Administrator has been stunned!
The Kobold Administrator misses You!
You place a chokehold on The Kobold Administrator's throat with Your right hand!
You: We are in the right in all matters.
You: Do they have a firm grip on these lands?
The Kobold Administrator is no longer stunned.
You miss The Kobold Administrator!
You punch The Kobold Administrator in the head from the side with your left hand and the injured part explodes into gore!
The Kobold Administrator has been knocked unconscious!
Kobold Administrator has been struck down.

None of them would talk; with or without my hands upon their throats. I thought Kobolds were intelligent enough for speech? Even when they are peaceful toward me, they remain silent. I guess that's why none of the Dwarves knew about them: They didn't talk. At all. Which makes me wonder how they gained control... Did they just show up and start hanging out, not being violent, not saying a word, and all the dwarves just suddenly felt that they had to obey their silent commands?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: July 14, 2014, 04:48:42 pm »

Kobolds have the [UTTERANCES] token, which makes their extremely limited speech complete gibberish. They also don't have [CAN_SPEAK], so communication is impossible. I'm really curious about how skulking vermin that can't talk managed to take over and rule a village. How did they give orders? Stick figure drawings in the dirt?

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: July 14, 2014, 04:49:46 pm »

I came across a village that had been taken over by Kobolds, according to my adventurer's Lord.

I arrived at night, everyone was asleep. I saw that every home had 2 or 3 kobolds and a bunch of Dwarves. I tried to sleep to wake someone up, and asked them about the ruler. They told me it was Bolbar and knew nothing about *them.* The key word being "them."

Every Dwarf in town knew the name of the conquering army's group, but not who they were. I finally asked permission to sleep, slept and awoke to all the dwarves attacking the kobolds. I joined in and killed a few myself, and the dwarves praised me for it. So I think I may have found the root of some issues with the morale system as well as having an interesting adventure.

As I posted in the conversation thread, I tried to beat information out of one of the last remaining kobolds:

Code: [Select]
You: Let us stop this pointless fighting!
Munosh Specutsi¤ur, Spearman: Death is all around us.  This is truly horrifying.
Munosh Specutsi¤ur, Spearman: Our time in The Windy Universes is so brief...  Begone fear!
You strap the +iron long sword+ to your Upper body.
You strap the +iron shield+ to your Upper body.
You grab The Kobold Administrator by the throat from behind with your right hand!
You: I hate it.
You: Where are their forces?  Are there patrols or guards?
You punch The Kobold Administrator in the head from behind with your left hand, bruising the muscle, bruising the skull!
The Kobold Administrator has been stunned!
You place a chokehold on The Kobold Administrator's throat with Your right hand!
You: We are in the right in all matters.
You: Do they have a firm grip on these lands?
The Kobold Administrator is no longer stunned.
You miss The Kobold Administrator!
You punch The Kobold Administrator in the head from the side with your left hand and the injured part explodes into gore!
The Kobold Administrator has been knocked unconscious!
Kobold Administrator has been struck down.

None of them would talk; with or without my hands upon their throats. I thought Kobolds were intelligent enough for speech? Even when they are peaceful toward me, they remain silent. I guess that's why none of the Dwarves knew about them: They didn't talk. At all. Which makes me wonder how they gained control... Did they just show up and start hanging out, not being violent, not saying a word, and all the dwarves just suddenly felt that they had to obey their silent commands?
They have the [UTTERANCES] tag.

Edit: Damn ninja.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: July 14, 2014, 05:28:06 pm »

I tried to explore a necromancer tower, but it was full to the BRIM with zombies. Luckily for me, one of the necromancers wandered outside. I beheaded him easily and butchered his corpse to prevent its return. Unfortunately for me, the head itself was granted undeath, and it somehow emerged victorious in our grudge match after biting my leg to make me fall over, and then my sword arm, and then resisting any attempts to be shattered by shield-bashing.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: July 14, 2014, 06:53:43 pm »

I'm starting to wonder about the whole "explodes into gore" thing. Toady said he implemented pulping and I guess this is what it looks like. (I didn't play the last release.) So it seems like if you strike any bruised part enough, it pulps. Which is fine in theory, silly in practice. It takes little effort to pulp stuff like mortals.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: July 14, 2014, 06:56:21 pm »

Went to kill a dragon. I managed to knock it unconscious and stab it in the head until it died, but by that time it had already managed to set me on fire, so I bled to death shortly after killing the dragon. But it was worth it.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 1103