Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2019504 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #7230 on: November 22, 2014, 05:10:47 am »

After driving myself ever so slightly mad trying to jump onto trees and somehow ending up in a totally different section of land, I finally learned how to climb trees. Unfortunately, tree houses are apparently not safe from Bogeymen. The peasant residing in said house in being pummeled while I climbed back to ground and am dodging for my life against three of the little monsters.

But I still have zero clue what those two sections of map are on the right side when I'm wandering about.
I thought toady done something about that or did he fix dwarven hilltops and left elves to get smacked around by bogeymen?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7231 on: November 23, 2014, 03:48:07 am »

After that first hydra battle, and after running into a night troll on the move, cretin adventurer groups up with two new companions: speardwarf and swordsdwarf. They begin traveling south along the western mountain range.

Besides the very first encounter in this world, the cretin only fights night trolls, titans and megabeasts. Semi-megabeasts are good mainly for the possibility of finding armor in their lairs sized for dwarves and elves. Once your character has full armor, outside of narrative reasons, there isn't much of a reason to have demigods/heroes seeking them out. Semis can good for training up companions if they choose stay and fight. Training companions has the cretin using blunt attacks to the feet and legs on semis and waiting for the other dwarves to return to the fight, or bringing them back into the lair if they've fled. This unfortunately and unnaturally boosts kill count, as statistically it's possible for the misnamed Medtob Hammerfinds the swordsdwarf to have performed those deeds unassisted, but due to morale issues and just the very poor AI NPC tendency for stat vs. stat free swinging combat, it's more than likely she couldn't have done so. Similar to the real world, (NPC AI) strikers also have no answer to grappling, unless they can connect first.

When the next hydra is found, the cretin takes a different approach which is to fight in the lair. He also brings both companions with him. If they stay, one of them might be able to claim a megabeast kill, or maybe they'll both be killed, being free swingers. Their choice of course is to quickly exit the lair and fight another day than today.

The fight begins in the lair with these stats for skills and these for attributes. These skills are only slightly higher than the gain from the last hydra fight. If the optimal combat tactic is quick attack and dodge away during opponent recovery, particularly in an open environment, sub-optimal is replacing dodge away with dodge adjacent in an enclosure like a lair or a labyrinth. The hydra is quick, but not outlier night troll fast, features multiple strikes, and cannot grapple. At the right stat level for hydra, sub-optimal tactics can be used. Meeting the conditions for comfortably fighting the hydra in an enclosure seem to be along the lines of: defensive stats between talented and adept, the more general stat of fighter between expert and professional, having full armor to stop attacks that thread through your passive dodge and shield. Where dodge away can rely on just proficient shield/dodge/armor, dodge adjacent has a higher requirement. This matters a bit less with a striker like the hydra because armor and shield absorb/block fight-ending hits, but with the unarmed night troll attacking with grab, that stat comparison looks like its wrestling versus your dodge. 

The hydra fight ends rather quickly due to an early body shot that opens a major artery. Like the last hydra, the lair had nothing of interest and the group (or rather the cretin) moved on to fight an even less interesting 125 yr old(?) Roc.

The nifty thing is:

everything has been done with the same plain copper spear the cretin started with. There's not much of a reason to upgrade.

Next and last up for this character will be a dragon perhaps. Not much of a reason to seek out a bronze colossus. The time investing in waiting for a shot to bisect it is just time lost. Cretin will possibly retire and then I'll make an archer to go hunting in the world to make it grow a little.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 04:06:19 am by a smiling bearded cretin »

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: November 23, 2014, 12:47:47 pm »

But I still have zero clue what those two sections of map are on the right side when I'm wandering about.

Above/below you. Check your init.txt and d_init.txt - I forget which, but there's mention of this in there with the option to disable or resize them.
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: November 23, 2014, 03:34:00 pm »

Can anybody confirm for sure that the vault guardians are using divine metal weapons in 40.18? Because in a save that may have been generated in 40.17, the vault guardians have normal metal weapons.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: November 23, 2014, 03:47:13 pm »

I have yet to be able to find a vault. How did you find that one? Wander around until you bump into it, or did someone e tell you where to look?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7235 on: November 23, 2014, 03:57:52 pm »

Unless you have incredible luck to find them while randomly walking around the world (NPC does not tell you anything about Vault, at least no NPC since i play DF2014 ever mentionned a Vault, even if there was one extremely close to their city), your best bet is to use the Legends through LegendsViewer to be able to locate roughly where the Vaults are and then ingame explore that zone until you run into it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: November 23, 2014, 04:42:27 pm »

I have yet to be able to find a vault. How did you find that one? Wander around until you bump into it, or did someone e tell you where to look?

I use legendsviewer.

The only time I've ever had a vault revealed or mentioned to me ingame was in a civ who had one settlement left (conveniently inside an inaccessable mountain valley) and there was an army on the way, and so it was like a desperate option.

Oddly, the blurb had said that the location was well known, yet nobody speaks of it.

piffleton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: November 23, 2014, 07:19:13 pm »

My new hero Omo Knittedcats recovered the skull of his illustrious predecessor Ramstom Goldenspattered whilst his companions gave their lives fending off zombies. Ramstom's skull is now installed in the place of honour atop the throne in a mead hall adorned with elf skulls. Omo also recovered her sword which continues to be a prodigious slayer of elves. These local elves are an odd sort - made up almost entirely of pacifist bowyers who seem to have made a hobby of acquiring large packs of tame jaguars. Only the children seem willing to fight. Elves eh? Funny lot.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7238 on: November 23, 2014, 07:42:51 pm »

started with a human swordsman, travelled to another town due to reports of a criminal organization, but havent found anything, the castle doesnt have underground levels and the church was only occupied in the deeper lvls by a "captain" but he wasnt hostile or anything, so it seems im lost in the search.

leaved that and just killed the captain, traveled to a hamlet and killed an ambusher, travelled to a camp and killed all but the commander, i dont seem to find it around. strange.

travelled to another hamlet, killed by a goblin spearman. -_-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:00:53 pm by xaritscin »

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7239 on: November 24, 2014, 01:12:28 am »

Instead of seeking out a dragon as mentioned earlier, everyone travels towards the center of the map.

There was likely something wrong with ushrir Strappicks' (the speardwarf) righthand as she mainly hit opponents with her shield despite having a +iron spear+ (it was later discovered she kept it strapped to her back). Upon seeing this, it was time to part ways as impaired grasp is never good. After giving ushrir a black bronze flask as a farewell offering, we left her at a trading depot. She immediately descended into the fortress.

Cretin adventurer and swordsdwarf now go searching for a replacement in this busy middle region of the world.

At night of course, we meet a night troll. Initially the cretin was going to have the swordsdwarf wait, but she rushed in and landed a decisive blow. All there was left to do was spear jab as support and hope that the swordsdwarf would record the last blow before it bled out. This was Medtob Hammerfinds best fight yet. Interestingly enough before the cretin had recruited her, she had boasted of a night troll kill, something unlikely in terms of solo performance, but thematically sound. Narratives follow belief which is always stronger than truth.

After that encounter, cretin and swordsdwarf enter the seemingly abandoned hamlet, Teethway. The hamlet is being run by a human captain called Xaked Boldblunted and her group of goblins. Spent some time spreading rumors with the captain about the feats of former speardwarf companion ushrir Strappicks and Medtob Hammerfinds' favorable combat with the night troll. Before leaving, the cretin also included a story about the hydra and the roc.

The next night is spent roaming from various hamlets before returning to Teethway in the morning to recruit the goblin lasher, who is not tall but has incredible muscles. This, one hopes will prove useful.

A short walk northeast, in Hopefulwads, during a query regarding bandits, Gido Ethroted, the lady of the mead hall, informs Cretin Claspedgrips that outlaws from Teethway have been causing trouble. The coincidence! In the world the narrative is unclear. What goes on depends on who you ask. Had they come to Hopefulwads first perhaps they might be in Teethway cutting down Xaked Boldblunted and her group. Instead with Teethway's goblin lasher in tow, Cretin and swordsdwarf have a look around before heading out to fight a cyclops, which becomes the goblin lasher's first trial by fire.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:20:58 am by a smiling bearded cretin »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7240 on: November 24, 2014, 05:58:28 pm »

Found a vault, finally. Unfortunately it's way up in the mountains, in a valley, and my adventurer just isn't ready for this yet. Time to beat up some yaks.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: November 25, 2014, 11:05:45 am »

I can apparently hear the sad wails of prisioners a z level below me, through the ground, at a dark fortress. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not.

Thinking it was the prisioners talking through walls bug, I waited an hour to clear it out, but still hearing those.

Okay, now I'm hearing the prisioners talking to everybody through the walls, even people they shouldn't be able to talk with. This bug btw, which could use other people confirming this: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8135
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:24:59 am by smjjames »

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #7242 on: November 25, 2014, 04:34:07 pm »

Recently, on my daily titan hunting on a world with an insane amount of titans, megabeasts and all that good stuff, i found a shirne. What was so interesting about that? There was an elven body next to it. The body was from Cacame Intensewall, an old adventurer that i created. This tale isn't about my recent and awesome titan-slaying bear-destroying goblin-shredding adventurer, it is about my weak, pathetic, wooden-armed tree hugging hippie adventurer. He got a quest for killing the titan, Éthol Somethingidontremember at the Fancy Jungle. He brought a dwarf axeman with him, as he knew that it would be a rather stupid idea to do it with his wooden sword, that can barely kill a cavy boar!

Close to the lair, he had to cross a river. What is so relevant about it? Nothing, he just jumped over it. Just next to the lair, he saw clouds of foam everywhere (Due to a bug, i'm still playing 40.13 don't judge me  :( ) and heard a terrifying screech. It was him, Éthol, the giant venom-spitting shielded pterodactyl. Beware his everything! What could possibly go wrong, you ask? My dwarf axeman got scared and ran off to momma's arms, leaving me all alone dodging the not-so-deadly venom spits and bites. I didn't take any damage, so did Éthol. It was a !!!!!FUN!!!!! bad idea to face this beast using just my elven weapons. I had to go for the iron ones!

I attempted to ran off to a near human hamlet, where i could find powerful swords at the mead hall. I ran fast as shit, nothing could stop me! Want to know the ending? The pterodactyl was faster, teared apart one of my arms, then spilled my guts and finally decapitated me. Cacame was dead and he wasn't worth his name.

How cool is to remember your past adventures and what a better way to do so by spotting one of your dead adventurer mutilated body? I killed the titan without even a single scratch (With my recent adventurer), but some of my companions got badly hurt and all of them died, except for one dwarf drunk (I gave her a breasplate, greaves, helmet and a war mace), which lost her right arm, but that's another adventure  :P

piffleton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7243 on: November 25, 2014, 07:22:25 pm »

In a roomful of people, Omo outs a vampire who has killed 271, bravely slays the evil sod, holds up the human tooth crown he had been wearing and ... the onlookers call him a murderer! You just can't please some people!

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #7244 on: November 25, 2014, 07:38:12 pm »

In a roomful of people, Omo outs a vampire who has killed 271, bravely slays the evil sod, holds up the human tooth crown he had been wearing and ... the onlookers call him a murderer! You just can't please some people!

But you can still kill all of them
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 1104