Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1995211 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #7800 on: March 17, 2015, 11:58:10 am »

With one shot, he killed me. For some reason, these two companions had it out for me and anyone associated with me. I guess my sudden betrayal of that elf caused them to gain a vendetta against me.
Pff, friggin tree-hugger supporters. Should have killed them all when you had the chance.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7801 on: March 17, 2015, 12:37:02 pm »

Something happened to a number of cities about a year before my adventure began that turned them into ruins. Legends mode doesn't say anything at all about it, Legends Viewer says "UNKNOWN" as usual.

I walked into a ruin that I thought was my own civ's, but turned out to be a neighboring civ's. There was no rubble, no beasts running amok, just a peaceable population milling about chatting. The vampires there were maintaining their masquerade like good citizens of a vampire-ruled nation. No local organization, so no one could talk about the local leader, and the markets were empty.

When I walked into the keep, it was packed full of lords and ladies. There as even a law-giver there, and I figured out that it was every single ruler of that nation, all in one abandoned, lawless, unadministered city. I could claim the whole place and execute any of them who didn't pledge allegiance. Unfortunately I didn't possess a decent weapon, nor weapon skill, and I doubt I could wrestle them all, so I'll just have to come back later.

I find it highly unlikely that they'd fight back at all, if you're correct in that they don't have a claim on the site or any site.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: March 17, 2015, 02:07:17 pm »

I crossed a Roc's nest on the way to the dwarven capital. I had my elite crossbowman stand back, with the plan to block it with my shield until he could weaken it enough to kill. I didn't realize it was right above me about to divebomb until my buddy shot it in the gut in midair. It managed a swipe at me before completing its collision course with the ground, both of which I dodged, then it passed out from what was probably concussion. I strangled it to death.

That was my first Roc! I'd never seen one before even in fortress mode. Much easier than I expected, or maybe I just got lucky.

I find it highly unlikely that they'd fight back at all, if you're correct in that they don't have a claim on the site or any site.
I'm not sure there's any benefit or perk to claiming it, but I'll probably go back anyway. Rumor has it a criminal organization has taken over the town, so perhaps some shadowy cabal is now running things from underground. I can't complete my claim until I make them acknowledge it.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: March 17, 2015, 04:52:59 pm »

Well... That's the last time I ever underestimate mountain dragons. Mountains dragons are half the size of a cave dragon, can fly, are prone to rage, and come in groups of 1-5. Basically, they're flying badgers. I modded these guys in, thinking they'd be a cool thing to see in fortress mode and a cool dissuader for going in mountains in adv. mode. So, I'm a human holding a pair of adamantine short swords taken from an abandoned fort, decked out in iron and leather, with two full adamantine dwarves, and a few steel and iron ones, each holding at least one artifact piece of armour and weapon. We can take three measly mountain dragons, they're the weakest dragon! We already had a dragon and two cave dragons in our kill list. I let my two adamantine buddies run in first. They start hacking and stabbing with their spears and axes, so me and the others come in. Suddenly, the third, unnocupied mountain dragon becomes enraged. And I'm right beside him. He clwed at me, I dodged it and slashed at his right wing. I missed, and he bit off my right arm. Then I stabbed him in the left eye, but, being a dragon, having his eye reduced to a lump of gore didn't phase it. It bit my other arm off. I started kicking his head, intent on somehow winning. A companion with an artifact steel longsword lopped off the dragons' head, and I stepped back as a second had his brain ripped apart by a spear. I charged the last, who was busy vomitting. However, I got close too soon. He swung his tail at me, fracturing the skull, then clawed my head off. I could only land one stab and five kicks before those three put me down. By spamming the period button, I saw all my companions killed in quick succession, even the adamantine clad ones. Yet two cave dragons at once only lost a guy his hand. I will never bug a trio of mountain dragons ever again.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: March 17, 2015, 05:49:20 pm »

Got ambushed by a vampire Elf Elite Crossbowman. He was getting way too many hits under my shield and I wasn't getting any with my Adequate Swordman, but I was starting to get tired, so I had to, um, break engagement. I managed to get him to charge off a cliff. I didn't see the damage it might have done, but I heard "I must withdraw!".

And then a Elf Axeman vampire and a Elf Axelord vampire and Cave Fish Blowgunner vampire and an Olm Man Blowgunner vampire all hollered "I must withdraw!" Wtf? They must have all been down that cliff; is it possible he hit them all on the way down? I peeked over and saw two of them tearing off, and I know how far they can sprint with no pain and no exhaustion. I really am getting too lucky with this adventurer.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: March 17, 2015, 08:15:17 pm »

"Ok, this secret meeting of the elite weaponmaster vampire society is almost ready... wait, where's Eliye?"
"I thought he was coming with you smelly treebastards?"
"Nope, wait, do you hear something?"
"...aaaaaAAAAHHHHHLOOKOUTBELOWWWW"
*clunkclunkclunkclunkclunk*
"SECRET MEETING ADJOURNED, RUN!"

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: March 17, 2015, 08:30:06 pm »

Got into a fight with a cyclops with my elf swordsman. Almost the very first thing he does is to grab my sword, so I'm reduced to impotently beating him with fists and kicks while my companions stand off to one side just watching. Then the cyclops throws me, and I go flying at least ten tiles and crash into a tree; miraculously I survive and am only a little stunned, thanks to the iron breastplate I bought from the dwarves. Unfortunately, the cyclops now has my iron scimitar, and proceeds to dismantle my hammerdwarf companion. I sprint at the cyclops and grab the blade just before it strikes me. Then my marksdwarf gets in a good shot, fracturing the cyclops' leg, and he goes down in pain. I slit his throat and claim the victory.
Then I shamelessly loot the hammerdwarf's corpse for his steel armor.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7807 on: March 17, 2015, 09:18:52 pm »

Apparently there was a big battle between the elf vampires and the fish/reptile vampires. I came back and finished off an Axelord who was already hobbled, and heard another Axelord hollering with another Cave Fish man. Then I got into a three-way with an Amphibian woman and a Pikemaster, taking shots of opportunity at both and evading to pit them against each other. I ended the Amphibian with a head stab, and tried to kill the pikemaster, but he survived long enough for the crossbowman to come back.

Elves are supposed to be fast and agile, but it turns out they can't make a sprinting leap into a tree, continue sprinting, then leap off again. This is the kind of thing I thought about while designing fort security. Now I know my topside walls aren't adventurer-proof, but they are elflord-proof.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: March 17, 2015, 09:23:07 pm »

Just trying to move through a taiga forest, when I had about 900 sightings/fights with sasquatch. Man, this guy's weak, and overpopulated.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: March 17, 2015, 09:49:41 pm »

Then I got into a three-way with an Amphibian woman and a Pikemaster, taking shots of opportunity at both and evading to pit them against each other.
This sounds so wrong... so unbelievably amazingly wrong, well done!

Elves are supposed to be fast and agile, but it turns out they can't make a sprinting leap into a tree, continue sprinting, then leap off again. This is the kind of thing I thought about while designing fort security. Now I know my topside walls aren't adventurer-proof, but they are elflord-proof.
Playing adventure mode makes you rethink a lot of things about fort design. I'm much more aware of how the sides of my fort map relate to their neighbors now, as an example.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: March 18, 2015, 06:52:36 am »

My elite crossbowman hasn't kept up very well since losing a hand to a cave crocodile. It's not like he lost a leg, and he still has a hand left to wield a crossbow, but he's holding a *silver bolt*. At least he's not wasting that one on buzzards. I can't help but laugh at his infirmity when he tries to pick up and equip left gloves and mittens, and loses hold of them. I expect I'll inherit that superior bronze crossbow and masterwork leather armor before long.

He also lost his whole family; his wife and younger son died in a werebeast rampage, and he still pines for his abducted eldest son. I asked him where that was and it's all the way on the other side of the map, in a fortress with 5300 trolls! And the town he lived in is even further! I've played an adventurer on that side of the world, but never walked that far from home. And if he wants to rescue his son, why the hell did he walk this far away from both home and son?! This guy isn't getting any help from me on this one. So tragic.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7811 on: March 18, 2015, 10:47:14 am »

My one companion keeps going on about how he must kill this one hill titan. I decided to track it down, since it's a titan, they're normally made from twigs or brine. Shouldn't be too much of a problem. As I got closer to his shrine, my companion started flashing the same way my tantrumming dwarves do. We stumbled upon the titan, and he passed out, with a little Z flashing over him. I guess revenge scared him to sleep? This titan was actually made of stone, but we'd gotten steel weapons from the dwarves. It was an easy kill. After a while, the guy woke up, saying that the hill titan is dead, this pleases him. When I brought up the event that I killed him later, he reacted by saying it is great news. Checked legends mode later, this titan had only killed elves and a few trolls and goblins. Nothing to provoke the human companion.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: March 18, 2015, 01:45:13 pm »

I went minimalist with my hero name, deleted the first name and cleared the first compound, leaving simply "Uzin", or 'Iron'. After slaying a camp full of bandits that was lengthened to "Uzin Nepe Camu", or 'Iron the Brightness of Immortality'. Not bad; I've been given much worse names. Not so with the name of my government. "Make way for Iron the Brightness of Immortality and The Hot Buttery Perfection!" It turns out I was a member of this civ after all. I could pay fealty to this law-giver and legitimize my lordship here and now. But every law-giver was a vampire who seceded by duel, so why shouldn't I secede him and throw off vampiric oppression?

When I made a grab for him, almost everyone drew knives. He started crawling away under my feet -- that's a defacto defeat, I rule! I couldn't get consensus on that from the court, who advanced and attacked. Some of them lost their weapon hands, all of them were blocked, but they did wear me out. I managed to get to the top of a guard tower and stand on the hatch to catch my breath. Every once in awhile I'd go down, demand the lord or lady or priest yield, they'd agree and then continue attacking me. A lot of elven and human bone jewelry scattered the ramps of the tower, abandoned by the limbs and throats that possessed them. So far no one has accepted my supremacy, and I don't believe they'll give me permission to stay the night.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7813 on: March 18, 2015, 08:07:41 pm »

I finally accomplished the lifelong dream of every kobold adventurer: to find kobold bandits that don't kill me on sight, and don't start infighting at random, so I can recruit them.

Let's ignore my having given kobolds blowguns. And ignore the weird combination of an utterances-generated name plus a language-genned epithet.

I am gonna assume that giving them the [INTELLIGENT] token without removing [UTTERANCES] helps.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: March 18, 2015, 09:27:52 pm »

I'm still a devoted member of this civ. I do nothing but kill and kill for my nation. But none of this court could see reason, so the coup had to be bloody. I gave them each a chance, beginning with the vampires because they were less likely to have heirs, so I could appoint their successors myself. I gave the law-giver every opportunity to swear fealty or get out of town, but he kept running, then drifting back to the keep. Eventually killing someone must have made him fighting mad long enough for us to finish a duel. I did not feel the Quickening nor was I awarded his title.

I continued with the mortals because they had volunteered to die like animals for over a millennia for vampiric overlords who failed to make this empire great. They made the crappy bargain, and so I paid them with death. Plus I imposed a new decree; spitting shall formally initiate a duel, and should a challenger not draw weapon, the duel shall be resolved at the challenged's disposition. I wasn't well-disposed to the priests, all of whom were also vampires.
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 1103