Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2021749 times)

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #7905 on: March 25, 2015, 07:40:07 pm »

Fine. Have it your way.

Regards,
Dampe

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7906 on: March 26, 2015, 10:20:58 am »

Have dragon's gone stupid? I found one facing the wall, as someone earlier in this thread described, and tried to sneak up on it. Before I could get behind it, my companion, as per usual, fired one arrow and fled. It didn't even turn. I introduced myself to it and it didn't react. I hacked its tail once with my dagger and it passed out from the pain.

Anti-climactic. I've gotten more fight from naked hermits. It's just as well that they're pushovers now that the rewards for killing them are similarly unsatisfying. Here's a dwarven ruin, and not only is the dragon's trove shamefully poor, the so is the rest of the loot. This was the same civ that brought my fort plenty of iron, and at least enough steel to equip a unit after 3 years of melting down every scrap I could get. All I see now is copper and silver, pig tail and rat leather. No decent quality on any of it, not even dimple dye. I can't even claim an empty title that will just get shitcanned by hardcoded railroading if I live to retire. And on top of that all, there's not even a pick to vandalize the fuck out of the place.
^This is why I did the whole modding them to have 1. steel bones, 2. cool stuff you can carve from their bones, 3. staged power-up bonuses.

Well, they're staged now, I realized that since the kind soul who did the updated and original wanderer's mods had already shown me the route I needed to take since they gave me the cool [REACTION_CLASS:MEGAHEART] toy to play with. Changed them to be ROCHEART, HYDRAHEART, and DRAGONHEART, tweaked them to be balm of speed, wisdom, and might, then gave some purpose to the semimegabeast balm of strength by putting in a reaction to make a balm of power combining the buffs which requires all of them to create! :D

As I said before though, they are much scarier when there is no simple way to whack a bone and have em pass out from pain, plus you get stuff from killing em!

The world I made to test out the new balm items... I started uh...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've never spawned on top of the fort before.

Wonder what's downstairs... below the weird first layer with folks in it... hmmm, why are the lower levels of the ramp tunnel red?
What the hell, have I been playing this fort and didn't know it?

Ok, enough weird fort stuff, I found out where there are some mega and semimega beasts, so far the dragon balm of might worked properly, awesome, saw some asterisks on the map, let's beat up some goblins, how many is it gonna be?

Wait... something isn't right here...
Oh dear god, I'm glad I got a buff from the dragon before getting jumped by what is apparently an army of zombie goblins using armor and weapons?

Oh.. and one normal macegoblin who seemed very confused, appropriately enough.

"Man, you guys aren't very talkative, it's always 'nnnn brains' and 'grrrrhhhh' with you, are you mad at me?"
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:28:32 am by Max™ »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7907 on: March 26, 2015, 11:07:27 am »

I'm done with the investigation the last 3:4 characters were intended to do, so now I'm ready to try breaking open a vault. As big as this world is, locating one without researching Legends is improbable verging on impossible. The nearest one is half-way across the map, through unfamiliar lands. Most of it is savage, so I expect it to be gentle going compared to the constant vampire duels in civilized lands. It should give me opportunity to develop unarmed skills that I didn't have in the beginning.

I crossed a dwarven civ with steel! Weapons, anyway. First a miner with a steel pick; I traded him a few large gems for it. I invited along a Speardwarf with a steel spear; if he doesn't die and leave it to me, then he'll be especially valuable to keep around. I got bored with waiting for a woodcutter to wake up so I could trade him for his steel axe. So went into sneak, wrestled it, took possession of it, and lurked away without ever waking him. I never tried stealing from sleeping people before; good to know it works. There was one witness who panicked a bit, but after I calmed him down, he greeted me with, "Been in any good scraps lately?" I guess it was accepted as a minor misdemeanor.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7908 on: March 26, 2015, 12:36:52 pm »

As I already wrote in the facepalm thread I started in a human civilization located in a dark fortress which is surrounded by some dark pits inhabited by full goblin civilizations.
I finally managed to cross these lag fested zones (2 hours of patiently clicking - I didn't want to use a macro since I feared it would result in a crash) and went into travel mode.
Suddenly I was ambushed by a wandering group of some elves.
The arrow in my chest convinced me that they were not friendly at all.
I turned to run to nearby trees.
Nice plan but elves can shoot really well.
Arrow in my head.
Adventure over.
Two hours of pointless clicking and nearly two minutes of an actual gameplay.
Fun times...

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7909 on: March 26, 2015, 12:47:53 pm »

Goblin pits/fortresses. Just don't.
One wheel short of a wagon

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: March 26, 2015, 01:13:25 pm »

I know.
I just have a bad habit of not retiring a fresh adventurer since I could never use him at a later time because of his home site. I would ever see his name at the civ-screen right at the start. I could have let him die by the hands of his 3 comrades located at the same area, but I have the feeling he would have succeeded in killing them (and by my luck he would have lost a leg or two and therefore would have had to crawl... this sounds like more than two hours of click-fun).
On the positive side: One of the elves had a nice steel axe.
And I now know his name...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:15:29 pm by SaD-82 »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7911 on: March 26, 2015, 02:03:58 pm »

>.>

<.<

It can cause weird effects if you don't turn it back afterwards, but if you've got a legends export of the map you can hit p to get the world sites and pops file, pulling it up you will get a list of different sites and pops and they will be numbered. Find the listing for the pit/fortress you're in and trying to move through.

If you then put that number -1 into the brackets at the end of this: gui/gm-editor df.global.world.world_data.sites[] it will pull up a gm-editor screen for the site and you can do useful things like go down to inhabitants and you'll see the race number for goblins and a count of like 1000, drop it to 100, go to animals and you'll see the race number for trolls and ogres maybe, the max will be like 100000001, set it down to 100, set minimum to 10 or 1 or something.

Lastly, if you are trying to travel, change the site type to like 4 for forest retreat, travel through, then pull it up again and set it back to type 1 for dark fortress.

BE CAREFUL DOING THIS, gm-editor comes with no safety net.

I'm still not sure what to do to make you able to travel through pits, I think Rum knows which flag does that, it's weird because you can go through areas that have trenches  in towns, but not a pit?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:33:53 pm by Max™ »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7912 on: March 26, 2015, 03:55:25 pm »

Just encountered a random asterisk with no interest in ambushing me, so I stopped on its tile and found it to be a random elf bowman, who, rather than being "On an important mission" was "Travelling to Mortalrained in search of work." That's not something I've seen before, how common is it?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7913 on: March 26, 2015, 04:01:19 pm »

I see that pretty regularly actually, non-ambushing asterisks far from towns tend to be that and occasionally snatchers (looking for treasures beyond measure and mention of "freeing children" both screwed me up and I let em go) though I've seen in town guard patrols which don't ambush, and the campers too.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7914 on: March 26, 2015, 05:11:23 pm »

It can cause weird effects if you don't turn it back afterwards, but if you've ...

That should prove quite handy, since the nearest other playable civ (minus goblins) is located half across the world.
It would be a pain to travel just to get my revenge - therefore another char from the same human civ can go on an elf hunt.
Thanks a lot.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7915 on: March 26, 2015, 07:42:32 pm »

Travelled through hell for quite a bit in hopes of finding a vault. Crossed an ocean while travelling down there and then headed to the nearest Goblin fort in hopes of finding a way out - and while I found the spire, once again it had no connection between hell and overworld ... so I had to sadly tweak it with tiletypes to not have to find another way for getting out of that gloomy place.

But actually the most interesting thing I found was when I was looking around using "reveal" (to see whether I was still under the ocean, which I still was) - I found a part of the 2nd cave layer having a lava pool and a big part of the layer had grass growing on the floor! Actually looked quite nice being underground and having all the other underground plants growing there, didn't know this was possible.

I checked on the locations of vaults in this (large) world later and found out that I could've looked for (probably literally) ages without ever finding one as they are not just rather rare, but also the closest is quite far away from where I was looking. Good thing that I decided to actually go and check via the legends overview...
I vented my frustration in the Goblin fort where I emerged into the light of day once again, my adventurer's kill list is getting longer and longer...if only my companion didn't oppose to me having an army of undead, maybe I should finally dispose of him, keeping him alive throughout the gloomy place was already quite some hard work, mostly because he decided that the candy clothes (of masterful quality) I made were not adequate for him and decided to put on his leather clothes as soon as he disappeared from my screen for a second...maybe once those have rotten away I will try giving him new metal clothing.
That is ... if he doesn't die (?!) of Thirst first - no idea how to make him not Thirsty anymore.

(Oh, and if you got 50+ (or more?!) Goblins surrounding you, don't try to aim attacks ... it will crash the game.)
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7916 on: March 26, 2015, 08:45:00 pm »

;_; my awesome adventurer just got mauled by a single zombie goblin.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:00:38 pm by Dampe »
Regards,
Dampe

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7917 on: March 26, 2015, 09:08:58 pm »

My companions survived the wilds only to die in town -- towns are just fucking rough here. The axeman died to a slapfight I got into with a priest, and apparently he escalated. I took the priest's knife away, stepped out to the courtyard for just a moment to heat my waterskin, and another priest had killed him. So now I have another steel axe, one with a history on it. I outed the priest for being a vampire and slew him, but the other priests remained sore.

And why did I get in a slapfight with a priest? They were offended that I killed the bride of the dark horror crouching in the wall. Apparently he was a resident; how was I to know? I climbed up there to see what it was, and he tried to stick a fork in me. Now I have a copper fork to go with my knife. Cannibal akimbo.

The speardwarf I lost after we were ambushed by 2 vampires, who then fled separate directions. He followed the serpent man, I followed the olm man. And as usual, the olm man turned to attack when no one else was with me, so I assume that happened to my companion. I still haven't found his body, or the steel spear. I'll have to generate another Legends to solve the mystery.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7918 on: March 26, 2015, 10:09:44 pm »

My companions survived the wilds only to die in town -- towns are just fucking rough here.

Dude, tell me about it. I generate my worlds with high savagery, lots of monsters, and 1050 years of history, which can make a trip into town quite fun. There'll be zombie goblins or Christ knows what else raiding the market place and slaughtering merchants indiscriminately, and I have no idea where they're all coming from, but it's scary.
Regards,
Dampe

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7919 on: March 26, 2015, 10:58:04 pm »

Colossi don't climb walls, they run up them. I climbed a tree ninja-like and lept to one of the pillars. When I looked down, where he was standing was obscured behind another pillar. I pulled myself on top and suddenly there was a red radius only 2 zlvls down. I hit the advance button, and as suddenly he was right beneath me. I jumped to another pillar and shimmied to the ground to get ready for him. He doesn't come down as quickly; you'd think gravity would be on his side for that, but I danced circles around him while waiting for him to get back to the ground.
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 1104