Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2019131 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #7935 on: March 29, 2015, 08:00:00 pm »

Entering an elvish area all ruined by the Great UNKNOWN of 1056, with a single Dark Pits on one end and trenches around every Retreat. Razlo worked up the courage to attack and kill a goblin engraver in the pits, and earned the name Decaysmouldered. And I knew then he was fated to die soon. And sure enough, the next settlement, while I was getting directions to the surrounding areas, he was killed by an elf. I don't even know who started it. Oh well, his names shall carry live on in this masterworked spear I now bear.

I'm near a Vault and have it on my map. There are also gloom hag lairs scattered around that I can hone my skills on more before the attempt. There's also a dragon; I don't expect that to be a real combat, but I can add it to my list of brags.

As i noticed i never ever tried to walk up to a mountain peak, i decided to give a try to check if there was something to see up there.

Very nice to see this being actually noted in legends.
Yup. I embarked once on a volcano that my adventurer scaled the summit of, and it was all over their artwork, especially in the beginning when they had no other history to engrave.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7936 on: March 30, 2015, 03:57:31 am »

So after apologizing to the locals for the terrible mess out front (over a hundred bodies) I headed to the fortress where all the kidnappings were supposed to have been sourced from and got a happy reunion:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then I heard from them that there were some bandits nearby who were harrassing folks, en route I bumped into an asterisk... "You feel uneasy" it says to me.

*looks up at ~170 undead surrounding me*

"Hey, uh, would you believe I'm the captain of the local "gosh we love undead" club, and was wondering if you all would be interested in attending one of our luncheons?"

"I'll mark that down as a 'maybe' then?"

*escapes and finds the camp, beating up some assorted goblin and human thugs should be a nice change from my surprise zombie apocalypse just now*

...is that really necessary, Mr. Necromancer-on-a-campout? Frickin' towers rarely have more than 100 undead, what do you have here, something like 200 zomblins? Are there even that many living goblins left on this world? Come on!

I forgot to grab a screenshot because it kinda took me by surprise, but I decided to investigate the "army on the march" rumors and figured out the army being discussed belongs to a queen kogan... the very same queen kogan who was in the same room I started out in... and the other option was for a goblin named ithral or something who was apparently ALSO living in the fortress I started out in... but hey, whatever, I head to the fortress they're marching on and find some dorfs I know following me on the travel map so I do the "approach from the west > clip inside" trick and end up leading a surgical strike on the central tower and adjacent mini-towers with my little squad of a two axe dorfs, a hammer dorf, spear dorf, and I think two crossbow dorfs. I noticed that they were all astounded by my fame and such, but didn't want to recruit them entirely so I just made use of the asterisk following me to place them by the fortress and then went and took out the leaders before herding the civilians from the nearby towers towards them. Fun stuff all in all!

Je-hee-zus... just checked the sites and pops export... hmmm, I wonder which camp could be the one I found?

This looks right:
Code: [Select]
67: Sirugisep, "Hoplocked", camp
        Owner: The Wayward Adoration, humans
        8 elves
        4 dwarves
        1 human
        33 animated humans
        88 animated elves
        477 animated goblins
        88 animated dwarves
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:02:45 am by Max™ »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7937 on: March 30, 2015, 04:30:33 am »

Having real trouble getting fame: can't quite work out the system despite having taken down a dragon, a titan, a minotaur, hordes of night creatures, a bunch of bandit leaders, some yetis and giant dingoes and desert scorpions that were bothering everyone, and an ettin. People call me a great hero, but still can't see why they'd want to follow someone like me with 3 other followers. Any tips on bragging?

Currently stuck on fighting a webbing rock titan. Any ideas?
One wheel short of a wagon

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7938 on: March 30, 2015, 04:47:22 am »

Bragging isn't much effective.
Use the rumour system by searching for the entry of you slaying the beasts (it's a hassle, I know).
If you want to get fame really fast try rescuing abducted children. This will skyrocket your fame.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7939 on: March 30, 2015, 05:09:28 am »

OK, thnx.
Are there any easy ways to search the rumour system? I put in conflict, fight and look, but when I search for the names of those I've killed, only rumours of their presence come up.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7940 on: March 30, 2015, 05:48:25 am »

Sadly seaching makes it skip over the conflict parts, just remember how many page up/down's it was to a convenient dragon/hydra/roc/colossus, telling folks about one or two of those will get you well over legendary hero, and as was said above, enough rescued kids and folks in different part of the world can start giving you the "[soandso is dumbfounded]... a legend, here?" responses.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7941 on: March 30, 2015, 06:02:55 am »

So: find dragon conflict page, memorise location, spam that one? Seems a pity as I have a fiarly wide range of boasts to make, but ok... Currently trying to fight a horned quadruped made of amethyst that spits webs. Pretty damn hard.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7942 on: March 30, 2015, 07:22:20 am »

Get a crossbow and shoot at it from hiding.

At least it isn't made of iron like the one I fought a while ago.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7943 on: March 30, 2015, 10:34:19 am »

There's this elf camped in a tent just outside a forest retreat who has been sleeping every time I passed through. I'd tried waiting an hour or two for her to wake up, but she slept any hour of day I visited her. The site had been conquered from goblins who had conquered it from another elvish tribe, and this was the administrator they sent. This was >700 years after she'd been appointed, and she's still living in a tent outside the settlement limits?

I stopped near sundown and took a 2 hour nap in her tent, thinking maybe she's nocturnal, and would be up during the night. She still slept. I tried waking her with a slap on the cheek. It exploded into gore. She considered that a non-lethal attack, but still didn't wake. So I slept another 4 hours.

Then the bogeymen struck, which shot down my hypothesis that tents would protect from them. The tent entrance was only 1 tile, so I positioned myself there. A few times I had to back further in order to isolate them, then charge back out. They took plenty of opportunities to whack on the admin, so I did kind of use her as a body shield, but I did manage to take them out before they could kill her. They gnawed on her enough that when (if) she woke up, I could tell her the boogeymen got her cheek.

After 4 more hours, she still didn't wake up. I wrested her cloak off of her and flogged her torso with it. From her unconscious state, she considered that a lethal attack, but remained unconscious. I waited 1 more hour, and then I saw her on her feet. When I stepped away from her to try to calm her down from a distance, she laid right back down and conked right the fuck back out.

Is there some kind of sleeping sickness? She was in the war against goblins led by a demon, so perhaps some demon extract? But the demon was killed by a grizzly, and she's fended off 5 gloom hag attacks since she settled here, so she must have been awake for those. What's going on with sleeping beauty? And what exactly does a 'very fat' elf look like? Does it mean she has tits? Do 'very fat' male elves also have tits? So many questions.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7944 on: March 30, 2015, 03:23:49 pm »

I'm more impressed by the fact that the demon was killed by a bear.
Is this bear still alive?
Would be a pretty pet to have.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7945 on: March 30, 2015, 03:45:16 pm »

He didn't even get a name from it, so I doubt he got 7 centuries of longetivity. Bears only live ~23 years.

My fort has sheep and alpaca with names for killing elves, so it's strange this bear didn't get a name for killing a demon.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7946 on: March 30, 2015, 04:33:19 pm »

Animals getting a name by killing persons or chars is a big part of the fun playing this game (for me). It's even better if they become the bane of a civ, especially if they kill some of your adventurers. Sadly, in 40.xx this doesn't happen too often (referring to normal animals you hunt for fun and exp).
I still remember one giant slug in 40d which was denying death and got a full name (starting as a nameless one) before I could kill it.
Especially since the deaths of my chars were brutal and hillarious.
This slug just rolled over my adventurers, broke every single bone of them and moved on as if nothing happened - leaving me dying by suffocation due to broken ribs which pierced my lungs while vomiting and passing out. The quickest deaths I ever had.
Always get a fuzzy feeling remembering those times...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:38:16 pm by SaD-82 »

YHVH

• Bay Watcher
  • Batshit Insane God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7947 on: March 30, 2015, 05:06:28 pm »

I managed to expose a vampire in a building, and we were talking about various subjects. Then I tried attacking the vampire and the entire village decided to attack me instead of the vampire, then I died.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:09:08 pm by YHVH »
So, now I have a moat filled with magma AND patrolled by ghosts. It is quite nice actually.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #7948 on: March 30, 2015, 06:02:35 pm »

Narrowly won a vampire-versus-vampire deathmatch, one-on-one with an elf vampire I found in the middle of the woods for some random reason. He was tough, and it took me ages to get a good hit in on him. I'd slashed his lower body with my sword, and he was still up and fighting. I got in one more hit about two minutes later and a while after that I chopped off a leg with a lucky shot and finished him quickly from there. XD the whole fight took like 15 minutes irl of me slashing and the elf dodging.

Edit: That guy died so now I'm starting a new adventure. I made a bone scimitar from human bone (using wanderer's friend) and now every time I kill something with the scimitar I add the something's bones to the weapon. Also, bone weapons suck.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:28:08 pm by Dampe »
Regards,
Dampe

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7949 on: March 30, 2015, 06:40:00 pm »

Bahahahaha...

"Ok now kiss!" *clunk*

Anyways, I decided to go check in after my unexpected zomblin apocalypse encounters, got several more kids returned to their homes, was told to go make trouble for a particular civ and finally figured out where the last kid I was trying to bring home was heading (a fort waaaay down at the bottom of the map around a mountain so I never revealed it before I found someone who knew directions there) so as it just so happens the civ I'm making trouble for are down there as well, I bring the kid back (to her father, the king) and ask the other to wait for a bit while I run next door for some groceries and elf-punching.

Since I did some searches here and it seems like just murder doesn't fulfill the quest I tried just beating elves up, that didn't work yet so I started grabbing their heads and working on my dental license... I'm still not sure if I'm doing it right, as I think you're supposed to pull infected teeth out, not pinch them all hard enough that they go flying... but hey, it's more of an art than a science, or something.

So I find the queen and accidentally kill her while trying to piss off everyone else and her princess daughter takes the throne, as does the new princess, I'm mangling them while telling the other about it and notice something weird...

Waaaaaaiiiittttt... *checks the name of the princess, Meyi Meyithono, which translates to Lilac Lilactin*

*checks the bodies on the ground... there's another Meyi Meyithono down there*

...well, no shit huh?

'Hey Meyi, can you hold this for a second?'
"Sure, what is it?"
'Your own mangled corpse!'
"How kind, thank you!"
'Wat.'

I hoped I could get a screenshot of her trying to hit me with it, but she wouldn't for some reason, so I did the only thing I could do in this situation... grabbed her body back and used it to cave in her skull:

So now I am dual-wielding Meyi Meyithono corpses!

Boom-boom, tuff-actin lilactin!
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 1104