Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 677 678 [679] 680 681 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2016966 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10170 on: January 08, 2016, 08:50:25 am »

Came back to the catacombs where my companions killed a warlord to get some practice arrows and found that all the treasure that was filling these rooms has vanished. Only a few chests and bags remain, and anything I dropped myself. And all of the lieutenants were packed shoulder-to-shoulder in another room, gossiping. Maybe they were holding a vote on who they were lieutenant of. I'll probably come back to recruit when I need more companions to get slaughtered by werecreatures. I sang them my most atrocious compositions and bid them good day.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10171 on: January 08, 2016, 12:52:18 pm »

So starting on my horrible mod of Bogeymancy or the art of Dance in the night for spider-people.
and minor control of bogeymen.
ended up rolling a character longing for romance but constantly hounded by a Frogwoman vampire who chased this spider lady across this huge town.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10172 on: January 08, 2016, 01:28:01 pm »

ended up rolling a character longing for romance but constantly hounded by a Frogwoman vampire who chased this spider lady across this huge town.

Somehow it works from an odd narrative point of view. There's attention, but it's unwanted.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10173 on: January 08, 2016, 02:23:10 pm »

"Part of me wants to eat you, but part of me wants to kiss you, and part of me wants to drink you."

So I got a bug in my head to trek across a world, can't get 257's to generate reliably with settings I like yet, but I've got settings that make neat 129x129 maps.

Made a goblin nerd, Amos (or Knowledgeable) Bookfriend, ransacked the mead hall I started in, danced with the only other soul there, the goblin administrator of the site, and headed out to check the nearest tomb.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There wasn't much of interest since the site I started in had a bunch of steel loot already so I turned north to the nearest town.

Once I got there I roamed around a bit trying to get a feel for the place, then I got to the keep and apparently triggered an uprising of weaponlord criminals out of the catacombs with my arrival. Normally the dozens of elf soldiers packed into the room would have put up a good fight I bet, but not when they're asleep.

Since they killed the lady and next in line it sacked the town, so I claimed it and passed the position off to the next poor sucker.

I got tired of getting attacked by random people during the insurrection-cycle so I went north through another hamlet to round out some more of my gear since I had found a dragon nest on the way to the town and with the balm of might I was now strong enough to actually haul steel around. Crossed a peak on the way and hit up a shrine to find a steel colossus, yay mountain climbing and violence!

Then I went to hang out in a forest retreat and see if I can pick up some new dances, but I got bored so I started doing some of the more fun ones I have, this character is the first time I've seen this tight double-looping circles dance.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10174 on: January 08, 2016, 03:57:15 pm »

Maybe it's just this dogend of the empire, but no one goes to the Tavern in these towns. I never see anyone but the Keeper, migrants, or mercenaries, and even those are scarce. The culture here values merriment, but have a low regard for leisure time. They also don't think much of hard work, so it makes you wonder what they do: go to work to goof off? Well, at least they're punctual. I could've started with the dwarves a little to the east, they know how to have a good time, but I couldn't follow them on most of their other values. It's a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to settle there.

I also haven't seen a single Bard, Poet, or Dancer. However, every single soldier I've recruited can sing and dance. They can always sing and dance well at the least, many dance flawlessly, and a rare few sing well enough to stand in for instruments. But no one ever starts a performance unbidden, except for the kids in the court. They reserve all that for their twice-a-decade festivals, in which they whip out their military and ceremonial forms and just go wild. They have one good wardance which gathers as many as 8 dancers and is great for morale, but all the best dance forms I've got came from the goblins.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10175 on: January 08, 2016, 04:23:06 pm »

True fact: goblins have the most interesting dance forms. Lots of move-to-x chases, almost always have a partner-spin-around dance, often have small-circle-alone forms, and random stuff like the crazy double-overlapping-circle whirligig I posted above.

Dwarves do a lot of stand-in-a-circle or stand-in-a-double-circle or stand-there-while-someone-sings, and occasionally stand-in-lines.

Elves seem to do the scoot-around-in-a-circle-alone or the whirl-around-in-a-circle-with-a-partner dance that dorfs do sometimes too. I've seen elves do a big mass-partner-whirligig which was awesome bit impossible to get going without exaclty the right number of participants.

I haven't seen as many human dance forms yet.

Dear Toady: implement a notification when a dance is going to start with the option to join in, and include a note of how many dancers/singers it needs as a minimum/max, or have the stragglers without a partner split off when they realize nobody else will join in.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10176 on: January 08, 2016, 05:20:17 pm »

Well, their dance compositions are mostly masterful, the worst being merely great, but the music accompanying them is on the low end of atrocious. And even when the lyrics aren't shit, the subject matter is still boring. For my favorite dance form I've been practicing the accompanying music just to compose a decent piece of it. And it has no lyrics because that's a preferable alternative to wince-inducing lyrics, so that means I practice looking like an asshole trying to yowl the sound of a wind instrument.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:23:38 pm by Uzu Bash »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10177 on: January 08, 2016, 07:13:51 pm »

Well that puts hilarious mental images in ones head. o3o
So is that like a humanoid lizard succubus?
I guess, if you're into giant lizard women. I always imagine the two of us as an old married couple, constantly bickering about everything. When I got lost in some dwarven tunnels, I imagined Wispy yelling at me about it and telling me I should have pulled over at the last mountain hall to ask for directions. She and I both enjoy arguing and we share very few common values, though we've both changed our values a bit over time. Here's me trying to convince her of the value of perseverance:

I eventually gave up because she's so goddamn stubborn. So much for perseverance.

Anyway, we've killed quite a few forgotten beasts and another hydra. One of the FBs had deadly dust as well, so during that fight I hid behind a door and waited for the noises to die down. I swear, it's like being in a hurricane. Your best chance is to try to get on top of the enemy and ride them around in the vortex.

Spoiler: Damn, girl, you scary (click to show/hide)

On a similar note, it's fall now and the trees are fruiting. Since I tend to end up in trees a lot, I tend to grab a branch and a fruit, then climb down carefully while Wispy kills the honey badger or whatever she spotted.

Traveling south again, I went back to my home civ. I scored myself a strepuv, which I can play but I wasn't a vampire when I last had the chance to grab one and it was too heavy to take. I can't dance any more now that I'm a cripple, so I have to find a new way to score free drinks.

Another reason I traveled south again was to visit the former goblin dark fortress near my home, which is now human. I picked this civ precisely because they were badass enough to take down the goblins.

Anyway, the reason I visited the dark fortress is because I wanted the underworld gate. All of the other three weren't there and I hoped this one would be. Unfortunately it wasn't but I did find this:

The goblins made a memorial for the hydra that their master killed. Amazing. Said master was killed by a giant leopard in ~50, which is why my civ could conquer them. I also noticed that Kupek was the same kind of demon as Wispy and the opposite gender, too. I wonder if they knew each other...

After that I traveled around the horn and down again so I could reach the island of the Confederacy of Aquamarine. They're the fourth human civ in my world, isolated on their mid-sized island just 5 map tiles from the mainland.

Their only problems are each other: bandits, werebeasts, vampires, small civil wars, and kobolds from that cave there. Their capitol of Puzzledskin has a whopping ten thousand citizens, plus another ~3000 animals and ~300 bandits and outcasts. The whole empire has 26,000 citizens.

So anyway I crossed that 5 tile gap on an obsidian bridge so I could keep Wispy with me and now I'm solving every single one of their problems. By killing them. The problems, that is.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10178 on: January 08, 2016, 10:26:46 pm »

I left my favorite companions out of full moon fun because I'd invested so much in their performance skills that I didn't want to throw them away on werecritters. That and they kept stealing my kills while I'm trying to develop unarmed. It's going to be slow going anyway; I didn't increase str at the start because I assumed a Cougarman's claws would be effective enough damage dealers. Now my advancement is slow because my damage output is low because my advancement is slow because...yeah, it's fucked up that I'm still committed to doing this. I'm facing these werecreatures on their own tooth-and-claw terms, but with iron dagger insurance.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10179 on: January 09, 2016, 10:22:27 am »

"You are bound to obey me" "It was inevitable"
Oh god why did this have to pop up in my head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chYn2J86lQk

I'm so terribly sorry for the mental image, I'll go drown myself in a pool of magma.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10180 on: January 09, 2016, 11:10:46 am »

OH GOD I GET IT

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10181 on: January 09, 2016, 12:02:29 pm »

so the bogeymancy script kinda fell wayside due to realizing night_creature_bogey isn't a token that acceptable for removal on the other hand it seems like making zombies smarter is even harder than pulling bogeymen to the other side. in frustration I just perform a dance around them.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10182 on: January 09, 2016, 12:08:34 pm »

I probably look like a ghost since I'm always covered with white powder.

So I realized something. This island is pretty nice. I'm crippled and almost everything is dead, so this world is getting boring. This island has a lot of bandits, and bandits have a lot of money. The whole island only uses one kind of currency.

I've started saving for retirement. I've got ~25,000☼ so far.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10183 on: January 09, 2016, 12:19:06 pm »

@TheFlame52

Still the best art is post it note art, yes.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10184 on: January 09, 2016, 01:23:28 pm »

Amazing.

I actually lost Wispy for a while when I had to swim out into the ocean to kill some crocodiles. When I came back she was gone! I went around and did some other stuff, then returned and tried to find her. Turned out she was underwater, hiding.

I've also saved up 36,000☼ and pissed off a city by killing some bandits in public. Pussies.
Pages: 1 ... 677 678 [679] 680 681 ... 1103