Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2021779 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #11505 on: March 27, 2016, 08:50:07 pm »

In the same region1 as the deceased dwarf Feb, who no longer resides in the mountain halls (or so we imagine), I rolled fortress dweller Mafol Claspedgrips the Good with similar aims. In that nice time travel twist, where different world lines overlap, somehow Mafol had read The Subterraneans and Desolation Angels, so he sought to mostly avoid the surface world. The undetected life! He wanted to float just underneath and for a while he did.

At the moment of Mafol's appearance in Enteredpost, there was an ongoing rodent (wo)men invasion in the fortress warehouse. Mafol discovered they were finding their way in through the dwarven superhighway which was clogged with cats (Chairman Meow and Dottie among them) who used their overpowered head bump skills to shift everyone around one tile.

After roaming here and there, hunting draltha and olm, I checked Mafol to see if he had become a wrestler as his skill had now grown from novice to adequate after all the Zágod Rifot (Grip Block)-ing he had been doing. Apparently he had become this fortress' broker instead. I checked legends to have a look at the dwarves living in Enteredpost killed by rodent people. Only one of them had a title of nobility. There was also news of an insurrection. One wonders how this was passed down.

Later at the dwarven superhighway's entrance to the spiral ramp, because of interrupted sleep, Mafol put down the rodent (wo)men invasion. If they hadn't come at night, they could have kept raiding. A funny thing was the cat head bumping served to aid an unknown viewer's amusement as both rodents and dwarf were shifted about. The rodent people were easy work, but herding cats required a late night trip to the tavern. Each cat had a different destination and Mafol wasn't sure if he was being claimed by any of them. Mafol headed to the surface for that drink. Aside from a few dwarves, the trade depot was mostly empty of goods. Mafol was glad he hadn't dumped the draltha meat there before. One suspects either the invasion or the insurrection zapped the depot (no great loss as it was populated with silver edged weapons before).

At the depot, while dropping 5 draltha meat in various places, it became clear Mafol had become mixed up in too much of this. A dwarf who thinks poorly of commerce and disdains the law as a broker. Ah, how the world picks you, rather than the other way around. And still you'll be held to account.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Many of the newer male dwarf soldiers lack facial hair, so they're outsiders and clearly part of the insurrection. The other bearded soldiers don't seem to care one way or another. There doesn't seem to be a good way of relieving Mafol of being broker other than leaving Enteredpost and taking up residence at another fortress. Mafol knows Uzol Laborhoist was just trying to hook up old friends, but this was unexpected to say the least.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11506 on: March 27, 2016, 10:44:36 pm »

In the same region1 as the deceased dwarf Feb, who no longer resides in the mountain halls (or so we imagine), I rolled fortress dweller Mafol Claspedgrips the Good with similar aims. In that nice time travel twist, where different world lines overlap, somehow Mafol had read The Subterraneans and Desolation Angels, so he sought to mostly avoid the surface world. The undetected life! He wanted to float just underneath and for a while he did.

At the moment of Mafol's appearance in Enteredpost, there was an ongoing rodent (wo)men invasion in the fortress warehouse. Mafol discovered they were finding their way in through the dwarven superhighway which was clogged with cats (Chairman Meow and Dottie among them) who used their overpowered head bump skills to shift everyone around one tile.

After roaming here and there, hunting draltha and olm, I checked Mafol to see if he had become a wrestler as his skill had now grown from novice to adequate after all the Zágod Rifot (Grip Block)-ing he had been doing. Apparently he had become this fortress' broker instead. I checked legends to have a look at the dwarves living in Enteredpost killed by rodent people. Only one of them had a title of nobility. There was also news of an insurrection. One wonders how this was passed down.

Later at the dwarven superhighway's entrance to the spiral ramp, because of interrupted sleep, Mafol put down the rodent (wo)men invasion. If they hadn't come at night, they could have kept raiding. A funny thing was the cat head bumping served to aid an unknown viewer's amusement as both rodents and dwarf were shifted about. The rodent people were easy work, but herding cats required a late night trip to the tavern. Each cat had a different destination and Mafol wasn't sure if he was being claimed by any of them. Mafol headed to the surface for that drink. Aside from a few dwarves, the trade depot was mostly empty of goods. Mafol was glad he hadn't dumped the draltha meat there before. One suspects either the invasion or the insurrection zapped the depot (no great loss as it was populated with silver edged weapons before).

At the depot, while dropping 5 draltha meat in various places, it became clear Mafol had become mixed up in too much of this. A dwarf who thinks poorly of commerce and disdains the law as a broker. Ah, how the world picks you, rather than the other way around. And still you'll be held to account.

Many of the newer male dwarf soldiers lack facial hair, so they're outsiders and clearly part of the insurrection. The other bearded soldiers don't seem to care one way or another. There doesn't seem to be a good way of relieving Mafol of being broker other than leaving Enteredpost and taking up residence at another fortress. Mafol knows Uzol Laborhoist was just trying to hook up old friends, but this was unexpected to say the least.

Thats interesting, I wonder if toady will eventually let people actually act out being a bookkeeper/broker even if it is boring.

I suppose being a broker in an active trade depot wouldnt be that boring.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:46:34 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11507 on: March 28, 2016, 07:12:20 am »

Kulet wanted to craft an amulet from the troll ivory, but could not find any rocks for knapping a tool knife in the cave moss, so no trophies and no bone armor crafting was possible.

And that is why you pick a more up-to-date Wanderer's Friend derivative, since recent versions of the game allow you to carve with any sharp item. :V

Yeah, I was a little annoyed that his copper dagger was apparently hopelessly inferior to a sharp rock and that there are 0 rocks to be found in a god damn cave. Any recommendations?

So, a GCS sort of fits the bill of soft meat titan which can be one-shotted. Feb couldn't get the GCS to trigger its web shot, so I pretty much expected every GCS action (once they closed for melee) to be web. Feb had maybe an adequate axe skill at this point, competent fighter and wrestler. He missed his two attacks and lost the gamble.

That's an interesting way to look at it! You're definitely way better off if you can get in a good hit or two before the webs come out. If only NPC's were better at tactically flanking.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11508 on: March 28, 2016, 11:22:38 am »

Yeah, I was a little annoyed that his copper dagger was apparently hopelessly inferior to a sharp rock and that there are 0 rocks to be found in a god damn cave. Any recommendations?

Must...resist...urge to plug my own mod... >w>

I need to check whether Deon or Max have changed their carving reactions to use any sharp object.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11509 on: March 28, 2016, 11:39:38 am »

Mine has been since I rebuilt it with 42.06 using the categories and sharp object stuff.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11510 on: March 28, 2016, 11:51:51 am »

so warmist of dfhack old mention something about a site flag is what makes it safe to retire on dfhack created sites.
something about TOWN flag and the one directly below it.
either way I probably should test to see if It can allow me to retire adventurers who got kick out of town to see if operation "Evil has a home now" can be done.
this personal discovery means I can retire anywhere.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11511 on: March 28, 2016, 11:53:20 am »

Ah right, I recall now that you'd mentioned it on Adventurecraft's page. Doh.

So yes, at the very least either my mod or Max's will work fine with any sharp object.

EDIT: And back on monster gangbang planet, I slipped away from the gargoyle lair. Had to get past some zombie ravens. Seems the zed nerf means that lopping heads off is a lot more reliable at temporarily putting them down. Used to be in early DF2014, it was a toss-up as to whether decapitation would put one down.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:23:58 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: March 28, 2016, 05:12:33 pm »

Has anyone ever been to a greatly diminished trade depot where your character could not pick up anything on any of the trade depot tiles?
As you can see in the above images there are a few items lying about. This fort too was under rodent man/woman invasion. Is this the cause? My dwarf's origin fort had a similar issue, though there were even less items.

There was also this weirdness.
It would go away once I had Mafol fast travel. He's been outside a fort once, almost drowned once when by mistake I moved under the dwarven highway instead of climbing back onto it.

That's an interesting way to look at it! You're definitely way better off if you can get in a good hit or two before the webs come out. If only NPC's were better at tactically flanking.
This run I've approached the caverns as if they were shrines my dwarf was trying to reveal. I've come across two GCS and just avoid them. Sometimes you have to work tile by tile to peel away the darkness, waiting to trigger either AI movement or vision field.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11513 on: March 28, 2016, 05:35:19 pm »

Nice adventure reads all of 'em! :) Can't say yet that I've seen an empty trade depot.. unless you count shops with hundreds of stuff laying about with no npcs around, usually the human areas.

Switched my adventuring as Dhorna the minothar Sword Lady (will be changing the profession name to something about wrestling/unarmed attacks but feminine thing at the end of it) into a simulation mode for the entire time DF was active until I felt calmer and end-tasked the game. Killed that colossus in just 3-5 strikes/stabs into it's head, the blow that killed it was a difficult stab strike but fairly solid IIRC and then found out that the statue of the colossus weighs nearly 100+ something less than my character! I can haul it while sprinting! Anyway I then sprint and traveled to the goblin lands and dark fortress and poured my frustrations on goblins and trolls and discovered that, wow!, she's more awesome fighting unarmed! I also discovered that I forgot to turn the divine metal whip to platinum when facing the demon of the fortress. Also no wonder those demons in those fortresses attack every adventurer in sight, even the ones that are also powerful and demonic too.. it's the cursed boring and depressing slade colors they live in! Those slade walls could use some dark red paint at least! *has a realization* ...they need fresh corpses which to butcher and use their blood to paint the area, it all makes sense now! :o *starts hearing lovecraftian chanting and voices*

*recovers from the strange mood* So yeah, this is the point where I turn the ruddy metal to adamantine as majority of the divine metal/cloth is in this dull grey color. Hey! Didn't I already kill that colossus!? (JK)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 05:38:06 pm by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #11514 on: March 28, 2016, 05:43:56 pm »

Well, I gotta say, I find it kind of amazing how you can just randomly set a goal mid-stream.

I started off as a swordswoman. Went south, killed some elves at a forest retreat, before heading for a bandit camp and becoming a lieutenant. Since I was officially a bandit, I decided to kill a few nearby lords and ladies of some hamlets.

Afterwards, I went to a nearby tower - both of my companions, a lasher and a pikeman died from the zombies. However I somehow managed to circle around the tower itself and jump inside - managed to get to the slab and read it, then got out - had to kill 2 of the necromancers though.

I went to a nearby camp and hamlet, killed off some people to create a zombie army, then proceeded to the nearby town.

Large fight in the marketplace - for whatever reason, even though there were zombies right next to them, several people just stood by until the zombies got in their faces. I went to the keep afterwards, killed the lord, lady, religious leader, a bard and an orc swordsman (who died perfectly - threw a steel arrow at him and it got lodged in his head and tore his brain), raised them all as zombies, then became the lady of the town and retired.

I guess next stream we're gonna try to overthrow her, however that goes.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11515 on: March 28, 2016, 06:32:21 pm »

-lungs-
Have you been drinking alcohol? What is your disease resistance?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: March 28, 2016, 07:15:59 pm »

-lungs-
Have you been drinking alcohol? What is your disease resistance?

Mafol was drinking and his disease resistance is above average. He's also spent almost all of his time slow traveling the caverns.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 07:19:03 pm by peasant cretin »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11517 on: March 28, 2016, 07:24:23 pm »

I've got nothing then.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11518 on: March 28, 2016, 07:26:26 pm »

Might depend on how much booze you'd been drinking over time.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11519 on: March 28, 2016, 07:42:41 pm »

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I gave Mafol high above avg disease resistance since I figured he'd eventually end up drinking mud water. Maybe that should be high? Perhaps running a mainly cavern crawling dwarf requires different specs that the normal kill-kill adventurer since it's more of a durability test. Ah, who knows, but it'll be fun trying it.
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 1104