Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 849 850 [851] 852 853 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1995157 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12750 on: July 25, 2016, 08:18:29 pm »

A short distance away from  the first structure, Kamuk discovered a pocket defined by  sandy loam walls. This was the second structure built.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's a pretty good area. Foraging is just tiles away. Up north Kamuk primarily hunted for food, though foraging had been an alternative, but this was due to needing stat gain and skill training. If Kamuk was being run as a pacifist character, solely foraging would have been the way to go. It's midsummer and now that he's below the mountain range, he'll try to forage all of his food until fall arrives, random animal ambush notwithstanding.

After the build, Kamuk headed east to clear a bandit camp in what initially appeared to be tundra. From his own camp he fast travels over one day and uses the mountains as a midpoint stopover.
(click thumbnail to expand)

Kamuk encountered 3 goblin patrols on the way in. They were all shot with iron crossbow using a strike/stand ground/stand ground combat preferences set up. The response for each shot during the delay after firing was  8-10 goblin attempted  attacks, which either missed and/or were blocked. As a result, Dodger was able to advance deep into level 10 (Accomplished) territory.

(click thumbnail to expand)

The bandit camp Wickedhates was run by a frail master lasher who wielded a masterwork silver scourge. She unfortunately wore no armor and as a result wasn't worth meleeing. Her level 11 skills weren't going to beat a level 14 Shield User skill (grandmaster) and a level 10 Dodger stat, both buffed by the status effect Focused!.
The first bolt shot disarmed her, but the second was blocked by her masterwork iron shield. The shield made the journey here worth the effort. Weapon masters likely give better XP over all, so Kamuk moved to an adjacent tile and continued firing to get a few rounds of 8-10 attacks defended. Kamuk hasn't been knocked down and stunned by any humanoid charge this run, which is pretty much the other reason to flagrantly fire bolts from 1 tile away. If stun was something to manage, it wouldn't matter versus the average soldier. A 5 level drop/debuff from grandmaster still has you at level 9 which is more than enough for a generic. The remainder of the camp received the same shots fired. Well worth it as Dodger was able to advance to level 11 (Great).

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12751 on: July 25, 2016, 09:29:50 pm »

So for this character I chose an axe. I've never chosen an axe before. I always, always go sword. And apparently I picked the wrong version to do so, because now I'm fucking useless against all this armor. I should have gone spear.

Anyway, I'm slogging through a vault. I only have one functioning arm and leg, but if I rest I'll have to fight my way through the whole stupid thing again! My strategy involves repeatedly hacking at the torso of the angels until their clothes break (they don't have chestplates), then cutting off their now-exposed necks. If I can sneak up behind them, though, I strangle them.

EDIT: I got through the vault, read the demon's true name, and skedaddled. My loot includes:
 - a set of never-still cloth clothing
 - twisting metal high boots, gauntlets, and helm
 - a twisting metal crossbow, pike, spear, and blade
 - a lot more scars
After that I walked for a few days and arrived at the shrine of a bronze colossus my lord sent me to kill. I needed the twisting metal so I could damage it. After chipping off all its limbs with the spear, it's time to train!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 02:34:16 pm by TheFlame52 »

VoxelMush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12752 on: July 26, 2016, 03:37:01 pm »

So for this character I chose an axe. I've never chosen an axe before. I always, always go sword. And apparently I picked the wrong version to do so, because now I'm fucking useless against all this armor. I should have gone spear.

Oddly enough, I always go axe. Seems like the easiest weapon option to me. It can still damage people in armour to a degree, and can easily chop off limbs in the unarmoured. It's proven effectively to me so far because I always hunt beasts and other creatures, who never wear armour.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12753 on: July 26, 2016, 04:11:49 pm »

Oddly enough, I always go axe. Seems like the easiest weapon option to me. It can still damage people in armour to a degree, and can easily chop off limbs in the unarmoured. It's proven effectively to me so far because I always hunt beasts and other creatures, who never wear armour.
I know. Axes are super useful for killing unarmored creatures, it's just absolutely infuriating to be using an iron great axe on opponents with godly armor, especially when you can't get a godly metal axe.

After I trained spear and sword to legendary, I killed the colossus. Yes, there are like six more skills I could train, but that would make the game boring. Now I'm using a pike, since I have that twisting metal pike. But now that my stats are maxed, it's fun to punch night creatures to death.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12754 on: July 26, 2016, 04:46:23 pm »

You can also use any Axe to cut down trees. saves me time and effort making a tool axe for crafting.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12755 on: July 26, 2016, 04:50:37 pm »

I AM GOD

(I can wield this thing one-handed by the way)

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12756 on: July 26, 2016, 05:06:20 pm »

I am on a quest to convince every leader that peace is worthless

VoxelMush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12757 on: July 26, 2016, 05:09:40 pm »

LET THE WARS BEGIN

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12758 on: July 26, 2016, 05:10:29 pm »

Isn't this every quest?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Random tavern conversation with a marksgoblin reveals that there's a titan shrine  out west. If the titan has a harmless special attack, Kamuk will work the crossbow from an adjacent tile to get all that defensive XP stat goodness in. Prior to leaving town there was some temple weirdness.
Kamuk was just holding that cage. A gift for some trapper he comes across. What to do with all those cages found in meadhalls and bandit camps?

It's a long costal journey that includes a sleep disruption from a sea serpent.
There's so much meat and organ, that it makes sense to build a new camp as a stop over.

Once Kamuk arrives at the shrine, he crawls with ambusher on, keeping Nanges Viperspray the Golden Shells the plains titan at 23-25 tile range. Turns out, Nanges is a glass quadruped with deadly spittle.

Nanges is harmless, so Kamuk begins testing out aggressive AI activation range for crawl. When you're standing while ambushing, AIs turn aggressive at 20 tiles. Beyond 20+ tiles they'll move when you move, but they'll ignore you. When you're crawling on the ground, it seems you can get to under 8-10 tiles before there's AI aggression, and fast travel is no longer available.

The test was just creep forward one tile, count tile distance, check for fast travel availability, move one tile parallel to titan, check for fast travel availability, rinse and repeat, edging closer and closer, until it reacts.

Kamuk did get to stand adjacent to Nanges and fire away after chipping it with the steel pick to get some miner work in. Toughness advances from superior to superdwarven because of all that dodge.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 05:12:50 pm by peasant cretin »

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12759 on: July 26, 2016, 05:32:11 pm »

LET THE WARS BEGIN

I hope it works :D

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12760 on: July 27, 2016, 12:37:24 am »

I noticed that you can alter the sizes of containers, so I did a little math and made minecarts go from 500000 to 3250000 capacity.

Then I changed the water/magma reactions to produce 2916 units.

Then I tested it and dumped it out to see if it made 7/7 as I hoped.

Forgot to see how cold it was, so used to dumping these out over magma.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12761 on: July 27, 2016, 05:49:54 am »

I noticed that you can alter the sizes of containers, so I did a little math and made minecarts go from 500000 to 3250000 capacity.

Then I changed the water/magma reactions to produce 2916 units.

Then I tested it and dumped it out to see if it made 7/7 as I hoped.

Forgot to see how cold it was, so used to dumping these out over magma.
yeah for protection against that just make another minecart next to you so you can hop into that the exact moment you drop the water.
havent done much with that due to getting obisedon to work is like either melting the character or crashing the game
but hey this is my next project.

build a bridge connecting to the mainland.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12762 on: July 27, 2016, 06:16:30 am »

You're as crazy as I am!

I usually wait until I'm at capped speed before I play with ice and such, same effect as hopping to a minecart, just easier to do in mid-air.

So I documented my process of clearing out a chunk of lava flow for the heck of it.

I've noticed that dumping out enough water to create obsidian while you're in enough magma for it to instantly create obsidian always crashes the game. I can hop out of a column of water as it freezes as long as I'm ready for it at 10.0 speed, gotta make sure you weren't in a slower swimming gait the tick before you drop it, but yeah, no way to have obsidian appear in the tile you were just standing in besides having it actually fall into the same square.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12763 on: July 27, 2016, 09:28:20 am »

Anyway, I'm slogging through a vault. I only have one functioning arm and leg, but if I rest I'll have to fight my way through the whole stupid thing again! My strategy involves repeatedly hacking at the torso of the angels until their clothes break (they don't have chestplates), then cutting off their now-exposed necks. If I can sneak up behind them, though, I strangle them.

EDIT: I got through the vault, read the demon's true name, and skedaddled. My loot includes:
 - a set of never-still cloth clothing
 - twisting metal high boots, gauntlets, and helm
 - a twisting metal crossbow, pike, spear, and blade
 - a lot more scars
After that I walked for a few days and arrived at the shrine of a bronze colossus my lord sent me to kill. I needed the twisting metal so I could damage it. After chipping off all its limbs with the spear, it's time to train!

I love how you went and killed some servants of the gods themselves, just so you could steal their stuff and kill an uppity statue. DF is epic indeed.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12764 on: July 27, 2016, 01:45:32 pm »

I did it, this is the coziest camp evar, nestled right up in the midst of several dark pits and a dark fortress, submerged beneath magma, sealed in by a cap of obsidian, with the volcano tube filling up bit by bit with water.

Given the endless water supply above and the endless magma below it was just a matter of seeing if I could line up one of the columns I set in place before the obsidian capping, some diagonal pressure control channels, and a captive bit of lava flow with restored links to the magma sea.

Are you thinking that looks like a mist generator which uses lava flow destruction of water to handle the outflow plumbing?
...because it's a mist generator which uses lava flow destruction of water to handle outflow plumbing.
Pages: 1 ... 849 850 [851] 852 853 ... 1103