Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 863 864 [865] 866 867 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2022591 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12960 on: August 28, 2016, 05:37:26 pm »

so in the other day I built the usual hyper bunker for my mind flayer adventurer and got out of cutting trees to notice a Buff Doe spawn in the bunker. so I guess I caught a wild animal some how as I don't think it can escape.

oh and I learn recently that it's possible for the ai to just Parry the projectile you throw at them and it will read out as batting the object out of the air with your weapon.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12961 on: August 28, 2016, 07:14:23 pm »

You just now learned that?

I'm still not sure how that works, one of the anons on dfg suggested that it was actually redirecting the aim, either way it's neat.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12962 on: August 28, 2016, 07:44:45 pm »

You just now learned that?

I'm still not sure how that works, one of the anons on dfg suggested that it was actually redirecting the aim, either way it's neat.
I don't usually throw stuff at folks, my playstyle for combat is Sneak up and Break neck, then run away to break sight to pull off another break neck attempt.
also this happen in that bunker.
  good to see other npcs get the unhinged tag for fighting others.
"body swapping and YOU!"

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #12963 on: August 28, 2016, 08:28:17 pm »

(Semi)-Megabeasts and night creatures don't seem to care about their closest kin at all. In fact, they actually encourage killing off their own kind. You could, for instance, murder an entire night troll's lineage in plain view, only for him/her to congratulate you for offing their family.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12964 on: August 29, 2016, 01:00:33 am »

I got this fox man for my character. Yeah, yeah, his traits aren't the best given what you can do with animal people. But assassinating goblins is a lot more fun if you do it as a fox, mostly because they're known for sneakiness, and cunning.

If you want to read how I got him going, here's  my story on that. In a nutshell, I built a fortress and developed it into maturity just so I could get fox man sized armor.

I spawn in the mountain home. As anyone who has ever seriously played adventure mode knows, these settlements are a total maze. It took me 30 real minutes to get out of there, although I spent most of my time looking for companions. I found the exit stairs within 5 minutes. In the end, I found only one companion, and he was on the surface. I spent about a day looking around in hillocks, mostly just for fun, as I know that the only companions you can get there are drunks, which don't make very good companions.

One day later I went to my Fort, which was not 1 in game hour away from the closest hillock, and no more than three from the mountain home. I didn't expect to find a lot of order there, which I didn't, but I actually managed to recruit two more companions, both of which were visitors. I got my armor and it all worked fine.

Now, I decided to sidetrack a little. I backed up my save, retired my adventurer inside the fort, and unretired the fort. The place was a complete mess - literally nobody was doing anything, everybody had "No job," and the game had assigned positions for all nobles. Also, I had a lot of visitors, but only two of them were actually listed as guests - all others were listed as hostile, although none of them attacked my dwarves. There were even two elf merchants, who had the same psuedo-hostility. Now there was something funny with my livestock. I had all the animals I had when I retired the fort, plus two more - "Mule" and "Horse".

That was it.

No "stray," no gender tag, no names, just an animal listed as "Mule" and an animal listed as "Horse".

I had no idea where they came from, but frankly, I didn't care. What I was more interested in was my adventurer. He was there, actually - but it seems he had applied for long-term residency as a performer, because I couldn't assign labors to him, but I could assign occupations to him. I could also view his skills and his moods and preferences screen as any other citizen. For some reason he had taken off all of his armor, too. Now, remember at this point I had three companions. One of them seemed to have done the same thing. Resident status, no labors, yes occupations. The other two had taken on the same psuedo-hostility as many other visitors.

Now, there was another weird thing. His profession was "Fox man Swordsman." (although it would be cool if he was a "Swordsfox".) He was assigned to a squad with a random name, but I couldn't see it in the military screen. And as soon as I unpaused the game, he became a "Fox man", listed at the same level in the units screen as peasants, and he removed himself from his squad. I could still not assign him to another one. And with all those other glitches that followed the retirement, I decided to end my sidetracking here.

So I deleted the save and resumed from the backup I made.

Now I spent the rest of the day trying to figure out how to rent a room for the night at my tavern. After concluding that it wasn't possible, I asked around for quests and got a "criminal organization." I decided that taking them out was my goal. That place was really far away though, and I don't get how they could possibly be affected by them. There was a mountain in between the two places! But that wasn't going to stop  me. And it was a good opportunity to test out guides, you know, companions that guide you to a location. So I asked around, and everyone told me that some human could guide me there. I spent a whole day looking for him, and back at the mountain home, I got told that if I wanted to know where he was, a certain badger woman could tell me.

Now earlier I had the tracks and odor HUD turned on, and near the entrance of the mountain home I noticed that the strongest odor was of badger women. So it was obvious that she was there right? No. After another whole day of searching, it turned out that she was right back where I started my search, in my own Fort. Pretty lame. But she was able to guide me straight to the criminals, instead of having to search for that human.

Travelling there took me two whole days, and it turned out that the "criminal organization" was a human town.

*facepalm*

I went straight back to my home area. Now I decided to have a little fun. I noticed that there was a dark pits near my location, and I thought I that the mountain home would surely appreciate it if I carried out a sneak attack on them.

To get there, I had to go through a mountain, not around it like I did with the "criminals." This actually took me a lot less time than I thought it would. After about a day, I arrived at the dark pits. Turned sneaking mode on, I'm ready for action. My companion didn't seem to care, though, as he kept talking all the time.

Arriving there, there were only trenches. No goblins, just trenches. And very cliffy terrain. Going a little further and I found my first landmark, which was some sort of tower. Probably meant as a lookout tower, but there was nothing to look put from; no windows, fortifications, or roof. Pretty strange. I decided to go a further, and there was a Goblin leatherworker, which I decided not to attack just yet. I was still getting down from the cliff, and he was out of sight almost immediately.

Then after coming down from the cliff, There was a little clearing with another tower in the middle. There were a lot of goblins going in there, but not enough that I had no chance of sneaking through. I sneaked to the side of the tower and waited outside for my first victim.

And after only a few turns, one came out. I was out of his view range, and I attacked him immediately. He tried to scream, but it seems that either nobody heard him or the game has no code to make these screams actually alarming to nearby civilization member. His corpse certainly did, though.

This repeated itself about three times. The last victim was a hunter, and I kept his weapons and ammo. I did a short crossbow training, and went inside the tower. There was a staircase going down. Going in it revealed some kind of cave, with many doors, and this seemed to be the Goblin variant of bedrooms. The rooms had no furniture though. I killed a few more goblins before finding a large open underground area that seemed to be some kind of meeting hall for the goblins. Sniping the goblins was definitely not a good idea, so I went back outside to find more targets.

After killing a few more and chasing one up a cliff I realized I had lost my companion. Well, he didn't exactly help in the killings, but now I had no way of safely going back home. Maybe I could surround myself with campfires and wait out any attacks? Well, it was still noon, so I had some time left. Unfortunately, the mountain home was too far away. I decided to back into the pits and hope I could come up with a plan before it got dark, as I couldn't rest within the site. I couldn't fast-travel through it, either.

I went back into the underground area. I think the local overseer finally noticed that there was a killer on the loose, because I encountered a lone soldier who seemed to already want to kill me, despite not actually seeing me. After a lengthy fight in a narrow hallway, I killed the soldier, but I broke my left arm. No more shields for me.

I decided that a shield was too essential and I could probably wait out my injuries. So I went back outside and headed for the edge of the site, so I could plan my escape.

It turned out that the companion was waiting for me on the edge of the site. He followed me immediately, and I got back to the mountain home safely. My arm was still broken.

In the end, my arm didn't heal within a few days as I had hoped, and I retired my adventurer at the mountain home. The end.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12965 on: August 29, 2016, 01:48:20 am »

Made an elf peasant. Attacked some ravens. Got both lungs scratched up in quick succession and suffocated. Made another elf peasant and got revenge, killing the raven that got credit for the kill. I've found a couple companions in a nearby town and we're all training on the wildlife before going after a couple bandit gangs.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12966 on: August 29, 2016, 10:49:39 am »

@latias I've been experimenting with running a fortress and once a year retiring it and going out adventuring.  I've only managed 2 outings, but the second one ended up like yours with the semi-hostile visitors (100 total visitors, about 40 of them hostile!)  I had 2 dead olm women in the fortress too. A caravan must have arrived when I was retired because when I unretired I had 10 merchants as civs.  I also had one full fledged goblin civ (no idea how).  I think the hostility issue might be due to the caravan because I have a whole bunch of hostile animals as well.  I also had 2 dead olm women in my fortress.  Legends mode sheds no light on the situation other than the olm women attacked and were killed.  Everyone else was a visitor.  I killed a fair number of the hostile visitors.  Essentially they stand around doing nothing, but will respond if attacked.  If you attack and they have a friend who watches, that friend might jump in, but otherwise nothing else happens.  I had a were-capybara who I decided to let turn in full view of some of the visitors.  The were-capybara ignored all of the "hostile" visitors and eventually chased after a cat.  For some reason, one of my dwarfs ignored their burrows and wandered into view, getting killed instantly.  *This* sparked the "hostile" visitors into action and they killed my were-capybara (after he switched back).  I sent my militia to kill the visitors who had fought the were-capaybara (just to be sure that I didn't end up with more were problems) and this created a loyalty cascade.  Luckily, I minimized the losses (3 dwarfs dead and 4 in the hospital).

So my advice to anyone who wants to switch back and forth and finds that they have the same problem -- the "hostile" marking is probably a bug.  I imagine they will eventually leave.  I wonder what I'm going to do with those merchants, though...

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12967 on: August 29, 2016, 12:07:46 pm »

kinda wonder if the whole friendly with animals trait still work in this version of Dwarf fortress, like I guess that should prevent wolves and ambush animals from attacking right?

@latias  snip

fun fact about "hostile" units that were former guests they won't attack any of your civilians unless provoked, and will defend your fort.
so they make great cannon fodder, also since they fall under hostile you can cage trap them and build a zoo if you want.
 they kinda fall under the retired as a resident of the site but not of the civ and the game marking them as such.
yeah they can and maybe will leave due to world transition but mostly treat them as good starting military and guards for kobolds.
you do kinda fall into a case where you have more guests than dwarves and end up with no sieges but since this is in Adv mode you could just recruit them and use that fort as a companion farm.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12968 on: August 29, 2016, 02:12:13 pm »

So, returning to my adventure as a reptile man and fellow spearlizard, we reached the lair of a zombie dire wolf. As usual, I seemed burdened with my surviving companion fucking off instead of joining the fray.

No matter. It literally only took three fucking hits. Next on the hitlist, we accidentally revisit a lair where I slew that lesser dragon, only to quite fortunately encounter another in the area. Easily dealt with.

For fuck's sake. We stop a moment to eat and drink, and already my ally is running away from a fucking zombie giant snail. I literally wound up putting it down by poking it once in the body, not even pulping it.

I decided to see whether forcing the value of martial prowess down his throat might help make him less of a wimp. Somehow I doubt it.

Nope, I was wrong. Or maybe it was because this foe was only a giant dingo, and I kinda forced him to follow me into the lair. Oh well. I have a decent set of gear, while he has nothing but a shield and...two loincloths. So I guess I'll make some armor for him.

Next place we visited was a shrine. With a shelled, web-slinging wormy kill titan. Yeah, fuck that. Next shrine we hit has a mi-go, which is much more manageable. It does manage to knock me over and stun me during the fight. Normally I'd jump away until the stun wore off, but Srakadolmus might be endangered if I did. Instead I jump INTO the mi-go, and to my surprise I succeed in forcing it back, the stun wearing out RIGHT as it lands.

Soon however, it starts doling out severe injuries to my companion. I already jabbed its secondary nervous system, all I needed was one good hit to the head to finish it. Then...

Attack of opportunity, motherfucker. My ally however, is now left badly injured, only able to hold a crutch. Hoping we find a hamlet along the way.

EDIT: Uhoh. Problem is the only civilization, period, would be either back home or the place way the hell to the northeast we were heading towards.

EDIT 2:

Spoiler: screenshot (click to show/hide)

No. Remove dragon. :V
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 03:05:48 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12969 on: August 29, 2016, 11:32:45 pm »

you do kinda fall into a case where you have more guests than dwarves and end up with no sieges but since this is in Adv mode you could just recruit them and use that fort as a companion farm.

I'm doing a kind of hybrid game where I retire my fort once a year and go on exploratory quests.  Using the fort as a companion farm is a really excellent idea.  I was actually thinking of using the guests as live "training" partners, but your idea is better.  I'm in a bit of a pickle where I am because it turns out that all of the nearby towns are deserted, so it is hard to recruit.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12970 on: August 29, 2016, 11:50:08 pm »

...zombie dingos. Oh holy fuck.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12971 on: August 29, 2016, 11:58:44 pm »

Killed some more wildlife until I felt confident in myself and my two dwarven companions. We butchered a black bear, made some crafts, and went back to the town to sell them. Bought a huge stockpile of leather and turned a large portion of it, but not all, into cloaks. Sold those for everything I'd paid for the leather on top of every last coin the shop had. Something like an 800% profit.

We then confronted the bandits. Or more accurately they surrounded us. Dropped the backpack and we all went to town. It was a short fight, and incidentally in the middle of it I accidentally attacked the macedwarf companion. She agreed to let it slide, though, and rejoined me to slaughter the rest of the goblins, who had retreated. We left no survivors, the macedwarf got a brand new shiny silver mace, and all was well in the world.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12972 on: August 30, 2016, 01:43:27 am »

Dwarven lands are crumbling, undead roam the land, elves have declared war. Something must be done.
Led a crusade of 12 drunks armed with scavenged weapons against a solitary tower in the center of the island.
Fierce battle, hacked as many as 11 necromancers heads off.

Gathered up all their books in my backpack and headed to the magma sea.
Dismiss companions, "It is for the best." For the good of all dwarf kind.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"It's a great day to fall in lava all over again!"
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12973 on: August 30, 2016, 02:38:44 am »

Proceeded playing with my 60k pop world.
My goal is to trigger the Age of Civilization, because humans are cool, and other creatures are too small and ugly, and deserve to die for my own enjoyment.

So, after murdering 300ish gobos, I slayed my 8th megabeast, successfully triggering the Age of Legends.
There is still a long way to go.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12974 on: August 30, 2016, 07:52:31 am »

so I just learned you can use vermin as items for reactions.
leading to crafting a battle axe made from a monarch butterfly chitin engraved with beetle, thrips, and worm spike parts.
sadly you can't keep them alive when you use them.
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: 1 ... 863 864 [865] 866 867 ... 1104