Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 875 876 [877] 878 879 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1995153 times)

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13140 on: October 22, 2016, 01:01:22 pm »

Decided to screw around big time. Took a swan man, tried to drop things on a kobold but he kept dodging. so i killed him. By repeatedly jumping into him, and he bled out. He got everything into red before he finally died. it turns out that enemies can jump out of your way even if they dont know your there, and they wont notice you if you dont get in their sightrange, though being stunned prevents it. i wonder whats a reliable way of causing stuns
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 01:11:19 pm by adamkad1 »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13141 on: October 22, 2016, 10:05:43 pm »

Decided to retire my old fort today and play adventure just to see the capital... We are at war with goblins (destroying almost all sites save the one I just retired) and the capital is basically nothing but goblins running around. Sure there were dwarves but also humans, tons of goblins though all part of the dwarven civilization, etc. Well Generic Dwarf Male #44332-445-2202A who is an EXCELLENT marksdwarf went berserk and just started killing every goblin in sight, this went well till the other dwarves (they do not deserve the name) decided he had killed to many of their beloved green skinned overlords and a hammerdwarf caved his skull in.

So the history books will simply read as just another random tantrum but none will remember the true dwarven patriot who fought to drive the goblins from his home. They will only remember this hero as #2202A-Marksdwarf. May Armok boil the "dwarven civilization" in magma for favoring their goblin conquerors.
That hammerdwarf is the hero they deserve.

thats a lot of arrow. now, who needs a bow or crossbow if you can just well throw arrows or bolts at people
While throwing is largely more efficient with less resource waste, you use bows/crossbows for roleplay reasons.

Decided to screw around big time. Took a swan man, tried to drop things on a kobold but he kept dodging. so i killed him. By repeatedly jumping into him, and he bled out. He got everything into red before he finally died. it turns out that enemies can jump out of your way even if they dont know your there, and they wont notice you if you dont get in their sightrange, though being stunned prevents it. i wonder whats a reliable way of causing stuns
To cause stuns, either charge your opponent to knock them down, or grab them and throw them. To reliably do either, you'd want to be bigger and stronger than your opponent.

Shots to the head also stun, but are less reliable to trigger.

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13142 on: October 23, 2016, 01:55:06 pm »

seems like your character is classified as obstacle for the reason of jumping into things... but seemingly bumping into enemies does not knock them out of air. i bumped into another kobold so much he traveled 4 tiles in a single tick. getting kinda bored here though... mayby im gonna make a panda man martial artist?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 02:18:47 pm by adamkad1 »

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13143 on: October 23, 2016, 01:56:06 pm »

Decided to retire my old fort today and play adventure just to see the capital... We are at war with goblins (destroying almost all sites save the one I just retired) and the capital is basically nothing but goblins running around. Sure there were dwarves but also humans, tons of goblins though all part of the dwarven civilization, etc. Well Generic Dwarf Male #44332-445-2202A who is an EXCELLENT marksdwarf went berserk and just started killing every goblin in sight, this went well till the other dwarves (they do not deserve the name) decided he had killed to many of their beloved green skinned overlords and a hammerdwarf caved his skull in.

So the history books will simply read as just another random tantrum but none will remember the true dwarven patriot who fought to drive the goblins from his home. They will only remember this hero as #2202A-Marksdwarf. May Armok boil the "dwarven civilization" in magma for favoring their goblin conquerors.
That hammerdwarf is the hero they deserve.

More like the hero they need but dont deserve
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 01:58:46 pm by adamkad1 »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13144 on: October 23, 2016, 04:07:23 pm »

More like the hero they need but dont deserve
His civ is in the thrall of its goblin overlords, so I'd say they deserve a hammerdwarf who's just a blind servant who will preserve that status-quo. They need that free-thinking marksdwarf. Funny thing you know. Batman always was just a servant of the status quo and the powers that be.

/////////////////////////////
After the raid on the hamlet held by that combined force of goblin and human bandits, and the improvement in observer and dodger which made it worthwhile to switch combat preferences from (stand ground)/(stand ground) to (move away) for dodge and (dodge away) for charge defense, there were ever more bandit groups. A group of elves in a hamlet ruined by a roc. Insurrections led by bandit goblin mace lords at two elven retreats.

As with melee, where the first combat goal is always to ground an opponent through leg and foot shots, and then to consciously inflict either a stun or nausea penalty (if the opponent is a threat) to halve their stats, ranged shares similar goals. Defensively Feb's shield user skill and dodger skill were well through proficient (lvl 5). Just not nearly enough to melee any weapon master (lvl 11). So Feb opts to use ranged versus both mace lords. The best case is they are shot and killed instantly or a major artery is torn open by an arrow. Otherwise ranged is to soften them up, firing first to certainly ground them, perhaps cause weapon/shield loss, and then to either render a nausea penalty, or firing enough shots so they give into pain before switching to melee to finish them. The first mace lord is grounded, drops her weapon, then made nauseous before Feb brains her. The second was shot until he gave into pain. Enough damage was done that he suffocated as Feb went to meet his rank and file in melee.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Feb's shield user skill and dodger skill both reached talented (lvl 6) at about this time. This marked the end of the early game stage for Feb. He was also less than a level away from becoming an master bowdwarf, and two from becoming a hammer lord.

Feb goes for a swim in a river after all that bandit business.
Of course, here he encounters an alligator. He swims by the alligator in the prone position. Once on the ground, he's removed the alligator's charge attack (as that's only versus someone standing) and hence no stun (which would drop Feb to a level 3 defense while moving at 0.099 speed). That's a thing other past characters used to do if they only had competent swimmer (as stun would cause them to suffer the drowning effect), which was run all aquatic combats from a grounded position as there's no movement speed change while swimming whether you stand or lie down, and the advantages of the water critter are neutralized.

After the swim and some time at an elven tavern, Feb decides to scout another part of a region called the Heavy Forest.
He had been looking for a black bear that was eating people, but found instead a few roaming sasquatch recruits and then due to fast travel zoom-in, the shrine of a forest titan.

The forest titan was organic. It was a rattlesnake covered in fur. It had a deadly spittle attack, so it was harmless. A titan is a level 6 monster, Feb's got level 6 defense and easily overmatches it with hammer skill in terms of the stat comparison, but narratively it'd be nonsensical to war hammer it to death. This run, just trying to be intuitive to the weapons available. A war hammer is an anti-armor weapon and aside from 2 hyenas, Feb has only used it on sentients bearing weapons. So, Feb volleys the titan to death with around 30 arrows.

Ending the world here. I'd have Feb set up a fortified house and retire there, but I realized the house would be made of wood and I figured out a stupid and silly way to make stone logs.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13145 on: October 24, 2016, 07:26:19 am »

read that tale and drew clearly the real hero.

a hero to all dwarf/goblin couples everywhere.

oh yeah I probably should start seeing if digging in camps is possible now with dfhack installed.
had a crash caused from trying to dismantle a wall I put up that was made with a dead corpse.
said corpse died to a vulture they killed then revived.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13146 on: October 24, 2016, 08:35:08 am »

Couple of quick things. First as always, your illustrations are awesome :). Second, the idea that the hammerdwarf is the hero I think goes against the DF narrative that goblins are evil. Personally I tend to have a view contrary to the conventional narrative. That sorta brings up an interesting story.

There was this artist who once did a web series about playing D&D with glamour models. He used to ask this question to determine what sort of player you were. "If you met some orcs would you (a) draw weapons and attack or (b) have a talk and sort it out?"

Respondents for A were old school D&D players that went with the worldview that orcs are evil. Pretty much a binary worldview where there are good guys and bad guys. Respondents for B were new school D&D players that went with the worldview that orcs are like anyone else. It's the worldview that people fall along a wide spectrum of behavior.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13147 on: October 24, 2016, 10:08:30 am »

Couple of quick things. First as always, your illustrations are awesome :). Second, the idea that the hammerdwarf is the hero I think goes against the DF narrative that goblins are evil. Personally I tend to have a view contrary to the conventional narrative. That sorta brings up an interesting story.

There was this artist who once did a web series about playing D&D with glamour models. He used to ask this question to determine what sort of player you were. "If you met some orcs would you (a) draw weapons and attack or (b) have a talk and sort it out?"

Respondents for A were old school D&D players that went with the worldview that orcs are evil. Pretty much a binary worldview where there are good guys and bad guys. Respondents for B were new school D&D players that went with the worldview that orcs are like anyone else. It's the worldview that people fall along a wide spectrum of behavior.
isn't the DF narrative The gods dwarves worship raised hellspawn that order the goblin hordes and then placed armed angelic creations to protect the slab that would banish them or make them your hell wife/husband?
so technically goblins are holy followers of the chosen demigod.  also soon to be randomized once the myth system gets added.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #13148 on: October 24, 2016, 10:33:39 am »

I really hope that the mythgen update is a step to randomizing some parts of entity ethics and values.

That would really increase replayability.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13149 on: October 24, 2016, 12:11:01 pm »

probably not given ethics are a raw thing, and to be randomized toady has to pull the raw mechanics out which might hurt the modding side.
now thinking on it the myths stuff really going to hurt the total conversion mods as they now have to handwave what weird origins for the world is.
"body swapping and YOU!"

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13150 on: October 24, 2016, 03:54:30 pm »

Messing around with modded adventures. How fun, in both Fun and normal fun types
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13151 on: October 24, 2016, 04:42:47 pm »

So I started out as a swordsman, sort of a warrior-skald type character. After managing to take down a giant cougar, a giant leopard, and a screaming troll, I figured I'd go after a giant dingo (named Eyoveri) I'd heard about. Well it turns out the dingo is a zombie and is all but impervious to being killed. I've knocked out all his teeth (including his eye teeth), mangled his toes, and now all he can do is shove at me and my bowman companion.

I figure I can eventually pulp his head if I keep attacking it, but it wears through my stamina to the point where I have to take breaks to rest. So Eyoveri has inadvertently turned into a danger room and is helping me train my combat skills and attributes up. Whoops.

Y'all think it'll be easier to (eventually) pulp his head if I use something that isn't a sword?

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13152 on: October 24, 2016, 05:19:57 pm »

I finally managed to kill 'Danger Room' Eyoveri (the Eyoveri part seems to be elven for 'Ageblush'). Moreover, thanks to his training, I've become a legendary shield user and fighter. Well, I guess I'll take it. Hopefully I don't have to fight another zombie in the near future--I've had about as much as I can handle.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13153 on: October 24, 2016, 05:30:56 pm »

You beat up a zombie dog for 40m.

This is the true essence of Adventure mode.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #13154 on: October 24, 2016, 05:50:02 pm »

I finally settled down my adventurer at a site he made himself. It's close enough to some goblins that I can crack open a vault soon.

Pages: 1 ... 875 876 [877] 878 879 ... 1103